Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Razorback basketball footage pre Triplets

Started by cmhogn, April 09, 2015, 12:29:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

cmhogn

There is all kinds of video of Razorback football from the 50's, 60's and 70's on you tube etc. I'm 41 and got to thinking I have never seen any video footage of the Lanny Van Eman years or the pre Triplet years under Coach Sutton. I realize our basketball program didn't take off again until Sutton arrived but has anyone ever seen any old games? I wonder if there is any old footage out there? I've always heard that Martin Terry was a wonderful player but have never seen any footage of him. Just curious.

TNhogfan

There is probably not much, if any, footage from that time period.  I was able to see the Hogs twice in Little Rock during the Van Eman years.  Martin Terry and Dean Tolson were and still are my favorite Razorbacks.  I only remember one game on TV during their time - a game at College Station which had a big brawl years and years before the Malice at the Palace in the NBA. 

Bud Campbell occasionally had highlights, but usually just a score; I'm not even sure the games were on radio, I know Campbell did not do them as I saw him visiting with fans while the game was going on at Barton one year.  I would get to see Terry and Tolson on the Van Eman show which I think was every Sunday.  I vaguely remember seeing Duddy Waller on a show during his time, but I don't recall if it were a coach's show or he was just on ch. 7 talking basketball. 

The Gazette and Democrat had some coverage, but nothing like either of them would during the Sutton years.  Basketball was just not important and it was really hard as a kid to be a Razorback fan living in southwest AR.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: cmhogn on April 09, 2015, 12:29:16 am
There is all kinds of video of Razorback football from the 50's, 60's and 70's on you tube etc. I'm 41 and got to thinking I have never seen any video footage of the Lanny Van Eman years or the pre Triplet years under Coach Sutton. I realize our basketball program didn't take off again until Sutton arrived but has anyone ever seen any old games? I wonder if there is any old footage out there? I've always heard that Martin Terry was a wonderful player but have never seen any footage of him. Just curious.

Van Eman liked to play even faster than Nolan. The problem was he didn't teach strong defense very simllar to Paul Westhead. He had several really good players. Martin was really good as was Dean Tolson. IF Lanny had been given a commitment to facilities and such and had he expoused even a little bit of defense then he may have lasted longer and Eddie might not have had to be hired. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

HawgnCorona

They didnt win much but they had some good players...Martin Terry is one of my all time favorites.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

Pancetta

From looking at record book Martin Terry could pour it in and that was without a 3 pt line.
Jump Ball / Re: Time to hit the panic button?
January 06, 2022, 05:32:59 pm
Nah. Every single transfer can score. The shots will come once the pecking order gets sorted out.
Pancetta

HawgnCorona

Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

justmaybe

Martin terry and dean tolsun were really good. Martin terry was like Ron Brewer with no controls from the coach on the offensive side.  They played really fast like Loyola Marymount did for awhile just absolutely no defense. Terry could really light it up . Tolsun could rebound anything

justmaybe

And the sawdust around the court in old barnhill arena was special

snf6278

I've heard my dad say several times that had there been a 3 point line back then that Terry would still hold the record to this day. He always gets brought up in our talks about razorback greats.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: snf6278 on April 09, 2015, 05:02:00 pm
I've heard my dad say several times that had there been a 3 point line back then that Terry would still hold the record to this day. He always gets brought up in our talks about razorback greats.

Delph was before the three also..................Him or Terry would have been in a race for the top honor.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

HawgnCorona

Martin Terry and Dean Tolson are two Razorbacks from the past that perhaps we dont speak enough about. Both the guys rank up there with the best in Razorback lore.

Did I mention guy by the name of Rick Tanneburger, he was pretty good too. Before the other two but.

TeedupHigh

Tolson class would have been a top 10 by today's standards!  That freshmen team was great!  Then they become sophs.........

Thepigdoctor

Quote from: TeedupHigh on April 09, 2015, 08:29:26 pm
Tolson class would have been a top 10 by today's standards!  That freshmen team was great!  Then they become sophs.........

By today's standards, Mr. Tolson would have had to prove he could read first.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Thepigdoctor on April 10, 2015, 02:55:43 am

There is always UNC............................academic fraud at it's finest.............................

kaiserhog

Martin Terry and Dean Tolson laid the predicate for the modern Razorback basketball program.  They were great players, in fact they should have a jersey/banner unveiled in BWA.

TNhogfan

Quote from: kaiserhog on April 10, 2015, 08:41:14 am
Martin Terry and Dean Tolson laid the predicate for the modern Razorback basketball program.  They were great players, in fact they should have a jersey/banner unveiled in BWA.
I do wish they would both be brought back and recognized along with some of those on Sutton's first two teams.  As a young teen, I became a Sonics fan from reading the box scores each day to see how Tolson did the night before.

TNhogfan

Quote from: Thepigdoctor on April 10, 2015, 02:55:43 am
Since he has now graduated twice under stricter standards than when he first went to the UofA, I don't think proving he can read would be a problem.

I'm sure you agree he is an all-time great Razorback and was fun to watch.

Kevin

I know tolson came back to school to work on his degree. I had a couple of classes with him. Nice guy
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

HawgnCorona

I would also put Almer Lee in that group as well...

jseinfeld50

Never have found out what the issues were for Martin Terry not sticking in the NBA. He was a 3rd round pick. Seems a little low because his ppg were 24 and 28 and his fg % were 47% and 52% (Ft of 79% and 86%).

Thepigdoctor

Quote from: TNhogfan on April 10, 2015, 11:36:27 am
Since he has now graduated twice under stricter standards than when he first went to the UofA, I don't think proving he can read would be a problem.

I'm sure you agree he is an all-time great Razorback and was fun to watch.

I certainly didn't mean to bash Mr. Tolson, in fact I have a tremendous amount of respect for what he came back to do.  Aditionally, his battle with Vicodin addiction is yet another example of a man who has really struggled with decision making. When you're in pain though, be it mental or physical, it's not hard to lose yourself to anything that will make each day a little more tolerable.

My post was more intended to shame those who looked the other way simply for their own benefit, never stopping to think of the impact of allowing him to remain illiterate. I'm sure no one took advantage of him, especially financially, simply because he had know way of knowing better. It's a shame just how corrupt the game has been over the years.

As for him on the court, I'm too young to have ever seen him play for the Hogs; with the extent of my knowledge about him coming about his story after returning to finish his degrees.

TNhogfan

Quote from: Thepigdoctor on April 10, 2015, 10:37:57 pm
I certainly didn't mean to bash Mr. Tolson, in fact I have a tremendous amount of respect for what he came back to do.  Aditionally, his battle with Vicodin addiction is yet another example of a man who has really struggled with decision making. When you're in pain though, be it mental or physical, it's not hard to lose yourself to anything that will make each day a little more tolerable.

My post was more intended to shame those who looked the other way simply for their own benefit, never stopping to think of the impact of allowing him to remain illiterate. I'm sure no one took advantage of him, especially financially, simply because he had know way of knowing better. It's a shame just how corrupt the game has been over the years.

As for him on the court, I'm too young to have ever seen him play for the Hogs; with the extent of my knowledge about him coming about his story after returning to finish his degrees.
I agree with you.  I think his story is a very sad one and one with responsibility in many areas:
Dean not getting his education in high school and college, but letting his play on the court get him by.
His high school coaches, teachers and administrators for not realizing; for not challenging him; for allowing the situation.
His college coaches and the way things were done then for letting him complete four years at the UofA with a 1.43 or something GPA.
The NBA and Seattle for not recognizing his problems.

I became a Seattle fan originally because they drafted him.  However, I am not sure financially he was not harmed by his lack of literacy.  I know one article I've read on him stated he was only 50 something days short of being in the NBA long enough to receive a full pension.  I don't know if Seattle or the NBA in general did anything to purposefully take advantage of him, but I am not sure they were proactive in making sure he understood everything either - such as how close he was to receiving a pension.  It is hard to believe someone at sometime did not see that the man could not read. 

Too bad you did not get to see him as he and Martin Terry were fun to watch.