Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Not a credible source, but: (re: Portis/Qualls)

Started by The_Iceman, April 08, 2015, 02:37:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Iceman

Josh Bertaccini ‏@RedZone921

Hearing from multiple sources that Bobby Portis will declare for the NBA draft while Michael Qualls will return to Arkansas for senior year.

jry04

He may end up being right, but JB is the least connected member of the local media. I know a lot of people do not like them, but when Dudley or Bo report, then I will start to believe it is true.

With that being said, he isn't exactly going out on a limb with this. It is what many have expected.

40MINSOFHELL

MB Hog

If true, let's hope Trey is ready to step up.  Who knows?

PorkRinds

Quote from: 40MINSOFHELL on April 08, 2015, 02:48:50 pm
I think if Portis goes, Qualls will go too.

I dunno.  Qualls becoming the leader of the time like Portis was this year could improve his draft stock if he improves his game at the same time.

40MINSOFHELL

Bacon_Bitz

He's probably right.  This options leaves the team with the widest possible range of outcomes for how good they could be, I think.  We might be a 5 seed again, we might be a low NIT seed.  I think Qualls will step up and really lead this team.

psooie

Good for Qualls, bad for portis hope he reconsiders.

jry04

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on April 08, 2015, 02:55:23 pm
He's probably right.  This options leaves the team with the widest possible range of outcomes for how good they could be, I think.  We might be a 5 seed again, we might be a low NIT seed.  I think Qualls will step up and really lead this team.
I agree with this. I think returning 1 of the 2 means we make the NCAAT. If Qualls improves as much going into next season as he has each year before, he will be a stud. We should have two good guards in Beard and Whitt. I think the big question mark will be how do our bigs develop in the offseason..

thebignasty

jry04

Quote from: thebignasty on April 08, 2015, 03:01:20 pm
Bertacinni is an absolute moron.
Absolutely true. He really is not very bright when it comes to sports. He always gets his facts completely wrong, and I know he isn't connected within the University. He cannot even get media credentials to attend games.

MB Hog

;)
Quote from: jry04 on April 08, 2015, 03:03:39 pm
Absolutely true. He really is not very bright when it comes to sports. He always gets his facts completely wrong, and I know he isn't connected within the University. He cannot even get media credentials to attend games.
So that means Qualls is going pro and Portis is staying, right?  ;)

jbhogfan4

I was told this past weekend by someone I consider to be well connected, that those in the program are expecting Portis back and Qualls likely to return. Things could've changed, but he was led to believe that.

Bacon_Bitz

Quote from: jry04 on April 08, 2015, 03:03:39 pm

Man, this actually gives me a little hope.  I had given up.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: jry04 on April 08, 2015, 02:58:49 pm
I think the big question mark will be how do our bigs develop in the offseason..

Time for Kingsley to step up.

jry04

Quote from: jbhogfan4 on April 08, 2015, 03:11:06 pm
I was told this past weekend by someone I consider to be well connected, that those in the program are expecting Portis back and Qualls likely to return. Things could've changed, but he was led to believe that.
That is what I have heard the same thing, but I am not getting my hopes up. Portis may have watched the Final Four and realized he is dead set on coming back, and then this morning woke up wanting to be a millionaire.

jry04

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on April 08, 2015, 03:11:28 pm
Man, this actually gives me a little hope.  I had given up.
I am not saying he is wrong, but he is definitely the least credible of anyone in NWA.

Nosboar Accubond

They will both declare. The only issue is nobody knows what they will be declaring. They will either declare for the NBA, or declare their intention to come back next year. Either way, there will be a declaration!

WPS  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

jbhogfan4

Quote from: jry04 on April 08, 2015, 03:12:41 pm
That is what I have heard the same thing, but I am not getting my hopes up. Portis may have watched the Final Four and realized he is dead set on coming back, and then this morning woke up wanting to be a millionaire.

I'm like you. I trust the one who told me that, but a situation like this could be fluid. Won't know for sure until they make something public

MB Hog

Are the NBA teams, scouts, etc. allowed to have contact with the players before they declare?  What about agents?

What worries me the most is who has their ear?

Soooie21

ricepig

Qualls picked up his schedule this week for next semester, not that that means anything.

woodhog14

Quote from: 40MINSOFHELL on April 08, 2015, 02:50:18 pm
Wish they would make a decision already.

Why? Just so you can know? These kids are making a decision for what is best for them. They should take their time and get all of the information they can to make an informed decision. That don't need to make a "decision already" just so fans know one way or the other.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: ricepig on April 08, 2015, 03:37:33 pm
Qualls picked up his schedule this week for next semester, not that that means anything.

yeah, probably wanting to get a good look at the classes he won't be taking.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

-Blu

jry04

Razorback basketball twitter page posted a picture of the team touring the new basketball facility after team workouts. Portis and Qualls were in it, just like they were in the picture on Monday showing the team getting back to work.

But Madden was too, so it likely doesn't mean anything.

-Blu

Quote from: jry04 on April 08, 2015, 04:05:49 pm
Razorback basketball twitter page posted a picture of the team touring the new basketball facility after team workouts. Portis and Qualls were in it, just like they were in the picture on Monday showing the team getting back to work.

But Madden was too, so it likely doesn't mean anything.

Madden putting together all those suspensions together he's had and trying to get credit for a redshirt and play another year.

Mike scheduled this tour of the B-Ball facility on purpose, using it to recruit Portis and Qualls right now.

Also, noticed TJ isn't in the picture he's probably interviewing for the SEMO job.

^ These are just a few comments fans will use to speculate these pictures :)

OptimusHog

Quote from: ricepig on April 08, 2015, 03:37:33 pm

What do you mean he "picked up his schedule"? You register for classes online via ISIS-unless athletes aren't registering for their own classes.

jry04

Quote from: OptimusHog on April 08, 2015, 04:28:48 pm
What do you mean he "picked up his schedule"? You register for classes online via ISIS-unless athletes aren't registering for their own classes.
I was wondering the same thing, unless he means he went to get advised. All athletes have to be advised.

ricepig

You don't think they trust athletes to pick their own classes, do you??  It just what I was told by someone who knows these things at the baseball game last night. Like I said, it doesn't mean anything, anyway.

jry04

Quote from: ricepig on April 08, 2015, 04:36:25 pm
You don't think they trust athletes to pick their own classes, do you??  It just what I was told by someone who knows these things at the baseball game last night. Like I said, it doesn't mean anything, anyway.
He was probably talking about being advised, which if true, would still lead you to think he is coming back because nobody is getting advised if they do not plan on coming back.

We will just have to wait and see.

ricepig

Quote from: jry04 on April 08, 2015, 04:40:40 pm
He was probably talking about being advised, which if true, would still lead you to think he is coming back because nobody is getting advised if they do not plan on coming back.

We will just have to wait and see.

True, I've got one working on his MBA up there, for the last 4 years I've asked if he's got his classes for the next semester, it was usually, "part of it", lol.

popcornhog

Quote from: 40MINSOFHELL on April 08, 2015, 02:48:50 pm
I think if Portis goes, Qualls will go too.

I keep hearing people say that and I don't get it.

My educated guess all along has been Portis goes and Qualls stays. Of course that's just a guess, but Qualls is not a lock for the first round. Portis is gonna go late lottery to mid first round. It just makes sense.
WPS

Thepigdoctor

They're both going to be Hogs forever, but will still be playing basketball in Hog uni's next season. If either, especially Portis, was declaring for the NBA, he would have done so by now.

I said this before and will say it again, Portis is as true a Razorback as there ever has been. He's not the type of person who is going to wait until the last minute, then leave those that have been loyal to him without options. His character is as high as they come and while declaring late would certainly not be a knock against his character, I see it as something that would bother him personally.

All year he's made it pretty clear he'll be back, echoed that post UNC loss, and I believe he views his Razorback career as incomplete until he's officially placed Arkansas basketball firmly back on the map. Just this one mans insignificant opinion, but that's how I see it.

I hope both men do what is best for themselves and their families and wish them both nothing but the best the world has to offer. Selfishly, I'd love to see them both get one step closer to their ultimate potential on the court as Hogs instead of bouncing around d-league/euro league/and bench time in the NBA. Getting one more season of full minutes would do more for their game than watching others play the game and practicing only to watch others get time in the next league.

BDSCT51

Quote from: Thepigdoctor on April 08, 2015, 07:57:42 pm

I hope both men do what is best for themselves and their families and wish them both nothing but the best the world has to offer. Selfishly, I'd love to see them both get one step closer to their ultimate potential on the court as Hogs instead of bouncing around d-league/euro league/and bench time in the NBA. Getting one more season of full minutes would do more for their game than watching others play the game and practicing only to watch others get time in the next league.

Summed up my feelings as well. Hoping they stick around but a tough decision at such an early age.
Bleeding Razorback Red

Craig O Squeal

ISIS? You serious, Clark? Them darn folks are everywhere...

thebignasty

Quote from: Craig O Squeal on April 09, 2015, 08:23:42 am
ISIS? You serious, Clark? Them darn folks are everywhere...
Having used ISIS in my time on the hill, it is no surprise to me that muslim extremists would adopt that title in the aim of inspiring horror in westerners.

PonderinHog

Like the mechanic said, "The suspension is killing me!" 

Three and Snout

Quote from: ricepig on April 08, 2015, 04:36:25 pm

The academic staff picks an athlete's classes based on his/her degree plan, and I believe they also enter the classes into ISIS.  An athlete can't drop a class.  The academic staff does that as well.

latrops

Quote from: popcornhog on April 08, 2015, 06:17:40 pm
I keep hearing people say that and I don't get it.

My educated guess all along has been Portis goes and Qualls stays. Of course that's just a guess, but Qualls is not a lock for the first round. Portis is gonna go late lottery to mid first round. It just makes sense.

This is my expectation, though nothing would surprise me.  Portis could come back, Qualls could leave....but in terms of what makes the most sense, Portis is the one with millions guaranteed and less room for improvement in terms of NBA draft positioning.  Qualls is on the NBA radar, but his current combination of size and skill doesn't project especially well to the NBA.  Improved defense, ball handling, and a more consistent perimeter shot could improve his NBA prospects significantly.  There shouldn't be a rush to leave school to play in the DLeague or Europe, though many do.

Bkhardicars

I hope both stay, but Qualls staying helps soften the blow of Portis leaving.

rwspear

Quote from: Nosboar Accubond on April 08, 2015, 03:14:32 pm
They will both declare. The only issue is nobody knows what they will be declaring. They will either declare for the NBA, or declare their intention to come back next year. Either way, there will be a declaration!

WPS  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

Nipsey Mussle

Inhogswetrust

Not a credible source? Is there any other kind? You mean there are some credible ones out there? Who knew!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Three and Snout on April 09, 2015, 10:26:28 am
The academic staff picks an athlete's classes based on his/her degree plan, and I believe they also enter the classes into ISIS.  An athlete can't drop a class.  The academic staff does that as well.

So ISIS has taken over college athletics! Call out the reserves and guards!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: BBsTheMan on April 09, 2015, 01:02:39 pm
Is this guy the new Mark "Scoop" Lericos?
ole scoop. My tag, lol. where dat dude end up?
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

TrueBlue

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on April 10, 2015, 09:11:43 am
ole scoop. My tag, lol. where dat dude end up?

Salesman for a Louisville station - not reporting sports any longer.

collins4heisman

Lol JB is a joke, don't take any of his sensationalist gossip bs as fact. I remember on his post game show after the ole miss loss.. The first thing he opened the segment about was him complaining about Mike Anderson supposedly not shaking the ole miss coaches' hand. He went on and on and on about it and was just trashing Anderson for not being sportsmanlike etc. Then it came out later that they did in fact shake hands and JB just didn't see it on the video he was watching from home. Lol. What a joke to call that "sports talk ". It reminded me more of a high school girl b****ing about the latest drama in the lunchroom.

kingcam25

Qualls was in class today my sister has a class with him and she sent me a picture