Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Portis and Qualls

Started by MB Hog, March 30, 2015, 01:50:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on March 31, 2015, 01:57:28 pm
But it may be a simple as "Even if he does not improve, would he go higher in the draft next year, because of who else is in the draft, or not?"

If I am ALMOST a Michael Jordan-type player, I would not want to be in the same draft as MJ. I go next year.

That is a question we were kind of kicking around earlier.  Each draft is different.  Teams have different needs, desires, thought process along with the pool being different.  I'm not sure how much his game improves if he were to come back as far as it relating to the NBA and increasing his value to the NBA scouts.  That doesn't equate though to where he is drafted.  It just takes one franchise or person in some cases to decide they want him whether it be this draft or next. 

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on March 31, 2015, 02:03:57 pm
I don't think Portis regresses. The NBA is such, that the later you stay in college, there is a perception that you have certain  flaws in your game. I'm not saying it's right, just the way it is. The people that are advising him will tell him this.

I have heard since the week before the SEC tourny, from folks that should know, that he is staying. I just have a hard time believing he will when he looks at all of his options.

If there is a concern, I don't think it is regression.  It is as mentioned earlier in thread, it gives scouts another year to pick over his game.  Perhaps potential or ceiling they see now changes after another college season.  I think they already believe he can increase his shooting range and has the footwork to develop a low post move and can defend decently in space against players his size. 

I don't think it is coming down to his basketball career as much as it is Bobby wanting to remain a college player and is torn because of the 1st round feedback. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HotlantaHog

Quote from: MB Hog on March 31, 2015, 02:33:54 pm
Even still, I reiterate my point that the decision is not necessarily all about money. He may really want to be part of a special Razorback team like Corliss was.  He may really like college life and getting to be a student and a kid.

As I mentioned in my OP, if I could have had a $1 million job coming out of high school, but had that same $1 million job waiting for me coming out of college, I would have waited on that payday because I wouldn't have wanted to miss out on the experience of being a college student.

I agree with that. I assume most of the folks making calculations that Bobby should go to the NBA now are in their 30s, 40s, 50s or whatever. But when you are in college, you only get the college experience once. If you enjoy it and want to graduate, you should stay.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on March 31, 2015, 09:21:53 am
First let me say, I hope he comes back. Now to give you a bigger reason to leave now.

Yes, IF he Is drafted 20th this year and IF he moved up to a lottery pick next season he would make a little more money his first contract, BUT it would put him one year further away from a contract that will really "pay the bills".
3.8million doesn't really pay the bills?
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: HotlantaHog on March 31, 2015, 03:00:42 pm
I agree with that. I assume most of the folks making calculations that Bobby should go to the NBA now are in their 30s, 40s, 50s or whatever. But when you are in college, you only get the college experience once. If you enjoy it and want to graduate, you should stay.

Yes most of us are adults although not all act like it.  Some selfishness has been on display especially since the season ended in relation to Bobby's decision. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on March 31, 2015, 01:58:38 pm
The money in the NBA is made in your second contract. If he leaves, he will be one year closer to the "real" money.

Yes, if there IS a second contract. About 50% of pro athletes (all sports) never get a second contract.

pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on March 31, 2015, 03:18:28 pm

Not like 12+

And he will only get 3.8 if he's a lottery pick, which he's not right now

thirrdegreetusker

And the 500 lb gorilla in the room is "Who really knows?"

GM Michael Jordan picked Kwame Brown as the #1 overall pick, the first high school senior EVER to be taken #1 overall. He may still be in the NBA, but I think he has never won a ring, and never made an all-star team.

But Tom Brady was still there when the Pats picked him at #199 in the draft, and folks now say he may be the best ever.

Pro scouting, evaluating, and drafting are notoriously inexact sciences.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on March 31, 2015, 03:47:13 pm
Not like 12+

............only get 3.8 if he's a lottery pick, which he's not right now

But could be next year..........

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: latrops on March 31, 2015, 02:40:10 pm
But does the "real" money go away?  What does it really matter whether a player gets a big raise at 24 rather than 25?  Is he guaranteed to have a better career and make more money by leaving now as opposed to next year?

I've expected all along that Portis would go to the NBA this offseason.  I don't fault him if that is what he chooses to do.  However, the idea that it would be a huge financial mistake for him to return isn't a given based on current draft projections.  If he is unable to raise his status above that of being picked in the 15 to 20 range this year or next, then he is anything but guaranteed a long NBA career in which he commands lucrative long term contracts.

It won't go away, but if he leaves this your or next, it won't matter towards his second contract. He is going to develop in the NBA more than he will at any college. Including his signing bonus, he will get around 3.5 million guaranteed if he goes this year. That's 3.5 that he will never get back.

As far as where you are drafted having a big impact on your long range earning ability, there isn't enough bandwidth on Hogville to type the names of guys drafted late first to early econd round who have earned 15-20 million in their careers or more. You don't have to Hall of Famer to be a huge success.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

Hawg Red

EDIT: Nope. I was wrong.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 31, 2015, 04:13:09 pm
NBA players don't get signing bonuses.

They do get income from sources in addition to their NBA contract and that can start before they are drafted. 

Hawg Red

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 31, 2015, 04:19:20 pm
They do get income from sources in addition to their NBA contract and that can start before they are drafted.

Well, it appears they can get signing bonuses.

But, yes, they can start to make endorsement money before signing an NBA contract. Someone like Bobby is not likely to make much there, though. Not enough of a name. Would probably get a shoe deal that basically just gives him a bunch of free shoes and an allowance for whatever brand's products.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 31, 2015, 04:21:13 pm
Well, it appears they can get signing bonuses.

But, yes, they can start to make endorsement money before signing an NBA contract. Someone like Bobby is not likely to make much there, though. Not enough of a name. Would probably get a shoe deal that basically just gives him a bunch of free shoes and an allowance for whatever brand's products.

And some local or regional possibilities.  Not a huge amount but he can start earning on his basketball reputation as soon as he stops being an amateur especially inside Arkansas. 

PonderinHog

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on March 31, 2015, 03:18:28 pm
No, not the 5 million dollar ones.  Just the small ones.

mbgrulz

Not like 12+

He's got a MUCH better shot at a lottery spot than 12 million per. That's top 40 money. He's not getting that kind of deal. There's a GREAT chance his rookie deal is his best deal.

pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: mbgrulz on March 31, 2015, 08:50:08 pm
He's got a MUCH better shot at a lottery spot than 12 million per. That's top 40 money. He's not getting that kind of deal. There's a GREAT chance his rookie deal is his best deal.

I was allowing for the cost of living raises over the next 3-4 year's. Lol

Hog_Swanson

When is the deadline to declare for the draft?
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

MikePiazza

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on April 08, 2015, 03:14:29 pm
When is the deadline to declare for the draft?

April 26. April 14 is deadline to say you're coming back if you haven't signed with an agent.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

Hawg Red

There's an NBA deadline (26th) and an NCAA deadline (14th). You can declare after the 14th but you can't come back to school.

HogMantheIntruder

Not like 12+

I have nothing to contribute.  Just wanted to ask who that is in your avatar??
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon