Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Myths Dispelled This Season

Started by Breems, March 22, 2015, 03:08:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Breems

This style is outdated, can't win in the SEC, and can't win on the road: This broadcast was stuck on repeat for 3 years. Scoreboard.

This staff can't recruit: Scoreboard. Also, we have 2 Top 50 recruits headed to the Hill next season. We've missed on recruiting quality guards, but we seem to have finally stopped the bleeding with the addition of Beard and Whitt.

Mike only wants to recruit athletes and not basketball players: This is one of the dumber myths I've seen in the past few years, but it was a very popular one. Due to the fact that we were in a complete rebuild, we did not instantly fill our recruiting classes with "basketball players" AKA 5* recruits. We had to fill them with "athletes" AKA average basketball players. Hopefully some have seen the light here.

Stars can't shine here: Portis and Qualls demolished this one. The best players will be given opportunities just like every other style of basketball.

Above all else, I was so happy to see the incessant drivel about the "system" reduced to what it should be, i.e. the valid complaints are addressed but not every second of every loss is attributed to it.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

chiefhawg

One more. Mike does not play young players. Although Beard has an old man's game.

HSVhogfan2

The Jumpball "game forum" is a great way to track the game if you are traveling or can't watch. Nothing in there but pertinent, game info.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

Biggus Piggus

Another: Players don't improve under MA. That looks especially dumb now. We should go through the post history, identify everyone who has ever posted that, and delete their accounts.
[CENSORED]!

Breems

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 22, 2015, 03:17:11 pm
Another: Players don't improve under MA. That looks especially dumb now. We should go through the post history, identify everyone who has ever posted that, and delete their accounts.

Indeed, Biggus. Indeed.

Or, at the very least, give them a signature with a 16pt red font that reads "I will not say stupid MA stuff again" 100 times.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

MountieDawg

I do think there was much improvement this year, but I bet most people were expecting more than 1 tournament win in 4 years. Anyone being honest would admit that. But if Portis and Qualls stay MA should be able to keep momentum going from this year.
SEC!

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: MountieDawg on March 22, 2015, 07:45:23 pm
I do think there was much improvement this year, but I bet most people were expecting more than 1 tournament win in 4 years. Anyone being honest would admit that. But if Portis and Qualls stay MA should be able to keep momentum going from this year.

Most people may have been expecting that, but most people don't know jack squat about basketball, so I don't really care what they think.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

Danny J

That IMO is the biggest one. The improvement from both Portis and especially Qualls is off the chart. That will pay dividends in recruiting.

Oklahawg

From HS player at time of inking a LOI to the end of year 3 Qualls has shown more growth than Scotty Thurman. Both were rather unheralded LA recruits who came to UA and flourished. We can debate but a case could be made that Qualls is better prepared for a pro career than was Scotty.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

choppedporkextrasauce

Michael Qualls stuffed that myth.

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: Oklahawg on March 22, 2015, 08:58:55 pm
From HS player at time of inking a LOI to the end of year 3 Qualls has shown more growth than Scotty Thurman. Both were rather unheralded LA recruits who came to UA and flourished. We can debate but a case could be made that Qualls is better prepared for a pro career than was Scotty.

I don't think there is a debate on the Pro career.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

chiefhawg

Quote from: sevenof400 on March 22, 2015, 09:35:47 pm
So in being consistent with the topic of this thread, what say you about the performance of the SEC in the tournament?  It has to be disappointing (at least somewhat) after the promise shown during the regular season as several SEC enjoyed some of their higher RPI (and other) rankings in some time. 
The topic was about the myths concerning CMA and the Razorbacks.

Atlhogfan1

March 23, 2015, 12:06:53 am #12 Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 01:54:41 am by Atlhogfan1
What service/ranking has Whitt in their top 50?  I've seen in the 50s to 70s.

Portis' and Qualls' minutes this season are among the highest of any Anderson player he has ever had.  Other Anderson players who have played a 1000+ minutes in a season in a varying amount of games:
2002-3 UAB: Finley, Bush, Eddins
2004-5 UAB: Squeaky Johnson
2008-9 Mizzou: Carroll and Taylor
2010-11 Mizzou: Denmon
It looked like it affected Portis.
I believe the discussion was in relation to trying to recruit elite players who would want a significant amount of minutes early. 

Quote from: chiefhawg on March 22, 2015, 03:10:27 pm
One more. Mike does not play young players. Although Beard has an old man's game.

Beard didn't play much until the last part of January and even with being held out has looked physically done for at least the last 3 weeks.  2 of 17 from 3, 13 assists to 8 turnovers.  Whitt sounds like and looks the part from what I've seen of a guard that can excel in what we do.  But don't expect Mike to throw him in for 25 minutes a game immediately and don't expect a program changer as a freshman. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Oklahawg

Hogs playing well in the tourney is a myth dispelled - MA's bunch will fade at the end. Anyone playing KY twice in the end game is going to have 2 losses this year.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

WarPig88

Quote from: MountieDawg on March 22, 2015, 07:45:23 pm

Yep. After one tourney win in the previous 10 years, I can see how expectations would be so high.

SMH

TomBigBeeHog

Razorback fans will appreciate a winning basketball team
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

MountieDawg

Quote from: WarPig88 on March 23, 2015, 12:18:27 am
Yep. After one tourney win in the previous 10 years, I can see how expectations would be so high.

SMH

I agree with you but the 1st year he had the hogs best recruiting class ever and people were expecting Sweet 16s by year 2. I didn't but it you go back and look at threads from his hire.... Many people did...  He is right where I expected.
SEC!

urkillnmesmalls

While I appreciate Breem's efforts here, even he has been critical at times this season.  Most of us have been.  It's what fans do.  KY could potentially lose 1 game this season, and if they do, KY will have critical fans.  It's really just down to what levels are acceptable based on expectations.  I thought this teams showed huge improvement, and it's hard to argue that point.   

For me, the difference is that we'll still have fans who will argue that what we saw this season was the best MA has to offer.  With the best talent we can assimilate, we played a lackluster game, allowed one player to beat us, and didn't play with discipline.  I'm not agreeing, I'm just saying that sentiment isn't going anywhere, because anything less than a NC has room for criticism.   

It's not enough that we didn't play out best game and lost to a pretty good NC team with more experience, and arguably more depth.  There will always be an underlying negative tone for some people. 

To be honest, I don't know where I lie right now.  I see a work in progress, but I like what I've seen thus far.  If Portis and Qualls stay, I expect some pretty good things next season.  If they leave, then I expect a dip, but then to see a quick rebound in the following years.  How much will losing those two impact us either next year, or the year after?  Will we have replacements, and will we see the overall talent increase?  The next 3-5 years will say a lot, and I think the jury is still out.  But if you're basing your assessment on improvement to this point, then I struggle to see how anyone could argue that it hasn't been significant.   

What I have learned is this.  We're not going to change styles.  No matter how much it was obvious our press didn't cause a single turnover, and they were getting layups at times when they beat it quickly, I was never expecting us to drop back in the half court.  I may not understand why we don't try something different all of the time, but I certainly know THAT we won't. 

But...if we had a team that could shoot the ball at the level Dayton did against KY in the women's game yesterday afternoon, it wouldn't matter.  That was remarkable. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

GS99

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on March 23, 2015, 12:20:32 am
Razorback fans will appreciate a winning basketball team
There are a lot of systems that will work well if you have good players and do it very well.  Wisconsin's system is basically the opposite of the Hogs'.  They minimize fouls and turnovers and opponents' offensive rebounds.  If they execute it really well, it works and they win.  They can get pretty far without great talent if they are super disciplined and execute, but it helps a lot if they have really good players.  Same story with the Hogs' system - they can beat teams with superior talent if they run the system perfectly, but you need top players to get very far.

No matter the system, winning is what makes it appealing. 

twistitup

Stan's firing was a mistake - his style was more methodical / fundamental and maybe we let him go too soon.

Wrong.....I'm loving old school hog ball

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

GS99

Quote from: twistitup on March 23, 2015, 06:57:24 am
Stan's firing was a mistake - his style was more methodical / fundamental and maybe we let him go too soon.

Stan was fired because we had the savior Billy Gillespie coming in.

That style was ugly when they weren't winning.  When Michigan State wins, it's still ugly but winning makes it likable.

I liked Stan a lot, and thought his firing was unfair, but it's not like he's proven to be a superstar coach.  He did okay in a tough situation at Arkansas and okay, some real good years and some real bad years, at South Florida.  He's an okay coach.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on March 22, 2015, 07:51:09 pm
Most people may have been expecting that, but most people don't know jack squat about basketball, so I don't really care what they think.

It's outlandish and unreasonable to expect more than a win over Wofford in the only tournament appearance of any kind in four years?  At Arkansas?

My, how the lowering of expectations for all things Razorback sports related has been a smashing success.

When you start with the premise that "we can't be expected to win anything" it's pretty easy to call even the smallest of accomplishments an outstanding performance.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Breems on March 22, 2015, 03:08:28 pm
This style is outdated, can't win in the SEC, and can't win on the road: This broadcast was stuck on repeat for 3 years. Scoreboard.

This staff can't recruit: Scoreboard. Also, we have 2 Top 50 recruits headed to the Hill next season. We've missed on recruiting quality guards, but we seem to have finally stopped the bleeding with the addition of Beard and Whitt.

Mike only wants to recruit athletes and not basketball players: This is one of the dumber myths I've seen in the past few years, but it was a very popular one. Due to the fact that we were in a complete rebuild, we did not instantly fill our recruiting classes with "basketball players" AKA 5* recruits. We had to fill them with "athletes" AKA average basketball players. Hopefully some have seen the light here.

Stars can't shine here: Portis and Qualls demolished this one. The best players will be given opportunities just like every other style of basketball.

Above all else, I was so happy to see the incessant drivel about the "system" reduced to what it should be, i.e. the valid complaints are addressed but not every second of every loss is attributed to it.

Great thread!

MountieDawg

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 23, 2015, 09:05:38 am
It's outlandish and unreasonable to expect more than a win over Wofford in the only tournament appearance of any kind in four years?  At Arkansas?

My, how the lowering of expectations for all things Razorback sports related has been a smashing success.

When you start with the premise that "we can't be expected to win anything" it's pretty easy to call even the smallest of accomplishments an outstanding performance.

Erie is right.... to say fans dont know basketball because they expected more than 1 NCAAT win of Wooford in 4 years is nuts. Qualls said after the game the Hogs are now a Top 10 program. He expects more.
SEC!

Cresthog

Four years? It's been 6 years.

And this season was highly successful. With the draw we got in the NCAAT, winning one and keeping it close most of the game against UNC was a big accomplishment.

I picked the Hogs in all my brackets against UNC but I knew in reality we had a very very slim chance of winning.

Things could have been a lot worse for us, see ISU and Baylor.

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: sevenof400 on March 22, 2015, 09:35:47 pm
So in being consistent with the topic of this thread, what say you about the performance of the SEC in the tournament?  It has to be disappointing (at least somewhat) after the promise shown during the regular season as several SEC enjoyed some of their higher RPI (and other) rankings in some time.

LSU had the most epic choke job in the history of BB. I had them actually beating Villanova. GA got a terrible matchup, I had MI State in final 4 from that region. Ole Miss, well, turned into bad Bo.

Veni Sancte Spiritus

EastexHawg

Quote from: Cresthog on March 23, 2015, 10:07:49 am
Four years? It's been 6 years.

I know that.  I'm only talking about Mike Anderson's tenure.

From 1977-1996, a two decade period during which we made 18 NCAA tournament appearances, there was never a four year stretch during which the Hogs didn't beat someone much more accomplished than Wofford.  We were something like 36-17 in the tournament over a 23 year span from 1977-1999.

It can be done, but if lowering expectations makes you happy then by all means have at it.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 23, 2015, 10:59:58 am
I know that.  I'm only talking about Mike Anderson's tenure.

From 1977-1996, a two decade period during which we made 18 NCAA tournament appearances, there was never a four year stretch during which the Hogs didn't beat someone much more accomplished than Wofford.  We were something like 36-17 in the tournament over a 23 year span from 1977-1999.

It can be done, but if lowering expectations makes you happy then by all means have at it.

If Mike was taking over after Nolan expectations would be higher than Wofford. But Pel and Stan ran the program to ground before he got here.

latrops

Quote from: twistitup on March 23, 2015, 06:57:24 am

Nobody wanted to keep Heath around.  He was given 5 years and finished .500 or better in conference only once.  His last team wasn't very good (7-9 in conference) but pulled off a miracle run in the SECT to get into the NCAAT.  Arkansas was 0-2 in the NCAAT under Heath.  Heath combined mediocre at best results with a dull style of play.  The majority of fans were glad when he was let go.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: latrops on March 23, 2015, 11:12:48 am
Nobody wanted to keep Heath around.  He was given 5 years and finished .500 or better in conference only once.  His last team wasn't very good (7-9 in conference) but pulled off a miracle run in the SECT to get into the NCAAT.  Arkansas was 0-2 in the NCAAT under Heath.  Heath combined mediocre at best results with a dull style of play.  The majority of fans were glad when he was let go.

Didn't help that Heath ran our APR into the ground

The_Iceman

We got unlucky in our NCAAT draw. You switch us with multiple other teams in the bracket, even lower seeds, and we would have gone to the Sweet 16, easy. Instead, we face an undervalued UNC team that have McDonalds All-American players all over their roster in the second round.

Southern Hogspitality

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on March 22, 2015, 07:51:09 pm
Jimmy Dykes would disagree with you on this one and I bet he knows more about basketball than most people.

Corkscrew Johnson

At 10,000ft, you are correct.  At 10,000ft, communism works.

But when you deal with the actual facts...where we were, the total void of experience and talent, the recruits we had lined up, the apathy of the fanbase, the reliance on underclassmen....the expectations of the reasonable and rational were that we rebuild the foundation and improve year after year, which we have done.  If your expectations were based on something that happened 20 years ago, well sorry Ms. Judd, no one wants to see your tits anymore.  You can call that a loser's mentality if you want, but it's not going to change the fact that 100% of what I said above is true.

southarkhog06

Quote from: MountieDawg on March 23, 2015, 10:05:09 am
Erie is right.... to say fans dont know basketball because they expected more than 1 NCAAT win of Wooford in 4 years is nuts. Qualls said after the game the Hogs are now a Top 10 program. He expects more.
I want the team and CMA to expect more. I don't want them to be happy till they win it all.

What I don't want is some out of shape middle aged dude who peaked in high school telling me im dumb for being happy as hell about what this team accomplished this year.

latrops

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 23, 2015, 11:20:13 am
We got unlucky in our NCAAT draw. You switch us with multiple other teams in the bracket, even lower seeds, and we would have gone to the Sweet 16, easy. Instead, we face an undervalued UNC team that have McDonalds All-American players all over their roster in the second round.

It's not fair.  We shouldn't have had to play anyone decent.   ::)

MountieDawg

Quote from: southarkhog06 on March 23, 2015, 12:26:45 pm
I want the team and CMA to expect more. I don't want them to be happy till they win it all.

What I don't want is some out of shape middle aged dude who peaked in high school telling me im dumb for being happy as hell about what this team accomplished this year.

You have every right to be happy about the win over Wofford....I am just saying that most on the site expected more than 1 trip to the tourney with a win against Wofford in MA's first 4 years. Not saying MA should be fired or anything like that. The team is moving in the right direction, most just thought it would be sooner.
SEC!

Atlhogfan1

March 23, 2015, 12:37:18 pm #36 Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 02:05:08 pm by Atlhogfan1
There were overstated expectations for what Mike Anderson would do at Arkansas immediately if hired and what he would be doing as head coach if only he were the head coach of that season's team during the 9 year campaign before he was hired.  They weren't reasonable or rational.  The expectations since have been very fluid. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Kevin

i thought this years result, would have been last year.

with that said, i think this year's result, will be the result on most years.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

southarkhog06

Quote from: MountieDawg on March 23, 2015, 12:33:36 pm
You have every right to be happy about the win over Wofford....I am just saying that most on the site expected more than 1 trip to the tourney with a win against Wofford in MA's first 4 years. Not saying MA should be fired or anything like that. The team is moving in the right direction, most just thought it would be sooner.
I just have no idea how anyone could have expected more with the state our program was in 4 yrs ago. The only difference between what I expected 4 yrs ago and what happened is I picked us being in the tourney and one and done last year so I guess they were slightly below my expectations last year.

for the record I wasn't directing the middle aged dude comment toward you. It was directed toward any arbitrary person who thinks they are smarter than everybody else because of their HS accomplishments.

SwinerBock

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on March 23, 2015, 12:11:40 pm
At 10,000ft, you are correct.  At 10,000ft, communism works.

But when you deal with the actual facts...where we were, the total void of experience and talent, the recruits we had lined up, the apathy of the fanbase, the reliance on underclassmen....the expectations of the reasonable and rational were that we rebuild the foundation and improve year after year, which we have done.  If your expectations were based on something that happened 20 years ago, well sorry Ms. Judd, no one wants to see your tits anymore.  You can call that a loser's mentality if you want, but it's not going to change the fact that 100% of what I said above is true.

Speak for yourself.

southarkhog06

Quote from: Kevin on March 23, 2015, 12:38:10 pm

If we can make a final four run every 5 yrs or so and win another NC within the next 10-12 yrs :D. that will be fine, if we get mired in mediocrity (i.e. one and done our one win most years and topping out at the occasional sweet 16 run) I will be disappointed.

WarPig88

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 23, 2015, 12:37:18 pm
There were overstated expectations during the 9 year campaign before he was hired.  They weren't reasonable or rational.  The expectations since have been very fluid.

??????

In the 9 years of Pel and Heath, expectations were low. There were people upset because we fired a coach who backed into the tournament in years 4 and 5 with embarrassing tournament losses to Bucknell and USC.

By the time Pel was let go, people were arguing that he should stay because of his recruiting class.

Expectations weren't raised until AFTER we hired MA, IMO. Then you had people claiming that all we needed was a coach, blah, blah, blah.

MA is right on course with what Nolan did in his first 4 seasons here, minus 1 tourney appearance. The exact same amount of post season wins though.

Things are looking up if you are an objective observer.

MikePiazza

Quote from: Kevin on March 23, 2015, 12:38:10 pm

Is that a bad thing? Kansas has won 11 Big 12 titles in a row with the guy many in Hog Nation wished had been able to come here (Self) in 2002 and they haven't gotten past the first weekend the last two years, losing to Stanford and Wichita.

Self has also lost to Northern Iowa in the round of 32 as a 1 seed, and lost to Bucknell and Bradley as a 3 and a 4 seed.

It's hard to advance in March. Unless your name is K, Izzo, Pitino, Roy or Calipari, there's a good chance you're not playing past the first weekend, if making the tourney at all.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: WarPig88 on March 23, 2015, 12:50:43 pm
??????

In the 9 years of Pel and Heath, expectations were low. There were people upset because we fired a coach who backed into the tournament in years 4 and 5 with embarrassing tournament losses to Bucknell and USC.

By the time Pel was let go, people were arguing that he should stay because of his recruiting class.

Expectations weren't raised until AFTER we hired MA, IMO. Then you had people claiming that all we needed was a coach, blah, blah, blah.

MA is right on course with what Nolan did in his first 4 seasons here, minus 1 tourney appearance. The exact same amount of post season wins though.

Things are looking up if you are an objective observer.

My post went way over your oversensitive head.

Those who campaigned for 9 years to bring Anderson back overstated what he would do by now including immediately if he were hired.  They stated what he would have done with the Heath or Pelphrey teams if he had been coach.  Every success he had at UAB or Mizzou turned into what he would be doing if he were coach at Arkansas and what would immediately happen if he were hired.  They weren't reasonable.  And it was unfair to Mike.  After he was hired, suddenly they became very reasonable and fluid with the expectations.  This group built up the expectations before he was hired. 

Things are looking up.  Mike is a better coach than our last two.  That is stating the obvious.  Neither were qualified for or ready for our job. 

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

WarPig88

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 23, 2015, 12:57:24 pm
My post went way over your oversensitive head.

Those who campaigned for 9 years to bring Anderson back overstated what he would do by now including immediately if he were hired.  They stated what he would have done with the Heath or Pelphrey teams if he had been coach.  Every success he had at UAB or Mizzou turned into what he would be doing if he were coach at Arkansas and what would immediately happen if he were hired.  They weren't reasonable.  And it was unfair to Mike.  After he was hired, suddenly they became very reasonable and fluid with the expectations.  This group built up the expectations before he was hired. 

Things are looking up.  Mike is a better coach than our last two.  That is stating the obvious.  Neither were qualified for or ready for our job.

MA was held to a higher standard than either of the mediocre coaches before him from the jump.

Expectations weren't fluid at all. The talk was that MA was on the hot seat THIS SEASON and had to show something or get ready to get off the pot.

Even though his first years were far more productive than the previous two coaches early years had been.

What's worse is, Heath could still recruit off our tradition at the time. By the time MA got here, Heath and Pel had destroyed that tradition and made it as relevant as UNLV's tradition is today.

You are just a hater and your revisionist history about expectations will not go unchallenged. MA is here to stay for a while now. You better get used to it.

And by the way, expectations have already risen even more if Portis and Qualls come back.

Kevin

Quote from: MikePiazza on March 23, 2015, 12:53:34 pm
Is that a bad thing? Kansas has won 11 Big 12 titles in a row with the guy many in Hog Nation wished had been able to come here (Self) in 2002 and they haven't gotten past the first weekend the last two years, losing to Stanford and Wichita.

Self has also lost to Northern Iowa in the round of 32 as a 1 seed, and lost to Bucknell and Bradley as a 3 and a 4 seed.

It's hard to advance in March. Unless your name is K, Izzo, Pitino, Roy or Calipari, there's a good chance you're not playing past the first weekend, if making the tourney at all.

kansas fans should be upset. most years, they should be elite eight.

this year's team, was not an ordinary team.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Cresthog

snortman

Quote from: Breems on March 22, 2015, 03:08:28 pm

I will say the Myth that MA teams are built for tournament play is a myth as well.

MikePiazza

Quote from: Kevin on March 23, 2015, 01:07:56 pm
kansas fans should be upset. most years, they should be elite eight.

this year's team, was not an ordinary team.

I'll agree there, but he's had teams that should've won it all ('10, '11) and fell short to Northern Iowa and VCU.

If Mike gets us to the round of 32 every year, I'll be happy. I think next year's team, if Portis and Qualls come back, could easily be an Elite Eight team, and if Monk and Willis come with one more big in '16, Final Four is very reasonable in '17.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.