Gafford stays but Garland is not cleared to play
32 (13.4%)
Gafford goes into the draft but Garland is cleared to play
38 (15.9%)
Gafford goes into the draft and Garland is not cleared to play
73 (30.5%)

Total Members Voted: 239

checkraiser88

March 16, 2018, 04:22:18 pm Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 12:15:40 pm by Kevin McPherson
Hope you have a wonderful career. We barely knew ya

BannerMountainMan

After this performance he needs to go overseas
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

TNhawgfan

What a way to leave. One of his worst games all season
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

The_Bionic_Pig

2-9 7pts may be the best thing to happen to Arkansas
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

RazorSax

After this is how his opportunity on the big stage of college basketball went, he needs to stay in school. On the other hand, how well will he be developed here? It's really tragic that he should feel obligated to leave simply because the ceiling here is so unfortunately low.

yraciv

Well he certainly didn't look like it tonight,but yeah we hardly knew you. Over/under on him getting drafted before where Portis did at 22. I'll take the under.

Hog_Fink

why were we giving him back to basket looks?

johnfanman

This showing didn't do much for his NBA draft stock. He would still be drafted, but I bet he falls after this. Maybe a year or two to develop a 15 ft. jumper and less fouling. That would make him top 10 I would imagine. But, who knows, it would be hard to pass up guaranteed millions at 19.
Watching the Hogs through hell or high water.

hawgsalot

He needs to get stronger period, he got pushed around and took just horrible shots.  One thing for sure when the ball got to him, he wasn't passing.  They didn't even double him because they knew he was easily pushed around.  Really pathetic performance on both ends of court.

HappyFan

SooieGeneris

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on March 16, 2018, 04:22:41 pm
After this performance he needs to go overseas

I'm not sure he could play at that infamous place in Egypt based on today, but if he wants to sit on the end of the bench in the NBA next season, fine..
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

RazorPiggie

Quote from: HappyFan on March 16, 2018, 04:32:00 pm
Bi-polar much?

Lol I know. I said he wasn't ready and that he needed to work on a mid range game but was told he'll get drafted in the 1st round and can develop that in the G league.

yraciv

It's not glamorous, but the G League is a viable option to develop your game. The NBA has done a good job coming up with a respectable minor league system in recent years.  On top of that the 20th pick in the draft gets 1.5 million in year 1, so Gafford will get paid unless he falls past the 1st round, which I don't think is possible.

Grumpypenguin

Quote from: galactivation on March 16, 2018, 04:25:01 pm

This is actually what lost us this game. The constant trying to feed Gafford inside completely shutdown the motion offense multiple times, theres a reason our best runs this game were with Gafford on the bench

buldozer

Hes had more than one dud game like today during the year. If a team wants to gamble burning an early pick for the future seems up in the air to me. But thats just me.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: Grumpypenguin on March 16, 2018, 04:41:10 pm
This is actually what lost us this game. The constant trying to feed Gafford inside completely shutdown the motion offense multiple times, theres a reason our best runs this game were with Gafford on the bench
then why do almost every poster is complaining that's why we lost because we didn't feed him the ball
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

MemphisBossHog

If he goes, he will be absolutely chewed up and spit out by the actual "men" in the league.  He is a baby and is no way ready for NBA. He's a good dunker and that's it when comparing him to pro players . He got outplayed and shoved around by freakin Butler. He could give the team 9 whole pts when they needed him.  NOT READY NOT CLOSE

liljo

Many kids dream of being able to call Mom and say, "Mom, you never have to go to work again."

If the NBA throws enough money Daniel's way that he can make that call, he should take it.
Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

Grumpypenguin

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on March 16, 2018, 04:43:45 pm
then why do almost every poster is complaining that's why we lost because we didn't feed him the ball

probably because they didn't watch the game? our offense broke down everytime Gafford was on the floor and was much better with him on the bench

The_Bionic_Pig

#1. He will declare would be a fool not to

#2. He will evaluated and he will forced to matchup against other NBA level PF/C and his lack of a shot outside 5' will be exposed.

#3. Following his evaluation a decision will be made.... Dudley has stated that he fully expects Daniel to return for his Sophomore year.

#4 Next season the interior will have more Offense punch with Cook gone.

A 6'9 38" vertical jumping pogo stick playing alongside him and a 6'8 Isaiah Butch Morris PF in Reggie Chaney.

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: liljo on March 16, 2018, 04:46:49 pm
Many kids dream of being able to call Mom and say, "Mom, you never have to go to work again."

If the NBA throws enough money Daniel's way that he can make that call, he should take it.

Dude this decision will not be financially based...his family is doing just fine.... actually very well.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Oliver

Gafford would be a fool to stick around for another year of Anderson's S Show.  We saw what it did for Macon and Barford

Soooie21

he might want to play a season with his buddy coming to the hill next season.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: Oliver on March 16, 2018, 05:00:00 pm
Gafford would be a fool to stick around for another year of Anderson's S Show.  We saw what it did for Macon and Barford

Sorry Chris Beard ain't coming Oliver...his next stop is too his Alma Mata *Texas* at the end of next season.

By the way Coach Anderson exceeded your personal expectations ...as I recall:

Quote from: Oliver on January 18, 2018, 07:54:33 pm
If you consider the SECT conference play, 7-12 is very likely.

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

TeufelHog

Gafford isn't ready, but will be crazy not to leave for the NBA.  He will not develop any further under this coaching staff.

Oliver

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on March 16, 2018, 05:06:34 pm
Sorry Chris Beard ain't coming Oliver...his next stop is too his Alma Mata *Texas* at the end of next season.

By the way Coach Anderson exceeded your personal expectations ...as I recall:

Doesn't need to be Chris Beard for me to be happy.  And no Mike didn't exceed my expectations.  They were "as expected".  Which doesn't mean I thought we didn't have more potential.  They are just what I thought Mike would do for us

RazorPiggie

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on March 16, 2018, 04:59:53 pm
Dude this decision will not be financially based...his family is doing just fine.... actually very well.

Good to know. Plus sounds like momma wants him in school for a couple of years.

RebHog

He is absolutely ready if he lands on a team that can use him like a Clint Capela on the rockets team. I look forward to watching him in the league along with Portis.

3kgthog

Sorry, but he'd be dumb to come back and try to lead the group we'll have next year.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Oliver on March 16, 2018, 05:10:17 pm
Doesn't need to be Chris Beard for me to be happy.  And no Mike didn't exceed my expectations.  They were "as expected".  Which doesn't mean I thought we didn't have more potential.  They are just what I thought Mike would do for us

Why are you complaining?

hawgsalot

I just don't know, I'm not sure all these NBA teams are going to take a big chance on a kid that at this point can only jump.  There's a ton of athletic big men in this draft and Gafford will get better in Mike's system just like Portia did

hoglady

Quote from: RazorSax on March 16, 2018, 04:24:25 pm
After this is how his opportunity on the big stage of college basketball went, he needs to stay in school. On the other hand, how well will he be developed here? It's really tragic that he should feel obligated to leave simply because the ceiling here is so unfortunately low.

Bobby Portis developed just fine here - because he worked his butt off to get better.
Gafford can development here or in the NBA G league or overseas - but he has to put in the work over the summer no matter where he decides to play.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: RazorSax on March 16, 2018, 04:24:25 pm
are you kidding me, he wasn't even on the radar coming into the summer, the staff put some weight on him and developed him real nice into a top 20 player!!

Oliver

hoglady

Quote from: TeufelHog on March 16, 2018, 05:08:47 pm
Gafford isn’t ready, but will be crazy not to leave for the NBA.  He will not develop any further under this coaching staff.

And there's no proof to back up that statement.
Portis made a huge leap from his freshman to sophomore year - this staff most certainly developed Qualls who was more raw than Gafford when he got here.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

kiddhog

Look I'm as upset with  the team performance as much as anyone.  And Gafford had a bad game to say the least. But at the end of the day Gafford is an arkansas boy that was playing  for his home state team. Yes, he was inconsistent  and maybe not be ready to go to the NBA .   But i'm very happy he decided to play for OUR Hogs and his home state team. If this is his last game so be it, I'm very happy he decided to be a Hog. he gave us some very exciting moments. His overall season was a success and I will always support him. I wish him nothing but success whether he goes pro or blesses us with another season. He's a good kid.

LRHawg

I'm as disappointed as anyone but bashing Gafford rather he leaves or stays is classless.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: LRHawg on March 16, 2018, 11:30:51 pm
I'm as disappointed as anyone but bashing Gafford rather he leaves or stays is classless.

^^^^^^
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

Breems

He was dominant at times this year, but that was mainly up to the guards drawing attention away from him. Still a ton of upside. I was cringing watching that little Butler guard push him outta the lane.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Breems on March 16, 2018, 11:32:24 pm
He was dominant at times this year, but that was mainly up to the guards drawing attention away from him. Still a ton of upside. I was cringing watching that little Butler guard push him outta the lane.

That was the worse moment for me. The guy was literally 6'3 at best.

steveaustin69

Quote from: galactivation on March 16, 2018, 04:25:01 pm

Coach refuses to run an offense utilizing PnR with two ball dominant guards with an NBA level rim diving big? No way. Couldn't be Mike Anderson.

Letsroll1200

Pumbaa

We are much better with him than without him. He did not have a great outing today but today was not a good showing of what he has meant to this team this year. If he stays he has a legitimate chance to become a lottery pick next year and earn that much more money. With him, depending on the learning curve of these freshmen, we are an 8/9 seed (optimistically) to a bubble team. Without him we may be around .500 next year. He could really help this programs upward trend if he come back by helping these youngsters transition and can earn some extra cash while developing muscle and his all around game. I really hope we see him in a hog uniform for the 18-19 season.

checkraiser88

I don't see him coming back for a rebuild, he can tune up his skills while making money, he's gone

Pumbaa

There have also been big jumps in player development from year to year (Qualls for example) so I would be very excited to see what he, Hall, and Jones/Bailey/Gabe look like next year.

zebradynasty

Honestly, I can see Gafford's draft stock dropping. The NBA pre-draft camps will feature some of your better interior players than what he has faced. His lack of offense will really show. Anyone notice how much time he spends on the floor. He has a lot of work to do in the gym to get stronger! Now he has the potential to overcome all his weaknesses but not sure how many NBA teams are willing to spend a top 20 pick on a player that needs a least 2 years in order to be ready to contribute. Not saying he definitely should come back but he should really pay attention to his performance in those camps.

Pumbaa

Quote from: zebradynasty on March 17, 2018, 12:00:46 am
Honestly, I can see Gafford's draft stock dropping. The NBA pre-draft camps will feature some of your better interior players than what he has faced. His lack of offense will really show. Anyone notice how much time he spends on the floor. He has a lot of work to do in the gym to get stronger! Now he has the potential to overcome all his weaknesses but not sure how many NBA teams are willing to spend a top 20 pick on a player that needs a least 2 years in order to be ready to contribute. Not saying he definitely should come back but he should really pay attention to his performance in those camps.

Not that I'm an expert scout but I have heard that next years draft will include fewer top end big men. That alone makes me think he would jump up some boards if he comes back. Heck he learned and improved during this season alone. If he played down the stretch how he started this year he may not have been getting 10 mins/game because of foul trouble.

Oliver

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 16, 2018, 11:34:51 pm
If they did what you expected

Expectations and potential are two entirely different things. 

When Bielema was our coach, I expected a 5 or 6 win season.  I think we had the potential to win 7 or 8 though

mboot

Quote from: kiddhog on March 16, 2018, 11:28:39 pm
Look I'm as upset with  the team performance as much as anyone.  And Gafford had a bad game to say the least. But at the end of the day Gafford is an arkansas boy that was playing  for his home state team. Yes, he was inconsistent  and maybe not be ready to go to the NBA .   But i'm very happy he decided to play for OUR Hogs and his home state team. If this is his last game so be it, I'm very happy he decided to be a Hog. he gave us some very exciting moments. His overall season was a success and I will always support him. I wish him nothing but success whether he goes pro or blesses us with another season. He's a good kid.

I agree with this 100%. This board is full of morons.