Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Great objective evaluation of Gafford’s NBA prospects.

Started by Arkansauce, March 13, 2018, 04:35:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

trphog

He gone.... Might as well get used to it amigos and amigas. Hope I'm wrong........ but I'm not.

synthartist69

If he stays it is because he has an extreme love for the HOGS and wants to go down in history as one of the all time greats at Arkansas.

hogfan870

Seems like the only reason he would come back is if he just enjoys being in college.  It is certainly possible that he could improve his draft stock with another year, but there is no guaranty.  Can't imagine his evaluation won't give him a solid first round grade.  I kind of doubt he gets into the lottery picks, but I don't know if he would do that next year either. 

Soooie21

Reading this, he needs to play as many minutes as possible...he won't get many in the pro's next season....we will in college...one and done sucks..you can't built a team, unless you are the big 3....but that is the game played now...the rich get richer..

hview

razorback1829

Quote from: hview on March 13, 2018, 10:43:27 pm
He loves the HOGS. :)

That's a fact. Loves playing with his teammates as well. Special kid. Hope nothing but the best for him when the decision comes.

Sharky

Quote from: trphog on March 13, 2018, 04:49:43 pm
He gone.... Might as well get used to it amigos and amigas. Hope I'm wrong........ but I'm not.

Do players ever stay when they're projected first round? It seems rare.

JayHog

A lottery pick, yet his teammates rarely want to pass the ball to him. Smh

razorback1829

Quote from: JayHog on March 14, 2018, 01:11:56 am

While I agree he should get more touches, but he's still devoid of being a true one on one threat. He's a monster when it comes to pick and rolls, which our guards either can make the pass.. Macon can for sure. Beard and Barford haven't shown that ability.

niels_boar

Quote from: JayHog on March 14, 2018, 01:11:56 am

He's not a lottery pick this season.  He's being drafted on athleticism and potential, both of which are off the charts.  However, you must have missed the part where he has low efficiency in the post.  I also think fans believe he is more open than he is.  Post passes where a lot of hands are concentrated are not as easy as they look.  Gafford has gotten double-digit shots in 4 of our last 6 games, as opposed to 3 for Macon and 4 for Barford.  There is no reason Gafford should be getting a lot more shots than two of the most efficient scorers in college basketball.  We've been using him about right down the stretch, really since February.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

greenEGnHAWGS

It is my opinion that Gafford does not need another year in college to develop his game. There are a ton of bigs in the NBA that we're good in college, but have developed with elite coaching tobtirn them into monsters on the highest level. (What's funny is most are from Kentucky)

Towns, Cousins, the Brow were really good in college, but took elite developers to turn the into NBA All Stars. Put some more meat on Gafford and develop his shot and he'll be just as good.

Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

niels_boar

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on March 14, 2018, 12:57:56 pm
It is my opinion that Gafford does not need another year in college to develop his game. There are a ton of bigs in the NBA that we're good in college, but have developed with elite coaching tobtirn them into monsters on the highest level. (What's funny is most are from Kentucky)

Towns, Cousins, the Brow were really good in college, but took elite developers to turn the into NBA All Stars. Put some more meat on Gafford and develop his shot and he'll be just as good.

I'd go if I were Gafford and assured that I would be picked in the top 20.  However, Towns, Cousins and the Brow were immediate NBA starters and foci of their teams.  I doubt Gafford will get a lot of minutes on a team picking as low as #19 unless they decide to tank.  NBA teams don't practice much during the season.  Larry Bird as a GM has rued that you have a hard time getting the eighteen and nineteen-year-olds on the court to develop them after you draft them.  I think the development issue is much more equivocal than many believe.  The big issue is having a contract in case of injury.  He could very well be a better basketball player this time next year by playing 35 games in which he is the dominant player on the team as opposed to waving a towel on an NBA bench.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

Paul

Quote from: Soooie21 on March 13, 2018, 06:55:25 pm
Reading this, he needs to play as many minutes as possible...he won't get many in the pro's next season....we will in college...one and done sucks..you can't built a team, unless you are the big 3....but that is the game played now...the rich get richer..
he'll get more minutes & better developmental coaching in the G League than here

code red

Quote from: Soooie21 on March 13, 2018, 06:55:25 pm
Gafford is improving every game.  If he can do it at the college level he can do it at the NBA level and probably quicker considering Mike is not a great coach in offensive sets.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

Quote from: Paul on March 14, 2018, 01:07:39 pm
  he'll get more minutes & better developmental coaching in the G League than here
Exactly.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

The real Hogules

Quote from: Paul on March 14, 2018, 01:07:39 pm
Let's say that D.G. can go around 18th-20th in this years draft. What kind of difference are we talking, money wise between that and if he could improve his game with an extra year and go top 10? As a top 10 guy would he get more $$$ guaranteed and a longer contract, than a later round guy would? I have no idea and was just wondering if moving up in the draft might make it worth the one more year of college?
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!