Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pump Your Brakes

Started by Porked Tongue, November 05, 2017, 07:43:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bphi11ips

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 06, 2017, 08:32:33 pm
We've had a couple of close Bama games at RRS in the past decade that were pretty jacked up the entire time.

Games like the 74 USC game, 81 UT, 87A&M, etc, were done in 2-1/2 hours, or close to it. Now, four hours of DVR time barely gets the entire Coastal Carolina game. OU-OSU went 4-1/2 hours. Hard to have a crowd ramped up through the extra hour of non-action. Yes, some crowds do!

Stadium atmosphere, student body attendance, etc, are all factors, but the performance of the team is the #1 factor, and the others are distant in the rear view mirror.

What you are missing in that last clause is the effect the atmosphere has on the team's performance.  Case in point is pregame for Texas in 2004.  Another is Tennessee in 1999.  1981 Texas fits your mold.  No one saw that coming, least of all Razorbacks fans.  We had no trouble finding choice seats in the student section, but Texas wouldn't stop coughing up the ball and by the end of the first quarter it was on!

The TCU game is a perfect example of a game where a pumped up crowd could have had the same effect it had against Texas in 2004.  But the crowd was flat, and the team followed suit.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

rtr

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 06, 2017, 08:50:41 pm
What you are missing in that last clause is the effect the atmosphere has on the team's performance.  Case in point is pregame for Texas in 2004.  Another is Tennessee in 1999.  1981 Texas fits your mold.  No one saw that coming, least of all Razorbacks fans.  We had no trouble finding choice seats in the student section, but Texas wouldn't stop coughing up the ball and by the end of the first quarter it was on!

The TCU game is a perfect example of a game where a pumped up crowd could have had the same effect it had against Texas in 2004.  But the crowd was flat, and the team followed suit.
I admire your support of the players and coaches but the program is bigger than one man.  The crowd at the TCU was active and boisterous at first but the football was an eyesore to watch especially on offense.  Never felt like we could sustain anything.  It has gotten worse.  Sometime it is time to bite the bullet and make the change.  Go Hogs.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

bphi11ips

Quote from: rtr on November 06, 2017, 08:55:16 pm
I admire your support of the players and coaches but the program is bigger than one man.  The crowd at the TCU was active and boisterous at first but the football was an eyesore to watch especially on offense.  Never felt like we could sustain anything.  It has gotten worse.  Sometime it is time to bite the bullet and make the change.  Go Hogs.

Thanks but my intent in this thread has nothing to do with supporting anyone but the team and to criticize our home crowds, which frankly, need a remedial course in Rowdy Behavior.

The crowd was polite and called the Hogs when asked to do so. That will not cut it in the SEC. 

ricepig

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 06, 2017, 08:39:04 pm
You might want to check your engagement letter on that retainer thing.  Retainers are nice unless you forget to exclude litigation.  Most lawyers I know aren't that stupid, but maybe yours is.

If you're Alabama I guess you can require students to stay or revoke privileges.

Probably haven't watched Caddyshack in more than six months.  Been a busy year.

Just a little old country lawyer who graduated from Harvard, I think I'll stick with him.

bphi11ips

November 06, 2017, 10:03:28 pm #154 Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 11:01:14 pm by bphi11ips
Quote from: ricepig on November 06, 2017, 09:36:29 pm
Just a little old country lawyer who graduated from Harvard, I think I'll stick with him.

I tried a three week jury trial with two Harvard boys in federal court in Nashville a few years back.  Copyright infringement case.  Judge was a Harvard grad, too.  These boys was from South Carelina, ya see?  They kept sidling up to this here judge like they was all in some sorta club.  They said some pert near nasty stuff bout the way I was handling my side of the case.  Purty soon that there judge tells the marshall to scort the jury out while he talks to the lawyers.  He then commenced to tellin' them Harvard boys that his maw's side was from South Carelina and that they was embarrassin' him with there lack a deecorum.  He instructed them boys to straighten' up and fly right and they purty much did from then on.  Onliest time I got upset the whole trial was when it came on my phone that Beckham boy was goin to Meezuri instead of Arkiesaw. 

I tried the case on damages.  The plaintiff wanted $17 million.  The jury gave them something in the high six figures.  Guess I spoke their language.

Oklahawg

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 06, 2017, 10:03:28 pm
I tried a three week jury trial with two Harvard boys in federal court in Nashville a few years back.  Copyright infringement case.  Judge was a Harvard grad, too.  These boys was from South Carelina, ya see?  They kept sidling up to this here judge like they was all in some sorta club.  They said some pert near nasty stuff bout the way I was handling my side of the case.  Purty soon that there judge tells the marshall to scort the jury out while he talks to the lawyers.  He then commenced to tellin' them Harvard boys that his maw's side was from South Carelina and that they was embarrassin' him with there lack a deecorum.  He instructed them boys to straighten' up and fly right and they purty much did from then on.  Onliest time I got upset the whole trial was when it came on my phone that Beckham boy was goin to Meezuri instead of Arkiesaw. 

I tried the case on damages.  The plaintiff wanted $17 million.  The jury gave them something in the high six figures.  Guess I spoke their language.

Does this mean you and Ricepig have made up? You guys are too civil to be up in each other's craw too far!

(And what the hell do you do with $17M?)
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

ricepig

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 06, 2017, 10:03:28 pm

They don't come more country than mine, lol.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: ricepig on November 06, 2017, 09:36:29 pm
I know who that is. I'd stick with him too.

bphi11ips

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on November 07, 2017, 04:04:23 pm
I know who that is. I'd stick with him too.

I'll still guarandangtee you he ain't defendin' no infringement case through a final, non-appealable judgment on rice's measley retainer.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 07, 2017, 03:42:14 pm
Does this mean you and Ricepig have made up? You guys are too civil to be up in each other's craw too far!

(And what the hell do you do with $17M?)

rice and I is good long as we ain't in the same suite together.

Them Harvard boys and their client would like to know.  So would I for that matter. 

ricepig

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 07, 2017, 05:49:21 pm
I'll still guarandangtee you he ain't defendin' no infringement case through a final, non-appealable judgment on rice's measley retainer.

You mean $500 won't cover that?

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on November 07, 2017, 05:56:41 pm
You mean $500 won't cover that?

It would cover the first phone call - as long as it isn't over 45 minutes.   ;)

ricepig

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 07, 2017, 06:37:33 pm
It would cover the first phone call - as long as it isn't over 45 minutes.   ;)

Actually the guy that is my regular lawyer is a big duck hunter, I learned years ago not to ask him how his morning hunt went over the phone, it was costing me.

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on November 07, 2017, 06:39:55 pm
Actually the guy that is my regular lawyer is a big duck hunter, I learned years ago not to ask him how his morning hunt went over the phone, it was costing me.

I understand.  No one wants to make small talk with me, either.  Lord knows I can talk.