Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A new semester and other things

Started by flippinhogmana, December 27, 2015, 03:57:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

flippinhogmana

In starting this new semester, We should be easily able to overwhelm the next two opponents, MSVS (Miss Valley State University) and New Orleans.  Both had played in the SEC and gotten royally trashed amongst their other losses.  That should give us some barometer on how we need to do.  Its been several days and I looked at the schedules of several schools coming up, but I think Ole Miss beat MSVS by 37 points.  Since the way we are currently performing Ole Miss is the only team I give us a shot at beating, we need to hammer them.  MissSt beat them by 79.

Our third game is against SC at their place, realistically if we play within twenty points its only because someone gets hot and we play better as a team.  Sorry just the facts. 

The fourth game of the set is back at home against A&M.  That game will tell us if we are going to have a decent season or not.  We need to start the right lineup (not two freshmen and a different one at that) and play the upperclasswomen enough to have a chance. 

If Devon and Kelsey can play decent including hitting some threes from the outside and more importantly reigning in A&M's point guard and Courtney Walker:  if we can get it a lot in Alicia and Jessica's hands down low, with MW's usual heroics and with MM and JDanberry furnishing a spark we have a chance.  We'll see how it goes.  And a little more zone wouldnt hurt if they arent lighting it up from the outside.  If we play all twelve it means we have lost big.

On the scholarship thing and recruiting-to run a up-front program you need to keep your promises, not jerk scholarships when better players become available.  We have 12 players on scholarship, and we have five coming in next year, four on scholarship, and we drop one scholarship senior in Melissa Wolff.  That means we are at 15-with a recruited walkon that one presumes would be awarded a scholarship as she proves herself.  That should mean we would have four available for the 2017 class as we have five juniors this year. 

The point I was making about being full up with certain types, if we were to be so fortunate to land both (which usually you wont, of those two we should be happy to get one), at the same time we are also losing two 6-3 girls that can score (JJ and AC).  I am glad to see that we have extended an offer to Mallory Vaughan at 6-4, I would love to have another like her, and the two girls mentioned before.  That should just about fill us up again if I did my math right.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

beringer62

What is the word on Tat Smith? Will she now play?

nwahogfan1

Quote from: flippinhogmana on December 27, 2015, 03:57:31 pm
In starting this new semester, We should be easily able to overwhelm the next two opponents, MSVS (Miss Valley State University) and New Orleans.  Both had played in the SEC and gotten royally trashed amongst their other losses.  That should give us some barometer on how we need to do.  Its been several days and I looked at the schedules of several schools coming up, but I think Ole Miss beat MSVS by 37 points.  Since the way we are currently performing Ole Miss is the only team I give us a shot at beating, we need to hammer them.  MissSt beat them by 79.

Our third game is against SC at their place, realistically if we play within twenty points its only because someone gets hot and we play better as a team.  Sorry just the facts. 

The fourth game of the set is back at home against A&M.  That game will tell us if we are going to have a decent season or not.  We need to start the right lineup (not two freshmen and a different one at that) and play the upperclasswomen enough to have a chance. 

If Devon and Kelsey can play decent including hitting some threes from the outside and more importantly reigning in A&M's point guard and Courtney Walker:  if we can get it a lot in Alicia and Jessica's hands down low, with MW's usual heroics and with MM and JDanberry furnishing a spark we have a chance.  We'll see how it goes.  And a little more zone wouldnt hurt if they arent lighting it up from the outside.  If we play all twelve it means we have lost big.

On the scholarship thing and recruiting-to run a up-front program you need to keep your promises, not jerk scholarships when better players become available.  We have 12 players on scholarship, and we have five coming in next year, four on scholarship, and we drop one scholarship senior in Melissa Wolff.  That means we are at 15-with a recruited walkon that one presumes would be awarded a scholarship as she proves herself.  That should mean we would have four available for the 2017 class as we have five juniors this year. 

The point I was making about being full up with certain types, if we were to be so fortunate to land both (which usually you wont, of those two we should be happy to get one), at the same time we are also losing two 6-3 girls that can score (JJ and AC).  I am glad to see that we have extended an offer to Mallory Vaughan at 6-4, I would love to have another like her, and the two girls mentioned before.  That should just about fill us up again if I did my math right.

Thanks Flippin. I always love your insight of our Lady BB team.

I have a question.  How many ladies on average a year should we be ok with losing on our BB team?   I am talking all kinds of reasons like transferring for lack of playing time, not getting along with coaches or players, bad grades, home sick, etc.   

flippinhogmana

As I understand it (1) if her grades were passing (2) if the profs got them turned in on time (3) if the staff got them turned into the NCAA she would have been eligible as soon as the Texas game.  I didnt notice her being dressed out or not.  The fact that she didnt play only means one of the three above wasnt done satisfactorily.  The admin or coach hasnt said anything as far as I know and I havent heard anything from anybody else.

As far as normal rotating out via transfer, eligibility, etc?  Not as many as have gone out from here the last year and a half in normal years, but in starting a new coach it can happen.  Before this (under Collen or the coach before him after their first years, about all you saw was max one a year).  We had one girl that was from Florida that just decided it was too far from the house, in another year a girl from Georgia, just didnt like it here.  It happens.  Losing several girls two years in a row isnt the norm, but we'll have to see if it happens again this year.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: flippinhogmana on December 27, 2015, 07:29:07 pm
As I understand it (1) if her grades were passing (2) if the profs got them turned in on time (3) if the staff got them turned into the NCAA she would have been eligible as soon as the Texas game.  I didnt notice her being dressed out or not.  The fact that she didn't play only means one of the three above wasn't done satisfactorily.  The admin or coach hasnt said anything as far as I know and I haven't heard anything from anybody else.

Maybe Smith needs a Red shirt year and is not ready to help us this year.  Some JUCO's are not ready for D 1 for many reasons.  Talent, grades and undisciplined in her time management being a few reasons.   If Tat is getting better but is not ready to help us this year and fitting in with Jimmy and the team then it would not be a bad thing to red shirt her this year.

Also Jimmy runs a very disciplined program and may be very demanding.  It is possible some of our carry over ladies have never been under this before especially here.  He has to recruit those great ladies who love the game of BB, are good students, want a degree and are disciplined with their time and life style.  We have one or two carry overs who may have a problem with some of his techniques and so are not totally buying his approach.  This may be a problem in the locker room and on the court until they are gone but unfortunately they are our most talented and experienced players right now so I hope they adapt and get on board.

I am concerned with Jimmy's lack of using his Assistant coaches during time outs though.   I just wonder how much he uses them in practices and game planning?   I will say this if the assistant coaches are not happy then they will leave before they are harmful to the team.   Hopefully to find a better job but I just don't see them hanging around and not be happy.

jseinfeld50

December 28, 2015, 09:36:53 am #5 Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 02:16:53 pm by jseinfeld50
Quote from: nwahogfan1 on December 28, 2015, 09:00:55 am

I am concerned with Jimmy's lack of using his Assistant coaches during time outs though.   I just wonder how much he uses them in practices and game planning?   I will say this if the assistant coaches are not happy then they will leave before they are harmful to the team.   Hopefully to find a better job but I just don't see them hanging around and not be happy.

I have that same concern. I don't watch the assistants enough but I have noticed all 3 don't appear to be involved much during the games. Maybe he sees their primary jobs as preparation, encouragement, and development. I sometimes see Tari Cummings talking and pointing during timeouts but it's always behind, away, and to the side of JD.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on December 28, 2015, 09:00:55 am

to be honest with you (I dont know why people use that expression, it almosts says that there are times you would otherwise lie to people or withhold the truth, sometimes just keep your mouth shut on things you know maybe?) NWA, one generally figures that if you are going to get a juco for just two years, then they have to come in ready to play otherwise you have simply missed your evaluation on them.  You recruit Jucos cause you need them now.  Cosper is a little different cause we have her for three years.

But with Tat is a little more complicated:  In effect with her not being eligible for the first semester we get to use her just three semesters, a year and a half.  But if she did red shirt, would she have another year to use up two full semesters of eligibility for the one year, not just one?  Like I said, I dont know how that works.  I know in football some of the ones you recruit have three years to play two (meaning you can redshirt them), others only have two for two (I suppose they have already redshirted at juco?).  If someone knows more about the Tat Smith situation, both me and NWA would appreciate it.  If she did redshirt though NWA, it would mean only four juniors freeing up eligibility for 2017.

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: flippinhogmana on December 28, 2015, 09:38:16 am
to be honest with you (I dont know why people use that expression, it almosts says that there are times you would otherwise lie to people or withhold the truth, sometimes just keep your mouth shut on things you know maybe?) NWA, one generally figures that if you are going to get a juco for just two years, then they have to come in ready to play otherwise you have simply missed your evaluation on them.  You recruit Jucos cause you need them now.  Cosper is a little different cause we have her for three years.

But with Tat is a little more complicated:  In effect with her not being eligible for the first semester we get to use her just three semesters, a year and a half.  But if she did red shirt, would she have another year to use up two full semesters of eligibility for the one year, not just one?  Like I said, I dont know how that works.  I know in football some of the ones you recruit have three years to play two (meaning you can redshirt them), others only have two for two (I suppose they have already redshirted at juco?).  If someone knows more about the Tat Smith situation, both me and NWA would appreciate it.  If she did redshirt though NWA, it would mean only four juniors freeing up eligibility for 2017.
She played tonight so that is a mute question.  She was the third string center - did not get into the game until the 4th quarter.  This may be a waste of a scholarship.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on December 28, 2015, 10:13:13 pm
She played tonight so that is a mute question.  She was the third string center - did not get into the game until the 4th quarter.  This may be a waste of a scholarship.

You may be right LBBF, and you certainly are right about it now being a moot consideration of redshirting her.  I think its necessary to take several things into account in evaluating Tat though.  (1) Before tonight it had been two years since she had played since she dropped out before finishing the semester two years ago at AB.  Thats why she had to go back to school and finish a semester at AB I believe was the case and was still ineligible this fall semester at UofA.  I believe I am correct in my facts on that of how long its been since she's played.  At any rate its been a long time and she is a semester behind everyone else in actual competition.  (2) She was the first juco that agreed to come here and JD was fairly desperate for a big when he recruited her (3) She never has been that big of an offensive force, but she can run the court, she is long, a decent shot blocker (4) she does give us five more fouls...It is what it is at this point.

I thought the girls did what they had to do tonight.  Devon Cosper is still coming on, KB showed some spark of her former self tonight, AC showed up some tonight, JJ was there, JDan looks better and better.  We played best coming out of halftime when JD left the starters in for a long time.  The announcers even remarked on how long he left that unit on the floor and that they were pulling away.  JDan, MW, AC, DC, and JJ were on the floor.

I think some good news is that LSU (6-7) is regressing and that they are another team we have the capacity to beat even the way we have been playing (like Ole Miss, 7-5)) but unlike ole miss we play them on the road and we only play each of them once.  We play MsState twice (12-1 ranked), Mizzou twice (12-0 ranked).

Despite my near disillusionment and frank appraisals, I dont count this team out yet.  If we just put the right group on the floor and let them play, there is too much talent by accident amongst them not to beat some good teams this year.  I still have hope....we have just used up all the slack we have, we have to get it together and play lights out from here on it.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: flippinhogmana on December 28, 2015, 11:44:14 pm
JDan, MW, AC, DC, and JJ were on the floor.

That looks like a lineup to me - plus whatever minutes Brooks can provide.

And yes, LSU looks horrible this year. I am amazed at how quickly they have fallen so far.

I think we stand a decent chance in conference against:

Ole Miss - definite rebuild mode
LSU - see above. Program seems to be in trouble and I suspect a coaching change will have to come soon.
Auburn - their press will challenge us, and we will have to defend Tanner, but they will probably also have to make some decisions about coaching after this year.
Alabama - Gaudy 11-2 record thus far, but against weak sisters of the blind. They are not there yet, imo.
UGA - this team isn't much different or better than the struggling squad from last year. Their OOC record hasn't come from beating ALL cupcakes ... just a LOT of cupcakes. Griffin and Barbee are playing well, though.

More of a stretch, but winnable if we keep improving:
Vandy - very young
Florida - doing well, and beat FSU early on, but I'm just not a believer in Amanda Butler's program.

Should beat us solidly, but who knows, if everything goes our way ... :
TAMU - we seem to play them tough lately. Can we keep it up?
Tennessee - the wheels are creaking in Knoxville. Can they get it straightened out?

I don't give us much of a shot against the other teams, tbh.

flippinhogmana

December 29, 2015, 08:46:32 am #10 Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 09:07:24 am by flippinhogmana
Psych, the teams that have played a tough schedule and deserve their record are apt to take us to the cleaners, unless we feature that lineup and plug in KB as she gets healthy and the same for MM (maybe even then but I like our chances better with that than with playing twelve).  Alabama, Vandy and Auburn have played a lot softer schedule than Kentucky, Tenner, SC, A&M and Ms State.  Those three could be taken in a fair fight (playing any of the three particularly Auburn on the road aint fair). 

Mizzou hasnt played a tough schedule either but they beat MizzSt by about the same amount that MizzSt beat us, so by comparative analysis they should beat us by thirty.  Even if they are better than us, we need to steal one game from them if we are going to have a decent season.  Maybe Georgia and Florida havent played as tough as the rest but as you say Fla did take their ranked cross state rival by a bunch.  Georgia also has a quality win or two as well.  In the right circumstances playing the right combinations with the appropriate amount of minutes with an appropriate defense, we might have a shot.  This year, hard to evaluate.

Like I said once before my heart (and the emotional side of my head with just a hint of rationality) says we could go 10-6 if the brain trust would cooperate, and I could see us going 1-15 if stubbornness takes over.

flippinhogmana

On Tenner they are not up to their usual level, but they are two and two if memory serves me right against ranked competition. 

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: flippinhogmana on December 29, 2015, 08:46:32 am
Psych, the teams that have played a tough schedule and deserve their record are apt to take us to the cleaners, unless we feature that lineup and plug in KB as she gets healthy and the same for MM (maybe even then but I like our chances better with that than with playing twelve).  Alabama, Vandy and Auburn have played a lot softer schedule than Kentucky, Tenner, SC, A&M and Ms State.  Those three could be taken in a fair fight (playing any of the three particularly Auburn on the road aint fair). 

Mizzou hasnt played a tough schedule either but they beat MizzSt by about the same amount that MizzSt beat us, so by comparative analysis they should beat us by thirty.  Even if they are better than us, we need to steal one game from them if we are going to have a decent season.  Maybe Georgia and Florida havent played as tough as the rest but as you say Fla did take their ranked cross state rival by a bunch.  Georgia also has a quality win or two as well.  In the right circumstances playing the right combinations with the appropriate amount of minutes with an appropriate defense, we might have a shot.  This year, hard to evaluate.

Like I said once before my heart (and the emotional side of my head with just a hint of rationality) says we could go 10-6 if the brain trust would cooperate, and I could see us going 1-15 if stubbornness takes over.
It would be a Miracle if we went 10-6 - this record only happened once.  If we go 1-15, then JD needs to be fired - that would give us an overall record of 6 - 23 assuming we win tomorrow night.  If he continues to play the two or three freshman that should sit and watch most of the year, then we could come close to 1-15 and never be 10 - 6!  I am not talking about the point guards either - they will have to play because no one else is a true point guard.

flippinhogmana

Close to a miracle!  It would just take the right coaching, right motivation and max play.  Every year we are given an impossible task by the SEC office in our schedule.  Every year we start off in the basement because of it.  But this is the first year in a while that we are in the SEC basement before conference play even starts.  Once it does we have five ranked teams in a row, but thankfully only two of them on the road.

Three years ago, the next to last under collen I think (it might have been four years ago) we were in the basement when we got through the impossible part of the schedule and won like ten in a row to finish 10-6.  Last year we were in the cellar and got on a good streak to finish 6-10 I think. 

Unfortunately, with the rational part of my brain, I look to finish about the same last year or worse unless some things happen, which would be a shame.  We have better personnel than last year except at pg.  JDan is coming along though.  We'll see.  Unfortunately I think the whole conference is better this year.

LadybackBBFan

We have better personnel than last year except at pg.  JDan is coming along though.  We'll see.  Unfortunately I think the whole conference is better this year.  We were better last year at center and a lot better at point guard.  JD is coming along as a pg, but would have been used as a break for CB last year.  DC is a nice addition, but she is just making up for an injured KB.  KW is better but still not good enough to help.  TS is an unanswered question.  The only place where we are better is that we have a stronger bench, but last year's starting five was a lot better than this year's - no matter who he starts.  This team is more athletic, but that has nothing to do with being a better team - it is a TEAM game.  The SEC does look stronger.  My prediction unfortunately is 4 - 5 wins and 11 - 12 losses unless the team morale falls apart and they loose confidence in the coach - then your 1 - 15 will be possible.  :'( ???

flippinhogmana

December 30, 2015, 11:02:22 am #15 Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 01:22:24 am by flippinhogmana
Quote from: LadybackBBFan on December 30, 2015, 09:02:28 am
We have better personnel than last year except at pg.  JDan is coming along though.  We'll see.  Unfortunately I think the whole conference is better this year.  We were better last year at center and a lot better at point guard.  JD is coming along as a pg, but would have been used as a break for CB last year.  DC is a nice addition, but she is just making up for an injured KB.  KW is better but still not good enough to help.  TS is an unanswered question.  The only place where we are better is that we have a stronger bench, but last year's starting five was a lot better than this year's - no matter who he starts.  This team is more athletic, but that has nothing to do with being a better team - it is a TEAM game.  The SEC does look stronger.  My prediction unfortunately is 4 - 5 wins and 11 - 12 losses unless the team morale falls apart and they loose confidence in the coach - then your 1 - 15 will be possible.  :'( ???

I dont disagree LBBF, except when I say better I mean potentially, and athleticsim.  Hands down we were better at the PG position in the head and in driving the train, feeding the post etc.  CB was after all the best assists guard we have had around here is a long, long time. 

Center better in experience, and maybe determination.  I am not dissing Jasmine, but she was only 6-1.  She gave us her all every time and for 6-1 was very good.  But, if we were playing as a team and AC had gotten the minutes I would like for her to have had by now, I dont know, she isnt as quick as I would like, and think she is still figuring out the SEC level game, but she will be better next year and I dont think we have seen her best yet. 

JJ is a year better, I dont think MW is 100% yet, but she is still the glue and leadership that carries us a lot.  Just like we miss Calli and Jaz this year, we will miss that next year.  Its possible if DC continues to grow and emerge (as does JDan), that we could be better as a team by years end than last years team if they dont totally lose morale, but will they be so far down by then that they dont make a post season tournament?  One way or other I will really miss MW next year.

flippinhogmana

For what its worth info on New Orleans:  (1) 3-5, haven't played in two weeks.  Vertically challenged, tallest player 6-2 with only one other one over six feet, at 6-1.  Ole Miss beat them ( by forty) even more than they beat MVSU, but then their beat down of MVSU was their first game. 

Not sure how much this game helps us prepare for conference (as well as the last in our 'tough' schedule) other than to restore our confidence, let us work on feeding the post, improve our guard play and get us back closer to five hundred.  We can work on conditioning too, this should be a track meet.  If we dont beat this team by fifty it would be because we are looking ahead to SC on the road.

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: flippinhogmana on December 30, 2015, 01:45:13 pm
For what its worth info on New Orleans:  (1) 3-5, haven't played in two weeks.  Vertically challenged, tallest player 6-2 with only one other one over six feet, at 6-1.  Ole Miss beat them ( by forty) even more than they beat MVSU, but then their beat down of MVSU was their first game. 

Not sure how much this game helps us prepare for conference (as well as the last in our 'tough' schedule) other than to restore our confidence, let us work on feeding the post, improve our guard play and get us back closer to five hundred.  We can work on conditioning too, this should be a track meet.  If we dont beat this team by fifty it would be because we are looking ahead to SC on the road.
It is hard for this team to beat anyone by 50 because we will use all 12 players.  Most coming off the bench can not score - therefore, that holds down our total scoring.  I would say anything better than 30 means we played pretty well - less than 30, then we were not into the game.

flippinhogmana

Like I said, one way or another I will really miss MW next year!

flippinhogmana

This may really shake out to be the year that the SEC beats each other up so bad that we dont get as many teams in the tourney.  Right now, out of six ranked teams and eight teams getting votes, we only have two teams, MS State and SC that have 2-0 records.  Almost all the rest of us are 1-1.  Georgia and Vanderbilt, two schools one figures to be middle to higher in the conference are the only two 0-2 schools.