Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4 Bs and a Wolff

Started by flippinhogmana, January 18, 2015, 08:12:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

flippinhogmana

January 18, 2015, 08:12:53 pm Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 04:20:09 pm by flippinhogmana
It could have been all B's if JD had elected to start Bailey in place of Wolff!  Seriously though, the lineup JD started today was rather on the vertically challenged side with only Bowen clearing six foot and not by much.  We wont win many games with that lineup but it worked against Missouri (they start five guards), and might against other teams that are slow or short.

Bostad has been coming on all this year, much like Brooks did last year (as did the now departed Bria Pitts) and if JD was deliberately going small, deserved the start.  In what might have been the worst officiated game I have ever witnessed, at least our girls found the range first and out hustled them, out rebounded them and Brooks took possession of the ball when it counted.  I am sure that was part instruction and part her knowledge that she could and would hit the free throws down the stretch (at the beginning of that run, Bostad was actually the leading scorer.  Brooks scored nine points down the stretch from the line to seal the win).  I think the home crowd helped.

We play six of the final eleven games on the road, but I still like our chances to go at least 8-8 in conference, but I believe we can go as much as 10-6.  Our home games against Auburn is winnable, and I believe we have a decent shot against Georgia, LSU, and Kentucky at home.  Our game against LSU should at least be interesting and who knows, anything can happen in conference play.

Our away games crucial:  none any more important than Vanderbilt.  They gave MS state their first loss and played Tenner close.  If we beat them I believe we can handle Florida on the road as well.  When we get back home Auburn who is the worst team in the conference.  I believe we could be at four and four after that game.  If we get there and don't have any injuries in the meantime, we could get momentum that would carry us the rest of the year.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

psycHOGlogist

Auburn is bad, but they will be a tough matchup for us because of their press. We are not deep with ball-handlers, and that's how teams have caught up with us in the second half this year when we had half-time leads -- the press. Berna can't do it all herself.

flippinhogmana

true.  Bostad performed magnificently for her first start and being a frosh, but she looked a little like a deer in the headlights against Missouri's press.  Brooks and Wolff, and JJ are just going to have to step up and help handle the ball (at least on the passes).  But Vanderbilt is the biggest challenge, first its on the road, second, its the next game, third I don't think they have forgotten how to win.  It will be a tall order to put a winning streak together but I think if the girls are healthy we can do it.

It bothers me that West never took off her warm-up. I don't know if its because he knees still bother her some or that Missouri was just too quick for her.  But JJ has played the least minutes of the starters all year and that makes me wonder about just how healthy she is. 
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: flippinhogmana on January 19, 2015, 02:31:05 am
true.  Bostad performed magnificently for her first start and being a frosh, but she looked a little like a deer in the headlights against Missouri's press.  Brooks and Wolff, and JJ are just going to have to step up and help handle the ball (at least on the passes).  But Vanderbilt is the biggest challenge, first its on the road, second, its the next game, third I don't think they have forgotten how to win.  It will be a tall order to put a winning streak together but I think if the girls are healthy we can do it.

It bothers me that West never took off her warm-up. I don't know if its because he knees still bother her some or that Missouri was just too quick for her.  But JJ has played the least minutes of the starters all year and that makes me wonder about just how healthy she is. 

Since you challenged me, I will challenge you.  JJ has not played the least minutes of the starters - she is fourth.  If you watch her play, she needs more rest than Berna, Bailey and Wolf.  True her minutes have gone down in the last two games, but yesterday it was not because of not starting - it was her fall trouble. JD said on the radio after the game, JJ knows she is a starter.  She would have been in there more if she had not been in fall trouble.  I rest my case.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on January 19, 2015, 07:42:02 am
Since you challenged me, I will challenge you.  JJ has not played the least minutes of the starters - she is fourth.  If you watch her play, she needs more rest than Berna, Bailey and Wolf.  True her minutes have gone down in the last two games, but yesterday it was not because of not starting - it was her fall trouble. JD said on the radio after the game, JJ knows she is a starter.  She would have been in there more if she had not been in fall trouble.  I rest my case.

Most of the time what I say is meant as an observation, not a challenge, but if JJ has now made it up to fourth in minutes, I stand corrected.  At one time earlier, perhaps it was near the start of the conference, she was fifth.  Foul trouble has been a problem of late for her, not sure why.  Wolff for instance has cut down on her fouls, as has Bowen.  I didn't mean the observation of her playing time a criticism of JD.  It just induced a question.  Like I said once before, I don't think we see things all that differently most of the time.

I didn't hear JD's post game interview yet.  He and I, I don't think, see things very much differently either.  Big question now is, Can they get it done against the odds at Vandy? GHG