Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2015 Recruiting Class - Women's Basketball

Started by Hogtied85, November 12, 2014, 02:01:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogtied85

Does any know what our 2015 recruiting class is ranked? I was surprised that we didn't make ESPN's top 20

The_Iceman

nwahogfan1

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 12, 2014, 03:44:51 pm
We have a pretty solid class.

http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/8
Thanks.  A darn good class.   Do you think he will be able to sign a couple bigs this year.  Either Centers or power forwards?

BWS

Very good class for Jimmy Dykes. Monk and Danberry are going to be a solid backcourt for us.

jackflash

I think it could be a great class if he can get a 6-4 or 6-5 post player

The_Iceman

Kaite Powell (6'4") and Khadijah West (6'2") are both freshman and sophomores. Two of the girls we're bringing in are 6'1", so not really strong post players for us. We're gonna need to add a big post for this class.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: Hogtired10 on November 12, 2014, 02:01:19 pm
Does any know what our 2015 recruiting class is ranked? I was surprised that we didn't make ESPN's top 20

I was, too. Hard pressed to believe that the 3-person VA Tech class he has in 20th is better than our 5 person class. Same number of 5-stars, same number of 4-stars, and we have two more 3 stars. Kinda puzzling.

Birminghog

I have a good friend whose daughter is a 2016 combo guard. Her team were last year's Alabama 6A state champions. I would love to see JD interested in her. Last year, she was used mostly as a SG. She was trained as a PG, but the school's PG last year was a senior hotshot who is at Mississippi State now.

My daughter played ball with her on their middle school team, and our families became very close.  His daughter and mine have the same birthday, and our families are planning to go out to dinner together to celebrate.

I talked with the dad about a month ago. He would be interested if JD becomes interested. JD has sent letters to him about a kid who used to live with the family but who now lives in another state and is committed to another school.  Dad was a very good D2 player at Birmingham-Southern and has worked with his daughter for a long time. Lots of B-Ball savvy. Hustles 100% of the time.  Works her behind off on the court and lives for basketball.

The high school lost their head coach after the end of the season last year (another school was willing to up the ante). Don't know what this year's team will be like, but this girl can get it done.  Would love to see her on the hill.

I know it's a 2015 thread, but I didn't know where else to put this.

jackflash

Do they offer more scholarship this year or safe them for 2016

Hogtied85

Coach Dykes said that he could sign another player for 2015 class. I really hope and pray that he adds Taiera McCowen. She would be perfect and we could put up a lot of points with her and powell on the inside. Danberry and Monk are going to be superb at getting people open like Jackson and Bostad to shot the three. You guys if we can get Taiera its gonna be a great couple of years.

razorjack

Be nice to have a 6'7" post like Taiera McCowen.  ESPN has her #49 out of top 100.  She is one of 4 girls in top 100 that does not have a college by her name.  When click her profile it says "no schools available". Wonder what the deal is on her?

racinghog

What is the story on Bri Freeman from Pelham, GA. Did she signed with ARK today?

jackflash

LadybackBBFan

I saw Jordon Danberry last night at Bentonville.  37 points - moves that I have never seen an Arkansas guard have in 20 years, shoots a true jump shot from the three, unselfish.  I could go on.  To say that I was impressed would be an understatement.  With good players around her, we will have an offense next year that can score.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on November 21, 2014, 07:42:30 am
I saw Jordon Danberry last night at Bentonville.  37 points - moves that I have never seen an Arkansas guard have in 20 years, shoots a true jump shot from the three, unselfish.  I could go on.  To say that I was impressed would be an understatement.  With good players around her, we will have an offense next year that can score.

Excellent report.  Thanks for sharing.  It looks promising for next year and thereafter.

On another subject, the present team. 

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think it was you, LBBBfan, who said that so far the 6-1/or two girl from Texas hadn't shown you much in two years?  I didn't necessarily disagree with that at the time, but I am encouraged by her showing last night.   

One of the things we all were concerned with (fouls, particularly on the road) reared its head.  Wolff and Brooks both fouled out.  Granted Melissa fouled out with less than four minutes left, but four critical minutes.  Brooks went to the pines with about a second left.  But Jessica was in foul trouble too and played limited minutes.  Our Texas girl and West answered the bell and picked up enough lack to allow them to win on the road.

I think I am also impressed with Dykes coaching job.  Middle Tennessee state won the CUSA women conference last year and aren't pushovers this year.  The officiating certainly wasn't a help as it never is on the road.   They did good to have come out, with a win on the road with some of the reserves chipping in.  Good thing the seniors came to play too.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: flippinhogmana on November 21, 2014, 08:44:13 am
Excellent report.  Thanks for sharing.  It looks promising for next year and thereafter.

On another subject, the present team. 

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think it was you, LBBBfan, who said that so far the 6-1/or two girl from Texas hadn't shown you much in two years?  I didn't necessarily disagree with that at the time, but I am encouraged by her showing last night.   

One of the things we all were concerned with (fouls, particularly on the road) reared its head.  Wolff and Brooks both fouled out.  Granted Melissa fouled out with less than four minutes left, but four critical minutes.  Brooks went to the pines with about a second left.  But Jessica was in foul trouble too and played limited minutes.  Our Texas girl and West answered the bell and picked up enough lack to allow them to win on the road.

I think I am also impressed with Dykes coaching job.  Middle Tennessee state won the CUSA women conference last year and aren't pushovers this year.  The officiating certainly wasn't a help as it never is on the road.   They did good to have come out, with a win on the road with some of the reserves chipping in.  Good thing the seniors came to play too.
The Texas girl does not hurt you, she just does not do anything to help you.  She came in the same class as Callie and Bowen - broke her nose the first year and redshirted.  Tom C. was always high on her - a lot higher than Bowen when they arrived.  I just never agreed and I think I have been proven right as time as passed.  24 minutes, 2 points and 5 rebounds is okay, but not what you need from someone playing the four or five position and getting 24 minutes of playing time.  Compare to Freshman Powell, 4 minutes, 2 points and 3 rebounds - almost a rebound a minute - a lot more potential, but it has to be developed to where she does not hurt you.  That is what Baily has plus she is an outstanding polished young lady - one anyone would be proud to have as a daughter.

The_Iceman

Jordon Danberry and Jessica Jackson together will be an awesome 1-2 punch.

BWS

I agree with LadybackBBfan regarding Bailey. She's the president of the SAAC and already has her bachelor's degree. She's about as model of a player and a student that any coach would want but she hasn't been as productive on the court the last few years as you would expect.

flippinhogmana

It is true that the freshmen has the most upside (and yes I meant that as a pun since she is 6-4 as opposed to Bailey's 6-1).  Bailey also picked up the Jones girl, the best scorer on the opposing team when she went in after Wolff fouled out.  She performed well, if unspectacular.

As I said, I also saw a spark of light in West's play.  Despite their lack of a deep bench and quality guards, I think I am starting to see hope for a good season for this team.  Three games doesn't give one a great read, but I think the chemistry and leadership on this team is good.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: jackflash on November 19, 2014, 02:35:50 pm
What are chances of getting McCowen?

What I had seen on her was that she was deciding between Baylor and TAMU. Baylor got Beatrice Mompremier to commit -- a 6'4" prospect who was more highly ranked than McGowan -- during the signing period, so the thinking was that she'd go to TAMU. She hasn't signed with them, though. Maybe because TAMU currently has a 6'7 C who is a junior and an elite 6'5" C who is a freshman who would be ahead of her.

We have only one legit "big" on our roster, Powell, who is a freshman and who -- no disrespect -- is probably not as good (and not even really the same kind of lane-clogging, shot-changing player).

So having said all that, I have ABSOLUTELY no idea whether CJD is even recruiting McGowan (I didn't see us mentioned in any stories about her), or whether she'd have any interest in the Hogs. But we can hope!

jackflash

It will take coach Dykes some time but I expect to see post players in the future 6-4 to 6-5 range.

Westcoasthog

A very good signing class 2015 for Coach Jimmy Dykes.

Danny J