Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All Things Gruden--MERGED

Started by jbcarol, April 15, 2012, 03:05:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Feralhog

Pondwater Jack is a lip reader. Ill see can I summons him
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

Rooka

Quote from: pseudorabies on November 02, 2012, 12:05:58 pm
Grobe would have been the hire if he didn't back out.  The Foundation Board approved his package and he was going to be announced but he had a change of heart and backed out. 
This is how I remember it playing out as well. Because I remember it was Tubberville, Terry Bowden, and then Grobe was said to be the next HC only then the next day it was reported he opted to stay at Wake.

Agent of Chaos

The only thing that would make me feel as good as this dog feels is hiring Gruden.

Look into his eyes.

Pure. Frickin. Happiness.

I want that.
You know the thing about Chaos.....it's fair.

http://halftimehennessy.com/

nwahogs

Quote from: pseudorabies on November 02, 2012, 11:39:51 am
Making more of it than was stated?  That's weak and laughable.

Again, I will ask the question.  If Gruden isn't hired, will it be Jeff Long's fault?

75% long
25% extenuating circumstances

Maybe 80/20

RazorPiggie

Well another person came out and said they heard something. There is just too many people (that, I believe, have no connection) saying Gruden for it to be made up.

Agent of Chaos

Quote from: BallHawger on November 02, 2012, 12:10:00 pm
This is how I remember it playing out as well. Because I remember it was Tubberville, Terry Bowden, and then Grobe was said to tbe the next HC then the next day it was reported he opted to stay at Wake.

I remember it playing out that way, too, but a lot of people, including some in the media, took it as coachspeak, same as Saban to Alabama and such.

Like Charlie Strong saying he wouldn't leave Louisville.

jry04

Quote from: Feralhog on November 02, 2012, 12:01:54 pm
You're close enough Chaos that I'm not going to argue, only to say that there were several posts made, to my knowledge and memory, well in advance of BP's announcement that Grobe backed down.
He did, but Petrino had been expressing interest for a few days before that. His agent was in talks with Darek Braunecker, who represents former Arkansas athletes. He was the one that got the ball rolling with BP. Grobe had an offer. Bowden did too, but it was more of a favor to get a raise at Clemson. Neither party had a desire to seriously entertain the option. We were serious about Grobe, until things picked up regarding Petrino. Grobe "backing out" was just a way that Grobe could save face and look better to his team and staff after ESPN ran that he had accepted it.

XX

Fill yur hands you son of a bitch!!

3BoarsDown

Quote from: Feralhog on November 02, 2012, 11:12:02 am
Rsvl, revise history much?  Bowden and grobe where the guys Long was going after. Petrino contacted us and Long immediately jumped on it. Don't need much of a smoke screen when something happens in just a few hours. As for Anderson, no smoke screen there, unless you consider Lonh ignoring Conley screaming at the top of his lungs for a good month that Mike wanted the job.

Long was never going after Bowden, his name was circulated as a favor bc he was feeling heat.

Boarme

Quote from: pseudorabies on November 02, 2012, 12:05:58 pm
Grobe would have been the hire if he didn't back out.  The Foundation Board approved his package and he was going to be announced but he had a change of heart and backed out. 

I hate to admit it but I think Pseudo is right.   

Agent of Chaos

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on November 02, 2012, 12:13:09 pm
He did, but Petrino had been expressing interest for a few days before that. His agent was in talks with Darek Braunecker, who represents former Arkansas athletes. He was the one that got the ball rolling with BP. Grobe had an offer. Bowden did too, but it was more of a favor to get a raise at Clemson. Neither party had a desire to seriously entertain the option. We were serious about Grobe, until things picked up regarding Petrino. Grobe "backing out" was just a way that Grobe could save face and look better to his team and staff after ESPN ran that he had accepted it.

Kinda like how Jeff Long "didn't give Petrino any punishment options" to keep his job. Which we all know he totally did, but that let Petrino save some face as not being a stubborn jackwagon, AND it made the UA look good in the press.

Long knows what he's doing.

pseudorabies

Grobe was going to be announced as coach the next day after the Foundation approved his financial package.  In fact, I believe they even had the plane in route or already there to pick him up but he changed his mind.  There was no conspiracy behind it. 

Boardon Hamsay

November 02, 2012, 12:19:47 pm #41912 Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 12:24:22 pm by rlh06
Quote from: Feralhog on November 02, 2012, 11:48:43 am
Bottom line rsvl, you insinuated Grobe was a smokescreen for  Petrino, and we know that wasn't the case, don't we!?  This Gruden thing has been going on for several weeks, Petrino happened over the course of 2 or 3 days.   

That may be the common perception. In actuality, Petrino "came into the mix" nearly two weeks before he was officially hired. He was first "contacted" by us in St. Louis 11 days before he was hired. Between November 30th and December 11th of 2007, there was more disinformation passed around than you could ever believe. My point is not to be very specific about the timeline, it's more about perspective and most that think they know how the whole Petrino hire went down do not have anywhere near the full perspective of how it actually went down.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

HogInIns

Wasn't Will Muschamp the "Flavor of the Day" right before Petrino was hired?
I can't stand Lil' Ole Arkansas Syndrome!!!

Agent of Chaos

Quote from: HogInIns on November 02, 2012, 12:21:13 pm

Looking at what Willy Boy has done at Florida, that would have been a solid choice lolol

Feralhog

3boars, now that you mention it, I remember hearing something like that. If memory serves, didn't Tommy boy parlay it into a nice little pay hike?
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

jry04

Quote from: pseudorabies on November 02, 2012, 12:19:41 pm
Grobe was going to be announced as coach the next day after the Foundation approved his financial package.  In fact, I believe they even had the plane in route or already there to pick him up but he changed his mind.  There was no conspiracy behind it. 
I am not saying it was a conspiracy. I am saying we were going to hire him. You are completely correct. That is until we realized Petrino was ready to take the job immediately, and the entire fan base was up in arms regarding the news of possibly hiring Grobe. Grobe wasn't the only one getting cold feet...

We mutually agreed to go our separate ways and allow Grobe to "turn us down."

Agent of Chaos

Quote from: rlh06 on November 02, 2012, 12:19:47 pm
That may be the common perspective. In actuality, Petrino "came into the mix" nearly two weeks before he was officially hired. He was first "contacted" by us in St. Louis 11 days before he was hired. Between November 30th and December 11th of 2007, there was more disinformation passed around than you could ever believe. My point is not to be very specific about the timeline, it's more about perspective and most that think they know how the whole Petrino hire went down do not have anywhere near the full perspective of how it actually went down.

pseudorabies

Quote from: Feralhog on November 02, 2012, 12:22:05 pm
3boars, now that you mention it, I remember hearing something like that. If memory serves, didn't Tommy boy parlay it into a nice little pay hike?

Long floated Bowdens name and several people poo poo'd it. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HogInIns on November 02, 2012, 12:21:13 pm

Yes, he was. More BAC disinformation.
Go Hogs Go!

Agent of Chaos

He did indeed.

But that happens all the time.

In fact, Gundy is doing it to us right now. lol

jry04

Yes. Bobby's agent actually represented Tommy. The funny thing is, some BOT members thought we were actually trying to hire Tommy when we were really just doing him a favor. Tommy new, Tommy's agent knew, and a select few at the U of A knew. That gives you an idiot how much misdirection Long can cause.

pseudorabies

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on November 02, 2012, 12:23:00 pm
I am not saying it was a conspiracy. I am saying we were going to hire him. You are completely correct. That is until we realized Petrino was ready to take the job immediately, and the entire fan base was up in arms regarding the news of possibly hiring Grobe. Grobe wasn't the only one getting cold feet...

We mutually agreed to go our separate ways and allow Grobe to "turn us down."

Nope.  Grobe would have been hired had he not backed out on his own.  Long's next target was Muschamp until Petrino fell in his lap. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Agent of Chaos on November 02, 2012, 12:24:09 pm
He did indeed.

correctamundo
Go Hogs Go!

HogCard

Can we please stop talking about 4 years ago and can someone please say the meeting is over and Gruden has been hired. 

Feralhog

Rl06, I remember reading about 2 contacts by Petrino, I seem to recall that Long basically ignored the first one. I wasn't in the loop at all for Petrino, I'm merely recounting stuff I remember reading.

Richard_white

Quote from: Agent of Chaos on November 02, 2012, 12:24:09 pm
He did indeed.

I believe Gundy got his raise.  I think he is trying to get his AD out.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: pseudorabies on November 02, 2012, 12:26:22 pm
Nope.  Grobe would have been hired had he not backed out on his own.  Long's next target was Muschamp until Petrino fell in his lap. 

You mean, until he was forced to talk to him by others who had significant influence over Long's future with the U of A? Same as M.A., same as now. No difference. Good business manager, poor in terms of a coaching search.
Go Hogs Go!

HogInIns

Quote from: rlh06 on November 02, 2012, 12:19:47 pm
That may be the common perception. In actuality, Petrino "came into the mix" nearly two weeks before he was officially hired. He was first "contacted" by us in St. Louis 11 days before he was hired. Between November 30th and December 11th of 2007, there was more disinformation passed around than you could ever believe. My point is not to be very specific about the timeline, it's more about perspective and most that think they know how the whole Petrino hire went down do not have anywhere near the full perspective of how it actually went down.
I am sorry, Pseudo.  You want to try again?
I can't stand Lil' Ole Arkansas Syndrome!!!

pseudorabies

Quote from: HogInIns on November 02, 2012, 12:29:35 pm
I am sorry, Pseudo.  You want to try again?
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 02, 2012, 12:29:02 pm
You mean, until he was forced to talk to him by others who had significant influence over Long's future with the U of A? Same as M.A., same as now. No difference. Good business manager, poor in terms of a coaching search.

I can agree with that.  However, Gruden isn't in play and never was. 

pseudorabies

Agent of Chaos

jry04

Are you kidding me? Petrino's camp was talking to us before we even offered Grobe. Russ Campbell, Petrino's agent who happened to be Bowden's agent, was in talks with Braunecker before we offered Grobe. Petrino was on the radar for at least a week that I know of before the whole Grobe ordeal happened. After Grobe, we immediately took action on Petrino. We didn't go after Muschamp, and had no plans to after Grobe because we knew who we wanted assuming he was being serious about his level of interest.

NaturalStateReb

He ain't even breathing hard.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

HogFansReunited

Quote from: HogCard on November 02, 2012, 12:28:24 pm
Can we please stop talking about 4 years ago and can someone please say the meeting is over and Gruden has been hired. 

Gruden wasn't even mentioned in the meeting today.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Quote from: HogCard on November 02, 2012, 12:28:24 pm
AMEN,,,
If at first you don't succeed,
then skydiving is not for you...

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: FireLong on November 02, 2012, 12:36:15 pm

Sources? Or opinion? If sources, do tell.
Go Hogs Go!

Feralhog

I assume rsvl, your post histury will reflect your above post's timeline?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: pseudorabies on November 02, 2012, 12:31:33 pm
I can agree with that.  However, Gruden isn't in play and never was. 

Boy, you are obsessed with your agenda, aren't you?
Go Hogs Go!

jry04

Quote from: Feralhog on November 02, 2012, 12:38:05 pm
I assume rsvl, your post histury will reflect your above post's timeline?
I don't even know what this means...

WoePigSooie

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 02, 2012, 12:39:11 pm
Boy, you are obsessed with your agenda, aren't you?

Probably stays up all night wondering why OCD isn't in alphabetical order.....

Agent of Chaos

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on November 02, 2012, 12:39:14 pm
I don't even know what this means...

It means that he's going to go through your post history and see if he can find something contradictory to what you just said in this thread.

It also means he has way too much free time.

PonderinHog

beebefootballfan

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 02, 2012, 12:37:18 pm
Sources? Or opinion? If sources, do tell.

I heard they just complained about pepsi and tabled the coaching hire untill next month
"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money."- Alexis de Tocqueville

brightstar hog

Quote from: ChemHog on November 02, 2012, 12:40:04 pm
Probably stays up all night wondering why OCD isn't in alphabetical order.....
This is funny +1

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Feralhog on November 02, 2012, 12:28:38 pm
Rl06, I remember reading about 2 contacts by Petrino, I seem to recall that Long basically ignored the first one. I wasn't in the loop at all for Petrino, I'm merely recounting stuff I remember reading.

Oh, I hear ya. My post was meant to give more perspective on the whole Petrino hire because it's one of the more interesting subjects on Hogville that has been driven by posters who, as it turns out, had a very limited perspective.  Definitely didn't mean that you were wrong.  The perception of how that went down to some here and therefore the "reading material" some members provided to those here has always been from a grossly limited perspective.  Carry on!
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

SpineHog

This isn't difficult. The BOT has a publicly-available agenda to follow for their meeting. They end the final discussion point and formally end the meeting. Then all are together in one location to discuss the coaching hire in an off-the-record manner, put together a verbally-agreeable package, etc. They're not bound by the constraints of their official meeting.

Feralhog

Rsvl, unless I misread your post, you claim you knew we were in talks with BP almost two weeks before we hired him. I'm just asking if we pulled up your posts from back thenn would it support your claim?

Boarme

The bigger question is did they go into executive session?

jry04

Quote from: Agent of Chaos on November 02, 2012, 12:41:54 pm
It means that he's going to go through your post history and see if he can find something contradictory to what you just said in this thread.

It also means he has way too much free time.
Well in that case, feel free. I won't say either way. I would rather him do some digging.