Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

“I might play defensive back" Lance Ray

Started by tendu, December 11, 2008, 10:08:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hog Waller

With his size and speed he could do really well at either of the safety positions.

jaredkr

So he committed to us....but isn't ruling out other schools. I'm guessing this guy never makes it to campus if an instate Miami, FSU, FL, offer him
I am Ray Finkel

fu-man-soo

December 11, 2008, 10:13:27 am #3 Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 10:36:23 am by fu-man-soo
i like that attitude.

paul petrino has put a lot of time in this kid, i bet he stays with us

The Hogfather

Quote from: fu-man-soo on December 11, 2008, 10:13:27 am
i like that attitude.

Verbally committing to one team and then saying that you are still open to other schools?

Music City Hog

Yeah, I dont like the part about how he isnt ruling out other schools.  Looks like he waiting for a "better offer".

Hawgndaaz

kinda like being in an open relationship..that's my take on his commitment.

arkansas is my best offer, but i'm always open for better opportunities?

U.P. HOGG

Quote from: jaredkr on December 11, 2008, 10:10:47 am
So he committed to us....but isn't ruling out other schools. I'm guessing this guy never makes it to campus if an instate Miami, FSU, FL, offer him

That concerns me more than LSU. 

cdhogfan

So LSU offered because he is commited to us?  Sounds like they really respect our coache's opinion.  Either that or they are not so confident in their own opinions.

songofthesword

AnthroHog

I thought once he went home and talked it over with his parents for a couple of days that he was going to be rock solid in his decision.  I wonder if he's still going to take his trip to Illinois.

Conway4Hogs

Commitment as defined by Websters is

an agreement or pledge to do something in the future

Just thought I would put that out there for these kids confusing COMMITMENT  for MAYBE

SpaHog

You guys sound like HDN "we only want Razorbacks that want to be Razorbacks"

Don't get so emotional about it.  The reason we have such a better class is because we are on guys that HDN would never have recruited because of his fear of rejection. 

Remember the fat girl is easy to take home because she appreciates the attention more.  Sometimes you have to work on the hot girls more because they're use to the attention. 

Beaverfever

December 11, 2008, 10:49:24 am #13 Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 10:51:52 am by Beaverfever
Why would you commit to a school in DECEMBER and then say you are looking at other schools.  To save a spot, while you wait for a big time, most likely in state school to offer at the last second and ditch us?  A team like FL or Miami could very well have a spot left at the end of the recruiting process and say, "what the hell lets give it to this home state kid that runs a 4.3.  He could turn into a player." and boom lest second flip screws us over....I hope if we can finish up with a bunch of 4 and 5 star guys like we are in the hunt for and we need to find an extra spot or two, we tell guys like these to look around.  I am all about getting the best talent and don't like to worry about hurt feelings, but no way you can cut a guy's scholly that hasn't been taking visits while keeping a guy that commits and then takes a bunch of visits waiting for a better offer.  These "soft verbals" should work both ways.

SpaHog

Quote from: Beaverfever on December 11, 2008, 10:49:24 am
Why would you commit to a school in DECEMBER and then say you are looking at other schools.  To save a spot, while you wait for a big time, most likely in state school to offer at the last second and ditch us?  A team like FL or Miami could very well have a spot left at the end of the recruiting process and say, "what the hell lets give it to this home state kid that runs a 4.3.  He could turn into a player." and boom lest second flip screws us over....I hope if we can finish up with a bunch of 4 and 5 star guys like we are in the hunt for and we need to find an extra spot or two, we tell guys like these to look around.  I am all about getting the best talent and don't like to worry about hurt feelings, but no way you can cut a guy's scholly that hasn't been taking visits while keeping a guy that commits and then takes a bunch of visits waiting for a better offer.  These "soft verbals" should work both ways.

That's why BP will have more than 25 commits.   

dianne fineswine

I think we can assume our coaches know just where we stand with this guy and will respond appropriately.
Ineptocracy - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Beaverfever

Quote from: SpaHog on December 11, 2008, 10:55:33 am
That's why BP will have more than 25 commits.   
Well sort of.  A couple can count back to the last class.  So really that is why he is going to have more than 27 or 28 commits, which he will.  Most of our commits are very solid though.  I think grades will be the main reason we lose a couple guys.

Dances With Hogs

There is no commitment or ethics any more Ill say Arkansas till a better offer comes its all about me, me, me.
Quote from: Conway4Hogs on December 11, 2008, 10:45:21 am
Commitment as defined by Websters is

an agreement or pledge to do something in the future

Just thought I would put that out there for these kids confusing COMMITMENT  for MAYBE

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: SpaHog on December 11, 2008, 10:49:07 am
You guys sound like HDN "we only want Razorbacks that want to be Razorbacks"

Don't get so emotional about it.  The reason we have such a better class is because we are on guys that HDN would never have recruited because of his fear of rejection. 

Remember the fat girl is easy to take home because she appreciates the attention more.  Sometimes you have to work on the hot girls more because they're use to the attention. 

I agree about working to raise the bar.

I just don't see why he committed if he isn't committed this late in the process. I understand, the kid might be trying to draw interest from in-state schools where he probably grew up dreaming of playing.

It just sucks when recruits pimp themselves around (think Jimmy Sexton and his clientel) in order to get better offers.

Dances With Hogs

The NCAA loves rules so come up with a new one where if a recruit committs he is locked in no switching around.
Quote from: Beaverfever on December 11, 2008, 10:49:24 am

songofthesword

and i was harpooned about not having faith when he didnt commit while he was on campus. told you this didnt' smell right

regi

He is not the only kid committed yet willing to listen, in fact he is just one of many who do the same thing now a days. Sheldon Richardson is committed to Mizzou per rivals and he is taking visits including us. Does this bother anybody?

songofthesword

sivad53

your right song he didn't commit to us????? you said that ray was gone lol

regi

Dances With Hogs

Some coaches like Sabin say if committed to AL no more looking around or you will be dropped.
Quote from: regi on December 11, 2008, 11:57:19 am
He is not the only kid committed yet willing to listen, in fact he is just one of many who do the same thing now a days. Sheldon Richardson is committed to Mizzou per rivals and he is taking visits including us. Does this bother anybody?

Beaverfever

Quote from: Dances With Hogs on December 11, 2008, 11:51:12 am
The NCAA loves rules so come up with a new one where if a recruit committs he is locked in no switching around.
It's not just committing and decommitting that bothers me.  I realize that happens sometimes and it's not preferable but it is what it is.  Sometimes people just have a genuine change of heart.  What bothers me is particular situations like this where a guy commits to save himself a spot if he doesn't get a better deal.  We are not some second rate school like ASU that has to deal with that.  But BP is, from most accounts, a shrewd business man and I'll trust him to have our best interest at hand. 

PorkSoda

Quote from: Dances With Hogs on December 11, 2008, 11:51:12 am
That is what the letter of intent is for.  It is open for change until you sign the letter of intent.  Then you need a release from the school.

a commit is what it is and nothing more.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

regi

Quote from: Dances With Hogs on December 11, 2008, 12:16:13 pm
Some coaches like Sabin say if committed to AL no more looking around or you will be dropped.

You think he would have said that to Julio Jones?

cardinalandwhite

Quote from: Beaverfever on December 11, 2008, 12:20:37 pm
It's not just committing and decommitting that bothers me.  I realize that happens sometimes and it's not preferable but it is what it is.  Sometimes people just have a genuine change of heart.  What bothers me is particular situations like this where a guy commits to save himself a spot if he doesn't get a better deal.  We are not some second rate school like ASU that has to deal with that.  But BP is, from most accounts, a shrewd business man and I'll trust him to have our best interest at hand. 

It seems that Ray is talented enough that BP's willing to put up with it.  As long as he's a hog on NSD (or replaced by someone better, say Randle [I can dream!]).
"Wise people think all they say; fools say all they think." - Anonymous

Beaverfever

Quote from: regi on December 11, 2008, 12:23:54 pm
You think he would have said that to Julio Jones?
Obviously not, but 99.99% of recruits aren't julio jones. 

hogman1974

He may very well come to Arkansas, but he is NOT committed.  He is just LEANING.  He had no idea about all the offers that will now come out of the woodwork.  Suddenly, he is feeling very special.  Good for him.  But not so good for us.  I would love to get him, but we'll see in the end if he chooses us over LSU, etc.  I hope he does, but he's not committed.  That word doesn't exist anymore.

songofthesword

i don't understand what the allure is to a team we beat two times in a row

Corkscrew Johnson

i think the nickname is a little too long but it gets points for originality.

Hog Nutt

I think he really wants to play WR. South Carolina is out because they wanted him at LB and are "full" at WR. He must be waiting to see who will play him at WR.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: Hog Nutt on December 11, 2008, 04:29:06 pm
I think he really wants to play WR. South Carolina is out because they wanted him at LB and are "full" at WR. He must be waiting to see who will play him at WR.

Arkansas is still recruiting several other Safety's which is very re-assuring if a recruit is monitoring any message board or recruiting site to see if a Coach is lying.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Remember, we are still looking too.  Bet if we can get a good promise from a better player we will take it and drop him.  Remember, its a business.  No coach wants to look back and say if I hadn't stuck with that 3 star and dumped him for the 4 star that went on and made AA at another school, I would likely have won a NC and received that 200K extra.  Today's recruits want the love which in my day wasn't love but was called what it is, ass kissing and sucking up.  They need that big ego spit polished daily.  Truthfully some of them need their hineys kicked and have a complete attitude adjustment.  Not saying this kid fits that.

OKhogfan1959

Richardson can wait as long as he wants and visit as much as he wants. He's a bigtime national recruit. No coach would pull his offer for visiting another school.

regi

December 11, 2008, 05:23:37 pm #38 Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 05:30:06 pm by regi
Quote from: LawnHog48 on December 11, 2008, 04:53:14 pm
Richardson can wait as long as he wants and visit as much as he wants. He's a bigtime national recruit. No coach would pull his offer for visiting another school.

Petrino will not pull Ray's either. The kid is 6-2 200+ and runs a 4.3, he also plays in the best high school football state in America (per NFL rosters). He also has 15 offers. He is not worthy of looking around? Ray is not the only Razorback committ still taking calls and or visits either.

regi

December 11, 2008, 05:24:47 pm #39 Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 05:28:08 pm by regi

VenturaHog

Quote from: 12247 on December 11, 2008, 04:49:34 pm
Remember, we are still looking too.  Bet if we can get a good promise from a better player we will take it and drop him.  Remember, its a business.  No coach wants to look back and say if I hadn't stuck with that 3 star and dumped him for the 4 star that went on and made AA at another school, I would likely have won a NC and received that 200K extra.  Today's recruits want the love which in my day wasn't love but was called what it is, ass kissing and sucking up.  They need that big ego spit polished daily.  Truthfully some of them need their hineys kicked and have a complete attitude adjustment.  Not saying this kid fits that.

Coaches don't accept commitments and then drop kids, its career suicide, much more so than passing on a higher rated kid. Petrino wants to get into Fla very badly, this would ruin his relationship with coaches in that area.

BayofPigs

this is what the article says:
"When I went on the visit, I felt real good about Arkansas," Ray said. "I felt real comfortable around the coaches and the atmosphere. I really liked the things they are setting out to do for the next few years."

Ray's commitment to the SEC school elicited a scholarship offer from LSU on Wednesday. He said he hasn't completely ruled out other schools, but for now he believes Arkansas is the place for him.

"I'm still hearing other schools," Ray said.

looking at all the responses on this thread, you'd think the kid is trashing Ark. or something.
you guys need to read the article instead of going on some witch hunt & lecturing on what the word committment means.
Some of you are way too sensitive

regi

Quote from: BayofPigs on December 11, 2008, 05:29:55 pm
this is what the article says:
“When I went on the visit, I felt real good about Arkansas,” Ray said. “I felt real comfortable around the coaches and the atmosphere. I really liked the things they are setting out to do for the next few years.”

Ray’s commitment to the SEC school elicited a scholarship offer from LSU on Wednesday. He said he hasn’t completely ruled out other schools, but for now he believes Arkansas is the place for him.

“I’m still hearing other schools,” Ray said.

looking at all the responses on this thread, you'd think the kid is trashing Ark. or something.
you guys need to read the article instead of going on some witch hunt & lecturing on what the word committment means.
Some of you are way too sensitive

Bingo