Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Neighbors profile

Started by jbcarol, June 13, 2017, 03:54:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/SECCountryHogs/status/874705030556909569

Quote"I'm not gonna sit here and lie to you and tell you that as a rookie coach coming into the SEC it doesn't have that effect a little bit," Neighbors told SEC Country after that May 31 gathering during the SEC's 2017 spring meetings.

"There are a lot of really good, smart people in this conference. It's a big-time atmosphere with a lot of really smart, talented people. It makes you want to work hard because if you don't, you're gonna get left behind."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

psycHOGlogist

Thanks for sharing that. Hard not to like this guy a lot so far.

LadybackBBFan

Very different than our last coach and that is good!

flippinhogmana

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on June 14, 2017, 10:22:54 am
Very different than our last coach and that is good!

Let me say this as briefly as I can.  Much of what JD espoused, I have a commonality with.  The major difference is that I try to practice a great deal more humility with my brilliance than he did.  It is better for other lips to praise than your own.  Did he praise himself openly?  No.

But he in effect demonstrated at least a sort of arrogance (perhaps it was due to insecurity and resulting compensation for that, I could never be certain).  That seeming arrogance was most displayed by the fact that he would never open himself up and listen to people, notably his female assistant coaches who had more experience than him and were both willing and in a position to help him.

Quite contrary to that is the sort of approach and seeming attitude of Neighbors.  Let me give a simple example.  In this article he identifies himself as a 'rookie' in the SEC (which is true but doesn't magnify his previous accomplishments).  That sort of self-effacing display goes a long way to letting people know you dont think of yourself more highly than you are.  Does that mean the Mike is daunted by the task? 

No, it means he takes it seriously and he know that 'I have arrived' will not be enough in and of itself.  He said he plans to work hard.  I submit he will listen too.  That is a most excellent head start.  Listening doesn't weaken you, it doesn't expose you to undue influence.  It doesn't undermine your authority. 

You can always defer to what you already know to be true.  You can thank a person, and do something else but you have shown respect and you have shown that person you value them.  That kind of keeps your hat size down and makes people around you willing to help you build something.  I predict that MN will do well here.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

jim683

if you watched any of the Washington games,  at times Plum would help draw up the play to use out of a time out.  I saw this more than once.  He will listen to others.  He may not always follow it, but he will listen

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net