Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

From the scrimmage today

Started by Mike Irwin, March 10, 2018, 04:45:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lahhog

Quote from: The Kig on March 11, 2018, 02:46:51 pm
While true, the reason is to prevent injury to your QB when something breaks down.  An RB or another lineman might have picked up the rush or the QB could scramble and prevent a sack in a real game situation, but at the core it's a blown assignment by an OL or a mismatch in the playcalling (i.e. the D had more players than the O could block). 

Not bagging on our OL... (yet) it's early and they are learning a new system, as is every player on both Offense and Defense.  However few units performed worse than the OL over the past few years and now they do it without Ragnow.

I definitely understand that plays are stopped early to protect the qbs. I was referring more to plays being stopped on designed roll out plays where I was curious to see the qbs showcase their mobility more. I am trying to remain optimistic with OL. While the line struggled last year, the coaching staff has been pleased with them this spring. Many sacks can be attributed to QBs holding the ball too long and RBs not pass blocking (both of which coaches have mentioned). Im not saying never blame the OL, but they will have enough struggles and complaints aimed towards them without adopting the blame for other groups.

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 11, 2018, 05:20:26 pm
Think Marshon Lattimore with the cocks several years back. He's the type of power back that HS LB's could be squared up against him and he'd still leave them on the backs while he kept running and then go on to outrun DB's who had angles on him.

Obviously that won't likely translate to college 1:1, but his listed 40 time was 4.42 (so he probably runs an electric time in the high 4.5's) and he did run the 100m sprint in 10.72 seconds so the guy has some wheels to along with his power and some wiggle, but is more of a N-S runner than a jitterbug.

Re: Maleek Williams.

Good. Thanks. How he develops this Spring will be interesting to watch. The last thing I remember (prior to David Williams coming in) was that he was going to really be in the mix. Maleek was the bigger back, Chase was the quick one, Devwah was somewhere in between. Maybe Maleek is the sleeper this year.

What I would say about our returning running backs is the same as all our skill guys (quarterbacks, receivers)...our O was so poor/inconsistent last year, I don't really know what we have now. But I'm still optimistic.

At QB, most of us think it will be Kelley penciled in as the starter. Morris not saying is absolutely the right move. Our play at the quarterback position last year, including Kelley, was not good. Why would anyone from a 4-8 / 1-7 team think he's totally safe? Maybe there will be a time we'll have a clear starter going into Spring ball, and Morris will say so (if that's his style.)
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

GuvHog

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on March 11, 2018, 10:07:14 pm
Re: Maleek Williams.

Good. Thanks. How he develops this Spring will be interesting to watch. The last thing I remember (prior to David Williams coming in) was that he was going to really be in the mix. Maleek was the bigger back, Chase was the quick one, Devwah was somewhere in between. Maybe Maleek is the sleeper this year.

What I would say about our returning running backs is the same as all our skill guys (quarterbacks, receivers)...our O was so poor/inconsistent last year, I don't really know what we have now. But I'm still optimistic.

At QB, most of us think it will be Kelley penciled in as the starter. Morris not saying is absolutely the right move. Our play at the quarterback position last year, including Kelley, was not good. Why would anyone from a 4-8 / 1-7 team think he's totally safe? Maybe there will be a time we'll have a clear starter going into Spring ball, and Morris will say so (if that's his style.)

Why would anyone think Kelley is safe?? It's really quite simple: He's the only QB with college playing experience AND he started some games last year. It's really a no Brainer.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

PorkSoda

Quote from: GuvHog on March 12, 2018, 04:46:06 pm
Why would anyone think Kelley is safe?? It's really quite simple: He's the only QB with college playing experience AND he started some games last year. It's really a no Brainer.
I'm pretty much done with "no brain" decisions.  I'm hoping that Morris uses his to determine who is the best QB by actually watching and evaluating them based on their actions.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

GuvHog

Quote from: PorkSoda on March 12, 2018, 05:03:29 pm
I'm pretty much done with "no brain" decisions.  I'm hoping that Morris uses his to determine who is the best QB by actually watching and evaluating them based on their actions.

Any good coach that's worth his salt will tell you that starting a QB with absolutely no college playing experience is a recipe for disaster especially in the SEC.

PorkSoda

Quote from: GuvHog on March 12, 2018, 05:58:31 pm
Any good coach that's worth his salt will tell you that starting a QB with absolutely no college playing experience is a recipe for disaster especially in the SEC.
like manziel?  or matt jones? or cam newton?

"any coach worth their salt" will evaluate and play the best QB. 

I like Kelly, but lets not act like he isn't starting off in a hole due to his off the field issues.  he has more to prove to earn the job than any of them.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

greenEGnHAWGS

Nobody has SEC experience until they do, and not all of them struggle their first year.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

sshawg

What about the Alabama ( two of them ) QB's ?

Wooderson

If another QB has a higher ceiling than Kelley no matter the experience, I would argue that you play him.  Morris has a free pass for a couple years.  Might as well ID the best qb and develop him with game experience.
Give me liberty, or give me death!

Carl Lazlo

Quote from: Wooderson on March 12, 2018, 08:43:43 pm
If another QB has a higher ceiling than Kelley no matter the experience, I would argue that you play him.  Morris has a free pass for a couple years.  Might as well ID the best qb and develop him with game experience.

Look at the stats from the scrimmage and tell me who has the highest ceiling.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Carl Lazlo on March 12, 2018, 08:46:24 pm
Look at the stats from the scrimmage and tell me who has the highest ceiling.

Please tell us...How can you determine "highest ceiling" from scrimmage stats?
Best completion percentage? What type of passes was he throwing? Screens?
Most yardage? Did someone make a catch and then run for 50 yards?
How many dropped passes did the WR's have?
Just curious...
I'll hang up & listen.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Porkys Revenge

Mitch Mustain  ???

hawgfan4life

Our OL play was so bad the last two years it completely ruined the QB that had all SEC ability despite the anti-BA posters.  The OL play was bad the year before and unbelievably digressed from there and throughout the year.  IMO, it totally undermined the QB's ability and confidence.  It undermined the coaches ability to call plays and it screwed up the RB blocking scheme and improvement.  When something is that bad, other players start trying to compensate and they don't do their own job.  That said, we have talent in the skill positions and more OL talent than what was displayed for two years.  Maybe not SEC Champion good, but 7 or 8 win good! 

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: sshawg on March 12, 2018, 07:43:37 pm

Exactly. Saban isn't worth his salt! Playing a freshman with no SEC experience...THEN threw in a guy in the Championship game without ANY experience. What a bum.

Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Porkys Revenge on March 12, 2018, 08:59:22 pm
Mitch Mustain  ???

Well, it did end up being somewhat of a disaster. Ha!  ;)

GuvHog

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on March 12, 2018, 10:48:39 pm
Exactly. Saban isn’t worth his salt! Playing a freshman with no SEC experience...THEN threw in a guy in the Championship game without ANY experience. What a bum.

Saban didn't start the Freshman. He started a Veteran Sophomore QB who had led the Tide to the National Championship game the year before. The same QB who had started all year. In the National Championship game this year. Saban was facing a head coach who had spent time on the Tide staff and knew the Tide's starting QB's weakness which was that he was a much better runner than he was a passer. Kirby Smart correctly game planned to stop the Tide running game and force their Sophomore QB to win the game with his arm which he wasn't comfortable doing. It worked in the first half so Saban decided to take a big risk and bench his Sophomore QB for a highly touted 5 star Freshman Phenom QB with a live arm. In essence, Saban was lucky. He wasn't going to win the game with Hurts at QB and he wasn't about to stand pat and lose a second National title game in a row so he took a major league gamble and it luckily paid off.

There are no highly touted 5 star Phenom QBs on the Razorback football team and their still won't be after the newcomers arrive in June. Get the point??

GuvHog

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on March 13, 2018, 06:26:54 am
Well, it did end up being somewhat of a disaster. Ha!  ;)

Yep, the guy left for USC and unfortunately became a 5 Star flop.

Besides, who else would Hooty have started with Casey Dick injured?? He had no choice BUT to go with Mustain.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: sshawg on March 12, 2018, 07:43:37 pm
or Georgia the last two years. it's a tired , old, FALSe narrative
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: CFB_Fanatic on March 10, 2018, 07:22:42 pm
Would much rather hear that than hear one side dominated the other, which usually indicates a major weakness.

How did the secondary look? Are the DBs in position?

Per several coaches, defense is way ahead of offense at this point.

twistitup

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on March 13, 2018, 09:20:46 am
Per several coaches, defense is way ahead of offense at this point.

but we are playing ourselves - we really don't know what 'ahead' means.

CBB said for weeks that we were looking great during practice - then we would face another team and look like we hadn't practiced at all.

When coaches say practice looks good I kind of giggle
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

rhames

Quote from: GuvHog on March 13, 2018, 07:41:48 am
Saban didn't start the Freshman. He started a Veteran Sophomore QB who had led the Tide to the National Championship game the year before. The same QB who had started all year. In the National Championship game this year. Saban was facing a head coach who had spent time on the Tide staff and knew the Tide's starting QB's weakness which was that he was a much better runner than he was a passer. Kirby Smart correctly game planned to stop the Tide running game and force their Sophomore QB to win the game with his arm which he wasn't comfortable doing. It worked in the first half so Saban decided to take a big risk and bench his Sophomore QB for a highly touted 5 star Freshman Phenom QB with a live arm. In essence, Saban was lucky. He wasn't going to win the game with Hurts at QB and he wasn't about to stand pat and lose a second National title game in a row so he took a major league gamble and it luckily paid off.

There are no highly touted 5 star Phenom QBs on the Razorback football team and their still won't be after the newcomers arrive in June. Get the point??

What year was that veteran QB last season?
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

rhames

Quote from: GuvHog on March 13, 2018, 07:49:37 am
Yep, the guy left for USC and unfortunately became a 5 Star flop.

Besides, who else would Hooty have started with Casey Dick injured?? He had no choice BUT to go with Mustain.

Except he started Robert Johnson before Mustain.

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

PorkRinds

Any good coach knows listening to GUV is a death sentence for their career. He's like Jon Snow, except he literally knows nothing.

rhames

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 13, 2018, 10:57:37 am
Any good coach knows listening to GUV is a death sentence for their career. He's like Jon Snow, except he literally knows nothing.

GUV is the Prince that WAS NOT promised

PorkRinds

Quote from: rhames on March 13, 2018, 11:00:02 am
GUV is the Prince that WAS NOT promised

He's Hodor without the bravery and a slightly better vocabulary.

RME

March 13, 2018, 11:04:30 am #125 Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 11:22:56 am by RyanMallettsEgo
Quote from: GuvHog on March 13, 2018, 07:41:48 am

I don't luck has a whole lot to do with a career record of 218–62–1 and 6 national championships.

I think that just means you're good at your job and you know what to do in certain situations.

Tua entered the national championship with stats of 35-53, 66% completion percentage, 470 yards, 8 TD, and 1 INT on the season. Saban knew exactly what he was doing. He didn't "luck" into anything.

rhames

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 13, 2018, 11:01:39 am
He's Hodor without the bravery and a slightly better vocabulary.

Aww man. What a slight at Hodor

Hahaha.

liljo

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on March 13, 2018, 11:04:30 am
I don't luck has a whole lot to do with a career record of 218–62–1 and 6 national championships.

I think that just means you're good at your job and you know what to do in certain situations.

Tua entered the national championship with stats of 35-53, 66% completion percentage, 8 TD and 1 INT on the season. Saban knew exactly what he was doing. He didn't "luck" into anything.
No he sure didn't. It was a halftime adjustment Georgia simply couldn't have foreseen.

Many times in games, when the starting QB is hurt, a "second-string" QB with a different skillset will come in and be highly successful. The opposing defense didn't spend much (or any) time preparing for the replacement. In Alabama's case, almost all preparation by Georgia was for Hurts. Had Tua started some games for Alabama, or had he been the anticipated starter, he would have faced a much more prepared Georgia defense.

He's great, no mistake about that, but "shock value" goes a long ways sometimes. I think Saban kept that little "secret weapon" ready all year. Georgia was quite prepared for Hurts, but just couldn't see Tua coming.
Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

liljo

Y'all it is sounding better all the time on the defense, to me at least.

Ramsey is shining. Jamario Bell sounds like he might have become the werewolf everyone thought he was going to be. Pretty sure Sosa is going to just be a monster. Pulley and Ramirez are likely to have great seasons.

I think Chavis is developing some real weapons. From what I'm reading and hearing on various radio shows, the coaches are backing off now on offensive installation, and just concentrating on rep-rep-rep, which I think is really good.

I find it very enjoyable just trying to follow along and keep up with the progress of this team. Lot's of fun!

Go Hogs!
Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

Carl Lazlo

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on March 12, 2018, 08:50:16 pm
Please tell us...How can you determine "highest ceiling" from scrimmage stats?
Best completion percentage? What type of passes was he throwing? Screens?
Most yardage? Did someone make a catch and then run for 50 yards?
How many dropped passes did the WR's have?
Just curious...
I'll hang up & listen.

Thats all we have to go by fella. Plus last years film.  Kelley isnt getting jumped.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Carl Lazlo on March 14, 2018, 02:40:52 pm
Thats all we have to go by fella. Plus last years film.  Kelley isnt getting jumped.

That's my point. You can't determine someone's "ceiling" by Spring practice stats.

Hogindasticks

Quote from: PorkSoda on March 12, 2018, 05:03:29 pm
Don't think that two of the freshmen quarterbacks don't have a playbook they are studying...

As far as the defense......smh.....we gonna be ugly...lol

PigPusher

And, besides all that the coaches get paid big bucks to know what they are doing. I for one am going to trust in that and am expecting a fun time upcoming in Razorback football. "Bout time too." A hog lover since October of 1954' Go Hogs!
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

presidenthog

Quote from: PigPusher on March 15, 2018, 12:11:36 am
And, besides all that the coaches get paid big bucks to know what they are doing. I for one am going to trust in that and am expecting a fun time upcoming in Razorback football. "Bout time too." A hog lover since October of 1954' Go Hogs!

That's what everyone said about the last staff

HogFoo

Quote from: hawgfan4life on March 12, 2018, 09:39:24 pm
Our OL play was so bad the last two years it completely ruined the QB that had all SEC ability despite the anti-BA posters.  The OL play was bad the year before and unbelievably digressed from there and throughout the year.  IMO, it totally undermined the QB's ability and confidence.  It undermined the coaches ability to call plays and it screwed up the RB blocking scheme and improvement.  When something is that bad, other players start trying to compensate and they don't do their own job.  That said, we have talent in the skill positions and more OL talent than what was displayed for two years.  Maybe not SEC Champion good, but 7 or 8 win good!
The previous staff, everything depended on OL. Which, ive mentioned it many times. The absolute most important position on the team, and when Pittman left, he took all the mojo we had, which wouldnt had been so bad if Bielema would have just went down the list of "top10" best coach/recruiter.  If he had did that, paid whatever it took to get them, he mughy even still be the coach.  But, he hires a complete nobody with zero recruiting ability.  You dont do that for the most IMPORTANT position on the team!  Plus the guy wasnt playing the best talent.  So , yeah, the Hogs have talent at OL, (and at a lot of positions)and i think this staff will find it and use it.  OL will be in the best shape theyve ever been in. Be much quicker.  Plus shotgun will help.  I think this OL will surprise most because i believe theyll play better and be almost night and day better.  Which will be good for us.
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

ricepig

Quote from: presidenthog on March 15, 2018, 01:01:50 am

And will say about the next staff, and the one that follows them. It's what fans hold on to with each change, some hope.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

twistitup

Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 15, 2018, 08:54:05 am
Love Spring Ball !

I'm more a fan of Fall Ball....the season, where it really counts

Spring is for crappie

mevskithog

Quote from: twistitup on March 15, 2018, 10:55:36 am
I'm more a fan of Fall Ball....the season, where it really counts

Spring is for crappie
They're biting in north LA!

PigPusher

And, why not what with his credentials at the time. got to go with what you are dealt.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

Hogindasticks

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on March 12, 2018, 10:48:39 pm
Exactly. Saban isn't worth his salt! Playing a freshman with no SEC experience...THEN threw in a guy in the Championship game without ANY experience. What a bum.

He did that cause Kirby hadn't seen him play.

twistitup

Quote from: mevskithog on March 15, 2018, 12:17:54 pm
They're biting in north LA!

Same w northwest AR...white bass, crappie, walleye (all in the same areas)- it's a melting pot of fishing action at the moment.

I say troll and see what happens

southeasthog

Quote from: twistitup on March 16, 2018, 07:43:06 am
Same w northwest AR...white bass, crappie, walleye (all in the same areas)- it's a melting pot of fishing action at the moment.

I say troll and see what happens

Well you are the expert on trolling.

Bazinga.
Quote from: 1990sHogBallChild on March 04, 2023, 04:08:32 pmWe have peaked... lucked his way to two elite 8s by getting the most favorable draws in tourney history. Beat the most over-rated 1 seed in the history of college basketball in Gonzaga who would be a 6 seed if they played in a real conference. Then Muss's other 5 tourney wins are against an average of a 12 seed. A few dozen coaches could have done that. Two losing records in SEC play is as much as MA had in 8 years.

Justagp

Quote from: #hammerdown on March 10, 2018, 05:38:53 pm
I'm a glass half full kind of guy but that sounds like our OLine still has a long way to go.
I agree.

UA1985

Quote from: GuvHog on March 12, 2018, 04:46:06 pm
That doesn't constitute a "no Brainer" [sic] in my opinion. First, you stated one thing (he played last season) as if it were two different things. Second, you forgot to mention that he played poorly last season. Had he played well last season, perhaps it would be a no-brainer to pencil him in as the starter. But he did not exactly light up opposing defenses last season.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: UA1985 on March 19, 2018, 01:21:52 am
That doesn't constitute a "no Brainer" [sic] in my opinion. First, you stated one thing (he played last season) as if it were two different things. Second, you forgot to mention that he WE played poorly last season. Had he played well last season, perhaps it would be a no-brainer to pencil him in as the starter. But he did not exactly light up opposing defenses last season.

The team as a whole played poorly last season. Much of that is on the coaching staff.
This is my non-signature signature.

bennyl08

Quote from: UA1985 on March 19, 2018, 01:21:52 am
That doesn't constitute a "no Brainer" [sic] in my opinion. First, you stated one thing (he played last season) as if it were two different things. Second, you forgot to mention that he played poorly last season. Had he played well last season, perhaps it would be a no-brainer to pencil him in as the starter. But he did not exactly light up opposing defenses last season.

First, he actually multiple things and for brevity condensed it to two different things. No other qb has any collegiate experience on our roster. Kelley does. Not only does Kelley have playing time at all, he actually has a start under his belt. Not only does he have a start, he has multiple starts for about a third of a season. Not only does he have this experience, but this experience came just last season so it isn't like his playing time was 2 years ago type of thing.

As for playing "poorly", compare Kelley's play

Kelley 87-151 57.6% 1038 yds 6.9 ypa 8:4 td/in 127.5 rating RsFr
A. Allen 9-19 47% 188 yards, 9.9 ypa, 1:1 td/int combining rsFr and RsSo so don't want to manually recalc the qbr
B. Allen 21-49 43% 186 yards, 3.8 ypa, 1:3 td/int 69.2 rating, RsFr
T. Wilson, 33-58 57%, 287 yards, 4.9 ypa, 3:4 td/int, combining fr and RsFr year so not combing the rating
R. Mallett, 61-141 43.3%, 892 yards, 6.3 ypa, 7:5 td/int 105.7 rating, true freshmen
N. Dick, 36-62 58% 454 yards, 7.3 ypa, 4:2 td/int 134.4 rating, RsFr
C. Dick, 53-99 53.5%, 584 yards, 5.9 ypa 7:4 td/int 118.3 rating, don't remember if redshirt or true freshmen
M. Mustain, 69-132 52.3%, 94 yards 6.8 ypa, 10:9 td/int 120.5 rating, true freshmen
(skipping a few like R. Johnson, etc with minimal experience before being the top passer and just going with the big names)
M. Jones: 12-27 44% 275 yards 10.2 ypa, 4:3 ratio, 156.7 rating, freshmen
C. Stoerner: 11-37 30% 153 yards 4.1 ypa, 0:6 td/int, 32.0 rating, freshmen

Go any further and we are way out of the realm of modern football.

So yeah, while his play wasn't on par with a RsSr qb's play or something, check back what our other qb's have done within their early years before they became starters and nobody holds up to Kelley at the same point in their careers. N. Dick is the only one who really comes close even. For those complaining that his completion percentage was <60%, do realize that if he never throws a single other pass, he'd rank as our 4th most accurate qb of all time. The cutoff is 100 attempts  which he has 151, and his 57.6% ranks behind only Wilson at 62.6%, Mallett at 60.3%, and Austin Allen at 59.1% and just ahead of Brandon Allen who sits at 57.4%.

Nathan Dick is also the only one to be able to match a 2:1 ratio of td's to interceptions. Heck, Stoerner started 0 for 6 in that category.

Sure, he was the most accurate and most efficient in terms of tds vs interceptions, but maybe he was just taking the easy, short passes? His YPA is near the tops as well with only AA, ND, and MJ ahead of him there.

Two last thoughts. First, maybe you are looking at Tyler and asking why I didn't include his third year? I did it for Austin Allen. However, Austin played so little his first two years possible that I wanted to give as high a volume as possible while Tyler actually played in a redshirt year, and was thus not IMO a fair comparison. Still, that becomes
C. Kelley 87-151 57.6% 1038 yds 6.9 ypa 8:4 td/int 127.5 rating RsFr
T. Wilson 67-109 61% 740 yds 6.8 ypa, 7:7 td/int, and includes 3 years of playing time

Even with three years of playing time, Wilson had less experience, barely more accurate, still didn't push the ball as far downfield despite throwing to more experienced receivers, and is way below Kelley in td's to interceptions. So, as you can see, I wasn't trying to hide some secret thing that would hurt my argument.

And for the second final thought, let's compare apples to apples as best we can. Cole Kelley's first start to Brandon Allen's first start. Both qb's were thrust into action unexpectedly after having to take over mid-game the week before for an established starter. Both qb's had their first official start against Alabama. Both qb's playing in a season with a lost locker room. Note, Kelley's game was on the road @Bama while BA's game was at home.

B. Allen: 10-18 55.5%, 60 yards 3.3 ypa 0:2 td/int, 3 rushes, -19 yards
C. Kelley: 23-42 55%, 200 yards 4.8 ypa 1:1 td/int, 11 rushes, -10 yards

Kelley led the offense to 9 total points (again, on the road) vs BA's zero points. What about help from the running game? Kelley had 37 yards rushing from his teammates at 2 yards a pop while BA had 108 yards rushing from his teammates at 3.3 ypr.

BA would go on to have one of the greatest seasons in Arkansas history at QB in 2015. Unless Morris is worst at developing qb's, then Cole should be able to go on to have the undoubtably greatest single season and probably hold all the record books by the time he is done. If somebody is able to beat out Kelley AND Morris is at least as good a coach as Bielema, then hold on to your seats because we are in for an awesome ride. Worst case, if Morris isn't as good a coach as Bielema, odds are he'll be gone the same time Kelley is in 3 years time.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Al Boarland

Hope SPRINGs eternal. It is the way of the fan.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 15, 2018, 08:54:05 am
Love Spring Ball !

All of us optimistic fans are jumping around and very happy because we have a new staff and we are undefeated. Lol. This is fun.  Right now we have the thought that we will beat Bama and Gus.

okrazorback

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 10, 2018, 05:06:04 pm
In the running game Chase Hayden and Maleek Williams combined for 16 carries and a 141 yards, that's right at nine yards per rush. Williams also scored a touchdown. T.J. Hammonds had only 16 yards on eight carries but scored twice.

That is good. Now all we have to do is take all the other teams off our schedule and just play against ourselves in Practise games