Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4 Possible DC candidates

Started by lakecityhog, December 13, 2017, 06:42:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lakecityhog

Name                  Current School         Conf.            Age        Total D    D Efficiency        Availability
John Chavis                Texas A&M             SEC              61           59             41                 Unemployed           
Alex Grinch            Washington State       Pac 12           35?          13              7                    Employed
Mark D'Onofrio             Houston               AAC               48           56             23                   Employed
Pete Golding           UT San Antonio          C-USA            34?           2              55                   Employed

These are the 4 guys that I think we could possibly be looking at for our DC job. I would think that any of them would jump at our position. I had to guess on the age of a couple of them, not much info as to personal bio available.
The defensive stats are from ESPN.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics

Of the four guys my choice would easily be D'Onofrio from Houston. His background is really good, he has coordinated defense at the highest level. He has connections in the Houston area AND the South Florida area so he could boost recruiting. I really like his RZ defense, dead on 50% TD's per RZ penetration. His rush D is pretty darned good, but that may be in part due to the AAC offenses.

Morris knows him from playing against him so that is a +.

Corkscrew Johnson

Lol we need a new forum:  Official Defensive Coordinator Coaching Search Forum

RazorPiggie

Hogindasticks

Mark Chavis off...he would already be here.

The real Hogules

December 13, 2017, 06:51:46 pm #4 Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 07:01:54 pm by The real Hogules
Assuming that their coaching abilities are similar, I'd take whichever coach that is considered the best recruiter. I'd hope that Chavis wouldn't be the DC hire, though.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

HoggyCat

Meh.  Why was D'Onofrio unemployed in '16? There's a gap in his history.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Bash

Quote from: lakecityhog on December 13, 2017, 06:42:47 pm
Mark D'Onofrio             Houston               AAC               48           56             23                   Employed

Already nixed by the AD and BOT.  Too hard to spell and pronounce his name.
The past was erased, the erasure was forgotten, the lie became truth.

nightrider388

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Hogindasticks on December 13, 2017, 06:46:30 pm
Mark Chavis off...he would already be here.

This is extremely flawed logic

PorkSoda

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

WBOBO

Flawed logic on Hogville?  That's blasphemy. 
Oh wait...
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

Hawginj

You can Golding off sounds like he might be heading to Bama

Pudgepork

Quote from: Hawginj on December 13, 2017, 07:07:28 pm
You can Golding off sounds like he might be heading to Bama

Why the heck would he choose Bama over Hogs.       Sarcasm

Hawginj

Quote from: Pudgepork on December 13, 2017, 07:10:38 pm

I know right makes no sense.

WBOBO

I think he has a man crush on little Napoleon.

PorkSoda

Quote from: WBOBO on December 13, 2017, 07:15:29 pm
I think he has a man crush on little Napoleon.
isn't that redundant?
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

26.2Hog

lakecityhog

Quote from: HoggyCat on December 13, 2017, 06:53:21 pm
Meh.  Why was D'Onofrio unemployed in '16? There's a gap in his history.

When Al Golden was fired by Miami mid-season D'onofrio stayed on thru the bowl game and was let go right after that. Pretty late in the year to find a job, but had the Houston job for the 2017 season.
The Houston bowl game is Christmas Eve so he would be available about the same time as Grinch.

a0ashle

I think the "we'll wait until new DCs Bowl game is over" is a red herring for any candidate not in the playoffs. It's never been a big deal to hire before run of the mill bowl games, shoot we got our entire offensive staff before bowl game.

BoarnSupremacy

Name                  Current School         Conf.            Age        Total D    D Efficiency        Availability
John Chavis                Texas A&M             SEC              61           59             41                 Unemployed           
Alex Grinch            Washington State       Pac 12           35?          13              7                    Employed
Pete Golding           UT San Antonio          C-USA            34?           2              55                   Employed

These are the 4 guys that I think we could possibly be looking at for our DC job. I would think that any of them would jump at our position. I had to guess on the age of a couple of them, not much info as to personal bio available.

I say Grinch.  Pretty clear by the numbers with him in Pullman

Of the four guys my choice would easily be D'Onofrio from Houston. His background is really good, he has coordinated defense at the highest level. He has connections in the Houston area AND the South Florida area so he could boost recruiting. I really like his RZ defense, dead on 50% TD's per RZ penetration. His rush D is pretty darned good, but that may be in part due to the AAC offenses.

PorkSoda

Quote from: a0ashle on December 13, 2017, 07:44:18 pm
I think the "we'll wait until new DCs Bowl game is over" is a red herring for any candidate not in the playoffs. It's never been a big deal to hire before run of the mill bowl games, shoot we got our entire offensive staff before bowl game.

maybe maybe not, but some are acting like its march and we still dont have a DC

Großer Kriegschwein

This is my non-signature signature.

BoarnSupremacy

Grinch.  7th Def Efficiency in Pullman Washington

JONAS

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on December 13, 2017, 06:44:57 pm

Yes.

WBOBO

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 13, 2017, 07:16:41 pm
isn't that redundant?
My wife says I'm redundant when I speak so yes you are
probably correct.

a0ashle

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 13, 2017, 07:47:07 pm
maybe maybe not, but some are acting like its march and we still dont have a DC

I understand and think that's ridiculous too. I'm just saying it's highly unlikely the wait has anything to do bowl games, as it's unlikely we pull a playoff team DC and it's unlikely we'd have to wait for someone because of the other bowls.

Bash

Quote from: WBOBO on December 13, 2017, 07:52:40 pm
My wife says I'm redundant when I speak

She says you are redundant when you speak?  She says you say the same things when you speak?  She says you say the same things over and over again when you speak? She says you repeat yourself when you speak? 

The past was erased, the erasure was forgotten, the lie became truth.

lakecityhog

With the HC, Lunney, Fry(OL) and the recruiting coordinator out visiting daily we are not in dire need of naming a DC right now. Maybe our target has let Morris know that he would like to finish the job before moving on???

Morris knows exactly the type of player that he wants on defense and my guess is that he is a pretty good closer. We do need him to be in place as soon after the early signing period to try and finish out the class.

nwahogs

Quote from: lakecityhog on December 13, 2017, 09:29:45 pm
With the HC, Lunney, Fry(OL) and the recruiting coordinator out visiting daily we are not in dire need of naming a DC right now. Maybe our target has let Morris know that he would like to finish the job before moving on???

Morris knows exactly the type of player that he wants on defense and my guess is that he is a pretty good closer. We do need him to be in place as soon after the early signing period to try and finish out the class.

It's pretty dire if you want defensive recruits

Paul

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on December 13, 2017, 06:44:57 pm
save it. Just ask Jerrah

nwahogfan1

Some have said that Grinch has been offered the job.  I am curious if that is true.  I figure Coach would want to interview them all before offering but maybe not.

East Clintwood

Alphabetical order.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Sow Lancelot

Quote from: Bash on December 13, 2017, 06:58:17 pm
Bummer. Given HVs spelling acumen, he would have been the perfect choice for a lifetime of creative mis-spellings.
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Bash on December 13, 2017, 06:58:17 pm

D'Onofrio....that could almost work into something involving Frito Pie....
....D'Oh-no-frito.

Imagine how bad HV, not to mention Eddie in Clarksville, would butcher it up.😀
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

GuvHog

Quote from: thebigshot on December 14, 2017, 06:57:47 am
BRING BACK REGGIE HERRIN. HE WAS GREAT UNDER HOUSTON NUTT !!!

Nutt's best DC at Arkansas was Keith Burns.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

DeltaBoy

Grinch or Gene cause I believe Gene is really hungry to rehab his rep.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

stlouiesooie

Stingy with "Grinch" or "Law & Order"with "D'Onofrio"

Uncle Remus

There is a positive if we go for Grinch.  Starting each year in November, the networks are sure to have some sort of dopey references and animations for each telecast ready to go.  Heck, they may even fade in to commercials after a defensive stand with the classic..."You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch".  We could only hope for such positive attention on a national stage :-\

babo1

Quote from: Uncle Remus on December 14, 2017, 08:44:31 am
There is a positive if we go for Grinch.  Starting each year in November, the networks are sure to have some sort of dopey references and animations for each telecast ready to go.  Heck, they may even fade in to commercials after a defensive stand with the classic..."You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch".  We could only hope for such positive attention on a national stage :-\
[/                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

This]