Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sounds like it's Chavis?

Started by ricepig, December 11, 2017, 01:26:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AFWarrior83

If it is Chavis, no doubt he'd be the best DC we've hired in a looooong time...maybe ever in terms of cred and rep, but how much is he worth? I imagine we're gonna pay between 1.5-2 mil per year for a big time DC. Is he worth that?
Hogville member since 2005.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on December 11, 2017, 02:11:21 pm
Do you see how it's directly tied to time of possession?  If you give an offense more time with the ball, they are going to gain more yards.  It's just a fact.

That's definately true.

The NewEra

I'm content to sit back and let CCM run the show.  If it's Chavis then fine with me.  I remember his defenses giving us fits at both LSU and aTm.  He knows how to bring pressure and be unpredictable. 

iHog

2012 Chik-Fil-A Peach Bowl. LSU beat Clemson 25-24, apparently then-OC Chad Morris left the game extremely impressed with how Chavis defended his offense. We should trust his judgment if we believe him to be the offensive wiz that he is.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: King Kong on December 11, 2017, 02:10:31 pm
They did. But it's not a situation where I believe Chavis is incapacitate of putting a GP together to stop people in a spread. I question that with some of our previous DC.

Maybe.  But it would be unlike anywhere he has tried it.  LSU was like Bama in that they selected as much as recruited and filled their defense with length, speed and athleticism which cut down on the space spread teams could attack.  Maybe Chavis could figure out something at Arkansas. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

jgphillips3

Chavis would be a big name hire.  He's certainly experienced.  I think he's past his prime but we could do a lot worse.

Hogtrillian

You people are foolish for not wanting Chavis.

He's easily a top 5 coordinator, and has been defending against the SEC west for years. Is he the best possible hire? Probably not, but do you people seriously expect Venables to come here? This is a definite upgrade and we'll have a much much better defense than we've previously had.

You can't have your cake and eat it too people.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Wildhog on December 11, 2017, 01:31:28 pm
Also, Chavis is notorious for HATING to recruit.
we dont need him to recruit. Recruiting will be a team effort.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: hogcards on December 11, 2017, 02:10:45 pm
He's not.

Stop worrying about it.
I'm not worrying about it either way.

steveaustin69

Quote from: SemperHawg on December 11, 2017, 02:04:45 pm
Cheif at Tenner and Boom when he was with Aubbie were really the only two D Cords that ever shut down DMAC and Felix.  I know most here will think that doesn't matter because Nutt was a moron and they had talent... But that duo made a lot of other really talented defenses look helpless even with the moron coaching them.

McFadden career versus TN: 2 Games, 52 carries for 298 yards (5.7YPC) with 2 TDs, 4 catches for 23 yards, 1-2 passing for twelve yards and a TD

On what planet does that stat line qualify as shutting someone down?

Wildhog

Quote from: jgphillips3 on December 11, 2017, 02:15:25 pm
Chavis would be a big name hire.  He's certainly experienced.  I think he's past his prime but we could do a lot worse.

Yeah, he'd be a "name" hire.  Would get us some exposure, at least.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

hogcards

Quote from: iHog on December 11, 2017, 02:13:49 pm
2012 Chik-Fil-A Peach Bowl. LSU beat Clemson 25-24, apparently then-OC Chad Morris left the game extremely impressed with how Chavis defended his offense. We should trust his judgment if we believe him to be the offensive wiz that he is.

Is Jim Donnan not available?   ;)
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: iHog on December 11, 2017, 02:13:49 pm

The 2012 LSU defense had these 2013 NFL Draftees:

R1 Pick 6 DE Mingo
R1 Pick 18 S Reid
R2 LB Minter
R3 CB Honey Badger
R3 DT Logan
R3 DE Montgomery
R5 DE Edwards
R5 CB Simon

I could see how an OC would be impressed. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

SemperHawg

Quote from: steveaustin69 on December 11, 2017, 02:16:10 pm
McFadden career versus TN: 2 Games, 52 carries for 298 yards (5.7YPC) with 2 TDs, 4 catches for 23 yards, 1-2 passing for twelve yards and a TD

yeah, I spaced on the Gameday night game here where DMAC torched them... I thought the next year that was Hootie's last where they kept him under or at 100 with no TD's

HoggyCat

Quote from: HF#1 on December 11, 2017, 01:41:42 pm
Name an available DC with better creds than Chavis in this league... You won't.

Who says they gotta be available??  Gus wasn't available and they opened the vault to try to get him.......
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Hogindasticks

Quote from: The NewEra on December 11, 2017, 02:13:18 pm
I'm content to sit back and let CCM run the show.  If it's Chavis then fine with me.  I remember his defenses giving us fits at both LSU and aTm.  He knows how to bring pressure and be unpredictable.

Problem is...that's not what he promised his team.

bphi11ips

Chavis is
Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 11, 2017, 02:15:11 pm
Maybe.  But it would be unlike anywhere he has tried it.  LSU was like Bama in that they selected as much as recruited and filled their defense with length, speed and athleticism which cut down on the space spread teams could attack.  Maybe Chavis could figure out something at Arkansas. 

If he can't not sure anyone could. Chavis has coordinated some of the best defenses in the SEC since 1995.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

DeltaBoy

We could do way worse than Chavis.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

greenie

After making a fool of myself when CCM was hired, I'm going to let things settle a bit before trying to shove yet another foot in my mouth.

Jackson_64

Quote from: TDHawgs on December 11, 2017, 01:49:50 pm
You guys gotta be kidding me?  Chavis is miles ahead of what we have endured the last couple of years. 

He's the #3 rated DC in College Football according to this.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2649110-10-best-defensive-coordinators-in-college-football

I'm still doubting he will come here, but if he does, I'll definitely be excited about it!!

I wouldn't rely on Bleacher Report for very much. That being said, Chavis IS a top DC. This would be a huge get to complement our offense. All the "I'm not excited" and other negative comments on here just further shows how dumb our fan base is. Good post by the way. Go Hogs and bring on Chavis.
Lane Kiffin.

And it is way closer to happening then you think.

Way closer.

PRJ

kingofdequeen

steveaustin69

Quote from: SemperHawg on December 11, 2017, 02:22:04 pm
yeah, I spaced on the Gameday night game here where DMAC torched them... I thought the next year that was Hootie's last where they kept him under or at 100 with no TD's

Well. You thought wrong. I don't think two isolated games against a top 5 of all time SEC back should define if a DC is good or not, but maybe don't state things as facts when they aren't.

Wildhog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 11, 2017, 02:23:51 pm
We could do way worse than Chavis.

This is most definitely true.  Just hoping we don't throw some ridiculous contract at him.
1909/1964/1965/1977

jkstock04

We could do a lot worse than Chavis. Really, at the end of the day with this offense we are fixing to run I have small hopes for defense anyways. Realistic goal should look something like our 2010 defense...serviceable with a handful of playmakers.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 11, 2017, 02:23:33 pm
Chavis is
If he can't not sure anyone could. Chavis has coordinated some of the best defenses in the SEC since 1995.

He should have with the talent he has had. 

Wildhog

Quote from: jkstock04 on December 11, 2017, 02:26:05 pm
We could do a lot worse than Chavis. Really, at the end of the day with this offense we are fixing to run I have small hopes for defense anyways. Realistic goal should look something like our 2010 defense...serviceable with a handful of playmakers.

Yeah, I agree.
1909/1964/1965/1977

razorback24

King Kong

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 11, 2017, 02:15:11 pm

Listen I'm not expecting Chavis to bring LSU type defenses. But I think he can make us more competitive. Like a MSU has been with the exception of maybe 2 years ago when their defense was terrible

HF#1

Quote from: HoggyCat on December 11, 2017, 02:22:23 pm
Who says they gotta be available??  Gus wasn't available and they opened the vault to try to get him.......

Realistically available. I'm sure Morris made a call to Venables. A lot of times, Coordinators are harder to get than HC's because they have loyalty to who they currently work for.

Also, just because Schaap is claiming it, doesn't mean it is true.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

SemperHawg

yeah the 07 game is the one I am thinking of.

DMAC 21 carries for 108 with 0 TD's and a fumble lost
Felix 3 carries for 3 yards

Considering what that duo was doing on the regular I would say holding them to a combined 112 yards and no TDs is pretty well shutting them down.  Admittedly I did completely forget about the previous year when they smoke checked him in Fayetteville.

King Kong

South Carolina would have killed for these numbers in one game

HamGrowsOnTrees

Quote from: PorkRinds on December 11, 2017, 02:09:46 pm
Leach's defense at Washington State has been putting up impressive numbers.
12th in sacks in the country
7th in fumbles recovered
gave up 25 points per game.

Chavis might be able to pull this off at arkansas. But dont expect a shutdown lockdown defense on a spread hurry up team ever. Because it simply has never happened. Even on the pro level.

steveaustin69

Oklahawg

He becomes the sage coach that we surround with hungry, younger guys who'll burn the candle at both ends both on the recruiting trail and in the film room. Chavis gets to shape the staff 100% and does it with guys who are trying to build a resume. Can't see this as bad.

Surround Chavis with a bunch of older retreads who are not happy on the in-home visit buffet trail...that's a different story, but it'd be that way for any DC we are targeting.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

BBHog

Let's hope he can bring his DL coach, Terry Price with him.  Been coaching in Texas for a long time, great recruiter, and A&M seems to have had a pretty salty DL for the past few years.

tennhogfan

Is it possible that the "Chief" is Knile Davis as RB coach?

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

bphi11ips

Quote from: Hogindasticks on December 11, 2017, 02:22:31 pm
Problem is...that's not what he promised his team.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2649110-10-best-defensive-coordinators-in-college-football

Someone said don't trust Bleacher Report.  David Kenyon was the author.  Young guy but working in the sports journalism world.  His list is about as good as anyone else's. 

Foster is one and Venables is two on Kenyon's list.  Neither one of those guys is available  Chavis is next.

ESPN and Finebaum will sit up and take notice if Arkansas hires Chavis.  Those boys in Fayetteville are getting serious. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

HoggyCat

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 11, 2017, 01:59:28 pm
Recruiting classes Chavis had to work with:

2000 Tenn #1
2001 Tenn #4
2002 Tenn #3
2003 Tenn #10
2004 Tenn #11
2005 Tenn #4
2006 Tenn #29 - 17 signees
2007 Tenn #4
2008 Tenn #33 - 18 signees
2009 LSU #1  - LSU was 8, 5 and 13 for the 3 classes before this. 
2010 LSU #9
2011 LSU #8
2012 LSU #13
2013 LSU #6
2014 LSU #2

Exactly. And with A&M this year...... Not in top 50 in scoring defense or total defense and tied for 39th in turnover margin. 30th in 3rd down defense.

With all the talent they have. What's he gonna do with the ThreeStarBrigade??
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Piggfoot

Chavis may be good but we have two teams we're probably not going to beat that will run an offense he is known to defend well. Alabama and LSU. We need a modern updated DC that at least has a personality. Chavis always looks like he's ready to bite someones head off. The game may have  passed him by.
I know you guys think I'm crazy but we need an Asst DC that is young and knows the ins and outs of the RPO and Spread offenses.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

The NewEra

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 11, 2017, 02:33:01 pm
He becomes the sage coach that we surround with hungry, younger guys who'll burn the candle at both ends both on the recruiting trail and in the film room. Chavis gets to shape the staff 100% and does it with guys who are trying to build a resume. Can't see this as bad.

Surround Chavis with a bunch of older retreads who are not happy on the in-home visit buffet trail...that's a different story, but it'd be that way for any DC we are targeting.

Regardless of whether it's Chavis or not I think you've laid out the game plan.  This seems to be Morris MO.  I wouldn't be surprised to see some big name Texas High School coaches brought in to the new DC's staff. 

PorkRinds

Quote from: Piggfoot on December 11, 2017, 02:37:08 pm
Chavis may be good but we have two teams we're probably not going to beat that will run an offense he is known to defend well. Alabama and LSU. We need a modern updated DC that at least has a personality. Chavis always looks like he's ready to bite someones head off. The game has passed him by.

He did shut down aTm and Johnny Football when no one else could.

Spektre

No reason to delay the announcement or hire if it is... they have a new coach and the Bell Bowl doesn't scream "wait until after." Doesn't make sense. Wouldn't be against it, but the only reason to delay an announcement is if the team the DC is leaving doesn't necessarily know it is a good possibility.

HF#1

Quote from: Piggfoot on December 11, 2017, 02:37:08 pm
Chavis may be good but we have two teams we're probably not going to beat that will run an offense he is known to defend well. Alabama and LSU. We need a modern updated DC that at least has a personality. Chavis always looks like he's ready to bite someones head off. The game has passed him by.

I find it incredibly funny when people say "The game has passed him by". It's football, not rocket science. Does it change? Yes. Does it change enough to pass someone by? No. At the end of the day, it's blocking and tackling.

John Chavis knows more about football than any of the 30,000 mouth breathers with Hogville accounts.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Wildhog

Quote from: The NewEra on December 11, 2017, 02:37:52 pm
Regardless of whether it's Chavis or not I think you've laid out the game plan.  This seems to be Morris MO.  I wouldn't be surprised to see some big name Texas High School coaches brought in to the new DC's staff. 

We really need to get a Louisiana recruiter or two on staff, as well. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

Peter Porker

Quote from: FiveIronFrenzy on December 11, 2017, 01:55:16 pm
What's strange to me is his last three years at LSU he had top 15 defenses, then at A&M he was 50-100 range for three years.  It's not like he suddenly forgot how to coach - I wonder if the talent just wasn't there, or they misevaluated some recruits, or the defense didn't mesh with the offensive style.

Or he no longer has a ball-control offense keeping his defense off the field.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: HF#1 on December 11, 2017, 01:32:35 pm
Keep in mind that Chavis had a team full of loafs at A&M. Hard to work with guys that only want to play hard every now and then. I think he is long in the tooth but I still think he has some merit.

That aTm defense got very much more physical between 16 and 17... Go watch some film...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

davril98

Hog Waller

Makes no sense. If it is Chavis, why hasn't he been announced already?

greenie

Quote from: davril98 on December 11, 2017, 02:40:24 pm
Maybe it's Robert Parrish

Nice.
That dude played so great defense, too.