Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MSU and LSU thoughts

Started by Hawgon, November 14, 2005, 09:48:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

nutt has not had time to coach casey like he has rojo. put in ear plugs casey!
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

GrizzledHogFan

November 14, 2005, 01:56:43 pm #51 Last Edit: November 14, 2005, 02:14:21 pm by gmb_79
I'd say this game is as close to a sure SEC win as you can get.  Here's Nutt's record vs. Miss St.:

1998:
at Miss. St. - L

1999:
in Little Rock vs. #12 Miss. St. - W

2000:
at #13 Miss. St. - W

2001:
in Fayetteville vs. Miss. St. - W

2002:
at Miss. St. - W

2003:

2004:
at Miss. St. - W
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

msudawgs64

Quote from: gmb_79 on November 14, 2005, 01:56:43 pm
I'd say this game is as close to a sure SEC win as you can get. Here's Nutt's record vs. Miss St.:

1998:
at #9 Miss. St. - L

1999:

2000:
at #13 Miss. St. - W

2001:

2002:
at Miss. St. - W

2003:

2004:
at Miss. St. - W

I'll take it a step further to see just how much of a "sure" win it is..

1998: MSU, 22-21 . . . . .at Starkville
1999: UA, 14-9 . . . . . . .at Little Rock, Ark.
2000: UA, 17-10 . . . . . .at Starkville
2001: UA, 24-21 . . . . . .at Fayetteville
2002: UA, 26-19 . . . . . .at Starkville
2003: UA, 52-6 . . . . . . .at Fayetteville
2004: UA, 24-21 . . . . . .at Starkville

Only 2003 was a "sure" win and never in doubt from the start to finish..
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

"I'd rather lose a game like that than a 5-4 ballgame when somebody walks in the winning run or makes an error" -MSU's former head coach Ron Polk after South Carolina pummeled the Bulldogs 20-3 on 3/23/2007.

Feb. 20, 2009-a new era in MSU Baseball begins.

Tammany Tom

Quote from: Theolesnort on November 14, 2005, 01:03:26 pm
Tom some of these people have got the wrong idea about Les Miles. Sure almost any coach pales to Nick and while it is true that Les may not be the most cerebral coach around he is smart enough to hire a top notch staff ( something I will not accuse Nutt of by the way) and he is fundamentally sound. LSU is in fine hands with Miles but if LSU does not take ARK seriously then they might be in trouble if Dick continues to progress. By serious I am talking about the players. I do expect the players though to listen to the coaches and be ready but it could be another good game with LSU winning.

A lot of us LSU fans weren't sold on Miles in the beginning either. When you get used to Nick Saban and his way of coaching, it takes a while to adjust to a new, different coach. When we lost to Tennessee, a lot of us LSU fans went off on Miles and particularly Pelini. However, after cooling off and looking at from a different perspective, most of us realized that as much as the hurricane changed our lives, it really affected the team and the way they could prepare for those early season games. We have won several very, very close games this year and good, sound coaching is the difference in winning and losing those games. The coaching staff did a remarkable job in keeping the team together during the month of September. Pelini has done an outstanding job with our defense and changed his philosophy of zone coverages after the Tennessee game going to more man-to-man.

I and most LSU fans take every SEC game very seriously. Ole Miss always plays us tough. Even when they are bad, they play us down to the wire. I am positive that they will come to play this Saturday night and make us earn a victory. You guys haven't been on TV much this year, but I did get to see the Georgia and S. Carolina games. McFadden is the best running back in the SEC right now and we will have our hands full. Casey Dick didn't look very good against S. Carolina, but he did look better than your other QB. We know that you have played every SEC opponent very well and no one in the SEC has blown you out. We expect a very good game from Arkansas, but I honestly don't think your freshman QB will be able to handle the pressure that our defense will give him. Our defensive line is the best in the SEC and with our blitz packages, I just think it will be way too much for a young, freshman QB to handle. I think McFadden will get his yardage, 100+, but it won't be enough to win the game against us. I expect a good, hard fought game that is close until the 4th qtr, where our depth takes over and we win by 10 to 14 points.

Bogustus

I'd say this game is as close to a sure SEC win as you can get. Here's Nutt's record vs. Miss St.:

1998:
at #9 Miss. St. - L

1999:

2000:
at #13 Miss. St. - W

2001:

2002:
at Miss. St. - W

2003:

2004:
at Miss. St. - W

The sad part of your post is that Miss St was the ranked team in 3 of those 7 games.

sooie dog

Quote from: Tomcat on November 14, 2005, 02:02:32 pm
I bet the Dawgs have been chomping at the bit to play us so they can win one in the SEC.  We are still bottom dwellers... >:(

Are only hope is that they are looking past us to OM.

msudawgs64

Quote from: Tomcat on November 14, 2005, 02:02:32 pm
I bet the Dawgs have been chomping at the bit to play us so they can win one in the SEC.  We are still bottom dwellers... >:(

well it is either the Hogs or Ole Miss, personally I like our chances against Ole Miss better.
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

"I'd rather lose a game like that than a 5-4 ballgame when somebody walks in the winning run or makes an error" -MSU's former head coach Ron Polk after South Carolina pummeled the Bulldogs 20-3 on 3/23/2007.

brooks74

I hope your wrong, but it sounds pretty right on to me.  Our defense is improving, and if we can give them some breathers and have some good drives we will keep it close, which seems to be the goal of our offensive coaching staff against top teams.  Keep it close and don't do anything to lose the game, instead of what can we do to win the game.  So here's to a close game and "moral victory" for Arkansas.

Bomis Hawg

Arkansas rarely blows out MSU.  It will be a close game, like always.  I see Arkansas hanging on to a slim lead early, then extending it late in the game and rushing out the clock late.

14-7 at halftime, then getting up 28-14 then rushing out the clock with McFadden, Hillis, and Jones.

Bomis Hawg

Quote from: Bogart on November 14, 2005, 02:03:26 pm

1998:
at #9 Miss. St. - L

1999:

2000:
at #13 Miss. St. - W

2001:

2002:
at Miss. St. - W

2003:

2004:
at Miss. St. - W

The sad part of your post is that Miss St was the ranked team in 3 of those 7 games.

MSU was not ranked in 1998, Arkansas was.  Arkansas was 22 in 99, and MSU was 12.  MSU was 13 in 200 while Arkansas was unranked.  Neither was ranked afterwards.

2 for Arkansas; 2 for MSU.

Arkansas and MSU is always close, but Arkansas has found ways to win.  That's just the simple nature of this history.

HOG71

Quote from: Net Hog on November 14, 2005, 12:24:15 pm
Nutt didn't play Dick earlier b/c Frank didn't order him to until the SC game.

This is one of my favorites

BushHawg

All I want is a little objectivity.   If all that bs about good teams and bad fans is true then why can I admit that LSU outplayed us the night of the Miracle on Markham but we had something go our way and we won?  Why with LSU fans is it always a good play and never a good break?

You blocked two kicks and returned them for touchdowns against Az St.  You were completely out of the game before that and then you were back in it.  Was that because LSU puts extra emphasis on blocking kicks?  Have you done that again in a game since? 

There will always be missed catches in a game, there will always be holds that weren't called.  All I'm saying is that LSU has been very fortunate this year.  Not that that's even a bad thing, you've got to have some of that to have a successful season.  Look at NASCAR, you have to be downright lucky to win a championship.  I just want to know why I can't seem to find an LSU fan who can take of the purple lenses, get Hawthorne out of their head and admit that.
"I love cats...I just can't eat a whole one"

corndo

No sure wins this year, but you have to like our chances.

PulledPork

I predict a blow out!  By whom, who cares.....

Pulled out!

LSUFan

Quote from: BushHawg on November 14, 2005, 02:21:01 pm
All I want is a little objectivity. If all that bs about good teams and bad fans is true then why can I admit that LSU outplayed us the night of the Miracle on Markham but we had something go our way and we won? Why with LSU fans is it always a good play and never a good break?

You blocked two kicks and returned them for touchdowns against Az St. You were completely out of the game before that and then you were back in it. Was that because LSU puts extra emphasis on blocking kicks? Have you done that again in a game since?

There will always be missed catches in a game, there will always be holds that weren't called. All I'm saying is that LSU has been very fortunate this year. Not that that's even a bad thing, you've got to have some of that to have a successful season. Look at NASCAR, you have to be downright lucky to win a championship. I just want to know why I can't seem to find an LSU fan who can take of the purple lenses, get Hawthorne out of their head and admit that.

So let me get this straight,

Winning Season = Lucky

Bad Season = Bad Coach, replace his ass.

SultanofSwine

Dawg, you have to understand Nutt to know that one SEC win is infintely better than none. In nuttspeak that would be, to infinity and beyond!!!With our Play Caller and punt catcher we are unconstipatable. ;)

Tammany Tom

Quote from: BushHawg on November 14, 2005, 02:21:01 pm
All I want is a little objectivity. If all that bs about good teams and bad fans is true then why can I admit that LSU outplayed us the night of the Miracle on Markham but we had something go our way and we won? Why with LSU fans is it always a good play and never a good break?

You blocked two kicks and returned them for touchdowns against Az St. You were completely out of the game before that and then you were back in it. Was that because LSU puts extra emphasis on blocking kicks? Have you done that again in a game since?

There will always be missed catches in a game, there will always be holds that weren't called. All I'm saying is that LSU has been very fortunate this year. Not that that's even a bad thing, you've got to have some of that to have a successful season. Look at NASCAR, you have to be downright lucky to win a championship. I just want to know why I can't seem to find an LSU fan who can take of the purple lenses, get Hawthorne out of their head and admit that.

Competive sports is all about making plays. Teams that win have more play makers than teams that lose. Arkansas beat us in 2002, because of 3 plays. The first was your running back, can't remember his name, but he was a good one, made a great run in the 4th quarter to bring you back into the game, which you were clearly out of at the time. The second play was the pass from Matt Jones to the kid from Shreveport to put you in scoring position. Matt Jones sucked all day long against us, but when money time rolled around he was brilliant. His pass to Birmingham in the end zone was perfect. He made a great pass and Birmingham made a great catch and you won. It was a very, very difficult game for us to lose, because yes, we were the better team and we did outplay you for most of the game, but you made the "key" plays down the stretch to win and deserved the win.

You can think all you want about us getting great breaks against ASU to win. What about the huge break they got by us moving the game from Baton Rouge to Phoenix on the monday before the game. What about the other huge break they got by us not being able to play North Texas the week before making us miss a very needed game played before playing "then" a top 15 team. LSU made two great special teams plays in the 3rd quarter to put us back in the game. Our offense then woke up and played lights out for the rest of the game and JR made great reads and throws down the stretch to win the game for us. Again, "key" plays made by our special teams and offense won a very difficult game in very difficult situations. 

Biggus Piggus

If we could get some good, sloppy weather, we could hang with LSU.  The long-range forecast gives us a chance of rain.
[CENSORED]!

BushHawg

hmm, ok, I'll continue my search.
"I love cats...I just can't eat a whole one"

msudawgs64

Quote from: corndo on November 14, 2005, 02:23:32 pm
No sure wins this year, but you have to like our chances.

You really do have to like your chances.. At least Arkansas has a running attack and is improving, albeit at the end of the season, in the passing attack as well.  We are incapable of running Croom's pro style offense with our players we have and are just horrible offensively, only Norwood has done anything and with no pass or rush blocking he has had to do it pretty much on his own.

msudawgs64

Quote from: opineonswine on November 14, 2005, 02:33:30 pm
I was talking to a friend of mine from Miss State a minute ago. I think he had it pegged...he said we could try to make a team between us, Ole Miss and MSU and still not be able to beat anyone other than Kentucky or Vanderbilt.

LOL, how true but I am not sure our combined team could do that.  Hogs and Ole Miss lost to Vandy, we lost to UK..ugh..

JJHog

Quote from: BushHawg on November 14, 2005, 10:10:02 am
We may or may not get beat by MSU this weekend because you can't say "should win" with this Hog team. But looking ahead to LSU, any chance we beat them? At Tiger Stadium, BCS implications, West possibly on the line. Probably not but who knows.

I live down here so this game always affects me because pretty much everyone here is an LSU fan. Right now they're all talking about coulda, woulda, shoulda in their loss to Tennessee, but here are a few observations, not intended as flames:

- Arizona State outplayed LSU and coulda, woulda, shoulda beat them if that last crazy catch at the end was batted down.

- Auburn outplayed them and if their kicker makes 1 or 2 of 5 field goals they coulda, woulda, shoulda won that game.

- They talked all week about how Alabama had no offense but I knew it was going to be a defensive struggle. It was and came down to a crap shoot in OT. coulda, woulda, shoulda and Bama could have won that game.

In some ways you have to have the ball bounce your way a few times to have a successful season, but I just think they've had their fair share this year and it would be nice if it could happen for the Hogs once this season. Preferably day after Turkey day.

On paper we should get the crap beat out of us..but JaMarcus is inconsistent. THey'd have to give us some TD's via turnovers for us to have a prayer. LSU by 21 or more.

" Think Right, Do Right"

whatsshakinbacon

LSU better enjoy this year...  The decline under Miles has begun.

That said, with no coaches on the sideline I'm still convinced LSU could beat us.  They have some ungodly talent down there and unbelievable speed.

Bacon out...

corndo

No one is completely objective. The bottom line is LSU is 8-1 and the Hogs are 3-6. BTW, what was up with those two guys making out on national TV after the

big win vs. Alabama? I've never seen anything like that before! I know you should be excited after a game, but that's a little too much for me!  :D

Tammany Tom

Quote from: BushHawg on November 14, 2005, 02:37:22 pm
hmm, ok, I'll continue my search.

OK, here's your break: Corey Webster was in the wrong coverage (zone, when he was supposed to be in man) and let Richard Smith go by him, when he shouldn't have, allowing for him to be wide open putting you in scoring position.

We lost our game against Iowa in the Cap One Bowl last year because Ronnie Prude went into the wrong coverage (zone again), and let the Iowa WR go wide open for them to win the game.

I am an optomist and like to think that winners make their breaks and losers make the wrong decisions or wrong breaks to lose. Iowa made a great play to win and I will give them credit just as I will give your team credit in 2002 by making the plays (breaks, if that is what you want to call them) to win that game. 

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: tulsahog36 on November 14, 2005, 11:21:23 am
Casey Dick's passing makes me ask one thing: Why hasn't he been playing all year?

Why did Felix Jones and Darren McFadden only get one carry a piece against Vanderbilt?

It wasn't their decision not to play, just like it wasn't Casey Dick's.  Wonder whose decision that was?  Hmmmmmmm...
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

HighOnHogs

LSU will stomp Arkansas a new one.  That game will be ugly.

GrizzledHogFan

Quote from: Bomis Hawg on November 14, 2005, 02:11:37 pm
MSU was not ranked in 1998, Arkansas was.

My mistake.  It's corrected now.

Quote from: Bomis Hawg on November 14, 2005, 02:11:37 pm
Arkansas and MSU is always close, but Arkansas has found ways to win. That's just the simple nature of this history.

This is exactly my point.  Arkansas will win again.  I'm predicting Arkansas 24, MSU 7

Tammany Tom

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on November 14, 2005, 02:43:09 pm
LSU better enjoy this year... The decline under Miles has begun.

That said, with no coaches on the sideline I'm still convinced LSU could beat us. They have some ungodly talent down there and unbelievable speed.

Bacon out...

Have you been to rivals.com and checked out the national recruiting rankings lately? Since we are currently ranked number 3 and will end up the year with a Top 5 class, how has the decline begun? Last year with virtually no time to recruit Miles recruited an outstanding class that was 3rd behind only USC and Miami in average stars per player signed. We only had 16 schollies to give out therefore there was no way to be rated too high because we couldn't sign enough players. Miles is a very, very good recruiter and has shown that he is very good at putting together a very good coaching staff. LSU is set up to be very, very good for the foreseeable future.

JDW

If we keep momentum going our way the Hogs will beat MSU. They play us tough yes, but we have a momentumn swing going our way. Our running game is great and now our QB has shown some good improvement from playing SC. MSU don't have a strong offense or defense.

LSU will be a different story. They are a tough football team and we need to play them tough. We stayed in the game against several good teams this year. If they keep their heads, pass well and play smart hard football we may see an upset. Definatley a game of meat meeting the metal.

John

JDHogg

I don't know what to think.  Ole Miss just gave everyone a blueprint to stop our run game.  And I'm concerned about MSU being ready for a win.  LSU has this guy called uh.............Skyler Green..........who is much like the guys that Alabama has killed us with for years, like Freddie Milons, Prothro, and the like.  It's hard to grasp what will happen.  I can't help but think we might overlook MSU too much and wind up losing both of our last games.
"That's why you want something a little different", says Nutt entering his 9th season on the hill.
"You look at Florida last year," Nutt says.  "They struggled with their offense because of change...overhaul change.  Change is hard."

Quoted from August 2006 Hootens's Arkansas Football.

Beaverfever

Anyone know what the line is?  I see us handling msu...

GrizzledHogFan

WindyCityHog

Does it really matter?

Arkansas will beat MSU.....handily.

LSU will kick the ever livin' hell out of the Hogs.

Sorry MSUDawg.....as bad as the Hogs are, they are "infinitely" better than the Bulldogs.  Hogs have a long ways to go to be that bad (records aside).  That said, I'll be rooting heartily for MSU in the Egg Bowl.

LSU is a GOOD team.  Miles is no Saban.....but he's using Saban's recruits in this game.....as if it would matter.

JDW

Nothing is a sure thing but MSU is a half step up from a Sun Belt team. Hogs win this one.

John

FtheDarksiders

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on November 14, 2005, 02:47:47 pm
Quote from: tulsahog36 on November 14, 2005, 11:21:23 am
Casey Dick's passing makes me ask one thing: Why hasn't he been playing all year?

Why did Felix Jones and Darren McFadden only get one carry a piece against Vanderbilt?

It wasn't their decision not to play, just like it wasn't Casey Dick's. Wonder whose decision that was? Hmmmmmmm...

Casey Dick was not ready to play vs. Vandy.  He had not had time to learn the playbook and the speed of the game.  He has gotten better as the year has gone on....

If Nutt would have played him that game and he did horrible b/c he knew 1/4th of the playbook, you would have been on this board posting, "Why did Nutt pull this kid's redshirt.  He was a true freshman and not ready to play in the SEC."

This kid was not a "highly" recruited player out of high school.  Johnson was the right guy at the time for the Vandy game, up to that point he had done nothing that was bad enough to pull a redshirt off another kid.

GrizzledHogFan

It's my opinion that we don't have a snowball's chance in hell of beating LSU.

Nutt_Hate_Me

I'll go one better.  My love of the Hogs is equaled only by my disdain of the other Dogs due to a 10 year sentence I served at a gulag in Starkville.  For whatever reason MSU always plays us close.  Maybe in years they were favored they were looking ahead to the Egg Bowl, and when we were favored we were totally focused on the boot.

Since the conference series began in 1992, and excluding the 2003 blow out the games have been decided by an average of 5.3 points.

The average score of the games excluding the blowout is Arkansas 17.3 MSU 15.3.  9 of 11 games have been decided by a TD or less.  The other two games were decided by 10, once for each team.

What does all this mean?  Not Dudley Squat, except for the fact that we are coming off a very emotional victory where our coach now looks in the mirror and sees Steve Spurrier.  We had to win that game.

MSU is coming off a bye week where the previous week they suffered a loss to Kentucky.  In that game they did have some bright spots Henig threw for 200 yards in his first start, and Norwood and Thorton rushed for about 190 combined.  So they do have some positives to build on.  They want and need a win real bad.   

Also what you need to realize is living in Starkville their are very few distractions.  So they have been totally focused on us for the past two weeks.

I'm not saying MSU will win or should win.  If it's a tale of 2 halves again it could be real close and scary.

Ark 31  MSU 10, The people in the Rock are hungry for a home conference W, and a high octane attack,  Nutt shows more confidence in CD, and we neuter them with a truly balanced attack.

I just realized this is like one of those CFN predictions where they talk up the underdog and give reasons why it will be close, then basically predict a blow out.
It's great to be home.

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: Tammany Tom on November 14, 2005, 02:52:26 pm
Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on November 14, 2005, 02:43:09 pm
LSU better enjoy this year... The decline under Miles has begun.

That said, with no coaches on the sideline I'm still convinced LSU could beat us. They have some ungodly talent down there and unbelievable speed.

Bacon out...

Have you been to rivals.com and checked out the national recruiting rankings lately? Since we are currently ranked number 3 and will end up the year with a Top 5 class, how has the decline begun? Last year with virtually no time to recruit Miles recruited an outstanding class that was 3rd behind only USC and Miami in average stars per player signed. We only had 16 schollies to give out therefore there was no way to be rated too high because we couldn't sign enough players. Miles is a very, very good recruiter and has shown that he is very good at putting together a very good coaching staff. LSU is set up to be very, very good for the foreseeable future.

Our opinions are going to be different here.  You may be right, but I think Miles' weakness is x's and o's, and it will take some time for it to come out.  And very, very rarely do I put too much stock in recruiting grades, especially before signing date.  Miles reminds me of HDN. 

Bacon out...

msudawgs64

actually we are coming off a 17-0 loss to Alabama.

flash23

Quote from: Hawgon on November 14, 2005, 09:48:24 am
On the two toucdowns to Monk. One was thrown into double coverage and easily could have been an interception. Another, was very nearly intercepted and taken back for a touchdown. If either one of those balls had been thrown just a fraction differently, then that game would have been completely different.

Yeah, but...they weren't thrown a fraction diffrent? What exactly does that have to do with anything?
With Tired Eyes, Tired Minds, Tired Souls, We Slept.

msudawgs64

Quote from: WindyCityHog on November 14, 2005, 03:09:58 pm
Does it really matter?

Arkansas will beat MSU.....handily.

LSU will kick the ever livin' hell out of the Hogs.

Sorry MSUDawg.....as bad as the Hogs are, they are "infinitely" better than the Bulldogs. Hogs have a long ways to go to be that bad (records aside). That said, I'll be rooting heartily for MSU in the Egg Bowl.

LSU is a GOOD team. Miles is no Saban.....but he's using Saban's recruits in this game.....as if it would matter.

yeah, we stink pretty bad...The staff said the offense was not very good this year in the spring but the Murray State game fooled us when they looked sharp..after that it was all poop.  Got some players, Norwood and McNeil on the O-side, Willie Evans, Quinton Culbertson on the d-side but not enough depth or talent right now to work in Croom's stupid pro style offense, yet he is so headstrong on continuing to run it.  It is like trying to put a circle in a square, if you hit it enough times with a big ass hammer it may fit but the circle/square is useless at that point.  No matter, I am going to the game anyway, when I leave is entirely dependent on the first half, hell maybe the first quarter. LOL...

sowmonella

We will win big. Our freshmen and sophs are excited about winning again. Hogs by 24. :razorback:
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Bomis Hawg

If Arkansas is up 10-14 about mid-way through the 2nd quarter or halftime, then I'll go with a blowout.  I expect a game that is about 14-10 or so going into the half and Arkansas pulling out with a victory something like 28-17 or so. 

It could be like a couple of years ago.  Up big early then holding on for dear life.