Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SR-22 Emerg. Chute Deployment on Film

Started by arkmark, January 26, 2015, 07:30:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

arkmark

On the www.yahoo.com home page there is film of an SR-22 either out of fuel or having mechanical problems, both are cited in the story, deploying its chute 250 miles NE of Maui, Hawaii.  The film runs from the time of deployment to the splash down and catches the pilot exiting to a raft.

On the home page there are about 5 screen shots of news clips in a row on the page.  You can scroll forward and back if it has moved from the initial 5 stories to find it.  Watch for the photo of a plane releasing the chute to select it and view the entire clip and read the story.

The pilot was picked up by a cruise ship responding to a USCG request.  Pretty amazing.

Sorry, don't know how to lift the story and paste here.

Flying Razorback

I saw that on the news last night.  That was crazy.  I don't know how the pilot and aircraft ended up in the position to need to deploy the chute, but I'm very glad he made that call.  There was an analysis done on a bunch of crashes and there were many instances where the crash could have been survivable if the pilot had pulled the chute.  Unfortunately, too many people are reticent to do so and Cirrus and others were wanting to develop better training to make people realize they need to be using the chute.

Sucks to lose an airplane.  I'll always be happy to hear of the pilots, aircrew, passengers walking away.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

bvillepig

He was ferrying a new plane to Australia. One of the valves on the ferry tanks malfunctioned.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N7YT/history/20150125/1245Z/KTCY/PHOG