Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Flying Razorbacks No More?!

Started by 95_alum, November 16, 2012, 09:59:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

95_alum

November 16, 2012, 09:59:54 am Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 10:07:29 am by 95_alum
Looks like the Air Force may drop the hammer on the 188th. Slated to move the A-10's to Michigan & Indiana. Replacing them with drones. Senator Pryor isn't getting any communication from the Steering committee or the Air Force on the matter.

http://www.4029tv.com/news/arkansas/river-valley/188th-Base-may-move-to-unmanned-drones-lose-A-10-aicraft/-/14498626/17406710/-/r0a7oo/-/index.html

My fondest memory of the 188th was when I was deer hunting a year or two ago. 3 or 4 A-10's from the 188th came in low from the south to practice the timing for a fly-over at Razorback stadium. They looked like Great White sharks ready to kill anything in their path. Made my hair stand up. I just watched in awe as they practiced their runs.

This is sad.

http://www.allavservices.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/20120222-101801.jpg

FaytownHog

I wonder if we could get a drone fly over for a game next year?

Flying Razorback

I hope they can get the RPA mission, it'll be a better fit.  They pulled some pretty shady behind the curtain deals to get the A-10s a few years ago so everyone in the area knew it was just a matter of time before they flew out again.  It was a band aid fix.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

MDH

I hope they do get the drones.  I'll miss the A-10s, loved watching them take off/land out the hangar door.  One of my favorite aircraft.  But if they are going to go away, I hope there will be something to take their place- if for nothing else than the local economy.  Fort Smith has lost some businesses over the past couple of years, we don't need to lose the base too, provided it can do something substantial and useful.
"Too many people have for too long placed too much confidence and trust in government and not enough in themselves.  Fortunately, many are now becoming aware of the seriousness of the gross mistakes of the past several decades.  The blame is shared by both political parties.  Many Americans now are demanding to hear the plain truth of things and want the demagoguing to stop.  Without this first step, solutions are impossible."  Ron Paul

Flying Razorback

The RPA mission is good for the national guard.  Unfortunately during the last BRAC they fought to get the A-10 which was already on the chopping block.  With how many they're trying to retire it wasn't a good long term plan.  If they can get GCS's for the RPAs then it will be a more viable long term mission with a much smaller footprint.  They won't need an entire maintenance group and its support without aircraft on the ramp.

MDH

Well I hope they do.

On another note, I'm curious about the retirement of the A-10's.  What is replacing it in it's role?
"Too many people have for too long placed too much confidence and trust in government and not enough in themselves.  Fortunately, many are now becoming aware of the seriousness of the gross mistakes of the past several decades.  The blame is shared by both political parties.  Many Americans now are demanding to hear the plain truth of things and want the demagoguing to stop.  Without this first step, solutions are impossible."  Ron Paul

Flying Razorback

Quote from: MDH on November 16, 2012, 08:26:44 pm
Well I hope they do.

On another note, I'm curious about the retirement of the A-10's.  What is replacing it in it's role?

The F-35.  The biggest thing is they don't believe there's as much of a role for the A-10 since we don't have to worry about the Russian horde shooting through the Fulda Gap anymore.

MDH

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on November 16, 2012, 08:33:33 pm
The F-35.  The biggest thing is they don't believe there's as much of a role for the A-10 since we don't have to worry about the Russian horde shooting through the Fulda Gap anymore.

That is true, but I'm just a bit nostalgic.  I fell in love with that plane when I was much younger.  I was bush hogging on top of the hill in front of the house I grew up in east of Mena.  The war games were going on at the time.  Anyway, I caught sight of something on my periphery and lo and behold I was staring down the nose of an A-10.  What a sight.

Oh well, everyone and everything gets old and put out to pasture sooner or later.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: MDH on November 16, 2012, 08:43:53 pm
That is true, but I'm just a bit nostalgic.  I fell in love with that plane when I was much younger.  I was bush hogging on top of the hill in front of the house I grew up in east of Mena.  The war games were going on at the time.  Anyway, I caught sight of something on my periphery and lo and behold I was staring down the nose of an A-10.  What a sight.

Oh well, everyone and everything gets old and put out to pasture sooner or later.

It's a neat plane, and a lot cheaper than the F-35.  We don't need a stealth replacement for an anti-armor, anti-vehicle, CAS aircraft.  This is part of our problem right now.  The A-10 could still be serviceable.  If they want to replace it, the F-35 shouldn't be what they do it with.

I think the entire F-35 program should be cancelled.

MDH

I appreciate the view from the inside.  I've heard that same sentiment, but generally from people on the exterior.

Given the projected cost of a single F35, I'd think you could keep those A-10's up and running for a long ass time.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: MDH on November 16, 2012, 08:59:03 pm
I appreciate the view from the inside.  I've heard that same sentiment, but generally from people on the exterior.

Given the projected cost of a single F35, I'd think you could keep those A-10's up and running for a long ass time.

Aircraft that operate in the low level environment like the A-10, the Herk, and the helos use up their life span a lot quicker than those in the high altitude regime.  The A-10 structural will/has worn out faster than their engines, guns, and systems.  The A-10 would need to come off the line again, or a viable replacement that offers similar roles and capabilities needs to be generated.  You cannot combine the F-15E, F-16, and A-10 in to one multi-role fighter because all 3 provide completely different skill sets.  However, that's the way Lockheed could get the biggest possible contract, so that's why it's drawn up that way.  Why get paid $200 billion to replace one aircraft when you can be paid $1 trillion+ to replace 3 aircraft and most of the fighter inventory in the Air Force, Marines, and Navy?

We're lucky they got it right with the Herk as it started to fall apart, they got us the C-130J.  A completely different aircraft but provides similar capabilities and skill sets.

gotyacovered

i have told this before, so those that have seen it, sorry.

i was deer hunting in the ouachitas and hear and a-10... look up and see him, he is low scooting thru a valley, and before i new it one came over the top of the ridge and right over my... shook my tree. think they were practicing a flanking run or something. when he banked i could easily make out the person inside and see the lower part of his face. it was awesome.
You are what you tolerate.

MDH

Quote from: gotyacovered on November 19, 2012, 08:31:20 am
i have told this before, so those that have seen it, sorry.

i was deer hunting in the ouachitas and hear and a-10... look up and see him, he is low scooting thru a valley, and before i new it one came over the top of the ridge and right over my... shook my tree. think they were practicing a flanking run or something. when he banked i could easily make out the person inside and see the lower part of his face. it was awesome.

Yeah that's how it was for me, more than once now.  I believe they call it nap of the earth.  It is cool to witness from the ground.

MDH

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on November 16, 2012, 09:07:22 pm
Aircraft that operate in the low level environment like the A-10, the Herk, and the helos use up their life span a lot quicker than those in the high altitude regime.  The A-10 structural will/has worn out faster than their engines, guns, and systems.  The A-10 would need to come off the line again, or a viable replacement that offers similar roles and capabilities needs to be generated.  You cannot combine the F-15E, F-16, and A-10 in to one multi-role fighter because all 3 provide completely different skill sets.  However, that's the way Lockheed could get the biggest possible contract, so that's why it's drawn up that way.  Why get paid $200 billion to replace one aircraft when you can be paid $1 trillion+ to replace 3 aircraft and most of the fighter inventory in the Air Force, Marines, and Navy?

We're lucky they got it right with the Herk as it started to fall apart, they got us the C-130J.  A completely different aircraft but provides similar capabilities and skill sets.

Related to this, I came across this NY Times Article today.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: MDH on December 12, 2012, 11:21:40 am
Related to this, I came across this NY Times Article today.

Great article.  I really think that the program needs to be re-analyzed and shut down/reduced to bare minimum.  The F-35 grew out of the enthusiasm after the first Gulf War when the Cold War was over and we were going to be the only big kid on the block.

We missed our moment of opportunity on the jet and it's time to cash in and walk away.  It is not living up to promises and has become a drag on our nation and security readiness.