Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Flying hints for trip to Ole Miss and Auburn

Started by aggie pilot, September 11, 2012, 06:55:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

aggie pilot

Going to both Ole Miss and Auburn.  I see that neither airport has a control tower.  What is game day like at these airports?  Is it better to fly to outlier and drive?  Thanks for the help.

gotyacovered

September 11, 2012, 07:09:49 am #1 Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 08:18:11 am by gotyacovered
Some info on Auburn here: http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=492266.0

Looks like nothing to it but the slot arrivals.

I tried to get that thread going for all 2012 games so feel free to post in there. I've heard Ole Miss is no biggie, but I don't have experience at either place. We still haven't decided of we are going to auburn yet.
You are what you tolerate.

gotyacovered

Quote from: aggie pilot on September 11, 2012, 06:55:36 amIs it better to fly to outlier and drive?  Thanks for the help.

meant to add this, from my very limited experience, it is better to fly and get as close to the stadium as possible - use the popular one. at fayetteville, for expample, there is a free (w/ a $10 landing fee) shuttle to the game. and they frop you off where ever you want on razorback road (runs right by the stadium). Bama charged like $15-20 a head for a ride to the stadium on a short bus... Tennese charges five a head for a ride in strecth limos...  moral of the story, you get a cheap ride to and from the stadium if you use the right airport...

aggie pilot

Thanks for the information.  Look forward to the game in College Station in a few weeks.  If you come I think you will find that flying into Easterwood is a good experience.

bvillepig

Be sure to check the Notams because I am pretty sure Auburn puts up a temp tower on Saturdays. When I went down in 06 we went IFR so had to get a slot time. I do not think VFR has to mess with that but it was no big deal other than registering on the STMP web site. Good luck you guys.

gotyacovered

GusMcRae

Quote from: aggie pilot on September 11, 2012, 05:53:14 pm
Thanks for the information.  Look forward to the game in College Station in a few weeks.  If you come I think you will find that flying into Easterwood is a good experience.

aggie pilot,
Where are you based out of?
What do you fly and what is your level of expertise?

I'm class of 84', rookie pilot (attained PP October 2011, have a little over 210 hrs total time) and have joined this message board b/c TexAgs doesn't have an aviation board.  It is friendly territory and I have picked up a lot from these guys. 
Welcome to their board. ;)
I am going to the Bacon and Ags game this year but will be flying into UTS (Huntsville) due to proximity to my brothers residence, who will be hosting us that weekend. 
I am anxious to fly into Easterwood someday. 

It ain't dieing I'm talking about Woodrow,,,, It's living!

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on September 12, 2012, 08:46:39 am
aggie pilot,
Where are you based out of?
What do you fly and what is your level of expertise?

I'm class of 84', rookie pilot (attained PP October 2011, have a little over 210 hrs total time) and have joined this message board b/c TexAgs doesn't have an aviation board.  It is friendly territory and I have picked up a lot from these guys. 
Welcome to their board. ;)
I am going to the Bacon and Ags game this year but will be flying into UTS (Huntsville) due to proximity to my brothers residence, who will be hosting us that weekend. 
I am anxious to fly into Easterwood someday. 

GusM... i always forget your an aggie, you are way to smart and nice ;D ;D ;D

glad to have both of you. aggie pilot... we ought to have an introduce yourself thread... i am an 11 month, 175 hour PP (ASEL) and am working on my IR as we speak... i own 50% of a C182L.

GusMcRae

Quote from: gotyacovered on September 12, 2012, 09:29:52 am
GusM... i always forget your an aggie, you are way to smart and nice ;D ;D ;D

glad to have both of you. aggie pilot... we ought to have an introduce yourself thread... i am an 11 month, 175 hour PP (ASEL) and am working on my IR as we speak... i own 50% of a C182L.

Haha!  I'll take that as a compliment. 

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on September 12, 2012, 10:11:00 am
Haha!  I'll take that as a compliment. 

haha... whats everyone in aggie land saying about the gators? i watched most of it... looks like you guys have a beast of a QB. he's gonna be good... hell he IS good, going to be great.

GusMcRae

Quote from: gotyacovered on September 12, 2012, 10:22:18 am
haha... whats everyone in aggie land saying about the gators? i watched most of it... looks like you guys have a beast of a QB. he's gonna be good... hell he IS good, going to be great.

I don't know what the rest of the Aggie Nation thinks about it but I was pleasantly surprised with our defense. 
Manziel has a long way to go in my opinion.  He seems like a reckless gunslinger, and I think we were damn lucky he didn't turn the ball over.  I think he bailed out on the pass too quick.  A lot of the time he never even looked for a receiver, and I know that can be by design, but we have good backs to run the ball, and good receivers to catch the ball.  I like a qb that can run when he needs to but that doesn't need to be the first option. 
Non production by the offense (and a lot of that due to senseless penalties) in the 2nd half is what lost the game for us.  1 td or 2 fg in the 2nd half and that game is in the W column.  Defense did their part.  I hope the coaching staff can figure out how to get the offense to play for more than 30 min. 

I do like Manziel's  potential, and if he's coachable, then we may have a diamond in the rough.

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on September 12, 2012, 11:00:52 am
I do like Manziel's  potential, and if he's coachable, then we may have a diamond in the rough.

well i hope they dont get it figured out by 9/29... ;D looks like we are going to struggle in general, but even more so against a mobile QB

bvillepig

Quote from: gotyacovered on September 12, 2012, 08:14:28 am
bvillepig sighting!!!

hope all is well...

Things are very very busy . I am working to many hours right now without a lot of return on Investment. We are solving problems though slowly but surely. I have evidently not done a very good job of managing my time. Heck i havn't picked up a club in almost 2 1/2 weeks.

I get to read the forum every day but with my tremendous typing ability its just to much of a chore some times to post. You guys do a great job anyway with your knowledge.

aggie pilot

Based out of KTFP  near Corpus Christi, Fly a C182,  Instrument rated with just over 2000 hrs accumulated in 20 years of flying (400 tail wheel).  Looking forward to the new territory in the SEC.  Was able to fly to many of the big 12 schools over the years.  Most memorable flight was to South Bend when A&M played there.  You see the gold dome as soon as you lift off.  Have followed this board for a while and decided to post.  Appreciate your help

rnclittlerock

welcome, we don't really dislike aTm people (but if you got to games you know that already).  we both hate longhorns after all, so we have that in common.

aggie pilot

First A&M game attended was 1964 against Arkansas in College Station.  Was a senior in high school.  Parents and I drove down from Atlanta TX and then back home after game.  Long day.  Family Christmas present that year was tickets to the Cotton Bowl.  Saw Hogs play Nebraska.  A lot of red and a lot of hog calling.  Went to Baylor as undergrad working as a student trainer.  Made two trips to the hills working games.  We won one and lost one.  Have graduate degree from A&M and son is an aggie.  Have had season tickets since he was a fish in 98.  Two things I enjoy the most in life are college football and flying.  Look forward to the trip next year.  May be all of ours last time to see the game home and home for a long time.  Went to Arlington last year.  Easy flying from home, shared a cab with Hog pilots.  Jerry World nice but would rather be home and home as a fan.

GusMcRae

Quote from: aggie pilot on September 12, 2012, 07:47:32 pm
Based out of KTFP  near Corpus Christi, Fly a C182,  Instrument rated with just over 2000 hrs accumulated in 20 years of flying (400 tail wheel).  Looking forward to the new territory in the SEC.  Was able to fly to many of the big 12 schools over the years.  Most memorable flight was to South Bend when A&M played there.  You see the gold dome as soon as you lift off.  Have followed this board for a while and decided to post.  Appreciate your help

Good deal,,, another 182 partner in crime.   :D
Sounds like you came to the aviation dance a little later in life as well.  I turned 50 two weeks ago. 
Have some friends that just moved to Port A,,, they are begging us to come down, plans are to do that sometime this fall/winter, fly into RAS. 
Is your handle on TexAgs "aggie pilot" as well?  I think someone on there uses that.  I don't get on there at all during the day, but occasionally do at night.

GusMcRae

Quote from: aggie pilot on September 13, 2012, 06:28:09 am
Went to Arlington last year.  Easy flying from home, shared a cab with Hog pilots.  Jerry World nice but would rather be home and home as a fan.

One more question, what airport did you fly into when you flew in for the game at Jerryworld?

I've had no reason to fly into the interior of metro-plex area yet.  I fly into Sherman Muni frequently (SWI), cheapest fuel around on a consistent basis but not the reason I fly there, and have landed at AeroCountry (T31) which is just inside the outer circle of DFW airspace one time to drop off a friend who bought a plane there.

aggie pilot

Gus
Have never posted on texags so not aggie pilot there.  That site is out of control a lot of the time even though I read at times. 
Flew into Arlington when I went to game last year.  Straight shot from tfp.  Took about 2 hours.  Was on ground by 9:30 with plenty of time to get to stadium.  Rangers had playoff game that night so airport was packed after football game.  Cab ride is a straight shot from the airport and is about $20 each way.  Did start flying later in life but have tried to make up for that.  Could retire if I did not fly and go to football games.  Have to pay for the toys.
What is your home airport?

GusMcRae

Quote from: aggie pilot on September 13, 2012, 07:06:52 pm
Did start flying later in life but have tried to make up for that.  Could retire if I did not fly and go to football games.  Have to pay for the toys.

I hear ya, that may be how it works for me too unless I get my commercial license and pick up some sort of flying gig so that I can retire in about 7 years.  Will be working on instrument ticket pretty hard this fall/winter and will consider commercial after that.

F05.  Other side of the state from you. 

bvillepig

Quote from: aggie pilot on September 13, 2012, 07:06:52 pm
Gus
Have never posted on texags so not aggie pilot there.  That site is out of control a lot of the time even though I read at times. 
Flew into Arlington when I went to game last year.  Straight shot from tfp.  Took about 2 hours.  Was on ground by 9:30 with plenty of time to get to stadium.  Rangers had playoff game that night so airport was packed after football game.  Cab ride is a straight shot from the airport and is about $20 each way.  Did start flying later in life but have tried to make up for that.  Could retire if I did not fly and go to football games.  Have to pay for the toys.

Same here . No retiring as long as I have an airplane. I have worked for our company for 39 years and sometimes I think about it but as long as I have the palne  No way

aggie pilot

Back to the original question.  Oxford KUOX has a notam posted this morning for a temp tower tomorrow for the t-sip game  8 am to 5:59 pm.  No notam for Auburn tomorrow for Louisiana Monroe that I have seen.

aggie pilot

Update:  Flew to Ole Miss game landing at KTUP on Friday for the weekend.  Other Aggies there also.  Nice towered airport near hotels.  Rent car was waiting for me.  Hour drive to Oxford for game.

gotyacovered

Quote from: aggie pilot on October 15, 2012, 06:27:27 pm
Update:  Flew to Ole Miss game landing at KTUP on Friday for the weekend.  Other Aggies there also.  Nice towered airport near hotels.  Rent car was waiting for me.  Hour drive to Oxford for game.

Sweet!

Completely out of curiosity... Why didn't you fly into kuox?

aggie pilot

Hotel room was in KTUP, night game, bad weather all played into choice.