Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Helicopter License

Started by FaytownHog, October 21, 2011, 12:49:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

FaytownHog

Anybody have one? I know a lot of the plane pilots I talk to are almost scared of helicopters. Want nothing to do with them. It's the obvious disadvantage of, if something goes wrong, you're a falling rock with almost no way to survive. I always thought being an air evac pilot would be a sweet gig though. Flying and helping people.

gotyacovered

I would live too! Be awesome... Getting started has got to be a lot more expensive.... Most copter pilots come from a military back ground I would have to assume.
You are what you tolerate.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: gotyacovered on October 21, 2011, 12:54:58 pm
I would live too! Be awesome... Getting started has got to be a lot more expensive.... Most copter pilots come from a military back ground I would have to assume.

Yep.  It's expensive to get time, an instructor, and fuel for rotary wing training.  The only way I continue to fly helicopters after the Army is if someone pays me to do it, pays for the helicopter, pays for the maintenance, etc.  It's too rich for my blood.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: FaytownHog on October 21, 2011, 12:49:02 pm
Anybody have one? I know a lot of the plane pilots I talk to are almost scared of helicopters. Want nothing to do with them. It's the obvious disadvantage of, if something goes wrong, you're a falling rock with almost no way to survive. I always thought being an air evac pilot would be a sweet gig though. Flying and helping people.

No need to fear the big fan machine.  Most civvy helicopters (especially American-made) with a semi-rigid rotor system autorotate like a champ.  The Bell Jet Ranger autos amazingly.  I have about 30 touchdown autos in that aircraft, and I never came close to balling it up.

I also hear the UH-1 Huey, even the twin Huey, actually have so much inertia in their heavy rotors that it takes a few seconds for you to begin decent from a hover after engine failure.

If you can get it, I'd recommend dual-engine helicopter training.  That's where the big money is.  But, it's expensive.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.

FaytownHog

Quote from: wocraig on October 21, 2011, 05:53:00 pm
No need to fear the big fan machine.  Most civvy helicopters (especially American-made) with a semi-rigid rotor system autorotate like a champ.  The Bell Jet Ranger autos amazingly.  I have about 30 touchdown autos in that aircraft, and I never came close to balling it up.

I also hear the UH-1 Huey, even the twin Huey, actually have so much inertia in their heavy rotors that it takes a few seconds for you to begin decent from a hover after engine failure.

If you can get it, I'd recommend dual-engine helicopter training.  That's where the big money is.  But, it's expensive.
yea, being at ACH watching the helicopters land and take off all day got me thinking about this. I would really love to do something like that some day. I wonder if they'd pay to have you trained if you worked for them or something.

What gets to me is there's been a couple air evac copters crash and the entire crew killed just in the nwa/neo area in the past couple of years, so that's a gut check.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: FaytownHog on October 21, 2011, 08:34:02 pm
yea, being at ACH watching the helicopters land and take off all day got me thinking about this. I would really love to do something like that some day. I wonder if they'd pay to have you trained if you worked for them or something.

What gets to me is there's been a couple air evac copters crash and the entire crew killed just in the nwa/neo area in the past couple of years, so that's a gut check.

Well, you know what they say:  "The definition of an optimist is a helicopter pilot thinking he might die of cancer."

FaytownHog

October 22, 2011, 11:40:29 pm #6 Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 04:30:06 pm by gotyacovered
Quote from: wocraig on October 22, 2011, 08:35:06 pm
Well, you know what they say:  "The definition of an optimist is a helicopter pilot thinking he might die of cancer."
lol. If you had to go, at least it might be semi quick, not much doubt left in a helicrash.