Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aviation map on the wall with those little pins stuck in them ?

Started by bvillepig, October 11, 2011, 04:19:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bvillepig

I guess when I caught the bug a few years back I caught it bad. 

Whats the fartherest you guys have flown from home base to destination in each direction ?

Example

Home  Blytheville
North  Chicago
West  Denver
SW    San Antonio
South Key West
East   Virginia Beach

gotyacovered

this will be cool when the UPS and Fed Ex guys post, since my list consists of towns like magnolia, vivian and fayetteville... i'll pass for now. haha ;D
You are what you tolerate.

bvillepig

Yes I was looking forward to them weighing in.

You will get there.

All of them are memorable but my first solo cross country before my private was an experience.

Then my first flight after my ticket was to Little Rock from Blytheville. I was so excited but at the same time nervous.    Tower gave me a left base and cleared to land for 18 and darned if didn't get it mixed up with 22 . I quickly realized my mistake and corrected but was hot and high. Even in the little Archer I floated forever down 18, even slightly bounced a couple of times.  I was hoping no one was looking.

Flying Razorback

From Enid, OK:

North - Alpena, MI
East - Long Island, NY
West - Portland, OR or Sacramento, CA
South - Houston, San Antonio, or Orlando, not sure which would count

The most fun trips I've had have been bouncing around.  Like flying to Charlotte, NC to visit NASCAR shops and then getting up and flying to Chicago to watch the NASCAR race.  Or going with a bunch of friends out to Reno.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

theFlyingHog

Hmm, I've done Amarillo to the west. Huntsville east. I've never ventured north and Gulfport to the south.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: theFlyingHog on October 11, 2011, 06:30:45 pm
Hmm, I've done Amarillo to the west. Huntsville east. I've never ventured north and Gulfport to the south.

I go to Amarillo quite a bit.  I love eating at the English Fieldhouse on the field there.  They have an amazing breakfast menu.  The best is when I fly in there for a night flight and head to the Big Texan though.

There's some awesome flying further west though.  That's where my heart always ends up drawing me.

bvillepig

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on October 11, 2011, 05:37:15 pm
From Enid, OK:

North - Alpena, MI
East - Long Island, NY
West - Portland, OR or Sacramento, CA
South - Houston, San Antonio, or Orlando, not sure which would count

The most fun trips I've had have been bouncing around.  Like flying to Charlotte, NC to visit NASCAR shops and then getting up and flying to Chicago to watch the NASCAR race.  Or going with a bunch of friends out to Reno.

What route to get to Portland or did you have Big Iron ?

Flying Razorback

Quote from: bvillepig on October 11, 2011, 07:08:01 pm
What route to get to Portland or did you have Big Iron ?

I was in the Beech 400 so I went more or less direct.  It makes it quite a bit easier.

Arkie4life

From Little Rock

North: Grand Rapids, MI
South: South Padre Island, TX
East: Syracuse, NY
West: Portland, Oregon

HawgPilot

From Conway:
Tucson, AZ

and to the east, Orlando FL

Both of these flights were in a T182 Turbo

My longest leg was from El Paso, TX to Conway.  It took 3.9 hours with a great tailwind at FL 150 we were getting 209kts of ground speed!!  Not bad in that aircraft ;D

theFlyingHog

Quote from: HawgPilot on October 13, 2011, 02:14:22 pm
From Conway:
Tucson, AZ

My longest leg was from El Paso, TX to Conway.  It took 3.9 hours with a great tailwind at FL 150 we were getting 209kts of ground speed!!  Not bad in that aircraft ;D
Do you know the lady at Conway that flies(or did fly) Baron N121BL(my avatar)? She was my instructor for a while.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: HawgPilot on October 13, 2011, 02:14:22 pm
From Conway:
Tucson, AZ

Not to get too picky, buuuttt....  Flight Levels dont' start until 180 in the United States airspace system....

But, serious question, did you have to wear an oxygen mask or is there a type of pressurization in a T182?

bvillepig

I will butt in if its OK

Either a cannula or mask in a 182. No pressurization.

Only pressurized pistons left in a single are the Cessna 210P and the Piper Malibu/Malibu Mirage.

Piston twins are the Cessna 340,414,421. Baron 58P, Piper P-Navajo, and the some of the Aerostars

theFlyingHog

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on October 13, 2011, 03:45:10 pm
Not to get too picky, buuuttt....  Flight Levels dont' start until 180 in the United States airspace system....

But, serious question, did you have to wear an oxygen mask or is there a type of pressurization in a T182?
Let's not turn this into Airliners.net! Hahahaha! Any of you guys ever been on that site? I used to be a member but the 14yr old kids that know it all from FlightSim ruin the fun.

fdx flyer

West - either Memphis to Osaka or Shanghai
East - Memphis to Dubai

All roughly 14 hours and change.  We're double crewed if its over 12 hours.  We fly 3-4 hours at a time and then go to the back for a nap/break.

HawgPilot

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on October 13, 2011, 03:45:10 pm

I have a 4 place oxygen system....and thanks for the correction!  I am not a professional pilot, I own a business ;D

gotyacovered

Quote from: fdx flyer on October 14, 2011, 04:03:06 am
West - either Memphis to Osaka or Shanghai
East - Memphis to Dubai

All roughly 14 hours and change.  We're double crewed if its over 12 hours.  We fly 3-4 hours at a time and then go to the back for a nap/break.

so are you guys limited like the atp guys with the number of hours? if you dont mind me asking... how many?
You are what you tolerate.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: HawgPilot on October 14, 2011, 11:01:05 am
I have a 4 place oxygen system....and thanks for the correction!  I am not a professional pilot, I own a business ;D

Sorry, I was just messing around.  It gets boring out here sometimes.  We do ICAO simulators where we fly around Europe where the flight levels start at low altitudes, like 12,000 in some cases.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: HawgPilot on October 14, 2011, 11:02:20 am
Terra Clevenger??  Yes, if that is who you are talking about, I know her
Yeah that's her. She's a good stick.

fdx flyer

Quote from: gotyacovered on October 14, 2011, 01:56:03 pm
so are you guys limited like the atp guys with the number of hours? if you dont mind me asking... how many?

We are ATP guys.  FedEx is a Part 121 carrier.

HawgPilot

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on October 14, 2011, 03:12:13 pm
Sorry, I was just messing around.  It gets boring out here sometimes.  We do ICAO simulators where we fly around Europe where the flight levels start at low altitudes, like 12,000 in some cases.

No worries. I love to fly and I am instrument rated but rarely fly if conditions are marginal. Just too much risk for me as I don't stay current.

On another topic, you mentioned that you alternate after 3-4 hours.  Could you post what your "hang out" quarters look like? I've always wondered what you guys did on long flights after your "turn" was up.

fdx flyer

October 15, 2011, 02:57:42 am #21 Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 04:34:32 pm by gotyacovered
Quote from: HawgPilot on October 14, 2011, 08:25:13 pm
On another topic, you mentioned that you alternate after 3-4 hours.  Could you post what your "hang out" quarters look like? I've always wondered what you guys did on long flights after your "turn" was up.

I don't have any pictures of the back.  Maybe I can take one on my flight next week.  On the 777's  there's a galley and a lavatory, and 4 very nice reclining leather seats.  There's also a closet with two bunks, one over the other.  I can curl up in there and get some pretty decent sleep usually.