Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Let's talk about the almost crapping your pants moments

Started by ADAM_713, October 05, 2011, 11:49:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gotyacovered

Quote from: bvillepig on March 07, 2012, 11:27:20 pm

I co
He was conducting an investigation because an emergency was declared because of icing.  He never said that formally but that was how I took it. He was very professional. He did say that it looks like you did every thing you should have however maybe you could have declared an emergency earlier.

What was very eye opening  to me was that I had just descended from 10000 to 4000 with the layer starting at 8000 and did not pick up even a trace.  I had only been at 4000 for about five or 10 minutes when a plane going into Branson reported moderate ice at 5000. Then a couple of jets going into XNA reported. I was happy to be at 4000.

I really think if I had not asked for vectors or a 360 I might have got into trouble with the feds. I wished I would have refused the 5000 but I didn't. It was a flight Express guy trying to get off Harrison to Springdale and I was trying to be helpful. I know those guys have a pretty tough job.

on a totally diff level, last night i had to take my plane to txk for a couple nights, long story.

anyway, i called the tower 13nm out, he tells me to report mid-field left downwind for 13. roger.

i am about 3 miles from the airport just about to report mid-field, matter of fact i stepped on the tower to report, when he called me and told me to report left base for 13 instead. so i, as a young pilot, do exactly as i am told... roll hard right and angle away from the airport a bit to give myself time to set up the approach; it was pretty windy so i wanted to hit my numbers... landed w/o a hitch... anyway, it was a good learning experience. i called my dad and told him the story, he got a kick out of it and told me what i should have done, but reminded me, in the event they ask you to do something that doesn't make sense, or jeopardizes safety, say unable.
You are what you tolerate.

Fanofthegame

I am not a pilot, but I just wanted to tell you guys that I try to stop by and read your comments every so often. They are very interesting to read, sometimes your "lingo" is hard to follow but great reads.
"He may not be in a class by himself, but it don't take long to call roll"

gotyacovered

March 13, 2012, 03:33:18 pm #52 Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 03:34:52 pm by gotyacovered
Quote from: Fanofthegame on March 13, 2012, 10:15:35 am
I am not a pilot, but I just wanted to tell you guys that I try to stop by and read your comments every so often. They are very interesting to read, sometimes your "lingo" is hard to follow but great reads.

i am a new pilot, and you are right, the lingo is half the battle.

i was going into little rock a few weeks ago and the tower vectored me for sequencing, said i was #2 and instructed me to follow the "ball" (or thats what i heard anyway). the first time he said it i didnt say anything, nor did i repeat it (you are supposed too), and he didnt say anything about me not repeating it, so i thought, well i misunderstood. when i got my clearance he said it again and i repeated it back... sat there for a min and then called them back and, just to clarify i wanted to make sure you said i was #2 and to follow the "ball", he replies roger... nothing but silence/confusion on my part. i see the plane in front of me and the the two behind me, so i land... thinking this is some kind of lingo i haven't heard yet, or something that everyone forgot to tell me. I taxi to central south, and i am getting out of my plane, still in a state of confusion, and my dad comes over to pick me up and says... "hey did you see that Maule? that is one of the Henderson trainers..." and suddenly it all made sense... i still laugh at myself over that one.

bvillepig

Quote from: Fanofthegame on March 13, 2012, 10:15:35 am

Welcome to a great place Fan. Feel free to ask any questions. Some one will have a good explantion for you.

hawkhawg

I was working for a crop duster and I would ride in the hopper in the nose of the plane. The pilot would crack open the hopper to give me air and all I could see was a small window where I could see the pilots face. We take off and I hear this crash. No one attached the spreader and it was hanging loose. I looked up at pilot and he looked scared. I just knew when he tried to land that spreader would catch the ground and flip the tail over the nose and crush me. But we landed and it beat up the spreader but no problems. I was doing some heavy praying.

pigture perfect

I wasn't a pilot, but a crew cheif on a Huey. More than once we ran into some pretty hairy situations doing eradication missions in the mid-eighties. You'ld be suprised how badly people are defensive of their pot circles.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Fanofthegame

Quote from: bvillepig on March 13, 2012, 04:45:30 pm
Welcome to a great place Fan. Feel free to ask any questions. Some one will have a good explantion for you.

Thanks, I don't post very much, usually just read. Its neat to read "When Hogs Fly" because its something very much out of my knowledge base. Some of the treads are like reading a book of short stories, very interesting. In my life I don't have these interesting things to tell people about or at least they don't seem interesting to me.

Only one problem.....

I wish yall had more people posting so there would be more for me to read! :razorback:
"He may not be in a class by himself, but it don't take long to call roll"

bvillepig

Quote from: Fanofthegame on March 15, 2012, 10:26:34 am
Thanks, I don't post very much, usually just read. Its neat to read "When Hogs Fly" because its something very much out of my knowledge base. Some of the treads are like reading a book of short stories, very interesting. In my life I don't have these interesting things to tell people about or at least they don't seem interesting to me.

Only one problem.....

I wish yall had more people posting so there would be more for me to read! :razorback:

This is a pretty new forum. It started last fall when there was talk of a Hog fly in over in Monday Morning QB. I believe FlyingRzrbkAF started it but not sure. Great topic and thanks to him and all that made it possible.

I am just glad the admins were kind enough to set aside a place to talk about our other passion. Hopefully things will pick up in time.  Again Welcome.

gotyacovered

May 25, 2012, 01:48:20 pm #58 Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 01:59:32 pm by gotyacovered
i had a "moment" yesterday.

very short final and encountered some surface turbulence, possibly wind sheer, possibly terrain related. was close to flare and lost my air, hit a pocket of dead air - whatever you want to call it. the bottom dropped out of it quicker than i ever could imagine.

forgot to mention i greased it in 8)

bvillepig

Quote from: gotyacovered on May 25, 2012, 01:48:20 pm
i had a "moment" yesterday.

very short final and encountered some surface turbulence, possibly wind sheer, possibly terrain related. was close to flare and lost my air, hit a pocket of dead air - whatever you want to call it. the bottom dropped out of it quicker than i ever could imagine.

forgot to mention i greased it in 8)
The old pucker factor.  It's also amazing how quick those moments are and how fast they are over   Then you walk away with a greaser and everything is good. 

Flying Razorback

I hate when that happens.  It's a pretty sick feeling especially in a heavier jet.  The bigger they get the less you can just allow it to plant itself.  Dropping the last 10 feet or so and having a firm touchdown in a 172 isn't as bad as dropping the last 10 feet in a 16,000 or 450,000 pound aircraft. 

It always amazed me too how many of my students would cut the throttles as they approached the threshold and planned on just letting the aircraft float to the runway.  That doesn't work and then you add in one of those dead pockets of air and the sinking feeling makes your stomach flip quick.  I'd always throw the throttles back in to counteract and get it to the runway or call a go around if it was too bad.  It amazed me how the students never got that sinking feeling or at least never cared.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

GusMcRae

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on May 26, 2012, 10:07:03 am
I hate when that happens.  It's a pretty sick feeling especially in a heavier jet.  The bigger they get the less you can just allow it to plant itself.  Dropping the last 10 feet or so and having a firm touchdown in a 172 isn't as bad as dropping the last 10 feet in a 16,000 or 450,000 pound aircraft. 

It always amazed me too how many of my students would cut the throttles as they approached the threshold and planned on just letting the aircraft float to the runway.  That doesn't work and then you add in one of those dead pockets of air and the sinking feeling makes your stomach flip quick.  I'd always throw the throttles back in to counteract and get it to the runway or call a go around if it was too bad.  It amazed me how the students never got that sinking feeling or at least never cared.

I typically cut all the power off in the C-150, that's the way my instructor taught in the trainer, but definitely can't get away with that in the C-182, she comes right on down where the C-150 just keeps floating. 

We're in that hot time of year were DA gets awfully high, especially in the afternoons.

It ain't dieing I'm talking about Woodrow,,,, It's living!

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

Flying Razorback

May 31, 2012, 10:32:43 am #62 Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 02:31:27 pm by gotyacovered
Quote from: GusMcRae on May 30, 2012, 01:47:43 pm
I typically cut all the power off in the C-150, that's the way my instructor taught in the trainer, but definitely can't get away with that in the C-182, she comes right on down where the C-150 just keeps floating. 

We're in that hot time of year were DA gets awfully high, especially in the afternoons.

That's true, it's all about weight and environmental factors.  Anything with any weight in it at all you can't just let it float, it comes down too hard.  The other thing you have to allow for when landing in this kind of heat is the higher true air speeds on final. 

KCRazorbackfan

First time posting here; finally scrolled down from MMQB and Recruiting Forum and saw "When Pigs Fly".

Had 2 of those crap your pants moments - first one was when I was living in Harrison in the mid 80's and had just gotten my PPL.  Was building time doing touch and goes in the FBO's 150 and was on left base for 18; at the time there was a commuter prop jet on the hold line on 18 getting ready for departure and as I turned final, he was given clearance to depart.  As I was about to cross the threshold, I caught the wake turbulence he created and the right wind dipped approx. 45* and then it flipped back where the left wing dipped approx. 45*.  Got it lined up about 20' off the deck and set it down.  Another pilot setting at the hold line commented "rough landing, huh"?

Second time was about a two years later.  Had gotten my IFR rating and had bought an IFR equipped 172.  The family and I flew down to Biloxi to have Thanksgiving with my brother and his family.  We left two days later with crappy weather the whole route back to HRO.  Memphis Center had me at 8,000 and as I came into Little Rock's airspace, the 172 sheared over with ice.  Traffic was heavy that day and I called Center to request a different altitude; Center told me to standby with what seemed like an eternity; called back and said "Center, 59Kilo requesting clearance either up or down because the ice is getting ready to take me down"!  They dropped me 1,000' and it started peeling off.  Whew!   
Life took me to Central Florida, but I'll always be a Razorback.

gotyacovered

Quote from: KCRazorbackfan on December 23, 2012, 12:22:09 pm
First time posting here; finally scrolled down from MMQB and Recruiting Forum and saw "When Pigs Fly".

Had 2 of those crap your pants moments - first one was when I was living in Harrison in the mid 80's and had just gotten my PPL.  Was building time doing touch and goes in the FBO's 150 and was on left base for 18; at the time there was a commuter prop jet on the hold line on 18 getting ready for departure and as I turned final, he was given clearance to depart.  As I was about to cross the threshold, I caught the wake turbulence he created and the right wind dipped approx. 45* and then it flipped back where the left wing dipped approx. 45*.  Got it lined up about 20' off the deck and set it down.  Another pilot setting at the hold line commented "rough landing, huh"?

Second time was about a two years later.  Had gotten my IFR rating and had bought an IFR equipped 172.  The family and I flew down to Biloxi to have Thanksgiving with my brother and his family.  We left two days later with crappy weather the whole route back to HRO.  Memphis Center had me at 8,000 and as I came into Little Rock's airspace, the 172 sheared over with ice.  Traffic was heavy that day and I called Center to request a different altitude; Center told me to standby with what seemed like an eternity; called back and said "Center, 59Kilo requesting clearance either up or down because the ice is getting ready to take me down"!  They dropped me 1,000' and it started peeling off.  Whew!   

Welcome to the forum... Typical of GA right now it can be pretty dead in here. Hope to see you often!

I have not experienced either of those (wake turbulence/ice) and hope not to. I think it's inevitable as I am working on my IR now and will use it! See ya around.

KCRazorbackfan

Quote from: gotyacovered on December 23, 2012, 02:47:38 pm
Welcome to the forum... Typical of GA right now it can be pretty dead in here. Hope to see you often!

I have not experienced either of those (wake turbulence/ice) and hope not to. I think it's inevitable as I am working on my IR now and will use it! See ya around.

Thanks; try and stay away from both (wake turbulence/ice); they will both make a certain muscle tighten up!

bvillepig

Quote from: KCRazorbackfan on December 23, 2012, 04:03:39 pm
Thanks; try and stay away from both (wake turbulence/ice); they will both make a certain muscle tighten up!

Welcome KC. There are alot of good people in here and a lot of good info. One of these days maybe we will get together a real fly in and meet some where.

Right Gotya.

Take care and Merry Christmas.

KCRazorbackfan

Quote from: bvillepig on December 23, 2012, 08:51:53 pm
Welcome KC. There are alot of good people in here and a lot of good info. One of these days maybe we will get together a real fly in and meet some where.

Right Gotya.

Do you live in Blytheville and fly into the old airbase?  My dad used to have a cotton gin in Hermondale, MO back in the 60's and I remember B58's flying in and out of the base.  Wow, brings back old memories.

bvillepig

Quote from: KCRazorbackfan on December 23, 2012, 09:30:09 pm
Do you live in Blytheville and fly into the old airbase?  My dad used to have a cotton gin in Hermondale, MO back in the 60's and I remember B58's flying in and out of the base.  Wow, brings back old memories.

Yes .  I  loved to watch the old B52 and about every two years they had an airshow with Thunderbirds. Those were a lot of fun.
Have my plane in one of the old hangers on KBYH (BAFB then Eaker AFB).  I moved over from the municipal a few years ago. We love it.  11500 feet with an ILS. 

gotyacovered

Quote from: bvillepig on December 23, 2012, 08:51:53 pm

Right Gotya.

Someone told me that KHOT has a pancake fly in first sat of every month... Maybe we can give that a shot, never been myself.  Actually never been to any fly ins...

bvillepig

I have been to Oshkosh and Sun n fun but did not fly in to those fields

Love sun n fun but we base in Tampa and drive over.
Never been to a fly in either . Hot Springs is good maybe meet at Adams Flight Deck I think one of theses days

tweet pilot

It's good to be old.  I started reading this thread thinking it was new until I ran across some of my own postings.  I did realize I never finished one of the stories, the one about the formation ride where our wingman broke formation and found himself upside down in heavy clouds.  Before I tell what happened to us, let me say more about the flying my wingman did.  He had a J8 attitude indicator.  I'm sure most don't even know what one is, but it's just a black ball with simulated landing gear.  We hated getting one of the T-37s that was equipped with one,especially on an instrument ride, because the gyros were awful. Half the time when the J8 said you were straight and level, you weren't even close.  Now, imagine yourself upside down, in the soup, basically without an attitude indicator, trying to recover. He went through about 10,000 ft of sky before he did. Would make you catch your breath.

We had a fire light.  The book says to shut the engine down and if the fire light stays on, you eject.  We shut the engine down, the light went out, we declared an emergency and headed back to base.  Shortly after starting the return, the light comes back on.  Now it's a bit more worrisome.  We were being positioned for a single engine GCA when it was determined we had enough ceiling for a standard single engine overhead landing.  Since we had no other instruments that indicated a fire, we had them clear the pattern for a modified approach. The engine that was shut down was on the student's side.  He said he was seeing possible smoke.  Turns out he was just seeing whiffs of clouds.  To finish the story, they rolled the crash equipment and we deplaned on the runway as soon as the plane stopped.  Turns out we had an oil leak dripping on the engine.  Could have been serious, but wasn't. The thing I think is interesting, I had no nervousness whatsoever until I got out of the plane.  Then the knees got a little shaky .

I'm sitting in Huntsville, Aladamnbama at the inlaws trying to entertain myself.  I'm looking forward to reading this all again next year, thinking its new, and enjoying it all over again.

gotyacovered

Quote from: tweet pilot on December 26, 2012, 01:10:32 pm
It's good to be old.  I started reading this thread thinking it was new until I ran across some of my own postings.  I did realize I never finished one of the stories, the one about the formation ride where our wingman broke formation and found himself upside down in heavy clouds.  Before I tell what happened to us, let me say more about the flying my wingman did.  He had a J8 attitude indicator.  I'm sure most don't even know what one is, but it's just a black ball with simulated landing gear.  We hated getting one of the T-37s that was equipped with one,especially on an instrument ride, because the gyros were awful. Half the time when the J8 said you were straight and level, you weren't even close.  Now, imagine yourself upside down, in the soup, basically without an attitude indicator, trying to recover. He went through about 10,000 ft of sky before he did. Would make you catch your breath.

We had a fire light.  The book says to shut the engine down and if the fire light stays on, you eject.  We shut the engine down, the light went out, we declared an emergency and headed back to base.  Shortly after starting the return, the light comes back on.  Now it's a bit more worrisome.  We were being positioned for a single engine GCA when it was determined we had enough ceiling for a standard single engine overhead landing.  Since we had no other instruments that indicated a fire, we had them clear the pattern for a modified approach. The engine that was shut down was on the student's side.  He said he was seeing possible smoke.  Turns out he was just seeing whiffs of clouds.  To finish the story, they rolled the crash equipment and we deplaned on the runway as soon as the plane stopped.  Turns out we had an oil leak dripping on the engine.  Could have been serious, but wasn't. The thing I think is interesting, I had no nervousness whatsoever until I got out of the plane.  Then the knees got a little shaky .

I'm sitting in Huntsville, Aladamnbama at the inlaws trying to entertain myself.  I'm looking forward to reading this all again next year, thinking its new, and enjoying it all over again.

Haha, great post.

I can't imagine eating up 10k just trying to determine attitude! That's a whole different ball game. I bet you guys had a blast, all day, every day.

tweet pilot

Quote from: gotyacovered on December 26, 2012, 09:33:10 pm
Haha, great post.

I can't imagine eating up 10k just trying to determine attitude! That's a whole different ball game. I bet you guys had a blast, all day, every day.

I must admit I have some great memories and to this day, my best friends are people I met in the Air Force 40 years ago.  Only one of my buddies still flies.  He's with Southwest.  Number 2 in seniority out of Dallas, number 6 company wide, I think.

gotyacovered

Quote from: tweet pilot on December 26, 2012, 10:29:53 pm
I must admit I have some great memories and to this day, my best friends are people I met in the Air Force 40 years ago.  Only one of my buddies still flies.  He's with Southwest.  Number 2 in seniority out of Dallas, number 6 company wide, I think.

cool. that is a good spot to be in these days.

my dad tells stories they did back in the army and crop dusting that i still cant believe. its a wonder i was ever born!!!

bvillepig

Sounds Great

Had a nerve eater today landing on part ice part slush part snow part pavement.  Not much experience with this. I had everything very nice and right on the center line. I kept a lot a of pressure off the nose whele untill I hit and line of slush piled up then an patch of ice about 500 feet long then pavement for a little while.  I was worried about slicing a tire (Don't know why that was in my head) on the broken ice slush piled up on the side taxing in.
Any of you guys have much experience with wintery stuff on low use facilitys.

gotyacovered

Quote from: bvillepig on December 27, 2012, 08:38:57 pm
Sounds Great

Had a nerve eater today landing on part ice part slush part snow part pavement.  Not much experience with this. I had everything very nice and right on the center line. I kept a lot a of pressure off the nose whele untill I hit and line of slush piled up then an patch of ice about 500 feet long then pavement for a little while.  I was worried about slicing a tire (Don't know why that was in my head) on the broken ice slush piled up on the side taxing in.
Any of you guys have much experience with wintery stuff on low use facilitys.

Here is my one experience... On my way back from Raton last year I crossed over  the field (Woodward, OK I think) to enter a downwind leg landing for one of the kids to potty break. As I called left traffic... I friendly Oklahoman woman's told me over the Unicom... "If ya want to leave with yur wheel pants i would land somewheres else..." I took her advice.

Hope you and yours had a good Christmas and best wishes on New Years bvillepig...

bvillepig

Quote from: gotyacovered on December 27, 2012, 09:09:51 pm
Here is my one experience... On my way back from Raton last year I crossed over  the field (Woodward, OK I think) to enter a downwind leg landing for one of the kids to potty break. As I called left traffic... I friendly Oklahoman woman's told me over the Unicom... "If ya want to leave with yur wheel pants i would land somewheres else..." I took her advice.

Hope you and yours had a good Christmas and best wishes on New Years bvillepig...
Thanks  Same to ya. Looking forward to buying lunch some day !!

GusMcRae

Took a trip today with my wife, her daughter, and my son,,,,, both the kids are HS Srs and looking at possibly going to Texas State, so we flew down to San Marcos (KHYI) to let them take a tour.  I know part of this won't make sense unless I explain now, my wife and I live 3 hours apart right now, and probably will until this summer. So my son and I left from my home base, F05, flew to KSWI yesterday evening, go watch basketball games, then we got up early this morning for the trip to tour the prospective college.  Great trip down, departed from KSWI headed south, prepared to vector, but DFW allowed us to go right through their airspace, no vectoring required,,, plenty of traffic to keep it interesting, and kept me on my toes to keep the heading and altitude tight. 
Heading to KHYI also took us pretty much right over Austin Bergstrum Intl (AUS).  KHYI is towered so I welcomed another towered airport experience.  Berry Aviation was the FBO we used there, allowed us to use their courtesy car to drive to the college and back. Very nice folks at Berry.  Didn't mind topping off with their $6.04 fuel.
Tour was good, ate lunch, etc...
Return trip started out just fine, pretty quick after KHYI tower passed me off to Austin Center I looked down and my 430 went blank, but I could still hear the radio but would not be able to see what the frequency digits were, my #2 radio was still lit up so I started getting the frequencies dialed up on it,  about that time Austin Center is asking me to change frequencies, and the #2 radio goes out.  I heard my tail number being called after my transmission evidently failed, I tried telling them I was losing my radios....  By this time I'm at 7500 ASL on a heading of 12, and I'm in Austin's airspace.... transponder goes blank next. 
I checked instruments first, all is well,,, gauges next, amp meter looks like it's straight up, fuel gauges sitting on E and I know I'm full of fuel,  started jacking with the circuit breakers, turn my master avionics switch off and on,,, Nada... (at this time I'm still thinking avionics problemo)
By this time both of our HS Srs have ear buds in, headsets off, asleep,,, which was probably a great thing.
My wife and I can still hear each other talking over the headset, but not for long, they go dead too, but she's helping me look for an airport to land at, and all we were coming up with were more towered airports.  I'm thinking, "I want a little country airport with no tower". 
My aera 560 is running off of battery by now, but I still have it, and Foreflight on my iPad. 
Thinking ahead, I definitely wanted to avoid anything near DFW - class Bravo airspace with no radio and no transponder, the next thing I think of is the avionics shop I use at KBKD, and this plan gets me out of the heavier air traffic that runs along I-35 . I helped my wife dial up KBKD on foreflight, and it's an hour and 15 minutes away.  Oil pressure and temps are good, so I decided to change headings to 330 for KBKD, which meant change altitude, descend to 6500.   Did see one plane pass in front of us East bound and they were probably less than a half mile from us and must've been IFR at 7000 msl.  I sure was missing my radios and flight following along about now, and it reminds me to keep my head on a swivel.
My wife's phone was able to text, so I had her send the av shop a message that we're headed their way with no radios and seemingly avionics troubles. 
Also had her text our mentor/pilot family friends/retired ATC to contact Austin and let them know what happened, as well as ask if they had any better ideas than our plan to head for the av shop far away from populated airspace.
It took awhile for it to sink in that I had an alternator problem.  We were probably still 45 min away from KBKD, about 3:30 pm by this time but I turned on my console lights to see if the post lights came on,,,, nope.  So I asked my wife to see if she could turn around and see if she could see the beacon light on the tail blinking,,,, no blinking.  I turned off all the light switches. I had already turned off the master av switch. 
Then it hits me, "I'm not going to have any flaps either".   Saying little prayers along the way, we made it to KBKD, made a "no flaps" landing with no problem.  The descent and landing wakens the sleeping passengers,,, and not until then did we break the news to them where we are and what's going on.  Shop diagnosed my problem pretty quick like, alternator no worky.  They could've fixed it for me but would be a day or so for parts, so that would leave us stranded.  We were only 45 min from home base (F05), just barely enough time to charge the battery, and get on home after sundown but with just enough daylight left to see without a landing light.  Had enough juice to run my flaps too.  Av shop was also nice enough to lend me a hand held radio to let any traffic at home know I was inbound, although there was no one around to hear my noisy announcement.   
Wife and daughter had to make the 3 hour drive back in my old Sub near KSWI. 
There's really no good time for an alternator to go out, but feel very fortunate that it worked out as good as it did.  Hate that it happened when I had all 4 seats in the plane occupied, but I am so thankful that my wife was there in the front seat to help with the iPad and talk it out with. 
This moves up my list to #1.   

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

bvillepig

gotyacovered

nice job.

i am surprised they went out one at a time like that. i am sure that is normal, just didnt know.

did you ever consider squawking 7600 when you were still getting reception and had already lost one? i ask this not--in a critical manner--but because at this point i would like to know: if the lost comms squawk code should supersede the center code. would they rather know where you are as long as possible, or if you have a radio problem.

sounds like you threw a whole lot of luck out of your flight bag and replaced it with a whole lot of experience. congrats again.

GusMcRae

Quote from: gotyacovered on January 17, 2013, 08:42:57 am
nice job.

i am surprised they went out one at a time like that. i am sure that is normal, just didnt know.

did you ever consider squawking 7600 when you were still getting reception and had already lost one? i ask this not--in a critical manner--but because at this point i would like to know: if the lost comms squawk code should supersede the center code. would they rather know where you are as long as possible, or if you have a radio problem.

sounds like you threw a whole lot of luck out of your flight bag and replaced it with a whole lot of experience. congrats again.

It happened so quick, and I suppose the #2 radio still lit up  after the 430 screen going out initially had me convinced that it just my 430 screen had gone out, because at this time I could still hear radio transmission and I was still on #1, and evidently they heard or at least partially heard me.  Then when I decided there was no way for me to make a frequency change (which was what they were asking me to do) with no visible digits, and #2 radio still lit up, I was focused on getting back in contact with center by getting the their frequency dialed up on #2.  And I still believed it was strictly an avionics issue.   
Before I could get that done, #2 went out.  And before I could process it all to make my next move, the transponder went out.

My Av shop guy said that is what happens, radios start dropping one at a time.

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on January 17, 2013, 09:07:50 am
It happened so quick, and I suppose the #2 radio still lit up  after the 430 screen going out initially had me convinced that it just my 430 screen had gone out, because at this time I could still hear radio transmission and I was still on #1, and evidently they heard or at least partially heard me.  Then when I decided there was no way for me to make a frequency change (which was what they were asking me to do) with no visible digits, and #2 radio still lit up, I was focused on getting back in contact with center by getting the their frequency dialed up on #2.  And I still believed it was strictly an avionics issue.   
Before I could get that done, #2 went out.  And before I could process it all to make my next move, the transponder went out.

My Av shop guy said that is what happens, radios start dropping one at a time.

good deal... i guess that makes sense... the 430 obviously draws/needs more power...

how glad are you its not an avionics issue ;D

Once again, great job.

GusMcRae

Quote from: gotyacovered on January 17, 2013, 09:34:33 am
good deal... i guess that makes sense... the 430 obviously draws/needs more power...

how glad are you its not an avionics issue ;D

Once again, great job.

Well, I guess I was hoping for a bad circuit breakers,,, something simple.  LOL.
Not sure how much this is going to be if we convert from generator to an alternator, but it's not going to be cheap either.   

Thanks.  I'll think about it and talk to some folks to see what I might have done different.
I probably should have got on the ground quicker instead of going as far as I did.  I should have realized sooner that it was the generator, thus conserving enough juice to operate flaps. 
I know I'll be staring at the ammeter and studying it a lot more in the future.

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on January 17, 2013, 09:47:07 am
Well, I guess I was hoping for a bad circuit breakers,,, something simple.  LOL.
Not sure how much this is going to be if we convert from generator to an alternator, but it's not going to be cheap either.   

Thanks.  I'll think about it and talk to some folks to see what I might have done different.
I probably should have got on the ground quicker instead of going as far as I did.  I should have realized sooner that it was the generator, thus conserving enough juice to operate flaps. 
I know I'll be staring at the ammeter and studying it a lot more in the future.

because of emergency scenarios i ordered a new surecheck checklist for myself... i wanted more detail than my current checklist had for power out stuff and have been looking. i started making my own when someone told me about these... i'll report back.

a few weeks ago, on my way back from Baton Rouge i was on short final rwy 4 at KTXK and somehow accidentally hit my map light switch (that wasnt on) with my left elbow and all the lights in the panel went full bright. wasnt a huge deal b/c the conditions were perfect and as i touched down they went back to the original settings but it got me to thinking and after i shut down i started looking thru my checklist for electrical emergency and there wasn't much detail and it was written in very small so i decided to rethink my checklist situation. (yes i still use a checklist religiously)

had the wx conditions been different and viz was limited, it would probably have been a go around situation.

Here is the check list i ordered: http://www.surecheck.net/aircraft-checklists/checklists-full/cessna/cessna-182l-m-full-checklist/

if i dont like it or it doesn't meet my expectations i am going to resume making my own... shooting for something like you see the military use.

rnclittlerock

January 23, 2013, 09:51:22 pm #85 Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 08:11:11 am by rnclittlerock
That got me thinking, my brother owns a sign shop, we could all get together and have him make us some spiffy checklists, replacement placards, etc.  He can print on anything in full color weatherproof ink, also has a laser engraving machine.

If we had 4 or 5 of us together we could keep him busy for a week or so and get this stuff a lot cheaper than other shops advertise.

Anyone else interested in that?

Flying Razorback

January 25, 2013, 11:38:04 am #86 Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 12:36:09 pm by FlyingRzrbkAF
NORDO while VFR in VMC isn't as big of an emergency but definitely isn't going to be fun.  Especially if you are in controlled airspace.  NORDO while operating IFR and especially if operating in IMC is an emergency.  Any of you guys that are chasing your instrument ratings need to constantly read and review the NORDO procedures for while you are operating IFR.  Always remember the AVE-FAME checklist of Assigned Route, Vectored Route, Expected Route, and (Highest of these) Filed Altitude, Assigned Altitude, Minimum Altitude (MIA), and Expected Altitude.

When I was an instructor we spent more time going over NORDO conditions and electrical conditions while operating IFR in IMC than any other problem.  Remember that electrical conditions are cumulative and you have to remember your minimum equipment necessary and where your big power drains are.  We always memorize what major equipment is driven by which power source and is on which electrical bus.  Whenever questioning my students I wanted to know what was available with only one generator online, no generators online, loss of one AC power source, loss of two AC power sources, emergency battery power bus, and standby battery power bus.

Electrical malfunctions and NORDO conditions can be the most dangerous.  Especially in IMC.  If you are in VMC, whether IFR or VFR, the first thing out of your brain when experiencing an electrical problem or NORDO should be "Attempt to maintain VMC to the max extent possible."  The next should be a quick diagnosis of the possible problem, what equipment you have lost, what equipment will be lost next, and what equipment you can afford to turn off to save power.  Next it's always best to land as soon as practical.  That's where the wide interpretation is.  Remember your light signals for landing if you are NORDO and if you HAVE to land at a towered field remember the ways to signal them that you are NORDO and intend to land.

I could talk about this stuff all day.  I love it.  This was my job for about 4 years.

GusMcRae

Good stuff FRzbkAF. 
I had the chance to eat supper with and discuss my minor crisis with my CFI and his retired ATC wife.  In retrospect, I just wanted to know what I should have done different.
They said I should have figured out sooner that it was the alternator that went out, not avionics as I got locked into thinking.  Had I figured it out sooner, I might could have saved enough juice to operate transponder and flaps.  CFI went on to say that when he's in a small plane, he only uses the nav lights and beacon when it's hazy, cloudy, near sundown or after sundown.  Said they suck a lot of battery.  He flies a Cessna Conquest commercially for a family, and with it he does use nav lights all the time, just not in small single engine planes suche as mine.  Had I figured it out earlier, I could have killed the 430 and just used the #2 radio.
CFI's wife said that me utilizing my resources and contacting her was a good thing.  And if I had needed to get on the ground sooner, I could have utilized the texting to get a message relayed through her to my airport of choice, given them my ETA and that I was without radios and transponder.   
All in all what I did was ok, but had some room for improvement.  Definitely a learning experience. As I said somewhere, I will be studying that ammeter more from now on, and I should know exactly what's going on the next time I have an alternator go out. 

rnclittlerock

I was fairly proud of myself during my electrical failure otw home from SoCal.  Wasn't a complete failure, but it was middle of nowhere in west TX.  Lost transponder, one comm, and the oil temp and fuel guages.

Going back to the watch thread I started, that's why I won't be without one again.

When we lost the fuel gauges the CFI with me instantly said "how much we got?  When do we switch tanks?"

All right there on the chrono on my watch.  "We switched at hour 1, switching again at hour 3 will put us on even tanks to land at hour 4".