Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Your Best Wms Memories?

Started by Hogmiser, September 06, 2012, 02:52:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgWild

Quote from: LedZepHog on September 06, 2012, 10:33:49 pm
And who could forget the Rice game in 1980...lost 17-16.  The next day, Holtz started his show..........."Welcome to the Lou Holtz show.  Unfortunately, I'm Lou Holtz".

That was better that Hatfield's "Jesus wept." scripture opening after the Miami thumping we took.

greghog

1971 - Texas game.  I was 8 years old.  You still wore "Sunday" clothes to games back then and I was dressed up.  It rained and rained.  I refused to leave until the end of the game.  And, most importantly, the Hogs won!

I remember Texas had a cannon they fired off.  They fired it off and it made one of their lineman jump and they got a penalty.  At 8 years old, that was one of the funnest things I had ever seen.

Tim

Quote from: greghog on September 07, 2012, 12:20:26 pm
1971 - Texas game.  I was 8 years old.  You still wore "Sunday" clothes to games back then and I was dressed up.  It rained and rained.  I refused to leave until the end of the game.  And, most importantly, the Hogs won!

Help me out here. You were 8 years old. If the people you were with had left and you had stayed, what the hell were you gonna do?

I mean, you were 8. What does it mean that you refused to leave until the end of the game?

Pretty sure if your father, mother, guardian, whomever had said "Greghog, we're going home" then greghog would have been going home.

greghog

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on September 07, 2012, 11:51:27 am
You are proably thinking about '76. When Houston entered the conference, causing the whole schedule to re-shuffle, we had A&M at WMS two years in a row. Pretty sure it snowed or sleeted in '76.  Hog lost.

In 1975, the Hogs played Tulane at Barton in BBall about noon, and A&M in the evening at WMS. The weather was nice.

Pretty sure it was cold both years.  I was 12 in 1975 and chose (stupidly) not to go because it was supposed to be so cold and with all our injuries, didn't think we had a shot.  My mother still gives me grief about that decision

Hawg Balling

Quote from: Tim on September 07, 2012, 12:34:52 pm
Help me out here. You were 8 years old. If the people you were with had left and you had stayed, what the hell were you gonna do?

I mean, you were 8. What does it mean that you refused to leave until the end of the game?

Pretty sure if your father, mother, guardian, whomever had said "Greghog, we're going home" then greghog would have been going home.

He never said they left and he stayed, champ.

greghog

Quote from: Tim on September 07, 2012, 12:34:52 pm

I am sure if my dad had said, "we are leaving" I would have left, as you said.  But my dad still tells the story and still talks about how I wouldn't leave.  As I recall everyone else wanted to leave, I said no, and they didn't force the issue.

Tim

Quote from: Hawg Balling on September 07, 2012, 12:47:06 pm
He never said they left and he stayed, champ.
Clearly.

He said "I refused to leave."

I refused a lot of things when I was 8 years old. It never worked out for me.

Hawg Balling

Quote from: Tim on September 07, 2012, 12:48:26 pm
Clearly.

He said "I refused to leave."

I refused a lot of things when I was 8 years old. It never worked out for me.

Posting isn't working out for you, either.

HawgFan70

Its a tie for me....

91 Texas was one of the great moments to be a Razorback fan

98 Kentucky was amazing we were sitting by the kentucky fans and at half they were so cocky it was sickening. The 2nd half was the most exciting half of football I've ever watched in person. The stadium was shaking like a earthquake
being smited is a sign of having a backbone and not joining in with lil smiter gangs, fire away kids

HogInFlorida

Quote from: Mike Irwin on June 12, 2013, 09:18:52 pm
I'd rather be hit over the head with a brick than have to revisit the memories of those seven awful months with coach "Smile" in charge.

HogInFlorida

LSU 2010. Mallett to Hamilton with 6 seconds left in the half.

"Surely he's just gonna take a knee and end it here."

My favorite game I've ever been to in my short life.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on June 12, 2013, 09:18:52 pm
I'd rather be hit over the head with a brick than have to revisit the memories of those seven awful months with coach "Smile" in charge.

sooieet

Seeing the Hog helmets cruising the field.

Polecat

The last time Houston Nutt ever coached the Razorbacks there. "Daylight to exhaustion", my rear end. Good riddance
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

DeltaBoy

Early 1980s Hogs shut down Napolen McCallum of Navy Heisman hopes.
1990 Billy Grahams Crusade ! I worked as a Usher at the event.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: greghog on September 07, 2012, 12:46:11 pm
Pretty sure it was cold both years.  I was 12 in 1975 and chose (stupidly) not to go because it was supposed to be so cold and with all our injuries, didn't think we had a shot.  My mother still gives me grief about that decision

I cannot say for sure. But seems like the next day in the newspapers, in the picture of Broyles leaving the field, he did not even have a windbreaker on. Had a kinda long-sleeved golf shirt on. 

Razzorduck

Some spare game back in '81 or '82 when I proposed to the gal that stood me up 1 month before the wedding. All my good memories are in the real stadium.
Of course I have not been to a home game since '83.
I watched the greatness of Holtz and Sutton

greghog

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on September 07, 2012, 01:30:24 pm
I cannot say for sure. But seems like the next day in the newspapers, in the picture of Broyles leaving the field, he did not even have a windbreaker on. Had a kinda long-sleeved golf shirt on. 

You are probably right.  Trying to remember that far back is very difficult.  I know I  chose not to go to that game, and went in 1976 when they kicked our butts!

But I did attend the 1971, 1979 and 1981 (in Fayetteville) Texas games, I thought I was our good luck charm for a while!  At that point those were the only Texas games I had attended and we won all three.  (we played Texas in Fayetteville in '73, '75 and '77, I didn't start attending games in Fayetteville until '79)

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: greghog on September 07, 2012, 02:20:59 pm
You are probably right.  Trying to remember that far back is very difficult.  I know I  chose not to go to that game, and went in 1976 when they kicked our butts!

But I did attend the 1971, 1979 and 1981 (in Fayetteville) Texas games, I thought I was our good luck charm for a while!  At that point those were the only Texas games I had attended and we won all three.  (we played Texas in Fayetteville in '73, '75 and '77, I didn't start attending games in Fayetteville until '79)

You obviously WERE our good luck charm. The three you attended were our only wins against the Horns in a 19-year stretch.

panhandlepig

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on September 07, 2012, 02:36:05 pm
You obviously WERE our good luck charm. The three you attended were our only wins against the Horns in a 19-year stretch.

I just hope greghog will be at the Alabama game..couldn't hurt.

rzrbak_chic09

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 06, 2012, 03:09:27 pm
2002, Matt Jones to Decori Birmingham in the original Miracle on Markham.

definitely my favorite WMS memory.

Virgil

September 07, 2012, 02:44:08 pm #120 Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 02:47:12 pm by Virgil
The Miracle on Markham was both my best and worst memory. 

I'm a paraplegic and back then there where only a few handicapped stalls to use.  I had some stomach issues and went to use one of  handicapped stalls they have and someone had shemped all over it.  Since I had no other place to go to use the restroom, I ended up shemping all over myself.  Anyways I told the ex wife I was going to go home and clean up.  When I got back the game was in the middle of the 4th quatter so I hadn't missed much.  I caught all the rest of the action and the rest is history.  So even though it started out as a horrible experience it ended up being a great one.  :-)
It's not what you push but what pushes you!!

hawgwild child

I forget which game it was, had a few to drink.  But Michael grant had 3 int's, Im thinking it actually was ULM, some team along those lines

bosshog84

Miracle on Markham 2002 when we drove 80 yards down the field in 34 seconds to steal one from the Tigers and reserve a spot in Atlanta. You can actually see me in a camera angle right behind the Birmingham catch. I was 5 rows up from the end zone. I will never forget that moment for the rest of my life! I've never seen a crowd go from gloom and doom to ecstatic so fast in my life! Just amazing!

Sonny Atkins

Texas was Number 2 in the country came into WMS with 10 year winning streak against us. I was 13 year old and the only way into the game was to sell cokes. The first game I saw in person I sold cokes till the start of the 4th quarter when we were up 17-7 turned in my coke tray and watched the Longhorns leave 17-14 losers. Priceless!!!!!

Sow Lancelot

Two, both kicks.

1.  1981, Bruce Lahay to beat Baylor 41-39 with only a few seconds left.

2.  Year?, Carlos Hall blocks a SC field goal to preserve the win.  I was with the recruits during this one, having brought one of our players down; talk about a celebration.
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

oreo

Does anyone remember the halftime show Rice put on at WMS that last SWC season? That was fun and yes, all our X'es live in Texas.

TeedupHigh

being robbed at gun point after the game at the dump!

The Slop Nazi

The '89 shootout with Grovey vs Ware.  4 full qtrs of NOBODY sitting down.