Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Boyd=McFadden

Started by checkraiser88, January 22, 2018, 09:47:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

checkraiser88

Looking at the new RB commit and I see some similarites between the 2.

hawgfan4life

Me too!  They both wear football uniforms and play RB.  Similarities end there for now.

Flrazrback

Those are some mighty big cleats to fill. D-Mac is Razorback Royalty..

TexHog188

He runs a bit upright, it's hard for defenders to judge the right angle, and he wears number five. But no way does he have D-Mac's stiff arm, burst, or flat out speed. But I hope I'm proven wrong. Glad to have him, he looks like a great back.
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

Hawgphat

Does anyone have any in-depth background info, stats and expert analysis reports on Boyd?  I don't know anything about him.

xxtomassxx1980

I was thinking more of a Felix Jones type.

RockyMtnHog

Quote from: TexHog188 on January 22, 2018, 10:31:26 pm
He runs a bit upright, it's hard for defenders to judge the right angle, and he wears number five. But no way does he have D-Mac's stiff arm, burst, or flat out speed. But I hope I'm proven wrong. Glad to have him, he looks like a great back.

D-Mac had that gear that when he hit it no one was catching him.  A very rare gear that most RBs do not have.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

RME

LZH

HogBeliever625

Boyd isn't 6'2 220 and runs a 4.3. I like him tho

RME

Quote from: LZH on January 22, 2018, 10:57:46 pm
Ha! Hey, we're bored.

Oh don't I know it!

Hey don't get me wrong, I'm all for Boyd winning the Walter Camp award, multiple Doak Walker awards, multiple SEC Player of the Year awards, and finishing 2nd in Heisman voting twice.

But again: Good Lord.

Actually, ya know...Cole Kelley and Tim Tebow have some similarities...

WBOBO

Does he wear 501 on his sleeve?
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

murthage

January 22, 2018, 11:18:31 pm #12 Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 11:37:59 pm by murthage
Article from 247 Sports  ..... watch video. He DOES remind me of McFadden, he seems to have that gear that allows him to pass the defenders while creating a lot of separation.  Like McFadden in the LSU game.

Arkansas lands one of the nation's top JUCO running backs

https://247sports.com/Article/Preview-Elite-Georgia-Showcase-expecting-talent-from-several-regions-114085855

WBOBO

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 22, 2018, 11:00:49 pm
Oh don't I know it!

Hey don't get me wrong, I'm all for Boyd winning the Walter Camp award, multiple Doak Walker awards, multiple SEC Player of the Year awards, and finishing 2nd in Heisman voting twice.

But again: Good Lord.

Actually, ya know...Cole Kelley and Tim Tebow have some similarities...
Please don't mention Tebow and Dmac in the same conversation
please.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

Mjs84

We should be excited about this player and welcome him as hog! 

RME

Quote from: WBOBO on January 22, 2018, 11:20:26 pm
please.

;)

bennyl08

Quote from: checkraiser88 on January 22, 2018, 09:47:42 pm

He runs an electronically verified 4.59 forty time.

He does have a good stiff arm like Dmac and is mostly a N-S runner which Dmac was as well. I'd say this guy is a lot more like a Whaley than Dmac. Admittedly, I compared Whaley to a slower version of Dmac when Devwah was being recruited, so I can't fault you too much here.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

bennyl08

http://www.hudl.com/profile/1604222/Rakeem-Boyd

Height & Weight: 5'11" 200lbs
Nike Football Rating: 98.43
40 Yard Dash: 4.59
Shuttle: 4.47
Vertical: 33
Powerball: 38
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

azhog10

He's reminding me more of Petrino every day. Probably a better recruiter, maybe not quite the playcaller. Add that we have Chavis as dC and this may just be a perfect marriage. I think chavis wants to prove people wrong after the TAMU debacle.

MissippHog

Does he bring dat wood?

Hoggish1

Absolutely.  I don't know what some of you guys are refusing to see.  That's one hell of a back with quite a few DMac similarities!

Hoggish1

Quote from: MissippHog on January 23, 2018, 01:05:12 am
Does he bring dat wood?

Watch his tape.  IF he's trapped he will make a DB or safety pay for getting in his way!

trphog

twistitup

Does he bring the wood?

I need to see a pic of his car...then we can talk
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

GuvHog

please.

Agreed. Cole Kelley has a cannon for an arm. Tebow was not very good passing the ball.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

jimmiewkersh

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 23, 2018, 12:17:10 am

After watching his "Highlight" video, one thing you do notice is when he runs North South between the Hashes, he has a burst.  When he runs between the numbers he is still powerful.  Not sure he has the East West speed in the SEC to get to the corner and turn it.  If he does, then Woe Nelly, Bar the Door and Touchdown Arkansas.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

I don't see it *shrugs*
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

steveaustin69

Quote from: hawgfan4life on January 22, 2018, 09:56:12 pm
Me too!  They both wear football uniforms and play RB.  Similarities end there for now.

Big if true.

steveaustin69

Quote from: azhog10 on January 23, 2018, 12:32:48 am
He's reminding me more of Petrino every day. Probably a better recruiter, maybe not quite the playcaller. Add that we have Chavis as dC and this may just be a perfect marriage. I think chavis wants to prove people wrong after the TAMU debacle.

Wrong thread?

redleg

Boyd reminds me more of Fred Talley. Felix was much faster, going by Boyd's listed 40-time.
Any comparison to D-Mac is silly.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

MissippHog

Quote from: Hoggish1 on January 23, 2018, 06:35:11 am
Watch his tape.  IF he's trapped he will make a DB or safety pay for getting in his way!
I watched his tape.  Good looking back and I'm excited that we have him.  But I'm not convinced he's on Run DMc's level.  That's not a knock on Boyd in any way because very few have shown the power and speed McFadden did at the college level.

The_Iceman

IronHog

They are both throwback, upright runners that cut then accelerate  through the hole......both excell as off tackle runners.

Don't expect Boyd to have once a decade type burst or overall football ability like DMac.  However Boyd does show some nice vision and feel for the cutback lanes.....that was never McFaddens strong point.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Letsroll1200

They're showing what a quality staff can do at Arkansas. Good start.

Cotton

please.
Too soon bro. Have some dignity  :'(
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Nashville Fan

January 23, 2018, 08:28:23 am #35 Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 02:15:12 pm by Nashville Fan
Let the man carry the ball in a game before promoting him for the Heisman for two years in a row.
Pittman or Bust!

Cotton

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 23, 2018, 12:17:10 am

Anybody got DMAC's measurables handy?

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Hog Fan...DOH!

I still don't think some folks understand how good D-Mac really was...

oldhawg

Quote from: IronHog on January 23, 2018, 08:25:16 am

Don't expect Boyd to have once a decade type burst or overall football ability like DMac.

It's been ten years since DMac played for the Razorbacks.  :)

steveaustin69

Quote from: Cotton on January 23, 2018, 08:29:57 am
Anybody got DMAC's measurables handy?

6'2" 210 ran a 4.33 at the combine. He may not have done the other drills because it's not listed on the NFL combine website, but he had a 128 inch broad jump.  Byron Jones set the NFL Combine record with a 145 inch broad jump for reference. The average broad jump of RBs at the combine is 118 per this site: http://nflsavant.com/combine.php. So in short DMac had elite NFL top end speed and above average NFL explosiveness. Aside from running style (a little upright) I'm not seeing the comparison.

arkansas proud77

boyd ran a 22.5. 200 meter dash in track.  I Think devwah ran a 23.75.  So he has some speed.

IronHog

Quote from: oldhawg on January 23, 2018, 08:37:50 am
It's been ten years since DMac played for the Razorbacks.  :)

Once a decade type talent nationally

DMac, Adrian Peterson, Cam Newton all decade type players that are exceedingly rare.

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Let me preface this with saying I am THRILLED to have Boyd join the Hogs...
That being said,
McFadden > Boyd
If at first you don't succeed,
then skydiving is not for you...

intoxhog

Actually his running  style kind of reminded me of Cedric Cobbs a little bit.
Politicians and diapers should be changed frequently and all for the same reason. ~José Maria de Eça de Queiroz

Cotton

Quote from: steveaustin69 on January 23, 2018, 08:39:09 am
6'2" 210 ran a 4.33 at the combine. He may not have done the other drills because it's not listed on the NFL combine website, but he had a 128 inch broad jump.  Byron Jones set the NFL Combine record with a 145 inch broad jump for reference. The average broad jump of RBs at the combine is 118 per this site: http://nflsavant.com/combine.php. So in short DMac had elite NFL top end speed and above average NFL explosiveness. Aside from running style (a little upright) I'm not seeing the comparison.
End Thread.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

hvsupastar

McFadden is the sole reason the horse collar tackle is now illegal.  I would almost bet money that if McFadden was put into a lab they could trace his injury prone pro career back to how much repetitive damage his feet and ankles took in college as a result of the horse collar.  Why did he get horse collared all the time?  Because he had elite speed combined with elite power and that was the only was the only way many could catch him and get him down.

I don't see that out of Boyd but I see plenty of talent for him to be his own man.
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

liljo

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on January 23, 2018, 08:36:42 am
I still don't think some folks understand how good D-Mac really was...

Man, was he ever. Big, incredibly fast, physical, with a mean streak. He ran with violence.

And, in high school...In high school it simply wasn't fair to the other kids. Mommas worried in the stands 'bout their children getting run through by this blurry monster. I remember being so excited when he chose the Hogs. Forget the cutback lanes. Just get aimed north and don't stop till you reach the tunnel.
Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

IronHog

Quote from: liljo on January 23, 2018, 09:14:30 am
Man, was he ever. Big, incredibly fast, physical, with a mean streak. He ran with violence.

And, in high school...In high school it simply wasn't fair to the other kids. Mommas worried in the stands 'bout their children getting run through by this blurry monster. I remember being so excited when he chose the Hogs. Forget the cutback lanes. Just get aimed north and don't stop till you reach the tunnel.

He and Melvin Bradley should have been outlawed by the AAA as too dangerous.

McFadden was actually a HOF safety playing RB. 

oldhawg

Quote from: IronHog on January 23, 2018, 08:49:13 am
Once a decade type talent nationally

DMac, Adrian Peterson, Cam Newton all decade type players that are exceedingly rare.

Eric Dickerson was one of my favorites to watch play, even if he was a pony.  Had that acceleration that folks talk about in DMac.

Cotton

Quote from: liljo on January 23, 2018, 09:14:30 am

I watched him play basketball a few times in high school as well. Lane cleared out real fast when DMac was driving.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX