Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Beautiful Flying weather lately,,,

Started by GusMcRae, March 16, 2015, 10:33:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GusMcRae

so I know someone has bound to have been flying, so there must be something to talk about on here.  Weather has been absolutely gorgeous.  Usually when we have a mild March in regard to high wind, we make up for it in April. 

I flew Wednesday and Sunday, first I've flown since my IFR checkride on 2/25.  Filed IFR both ways both trips.  Fairly uneventful, did hear ATC talking to a plane with an emergency yesterday, smoke in the cockpit, that was about the most exciting thing that was out of the ordinary. 

Anyone else been anywhere? 
It ain't dieing I'm talking about Woodrow,,,, It's living!

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

Flying Razorback

It was terrible here for about 3 straight weeks.  We had a ton of training flights cancelled.  The only good day last week was Wednesday and I was able to get out and get 4 hours in and we got about 28 approaches and patterns in at night.  We saw clear skies and got as much as we could.  Monday and Tuesday were beautiful this week, and hopefully the next two days are great too. 

Crossing my fingers for next week so I can get back up and get some work in.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

Pistol Pete

Well, my brother flew some Monday. He went to the new Conway AR airport KCXW... All concrete, very nice FBO, just recently opened. Next good flying day and I'll head up there.

Flying Razorback

I've heard its nice and need to check it out sometime.  The only bad thing about it is that it took out a run up the river for us and takes away one last timing cutoff for us to use when getting to our drop zone.  We can't just barrel through there anymore trying to make up time if we're behind.

GusMcRae

I need to fly to go look at a piece of farm equipment I'm considering purchasing,,, it's in BFE.
I laughed when I saw that airport identifier, almost as much as I did the first time I saw KLIT.   ;D
It ain't dieing I'm talking about Woodrow,,,, It's living!

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

Flying Razorback

Quote from: GusMcRae on March 19, 2015, 09:10:48 am
I need to fly to go look at a piece of farm equipment I'm considering purchasing,,, it's in BFE.
I laughed when I saw that airport identifier, almost as much as I did the first time I saw KLIT.   ;D

Everyone laughed pretty hard when KLIT was renamed to "Bill and Hillary Clinton".  Seemed to appropriate for ole Bill.

Flying Razorback

Flying some formation tonight, I didn't like the forecast looking forward from last weekend but it looks like this weather is going to hold out until after midnight and I should be able to get some good training complete tonight.

Flying Razorback

Beat the storms last night, but man it was wild looking to the north and northwest of Central Arkansas.  The River Valley and Little Rock area were clear through midnight so I was able to get my stuff done.

Lots and lots of cloud to ground lightning up north and northwest though.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Flying Razorback on March 26, 2015, 10:44:58 am
Beat the storms last night, but man it was wild looking to the north and northwest of Central Arkansas.  The River Valley and Little Rock area were clear through midnight so I was able to get my stuff done.

Lots and lots of cloud to ground lightning up north and northwest though.
I guess it's obvious from your avatar, but do you fly 130s here in Jacksonville? I can hear engines turning over right now over at the base. Those bastards fly right over my house on downwind.

I got to ride shotgun up to Dubuque on our king air a couple weeks ago. Turned down some stick time to try for some sleep since we left LIT at 0430

Flying Razorback

Quote from: theFlyingHog on March 27, 2015, 12:54:54 am
I guess it's obvious from your avatar, but do you fly 130s here in Jacksonville? I can hear engines turning over right now over at the base. Those bastards fly right over my house on downwind.

I got to ride shotgun up to Dubuque on our king air a couple weeks ago. Turned down some stick time to try for some sleep since we left LIT at 0430

I sure do.  I love being able to do this in my home state.  The night lines normally stay out until between 12 and 2 AM.  If you're under the downwind you get to hear plenty of "freedom" around 10:30 PM and later every night.

Thank you for letting us do what we do.  It takes community support to keep us here. 

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Flying Razorback on March 27, 2015, 07:03:06 am

I sure do.  I love being able to do this in my home state.  The night lines normally stay out until between 12 and 2 AM.  If you're under the downwind you get to hear plenty of "freedom" around 10:30 PM and later every night.

Thank you for letting us do what we do.  It takes community support to keep us here.
It's funny how a 130 flying over at 1500'(?) becomes normal. Just don't take any pics this summer when we're in the pool  ;)

Flying Razorback

Quote from: theFlyingHog on March 27, 2015, 12:10:30 pm
It's funny how a 130 flying over at 1500'(?) becomes normal. Just don't take any pics this summer when we're in the pool  ;)

Ha!  Looks like I'll have to keep my eye out now!  We come in pretty low perpendicular to the runway at times so I'll be searching the pools!

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Flying Razorback on March 27, 2015, 12:14:15 pm

Ha!  Looks like I'll have to keep my eye out now!  We come in pretty low perpendicular to the runway at times so I'll be searching the pools!
Looks like I'm about on a 45 from the approach end of 7, to the south.

Flying Razorback

This rainy season has been great for my garden, but terrible for flying.  Hope everyone is getting some quality IFR in and avoiding the embedded thunderstorms.