Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

KSUZ Based Twin Cessna down (KFTT) all survived 11172014

Started by gotyacovered, November 19, 2014, 02:57:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gotyacovered

You are what you tolerate.

bvillepig

It is registered as a 1969 Cessna 401A.

The 401 402 series twin is close to a 340 but they are non-pressurized. Seat's easily come out to turn them into freight haulers.

I wish the pilots and families a speedy recovery. Not to speculate but it appears that the problem happened on the takeoff. Absolute worst time for a twin.

gotyacovered

Quote from: bvillepig on November 19, 2014, 03:58:46 pm
It is registered as a 1969 Cessna 401A.

The 401 402 series twin is close to a 340 but they are non-pressurized. Seat's easily come out to turn them into freight haulers.

I wish the pilots and families a speedy recovery. Not to speculate but it appears that the problem happened on the takeoff. Absolute worst time for a twin.

Seems like if it's not producing the power, than abort... non-event. Hope there's more to the story than pilot error/bad judgement. Doesn't sound like an engine out... (To me)

QuotePolice said the pilot told emergency crews the plane did not have enough power to get off the runway during takeoff.

Pistol Pete

Hmmm, I know 2 of them pretty well, Ted and Mike, both have helicopters as well. They have Thursday night steak dinners at their hangar. I haven't been out to the airport to find out what's going on, I'll give it a little time and let y'all know what the inside scoop is.

gotyacovered

Prelim's out.... Bad deal. Worst place for multi engine plane to lose one, handles that and then can't get'er stopped. Word I heard was they were headed to look at a new plane.

http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief.aspx?ev_id=20141118X30503&key=1

QuoteNTSB Identification: CEN15LA050
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Monday, November 17, 2014 in Fulton, MO
Aircraft: CESSNA 401A, registration: N401ME
Injuries: 3 Serious.
This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed. NTSB investigators may have traveled in support of this investigation and used data provided by various sources to prepare this aircraft accident report.

On November 17, 2014, about 1720 central daylight time, a Cessna 401A, multi-engine airplane, N401ME, was substantially damaged after impacting terrain following a loss of engine power during takeoff at Elton Hensley Memorial Airport (FTT), Fulton, Missouri. The two pilots and the passenger all sustained serious injuries. The airplane was registered to and operated by Heartland Air, LLC; Mablelvale, Arkansas. Evening dusk visual meteorological conditions (VMC) prevailed at the time of the accident and an instrument flight rules (IFR) flight plan had been filed for the 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 business flight. The intended destination was Memorial Field Airport (HOT), Hot Springs, Arkansas.

Emergency responders reported that one of the pilots told them that immediately after takeoff he had lost engine power and he aborted the takeoff. When the pilot saw he would not be able to stop on the runway he shut down the opposite engine. The airplane exited the end of the runway surface, impacted rough terrain, and came to rest upright. At least one fuel tank was breached and there was an immediate smell of fuel at the scene however there was no postimpact fire. Several witnesses called 9-1-1 emergency and ran to the wreckage location to provide aid to the three injured persons.

At 1653 the automated weather observing system at Columbia Regional Airport (COU), Columbia, Missouri, located about 10 miles west from the accident location, reported wind from 290 degrees at 19 knots gusting to 24 knots, visibility of 10 miles, scattered clouds at 5,000 feet, temperature minus 7 degrees Celsius (C), dew point minus 17 degrees C, with an altimeter setting of 30.20 inches of Mercury. Sundown occurred at 1653 and the end of evening civil twilight occurred at 1721.
Index for Nov2014 | Index of months

Pistol Pete

I don't know how that particular airplane flies on one engine upon takeoff... But, I've heard of so many trying to climb out on one engine then nose planting shortly thereafter. Sounds like they may have made the right call.

I know an older man in Shreveport that's had several Barons. He did the same thing with one of his. The sky is not your friend in that situation, neither is the ground, but it's the lesser of two evils. The only time you actually have control of what you'll hit.

gotyacovered

Quote from: Pistol Pete on November 28, 2014, 08:10:43 am
I don't know how that particular airplane flies on one engine upon takeoff... But, I've heard of so many trying to climb out on one engine then nose planting shortly thereafter. Sounds like they may have made the right call.

I know an older man in Shreveport that's had several Barons. He did the same thing with one of his. The sky is not your friend in that situation, neither is the ground, but it's the lesser of two evils. The only time you actually have control of what you'll hit.

I'm not sure he ever got off the ground and 4000 wasn't enough real estate to get'er stopped

Pistol Pete

Update: lost an engine at rotation, it wouldn't climb, set it down, ran off the end of the runway, hit first embankment that ripped the landing gear off and got the airplane slightly airborn, hit second embankment and came to a sudden stop.
Ted Byrd broke his back, has feeling and now trying to learn how to walk.
Mike Ford broke his back, will not walk again.
Other passenger was in the back of the airplane, he'll be ok.

Not sure all those details are completely accurate, but pretty sure it's close.

john c

The front seats apparently are not so safe in most light aircraft.  Really too bad about these guys' back injuries.  In the Saratoga accident on the other thread their energy momentum was dissipated considerably by the trees when they hit and, possibly, the flat spinning and friction along the ground - still considerable energy left at the final stop, though.  The Twin Cessna had more momentum and thus more energy to deal damage but with less favorable ground impediments to absorb that energy.  I'm guessing that the aircraft hit the second embankment more direct than skipping.  Really a shame to be able to get things under such control after engine loss and still end up with the disabling injuries - not that they aren't thankful to be alive.

When I remodeled my 182Q, we put in new front seats that were supposed to absorb high levels of g forces.  They had that foam in them that has a strong memory and forms around you a little.  One of those things that how would you know if it was beneficial.  Was more for a flat vertical impact  - not much help if you hit a mountain face first.  They were very comfortable but raised the seat height enough to cause a little loss in side visibility.

Hope Byrd regains full use.  Hope Ford finds fulfillment in what he can do.

Pistol Pete

One thing I failed to mention and I'm not sure it's accurate, but it does explain one thing.
Mike Ford broke his sternum as well. They think the yoke hit his chest. Evidently the 69 model airplane doesn't have shoulder harnesses. That's what I was told...

Teds last name is Berg, my bad. I don't know him quite as well as Mike Ford, Mike has flown me around in his R44, let me fly it too.

gotyacovered

Quote from: john c on December 17, 2014, 01:30:48 pm
The front seats apparently are not so safe in most light aircraft.  Really too bad about these guys' back injuries.  In the Saratoga accident on the other thread their energy momentum was dissipated considerably by the trees when they hit and, possibly, the flat spinning and friction along the ground - still considerable energy left at the final stop, though.  The Twin Cessna had more momentum and thus more energy to deal damage but with less favorable ground impediments to absorb that energy.  I'm guessing that the aircraft hit the second embankment more direct than skipping.  Really a shame to be able to get things under such control after engine loss and still end up with the disabling injuries - not that they aren't thankful to be alive.

When I remodeled my 182Q, we put in new front seats that were supposed to absorb high levels of g forces.  They had that foam in them that has a strong memory and forms around you a little.  One of those things that how would you know if it was beneficial.  Was more for a flat vertical impact  - not much help if you hit a mountain face first.  They were very comfortable but raised the seat height enough to cause a little loss in side visibility.

Hope Byrd regains full use.  Hope Ford finds fulfillment in what he can do.

For all three to break their backs, there was some serious forces at work.

The fact that thing couldn't climb SE with 3 people on board is what would concern me... Man, that's the whole reason for two fans... I understand when they won't grossed out, but... Dang.

john c

The old question is what's the purpose of the second engine on a twin engine piston aircraft?  The answer is take you to the scene of the crash.  Was always a little puckered until the Seneca was about 1500' AGL.

gotyacovered

Quote from: john c on December 18, 2014, 10:19:25 am
The old question is what's the purpose of the second engine on a twin engine piston aircraft?  The answer is take you to the scene of the crash.  Was always a little puckered until the Seneca was about 1500' AGL.

john c... i do understand (with as much understanding as could be had with about 60 MEL dual time) that you can put most light twins in a favorable setup for an engine out after rotation by flying 15-20% under gross and what you can do to make it unfavorable....

question: if they had the seats filled up and fuel, i get it... but will that 401 not climb single engine with three pax? i have to think it was NOT (speculation--why fuel it twice when you can fuel it once) jammed full of fuel(?)

Flying Razorback

Almost all my time is multi engine and it makes me realize how little I know about how to flight multi outside the military.  We can't even start engines to go unless we can lose an engine at rotate speed and make a minimum climb out.  Because of that we wouse instantly hook a check ride if we mentioned setting the plane back down at rotation engine loss during the ground eval.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

john c

The question I understand but the answer is above my pay grade.  Going back to the example of the Seneca, those little 200 hp turbocharged engines were wound out to 220 hp during takeoff with the extra hp limited to about 5 minutes.  I just hate working something really hard.  I think the 401 has turbocharged also.  Just more to go wrong.  If fuel supply was a problem you would think that would help it climb on one engine.  Also, if fuel, he probably would have known that immediately and wouldn't have tried to climb on one.  I checked and the gross wt/hp loading with both engines at max is about 10.5 lbs.  Don't know what his loaded weight was but if knock off 200 lbs each for 4 missing passengers that would leave loaded wt around 6000 to be lifted by 325 hp or around 18 lbs/hp.  Surely, my math must be off somewhere but surely he wasn't at half gross wt at takeoff.  Loaded 182 would be at 13.5 lb/hp.  Again, I must be off somewhere.

Man, oh man, you would really have to be on your toes in that scenario given the speed things would be happening.  As far as we know the pilot did everything just right.

gotyacovered

Would like to know the number to clear a 50' obstacle SE... For that 401... Cross post from red board... One pilot said her duchess can do it in 8000'   :o