Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Morris and staff did a really good job

Started by billmontgomery10, February 07, 2018, 01:19:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

prattville pig

Quote from: trash stache on February 07, 2018, 03:58:14 pm
Didn't say it was his fault.  How many years have we recruited at the bottom of the SEC now?  10? 15? 20?  Been a razorback fan since I was a kid, but man, knowing you are going to be the door mat year in and year out is getting old.  Then every year, like clockwork, the Dem Gaz and whatever sports blog (Rivals whoever) pump us up to sell tickets.  We are not good.  We haven't been good in over 5 years.  With this recruiting class, we are now another 2-3 years behind in recruiting.  Arkansas is in a deep hole.  Where is that foundation BB was building?  Oh wait, we are in the Morris fast lane now.  No one good wants to come here.   
Where do these people come from?
Life's too short to last long.

jabberjawls

Vantage 8 dude

February 09, 2018, 05:03:24 pm #102 Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 08:19:39 pm by Vantage 8 dude
Quote from: jabberjawls on February 09, 2018, 04:38:48 pm
I know i'm pretty excited about a 54th ranked recruiting class.
About as excited as we are to hear yet another one of your negative outlooks on this class ??? I mean is there ANYTHING that CMM and/or this new staff have done thus far of which you actually approve?

elviscat

I totally agree, we hired a winner. Thank you Jerry Jones for your input. We will have a long term relationship with the Texas high school coaches that has been missing for a long time. We will mine the athletes and get our fair share and the program will be on the up tick.

Hogindasticks

I think you would be too if you understood the actual numbers, otherwise you wouldn't have posted this mess.

prattville pig

Where do these people come from?
Life's too short to last long.

bythelake

I've asked myself many times before, 

Where do these people come from?  Scary isn't it?

Lanny likes these types.  Dang.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: bythelake on February 09, 2018, 11:08:13 pm
I've asked myself many times before, 

Where do these people come from?  Scary isn't it?

Lanny likes these types.  Dang.
Hey, They make it interesting...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Hawgphat

I really can't fathom how anyone might have realistically expected Coach Morris and the rest of the new staff to have acquitted themselves in better fashion in terms of quality results than what they have accomplished in this relatively very brief window of opportunity open to them. 

The quality gets border on the miraculous, to my way of thinking.  I'm pumped!

pghawg1

I just don't understand some of you so called fans, its darned if we do and darned if we don't . if you want to worry about the class ranking what would have been if we had signed  Boyd coming out if high school he was a 4 star. Most likely this last young man we signed  Friday would have been rated higher than a 3 star if he were coming out high this year. We signed a PWO in a QB that was first signed by T C U ,how many stars did he have coming out of high school , how about the kicker that is a preferred walk-on also, if we had signed  him out of high school he would be rated.  If those player were on scholarships this class would be ranked a lot higher.

ICEman

Quote from: Pudgepork on February 07, 2018, 01:26:06 pm
2019 recruiting class could move the hops into top 5 SEC teams if...
I think the hops will move regardless of the hogs finish in recruiting.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

GuvHog

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 07, 2018, 05:29:28 pm
Well I will agree with you on one thing: The end result will be the same, no matter what either one of us say. And as far as my being "force-feed" anything that's total crap. I'm not buying into either side as yet. However, as I've said previously, I will wait until the FACTS dictate whether or not this was a good or unwise hire. And THAT will only be seen once he's actually coached and recruited through several years. However, I'm certainly willing to give him the benefit of the doubt as this point.

Well said Vantage. When it was first announced that Morris would be the next Hog football HC, I didn't like the hire AT ALL. Then I read up on the guy, Listened to him talk to the media and his players, and I began to realize that maybe, just maybe Arkansas had found their "Diamond in the Rough". Yeah this class, which now includes Dorian Gerald, is ranked low but there are legit reasons why and none of those reasons have anything to do with the quality of the class. Though short in numbers due to a limited number of available scholarships, this is a good class and I look forward to the future of Hog football. BTW, I believe Dorian Gerald will be a day 1 starter at DE.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 07, 2018, 05:29:28 pm
Well I will agree with you on one thing: The end result will be the same, no matter what either one of us say. And as far as my being "force-feed" anything that's total crap. I'm not buying into either side as yet. However, as I've said previously, I will wait until the FACTS dictate whether or not this was a good or unwise hire. And THAT will only be seen once he's actually coached and recruited through several years. However, I'm certainly willing to give him the benefit of the doubt as this point.

I "think" that this could be a better hire than we suspect.

I thought that with the Bielema hire that we would see great and in-depth evaluation of talent that perhaps transcended the rankings of the recruiting services. Thathe would actually find more diamonds in the rough, develop them and they would perform at high levels. But Bielema underestimated the level of the challenge in the SEC and just how difficult the level of competition was, week in and week out. The Wisconsin template just didn't work at Arkansas and in the SEC.

Morris however, brings something more akin to Petrino's style (offensively) than that of Bielema. Morris is going to move a lot of folks around, use mis-direction to his benefit, offer the O-Line better blocking angles in the run and throw the ball quicker than we have in the past, hopefully giving our receivers an opportunity to make a play in space. If he can scheme as well or close to what Petrino did, we will move the ball.

Defensively Morris didn't screw around. He just went out and got a guy with big name reputation as a DC and a LOT of SEC experience to handle the defense. Does he have the talent available to do what he did at Tennessee, LSU or A&M in a pressure style of defense? Maybe not as good as he did at those stops right now, but perhaps a lot better than we have witnessed at Arkansas in a BBDB style the last few years.

We will see what happens but I expect us to be better at the very least from a competitive standpoint. To keep the troops motivated he'll have to prove that his philosophy works within the first 2-3 seasons or he may start to lose the team just the way that Bielema did.

I'm optimistic about our chances at this point.
Go Hogs Go!

HOGINTENNESSEE

If you don't understand how signing only 17 player affects recruiting ranking. You shouldn't comment on recruiting rankings

RedyorNot

I'm pleased with how they closed the class out and they definitely get an "A" for style points. Only Stanford signed fewer players (15), and if you fill out the class with middle rated 3*'s and one low 4* we would have ended up in the 211.32 range sitting at 32nd this year.

It'll take time and more importantly wins, but the staff seems to have a pretty decent formula. With four teams in the SECW that typically rank higher than us (Bama, Aubbie, A&M, LSWho), the game plan will have to be pretty stout.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Hogindasticks on February 07, 2018, 07:02:00 pm
Where are the brains of these people?  Dude chimed in on Bo's show a bit ago...doing the same thing.  I have never seen so many people that want to be losers in my life.
Sad truth of the matter is that so many are constantly "sitting on their brains". No wonder their comments and opinions come out smelling of rotten hot air.  ;) :) :D

dbh

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 10, 2018, 11:04:50 am
I "think" that this could be a better hire than we suspect.

I thought that with the Bielema hire that we would see great and in-depth evaluation of talent that perhaps transcended the rankings of the recruiting services. Thathe would actually find more diamonds in the rough, develop them and they would perform at high levels. But Bielema underestimated the level of the challenge in the SEC and just how difficult the level of competition was, week in and week out. The Wisconsin template just didn't work at Arkansas and in the SEC.

Morris however, brings something more akin to Petrino's style (offensively) than that of Bielema. Morris is going to move a lot of folks around, use mis-direction to his benefit, offer the O-Line better blocking angles in the run and throw the ball quicker than we have in the past, hopefully giving our receivers an opportunity to make a play in space. If he can scheme as well or close to what Petrino did, we will move the ball.

Defensively Morris didn't screw around. He just went out and got a guy with big name reputation as a DC and a LOT of SEC experience to handle the defense. Does he have the talent available to do what he did at Tennessee, LSU or A&M in a pressure style of defense? Maybe not as good as he did at those stops right now, but perhaps a lot better than we have witnessed at Arkansas in a BBDB style the last few years.

We will see what happens but I expect us to be better at the very least from a competitive standpoint. To keep the troops motivated he'll have to prove that his philosophy works within the first 2-3 seasons or he may start to lose the team just the way that Bielema did.

I'm optimistic about our chances at this point.

Totally agree.  Morris track record shows that he will find ways to score points.  We have some weapons and speed on offense returning (Hayden, Jones, Hammonds, Jackson, Martin).  Also, don't forget Barnes, who redshirted.  We will move the ball in this offense.  On defense, IF WE CAN AVOID MAJOR INJURIES, we're going to be more than solid at end (Agim and Gerald), and at corner (Curl, Pulley, and Calloway).  At LB, Harris is very good, Greenlaw is okay, and Pool may contribute quickly.   Safeties must improve and we recruited well there.  Chavis' defenses can be dangerous with good DE's and CB's and we should have those.  I think we're in a good position to surprise this year and, if we can do that, recruiting will get a much needed shot in the arm.  JMO.

rude1

This should be why this is one of the best jobs ever for prospective coaches. No matter what you do recruiting there will be a section of the fan base and media that will hail it as an overwhelming success, well that's until they day your a** gets fire, then your recruiting will become the worst the program has seen and it will take us years to recover. Happened with Nutt, Petrino, Fat Man, and now CCM.................