Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Not as worried about Left Tackle all of the sudden...

Started by Country Stylz, January 07, 2016, 06:20:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Country Stylz

deedster84

I'm not convinced they don't move Skipper back to LT

bennyl08

Quote from: deedster84 on January 07, 2016, 06:22:44 pm

Coaches have talked about Wallace at RT his whole career here; however, when it came to Kirkland leaving the game, they put Wallace at LT and kept Skipper at RT regardless of skipper's experience at the position. That has to count for something.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Großer Kriegschwein

That's a dude that I wouldn't want to come across on a dark street, much less on a football field KNOWING he has bad intentions.
This is my non-signature signature.

TexHog188

"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

Iwastherein1969

this kid, if you were going to chisel out the perfect LT, this kid's dimensions are exactly what the NFL would prescribe...not quite as heavy although tall, but not too tall...has the ability to have better footwork with superior coaching....if memory serves, Dan was getting beat more than the others because the opposing rusher is, 9 times out of 10, lined up on that side as to be able to take advantage of the QB's blind side....I hope this young man is a quick learner, we are going to need him and I have full faith that he can deliver
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Mr. Porkleone

ricepig

LLPL

Quote from: Country Stylz on January 07, 2016, 06:20:29 pm
Brian Wallace....I bet he works out.

I fully expect him to be the next great one. Shawn Andrews potential.

hogman78

DallasHogFan

Let me tell you what Melba Toast is packin' right here, all right. We got 4:11 Positrac outback, 750 double pumper, Edelbrock intake, bored over 30, 11 to 1 pop-up pistons, turbo-jet 390 horsepower. We're talkin' some "Hogville Censored" muscle. -Wooderson

PORKULATOR

Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Hoggish1

Hoggish1

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on January 07, 2016, 06:37:22 pm
this kid, if you were going to chisel out the perfect LT, this kid's dimensions are exactly what the NFL would prescribe...not quite as heavy although tall, but not too tall...has the ability to have better footwork with superior coaching....if memory serves, Dan was getting beat more than the others because the opposing rusher is, 9 times out of 10, lined up on that side as to be able to take advantage of the QB's blind side....I hope this young man is a quick learner, we are going to need him and I have full faith that he can deliver

Wallace was recruited to take care of business.

JIHawg

deedster84

I remember his announcement at the game. There was a gasp when they saw a Hog and not an A. That big recruiting victory over them for a player with MAJOR impact possibilities.

Country Stylz

Quote from: Hoggish1 on January 07, 2016, 08:11:30 pm
Why were you ever worried...?
Experience of new linemen. New guys didn't play a whole lot.

Justifiable Hogicide

razCzar

Glad to see some focus on our up-&-comers like Wallace.  Love this shot from his Twitter -
https://twitter.com/iambwall_60

Fort Dweller

Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

jgphillips3

Wallace or possibly even Merrick are better options at LT than Skipper.  Love Skipper but we don't want him on the blind side unless it's out of pure necessity.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

I remember when he committed to the hogs at the army all American game. My dad and I were the loudest person in the stadium.
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Peter Porker

I am. He struggles against speed rushers. I'm certain that's why they moved him to RT.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on January 08, 2016, 06:49:47 am
I remember when he committed to the hogs at the army all American game. My dad and I were the loudest person in the stadium.

You merged?  Like a Superhero type of thing?
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

FANONTHEHILL

Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Peter Porker

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

ricepig

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2016, 06:58:44 am
Wonder Twins Activate.

My first thought as well, LOL.
I couldn't remember an occasion where they actually ''merged'' though.

Now that blob creature from the Herculoids did, I believe.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

RebelW

I am very anxious to see how "Fro" Merrick does in the spring. He played basketball all through HS. Should have amazing feet. Also the Jackson boy out of Conway was very highly spoke of by CBB and Scam Pittman. I think we will be fine. As long as we do 2 a days so they can get as many snaps together as possible before game 1. We have the talent, just got to get them to mesh.

Cinco de Hogo

I like Skipper fine but he can't cover the Left.  LT ends up on an island by himself way too much against a bull rushing DE or even a blitz package.  He can't protect the QB's blindside.  He is much better using his huge body in tight quarters going downhill.

JayBell

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on January 08, 2016, 10:48:53 amI like Skipper fine but he can't cover the Left.  LT ends up on an island by himself way too much against a bull rushing DE or even a blitz package.  He can't protect the QB's blindside.  He is much better using his huge body in tight quarters going downhill.

And we know Wallace can do this because.....?  Oh right, recruiting stars tell us everything we need to know.

Every team's fans have backup quarterback syndrome.  I don't know if any other team has backup lineman syndrome.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: JayBell on January 08, 2016, 11:06:09 am
And we know Wallace can do this because.....?  Oh right, recruiting stars tell us everything we need to know.

Every team's fans have backup quarterback syndrome.  I don't know if any other team has backup lineman syndrome.

That doesn't make any sense at all.  Skipper didn't play LT last year so Wallace wasn't his backup.

Do you know who CBB is gonna play were?  If not then it's all speculation but somebody is gonna start at left tackle.  I certainly never said it would be Wallace. 

So please tell up now who takes Skipper's place at RT, or would that be backup lineman syndrome too?

JoeyCapital

Quote from: jgphillips3 on January 08, 2016, 12:18:46 am
Wallace or possibly even Merrick are better options at LT than Skipper.  Love Skipper but we don't want him on the blind side unless it's out of pure necessity.
Nailed it.

Just like my neighbor and her sister.
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

Pork Twain

Quote from: Country Stylz on January 07, 2016, 09:06:05 pm
Experience of new linemen. New guys didn't play a whole lot.
Has any CBB team ever had OL as a weakness?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

code red

I would bet this does happen....I think it has to.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

HoGFromTheStart

DSTo (not a journalist) suck it trebek!

JayBell

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on January 08, 2016, 11:14:36 amThat doesn't make any sense at all.  Skipper didn't play LT last year so Wallace wasn't his backup.

No, but Skipper played RT this season and Wallace was his backup.

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on January 08, 2016, 11:14:36 amSo please tell up now who takes Skipper's place at RT, or would that be backup lineman syndrome too?

Skipper at LT.  Wallace at RT.  It's pretty simple.

Your best tackle covers the blind side.  If Wallace is better than Skipper, why didn't he start this season?  He's an unknown.  Wallace might establish himself as the guy in the offseason and preseason, but any of us outside of the program have no reason to think he'll overtake Skipper.

Meanwhile, Skipper will be a three-year starter returning for his senior season and auditioning for the NFL.

Again, the logical conclusion is that Skipper will be the LT.  That doesn't guarantee it, but there's far more reason to think a senior with three years of experience will start at the most crucial position on the line over a redshirt sophomore who has hardly played at all.

immahog

LT skipper    LG J. Merrick    C Z rogers   RG F ragnow   RT B wallace

Just my guess
No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

onebadrubi

Quote from: JayBell on January 08, 2016, 12:04:00 pm

Your best tackle covers the blind side.  If Wallace is better than Skipper, why didn't he start this season?  He's an unknown.  Wallace might establish himself as the guy in the offseason and preseason, but any of us outside of the program have no reason to think he'll overtake Skipper.

Meanwhile, Skipper will be a three-year starter returning for his senior season and auditioning for the NFL.

Again, the logical conclusion is that Skipper will be the LT.  That doesn't guarantee it, but there's far more reason to think a senior with three years of experience will start at the most crucial position on the line over a redshirt sophomore who has hardly played at all.

Bielema needs Skipper to be drafted at all cost.  I don't believe that anyone was unseating Skipper this year unless injury.  We have seen that Bielema makes decisions based on a long term goal and plan and getting players drafted is a larger portion of that.  If wallace were to unseat Skipper it would really hurt Skippers draft ability.  I do however think getting Wallace in that two deep got him the best chance to see the most talented practice snaps at a high quantity as well as getting him in the most game snaps possible.

That being said, we've seen off season line changes often under Bielema.  Skipper and Kirkland started at guard I do believe.  Actually I don't think they played the same position 2 years in a row (maybe kirkland left guard fresh and soph).  I understand your reasoning for saying Skipper would be the first choice at LT, but I don't think your basis for making that statement is accurate. 

Cinco de Hogo

January 08, 2016, 12:10:30 pm #40 Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 12:22:04 pm by Cinco de Hogo
Quote from: JayBell on January 08, 2016, 12:04:00 pm

Again, Skipper can't cover the blind side so, no it doesn't make sense.  I can be proven wrong but I would sure hate for our new QB to be put right back into the position BA was in 13 and 14.  Running for your life and chunking the ball into the stands is not what I want to see.

immahog

skipper gets beat at RT it would scare me if he was at LT to be honest. DE that are able to get low beats him everytime b/c he is so tall and long
No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

JayBell

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on January 08, 2016, 12:10:30 pmAgain, Skipper can't cover the blind side so, no it doesn't make sense.  I can be proven wrong but I would sure hate for our new QB to be put right back into the position BA was in 13 and 14.  Running for your life and chunking the ball into the stands is not what I want to see.

You say this like it's fact.  The whole point is:

1) How do you know Skipper can't cover the blind side?

2) How do you know Wallace or anyone else on the team would be better?

ricepig

Quote from: JayBell on January 08, 2016, 12:24:36 pm

Well, Skipper played LT in 2014, we moved him to RT in 2015. As far as Wallace, we don't know, I guess that's something we will watch during spring practice, that, and QB.

Paul

Quote from: immahog on January 08, 2016, 12:16:07 pm
skipper gets beat at RT it would scare me if he was at LT to be honest. DE that are able to get low beats him everytime b/c he is so tall and long
his height does seem to limit his lateral mobility

Country Stylz

JayBell

Quote from: ricepig on January 08, 2016, 12:30:00 pmWell, Skipper played LT in 2014, we moved him to RT in 2015. As far as Wallace, we don't know, I guess that's something we will watch during spring practice, that, and QB.

Exactly.  By the start of the 2016 season, he'll be 20+ months removed from his last game at left tackle.

I'm not saying Skipper is definitely going to be LT.  I just think it's dumb for people to say things like "he can't cover the blind side" or that Wallace or someone else would be better like they're fact. 

We have no idea.  It just makes the most sense that a guy who has played 30+ games is going to be the best option instead of others who have hardly played at all.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: JayBell on January 08, 2016, 12:52:45 pm
Exactly.  By the start of the 2016 season, he'll be 20+ months removed from his last game at left tackle.

I'm not saying Skipper is definitely going to be LT.  I just think it's dumb for people to say things like "he can't cover the blind side" or that Wallace or someone else would be better like they're fact. 

We have no idea.  It just makes the most sense that a guy who has played 30+ games is going to be the best option instead of others who have hardly played at all.

It's dumb to say anything about things we know little to nothing about because we aren't coaches and we aren't at the practices.

You questions have been answered in opinionated statements just like the ones you are making.  That's all and good until CBB make his decisions rendering our "dumb".

I've already said I could be proven wrong, I haven't noticed you saying that.

IronHog

Quote from: LLPL on January 07, 2016, 07:10:33 pm
I fully expect him to be the next great one. Shawn Andrews potential.

Andrews was one of the best linemen in college football.....his 1st game.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

bennyl08

Quote from: JayBell on January 08, 2016, 12:24:36 pm

To answer the first question, watch the KSU game. When BA got pressure, a large portion of that was Skipper getting beat at RT. Now, go back and watch his other games. Pass Pro has never been his strength. He is great at run blocking but has a lot to work on in pass coverage.

For your second question, nobody here knows the answer to that. Similarly, you also don't know that Skipper would be better at LT than Wallace or Merrick.

For the idea on if Wallace is better than Skipper, why didn't he start instead: two things, better is relative to the position one is playing and there is also this thing called development.

Maybe Skipper is an A- at RT and Wallace is a B+ thus Skipper started but Wallace is also a B+ at LT while Skipper is a B-. Where is the evidence for that? When Kirkland went out, Skipper didn't move to LT, Wallace did.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse