Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Near future scenario

Started by Biggus Piggus, January 05, 2016, 07:37:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: IronHog on January 05, 2016, 07:42:37 pm
You can blame the defense all you want but until the offense quits breaking down vs porous spread team defenses it won't matter.

It might help with a response if you indicated who you were addressing with regard to your post. (quote feature)
Go Hogs Go!

choppedporkextrasauce

Quote from: IronHog on January 05, 2016, 06:07:46 pm
Arkansas is morphing from ground and pound to big play speed offense.

The defense will be high risk/high reward

That's what you can recruit to UA.  BB will look more like BP's teams than his Wisky teams here forward.
except far more disciplined and without the vinegar stink Petrino gave off.

hobhog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 05, 2016, 12:13:07 pm
Just telling you guys. Here in Nashville there's a coaching search going on. A lot of NFL teams are searching. Lots of buzz about Saban being a possibility. Not in Nashville, more like NY. But I doubt he would leave after a loss. He has to win another title before considering any kind of move.

That would be a good thing. Bama going spread would be even better. Not worried about either ever happening.

IronHog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 05, 2016, 07:56:35 pm
You might want to take a look at the stats thread I put up before continuing on this line.

Stats are just part of the picture.

Defenses job is to give the offense chances to win.......as bad as this unit was there wasn't one game the offense couldn't have won with better execution a key times.  Toledo, Miss St, and TT all had horrible defenses.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 05, 2016, 07:37:35 am
What if Alabama wins the football national championship, and Nick Saban decides it is time to do something else?

Then - what if Alabama hires a spread/hurry-up guru like Chip Kelly as a change of pace?

Would that rock Bret Bielema's world?

The most important fact about Arkansas' schedule is the east rotation the next four years:

2016 UF @Mizzou 2017 @USC Mizzou 2018 Vandy @Nizzou 2019 UK @Mizzou

That's the easiest rotation of any SECW team.

Bama wins because Saban has superior depth and rarely makes mistakes.  Whoever goes to Tuscaloosa and whatever they run they will make more mistakes in the next few years than Saban has in the last decade.  This alone will unleash the impatient Tide fans egged on by the SECN's near 24 hour preoccupation with Alabama football to drive out whoever thay get simply because he is not Saban.

Miles has essentially retired in place in Baton Rouge and as he demonstrated this year he can get those fools to cheer mediocrity much more suxxessfull than HDN could ever do it at Arkansas.  Lets hope for another decade for the Hatter.

The loss of Daz and more importantly Manny Diaz will significantly weaken MSU for a while.

Things are coming unglued in College Station and that situation won't improve for a while.  Things are not much better in West Georgia.

Ole Miss should be a much bigger threat than it turns out to be every year and will remain so because as he proved this year, CBB can get Arkansas to emulate Ole Miss' air attack but Freeze is not nearly a good enough to to get the Rebs to play pro style when they need to for hanging on to the ball to beat Arkansas.

There's a lot of work to do to get Arkansas ready but fact is the SEC schedule works out for the most part favorably and the home and home's with TCU and Michigan will provide a launching pad to make a serious run at the playoffs in any of the next four years.  Saban calling it quits would simply be another factor working in Arkansas' favor.

mizzouman

Quote from: DukeOfPork on January 05, 2016, 04:50:12 pm
This sounds exactly like a Bielema/Chaney rocky marriage.
Very similar

code red

Why do you think Saban's leaving??
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Pork Twain

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on January 05, 2016, 04:47:36 pm
don't see it with Bama, it self recruits, like Miami did in the 80's, USC in the 2000's

PP
What he said.  Nick is not having to beg people to some there.  The continued NC appearances and pipeline to the NFL recruits quite well.  He does not have to deal with players that make 3 times what the coach does and must be treated with kid gloves, he does not have to deal with the GM, and he does not have to deal with unrealistic fans.  All he has to do at Bama is continue to do what he has done.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

texhog22

Its called great defense!!! Build a defense that punishes quarterbacks! Blow the line up, speed at all LB spots. That's what we need. Need a tackling guru!!!

IronHog

Quote from: texhog22 on January 06, 2016, 09:11:36 am
Its called great defense!!! Build a defense that punishes quarterbacks! Blow the line up, speed at all LB spots. That's what we need. Need a tackling guru!!!

Pipe dream at Arkansas.

Better have a high power offense and a fast defense that can force turnovers.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: IronHog on January 06, 2016, 01:22:11 pm

Pipe dream at Arkansas.

Naw. Arkansas has been good on defense several times in the SEC era. Might last for more than a couple seasons, if the team could ever stick with a plan.
[CENSORED]!

razorbackkid

Quote from: code red on January 06, 2016, 07:59:29 am
Why do you think Saban's leaving??

Title of the thread "Near Future Scernio".  Not immediate scernio.

Personally, I think Saban will go one more year at least.  I do feel confident in saying he'll retire at Bama after another championship or two.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

IronHog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 06, 2016, 04:41:16 pm
Naw. Arkansas has been good on defense several times in the SEC era. Might last for more than a couple seasons, if the team could ever stick with a plan.

When they luck into a  linebacker or two.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: IronHog on January 06, 2016, 06:10:31 pm

When they luck into a  linebacker or two.

Actually, we've got Ellis and Greenlaw next year.

As ridiculous as it sounds, linebacker is actually a strength for us in 2016.

WaltonCollege

Quote from: DukeOfPork on January 06, 2016, 09:05:30 pm

2 linebackers is not a strength. 6 serviceable SEC backers would be a strength. Linebacker and Offense Line are by far the biggest weaknesses on our team and Bielema has said this. We have good players in both groups just not enough of them.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on January 05, 2016, 03:13:11 pm
If Saban moved on. Bama will look North, get Sweeny and continue business, and I mean it literally , Buisness as usual. Sweeny has set up Bama North at Clemson. I believe they buy championships until caught then take their punishment, serve their time then continue pay for play. Question is whether Bama faithful will allow Sweeny type of offense.

If Swinney becomes Alabama's next Head Coach there won't be much, if any, of a drop off in Alabama's recruiting.

Regarding the continuation of the level of coaching at Alabama, it would highly depend on how many of Swinney's current Clemson Assistant Coaches he would bring with him to Alabama.  I predict he would only bring Jeff Scott, Tony Elliott, and Danny Pearman (provided Pearman doesn't decide to retire).  If he is only able to bring 3 (I predict the rest will want to stay at Clemson), then that is not very many, so it would fall on Swinney making some critically important Assistant hires.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: WaltonCollege on January 06, 2016, 09:12:03 pm
2 linebackers is not a strength. 6 serviceable SEC backers would be a strength. Linebacker and Offense Line are by far the biggest weaknesses on our team and Bielema has said this. We have good players in both groups just not enough of them.

True, but we typically don't even have two good linebackers.  That's a rarity.

IronHog

Quote from: DukeOfPork on January 06, 2016, 09:05:30 pm

They've got a long way to go to be adequate....much less a strength.

WaltonCollege

Quote from: DukeOfPork on January 06, 2016, 10:44:04 pm
True, but we typically don't even have two good linebackers.  That's a rarity.

Touché

DeltaBoy

TCU new QB
LTech new QB RB and several line men.
TAMU is a dumpster fire
So we got a shot at 10 wins next year.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: IronHog on January 06, 2016, 11:03:31 pm

They've got a long way to go to be adequate....much less a strength.

I guess I generally agree with you, but with an asterisk.  Greenlaw has shown big time promise, he's just green, but should improve with spring/fall practice.  Ellis, though limited physically, IMO is good enough if he switches back to his former position.  I thought he was way more than adequate in 2014 playing next to Spaight.  That gives me hope with a talented LB playing next to him Brooks could once again be part of a really good defense.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on January 06, 2016, 10:26:04 pm
If Swinney becomes Alabama's next Head Coach there won't be much, if any, of a drop off in Alabama's recruiting.

Regarding the continuation of the level of coaching at Alabama, it would highly depend on how many of Swinney's current Clemson Assistant Coaches he would bring with him to Alabama.  I predict he would only bring Jeff Scott, Tony Elliott, and Danny Pearman (provided Pearman doesn't decide to retire).  If he is only able to bring 3 (I predict the rest will want to stay at Clemson), then that is not very many, so it would fall on Swinney making some critically important Assistant hires.
More bout Jimmies n Joes than X s n 0s....

Biggus Piggus

I get the impression that some people don't understand the difference between proposing a scenario and predicting the future. I have no idea how likely my scenario is, just wanted to discuss what would happen in such a case.
[CENSORED]!

IronHog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 08, 2016, 06:36:48 am
I get the impression that some people don't understand the difference between proposing a scenario and predicting the future. I have no idea how likely my scenario is, just wanted to discuss what would happen in such a case.

He's going high octane pro style offense one way or another.

If he's smart he'll start recruiting the fastest defense possible with a couple huge DTs in the hole for when they're needed.