Previous topic - Next topic

Colin's stay or Go

Stay
182 (25.4%)
Go
534 (74.6%)

Total Members Voted: 716

trphog

Go back and watch the postgame coverage of the bowl game and the sentiments that he was shown receiving and reciprocating with his team mates. Those were not your run of the mill "good game" sentiments. I'd love to be wrong but he's gone.

hogcard1964

Quote from: trphog on January 04, 2016, 01:34:01 pm
Go back and watch the postgame coverage of the bowl game and the sentiments that he was shown receiving and reciprocating with his team mates. Those were not your run of the mill "good game" sentiments. I'd love to be wrong but he's gone.

Then why not announce it now?

Pork Twain

Quote from: thebignasty on January 04, 2016, 01:32:18 pm
He could also get hurt and never play again if enough stays.  He could play poorly and hurt his draft status. Also 'making a few mil' can set a guy up.

The fan in me wants him back just because I love watching him run and it helps the team. I'd love to see him be the first 4 year 1k rusher,  contend for a Heisman and convince scouts he's a first rounder- but those are not givens and I certainly can't blame a guy for going and making some money.
Easier to turn down money when it is not your own.  ;)
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

hogsanity

Best reason to leave................Marcus Lattimore, that can happen to any RB on any carry.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

DLUXHOG

Quote from: hogsanity on January 04, 2016, 01:45:40 pm
Best reason to leave................Marcus Lattimore, that can happen to any RB on any carry.
in practice or a game....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: hogsanity on January 04, 2016, 01:45:40 pm

That's a great example, and a sad one.  It has been discussed on here ad nausem, but the one constant is that whatever money you made prior to getting a horrible career ending injury is money you never would have made if you got injured first.  Education ain't going nowhere.   ;)
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

3kgthog

He's gotta go. Breaking in a new QB, we don't even know if RWIII will truly be the same again, losing a chunk off the o-line, and most of a terrible defense returning. He has no shot at the Heisman. We simply won't win enough games.

Show him the money.

swinemaster

I haven't chimed in on this at all and usually don't.

I'm all for guys staying in school.  I know former NFL players that have said their college days were the best days of their lives that they never wanted to end.  They also said that the NFL is a brutal grind.  But money and future security is also very important. 

I'll be shocked if he stays.  I won't be upset if he goes.  He's been an amazing Razorback.

trphog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on January 04, 2016, 01:37:00 pm
Then why not announce it now?

Because it's more than a week away from the deadline to do so? Because he's a humble guy who just had two teammates announce and he wants to let them have their moment? Becuase he doesn't subscribe to some one else's timeline? I don't know you pick....

The Kig

Poker Porker

Beaverfever

I have a weird feeling he's actually coming back.  That's coming from a pessimist.  Just a hunch. 

razorbackkid

I'll really be surprised to see him come back.  Voted "Go".

I'd really be happy to see him come back though.  Great young man and outstanding running back.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

phadedhawg

AC seems to do a pretty good job of taking care of himself.  When there is a big hit, the other guy usually gets the worse of it.  He's stayed healthy for 3 years, I think he could feel pretty good about his chances next season.

I think he's leaving.

MO.Hog

I saw a thread pop up about an hour ago with the title.  Alex Collins set to return for senior season.  By the time I clicked on it, it had been taken down.  Not in the vents folder either.  Did anyone see it in time?  Just wondering if it was another thread of someone guessing, or if it was someone with real insight that just announced it to soon and had to take it down.  :razorback: :razorback:

DLUXHOG

Quote from: thebignasty on January 04, 2016, 01:32:18 pm
He could also get hurt and never play again if enough stays.  He could play poorly and hurt his draft status. Also 'making a few mil' can set a guy up.

The fan in me wants him back just because I love watching him run and it helps the team. I'd love to see him be the first 4 year 1k rusher,  contend for a Heisman and convince scouts he's a first rounder- but those are not givens and I certainly can't blame a guy for going and making some money.

Depends upon how much is guaranteed....   generally, I think, only the first half of the first round of the players drafted get 4 years of their salary guaranteed...  those selected afterward in the 1st & 2nd rounds get significantly reduced salary guarantees.    I'm not sure if any 3rd round and lower draft players get anything guaranteed.......

hogsanity

Quote from: MO.Hog on January 04, 2016, 03:20:07 pm
I saw a thread pop up about an hour ago with the title.  Alex Collins set to return for senior season.  By the time I clicked on it, it had been taken down.  Not in the vents folder either.  Did anyone see it in time?  Just wondering if it was another thread of someone guessing, or if it was someone with real insight that just announced it to soon and had to take it down.  :razorback: :razorback:

It was a goober saying he say on espn8 that AC was coming back. Then someone said he just declared on espn 10. The last post said something about espn73.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

MO.Hog

Quote from: hogsanity on January 04, 2016, 03:23:16 pm
It was a goober saying he say on espn8 that AC was coming back. Then someone said he just declared on espn 10. The last post said something about espn73.

Figured as much thanks

Grizzlyfan

So Henry declares 2 days after the bowl game.  Kirkland declares 2 days after the bowl game.  But Bielema speaks for AC at the press conference saying they are going to meet on the 6th to discuss the decision.  Are Henry and Kirkland that much more prepared for the draft than AC that the coach doesn't need to meet with them?  Or is Bielema giving AC the hard sell to come back?

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on January 04, 2016, 03:33:31 pm
So Henry declares 2 days after the bowl game.  Kirkland declares 2 days after the bowl game.  But Bielema speaks for AC at the press conference saying they are going to meet on the 6th to discuss the decision.  Are Henry and Kirkland that much more prepared for the draft than AC that the coach doesn't need to meet with them?  Or is Bielema giving AC the hard sell to come back?
Let's hope he's giving him the hard sell....

spiritof92

If JWill had played this season and AC had split carries with him I could see Alex coming back.  Obviously AC was the featured back this season so it really makes no sense for him to come back.  He's already shown what he needed to show.  I would love for him to return for one more season but understand it's not really the best decision for him.

jry04

Quote from: 3kgthog on January 04, 2016, 02:08:04 pm
He's gotta go. Breaking in a new QB, we don't even know if RWIII will truly be the same again, losing a chunk off the o-line, and most of a terrible defense returning. He has no shot at the Heisman. We simply won't win enough games.

Show him the money.
lol...returning experienced players and adding depth usually leads to improvement. Won't be any different with our defense next year. Our defense next season will be much closer to the elite defense from last year than it will to the one we saw this season.

Three and Snout

Well, he has never registered for spring classes.  Makes me think he's gone.  Yes, it's still possible he could enroll for spring.  However, you would think if he were considering returning, he would go ahead and pick his classes during priority registration and then drop later if he decides to leave.

Tony Perkis

Quote from: Three and Snout on January 04, 2016, 03:56:12 pm
Well, he has never registered for spring classes.  Makes me think he's gone.  Yes, it's still possible he could enroll for spring.  However, you would think if he were considering returning, he would go ahead and pick his classes during priority registration and then drop later if he decides to leave.
This tells a lot.

k.c.hawg

January 04, 2016, 03:59:25 pm #73 Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 04:37:47 pm by k.c.hawg
Quote from: DLUXHOG on January 04, 2016, 03:21:59 pm
Depends upon how much is guaranteed....   generally, I think, only the first half of the first round of the players drafted get 4 years of their salary guaranteed...  those selected afterward in the 1st & 2nd rounds get significantly reduced salary guarantees.    I'm not sure if any 3rd round and lower draft players get anything guaranteed.......

No contracts in the NFL are fully guaranteed. The # 1 pick usually has about 70% of the contract in guaranteed money......Winston a $24m deal with $17 guaranteed. ...the #16 pick $9.5m with $5.5 guaranteed.....the last pick in the 1st rd $7.7m with $3.9 guaranteed. The guaranteed money prevents teams from cutting those guys because of cap hit so all most every 1st rounder will see another 3 years of salary after their guaranteed money.

A 3rd rd pick is looking at $700k to $800k signing bonus and usually guaranteed a minimum of 2 years on a roster....not every case but 90%. So you can pretty much expect a 3rd rounder to see a minimum of $1.8m out of a $3m to $4m deal.

Knile was the 96th pick (lower 3rd of the 3rd rd) $2.8m deal with around $550k in signing bonus and salaries of $405, $520, $610 and $700. He will collect on his whole contract but he is probably done in KC. Hopefully he has done enough to be someones #3 and keep collecting a check....if not he has gotten a damn good head start in life having made $3m before age 25.

Alex is thought of well by NFL scouts. He is what the prototypical NFL back has become. Good balance, good vision, good cutting ability, patient and follows blocking. There are very few RB's left in the NFL that out run DB's chasing them straight from behind. I see Alex being one of the top 5 backs drafted, and getting a $3m + deal where he is pretty well assured to collect it all, barring getting in trouble.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

RME

How do you know that?

Also, registration for Spring classes begins late October/early November. Are you saying that by that time he had already decided to leave?

DLUXHOG

razorbackkid

Quote from: k.c.hawg on January 04, 2016, 03:59:25 pm
No contracts in the NFL are fully guaranteed. The # 1 pick usually has about 70% of the contract in guaranteed money......Winston a $24m deal with $17 guaranteed. ...the #16 pick $9.5m with $5.5 guaranteed.....the last pick in the 1st rd $7.7m with $3.9 guaranteed. The guaranteed money prevents teams from cutting those guys because of cap hit so all most every 1st rounder will see another 3 years of salary after their guaranteed money.

A 3rd rd pick is looking at $700k to $800k signing bonus and usually guaranteed a minimum of 2 years on a roster....not every case but 90%. So you can pretty much expect a 3rd rounder to see a minimum of $1.8m out of a $3m to $4m deal.

Knile was the 96th pick (lower 3rd of the 3rd rd) $2.8m deal with around $550k in signing bonus and salaries of $405, $520, $610 and $700. He will collect on his whole contract but he is probably done in KC. Hopefully he has done enough to be someones #3 and keep collecting a check....if not he has gotten a damn good head start in life having made $3m before age 25.

Alex is thought of well by NFL scouts. He is what the prototypical NFL back has become. Good balance, good vision, good cutting ability, patient and follows blocking. There are very few RB's left in the NFL that out run DB's chasing them straight from behind. I see Alex being one of the top 5 backs drafted, and getting a $3m + deal where is pretty well assured to collect it all barring getting in trouble.
I've often wondered about this.  Thanks for sharing.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Yes, it's still possible he could enroll for spring.  However, you would think if he were considering returning, he would go ahead and pick his classes during priority registration and then drop later if he decides to leave.

As if AC would have trouble getting into any class if he decided to stay.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on January 04, 2016, 04:23:15 pm
As if AC would have trouble getting into any class if he decided to stay.
Surely, someone would give him a scantron if he just showed up.

MB Hog

I would love to see him here another year, but I doubt it will happen.  I agree with the side that says he doesn't have much to gain in draft status by playing another year in college.

Honestly, I think his bowl game was the capper for his argument for draft position.  If he had an average game against KS State, I would be more on the fence about it, but that may have been his best game ever as a Hog and it looked like a successful attempt to audition for the NFL.  He had several runs for 10-plus yards, showed great vision, had a terrific burst, and topped it off with that amazing third TD where he refused to go down.  He even returned a kickoff 68 yards for good measure.  I'm not sure he can top that next season.

Regarding his breakaway speed, I agree with k.c.hawg that most NFL RBs these days don't outrun the DBs anymore.  McFadden is still one of the fastest RBs in the league, but he never seems to hit the home runs like he could in college.  I think that is more about the DBs speed in the NFL than the RBs.  That may be why DBs are typically drafted higher these days.

What you need from a running back in the NFL is a consistent 4 - 6 yards on most plays with the ability to break them for 20 - 25 yards a few times a game.  I think Collins has that Emmitt Smith type of ability to do just that.

I think he goes this year, gets picked in the 3rd to 5th round, makes an NFL roster, and contributes on Sundays.

k.c.hawg

Quote from: DLUXHOG on January 04, 2016, 04:01:03 pm
Sam Bradford says "hello"....

Well DMAC collected all $60m of his first deal also but it was not because it was guaranteed. In the 6th year of his deal he was the highest paid RB in the league when they could have cut him, not paid him and suffered very little to no salarycap implications. He was a "Good Raider" and they dropped $11m on him for $600k production. Sam Bradford's contract was $78 million with $50 guaranteed....so not quite 70%. The fact that a poorly run team keeps paying a player when they could cut ties and not get hit too hard on the cap does not equate to guaranteed money. If you land on a losing team with bad management there is more of a chance you will get all of your money because they don't want to admit they blew it. Sam Bradford's deal was what finally got NFLPA to agree to stop the insanity of paying unproven players considerably more than superstars in the game were making.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

1highhog

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on January 04, 2016, 10:56:20 am
The one everyone's waiting on. Can CBB convince him to stay?

If everyone wanted the best for A.C they'd want him to go, so even though I would love to see him selfishly in a Hog uni next season, he needs to strike while the iron is hot and declare for the draft this season.

gmarv

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 04, 2016, 01:29:03 pm
This seems to fly in the face of what CBB has hinted about ACs draft grade, IMO CBB is trying to help AC, and not just trying to help the UA!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
agree with this.I just want him to make a good decision for himself.

PIGZSNOUT

He will do the opposite of what his Momma says.
In that case, I hope his momma wants a new house on South Beach and a Rolls Royce.

Boardon Hamsay

It would be really funny and ironic if his mom ran off with his NFL draft declaration forms.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: 1highhog on January 04, 2016, 04:40:22 pm
If everyone wanted the best for A.C they'd want him to go, so even though I would love to see him selfishly in a Hog uni next season, he needs to strike while the iron is hot and declare for the draft this season.
Do you really believe that Bret Bielema would be trying to get him to come back if it was in AC's best interest to leave? He has NO history of doing this. His advice to his draft eligible players has always been based on what the NFL people tell him. If they say a kid should declare he tells them to declare. If they say a kid could benefit from another year in college he tells them that. What he clearly stated a couple of weeks ago is that the issue is between getting drafted and getting some bonus money as opposed to getting drafted, making an NFL roster and having a career.

Why is this so hard for some of you to understand?

Blue35

There is nothing for Collins to gain by staying another year. He will probably go.

razorbackchamps94

100 percent gone .. To many good RB in 2016 that will enter draft

passinghog

If the Heisman was still a "career achievement" award, then the Heisman talk would have some legs. But it's no longer that type of award. Carson Palmer was probably the last guy to win it as more of a career achievement award. Having 4 1000 yard seasons would unfortunately have no bearing on whether or not he gets Heisman consideration. There's a much better chance of a transcendently talented freshman winning the award than someone winning the award based on their longevity.

EastexHawg

The "only player with four 1,000 yard seasons" stat is less than compelling.  Herschel Walker averaged 1,700 yards per season in three 11 game seasons.  Does anyone think he wouldn't have gone for 1,000 if he had stayed for his senior year?

EastexHawg

Or Darren McFadden, for that matter?

It's a made up stat.

Dirttrackhog

I am thankful for the 3 wonderful years AC has given us and will support his decision whatever it may be.  He has been a class act and everything and more in what you would want from a Razorback.  I think it is time for him to go make his money, though selfishly like others id love to see him back also.  Just an opinion though when people say his draft stock wouldnt improve much next year because of Chubb and Fournette.  We dont know if Chubb will be the same back or not and also dont know if Fournettes "slide" will continue.  He could very easily be the number one back in the country next year.

farfromgroovins

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 04, 2016, 07:47:45 pm
Do you really believe that Bret Bielema would be trying to get him to come back if it was in AC's best interest to leave? He has NO history of doing this. His advice to his draft eligible players has always been based on what the NFL people tell him. If they say a kid should declare he tells them to declare. If they say a kid could benefit from another year in college he tells them that. What he clearly stated a couple of weeks ago is that the issue is between getting drafted and getting some bonus money as opposed to getting drafted, making an NFL roster and having a career.

Why is this so hard for some of you to understand?

^This
CBB will tell him what is in his best interest and the Liberty Bowl was just an exclamation on an excellent career at the UofA.
Why was he returning kicks anyway?
"Hey Coach! Can I return a kick since it's my last game in a Hog uniform?"
He returned 4 kick-offs last year and only 2 this year.....both in the Liberty Bowl.

Thank you AC for being one of the best to ever put on a Hog uniform and best of luck in the NFL. Once a Hog, always a Hog.

Murr

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on January 04, 2016, 12:19:01 pm
Here's the thing I wonder about; what else does he have to show NFL scouts that will materially improve his draft stock?

It's not like he's "unknown" or hasn't gotten enough exposure.  Heck - he's in the SEC and just became only the 3rd RB to ever start out with three 1,000 yards seasons (along with Herschel and DMac).  He has no major flaws to his game, and is not coming back from an injury.

He pretty much is what he is.  And what he is, apparently, is a 3rd round pick.

Let's say he comes back, runs for 1,800 yards.  Is that really going to move him into the first round?  Probably not.  Especially the way the NFL values running backs these days.

And then, he saw last season what happened when his buddy JWill DID come back - injury.  The worst nightmare of any college RB getting close to cashing in on a Pro career.

I'd LOVE to have him back in Cardinal and white next season.  But I just don't see it happening.

Running backs are the easiest position to draft in the NFL due to the high supply.  Many teams use a 6th round pick on a RB that starts and produces for 2-4 years.  I think this decision will come after a lot of thought and review from scouts, family and coaching staff.  As CBB said, AC will make his decision in February.

AirForceHog

I think he's gone. I know he COULD update his status but with the other two leaving I think AC is gone as well.
If it turns, burns, banks or rolls, crew chiefs made it happen.

ChitownHawg

Where is all of this "if" he gets a shot at an NFL team coming from? Take a look at the last five Hog RBs in the last few years. They got shots at teams and they were less accomplished than AC.

KD is the closest to AC's skills and he made a team. AC IS making a team. The question is how good of a deal does the team get with his selection. If he is taken past the 4th round then the team got a very good deal.

His ability to make you miss him in tight spaces is eye popping. When he makes lateral moves he loses very little speed. He will also do well in the interviews. His humbleness will play well. Watch the post bowl presser to see how his interviews will go.

He will make a team this year and be successful in the NFL.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

MountieDawg

If CBB does what is right for the kid, he will tell him to go to the NFL and make sure his family is taking care of instead of asking him to come back and take care of CBB's family and the Arkansas fans.  I know that will not be a popular opinion on here but coming back will not help him move up another round on the draft board.
SEC!

Lanny

"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: MountieDawg on January 05, 2016, 06:54:23 am
If CBB does what is right for the kid, he will tell him to go to the NFL and make sure his family is taking care of instead of asking him to come back and take care of CBB's family and the Arkansas fans.  I know that will not be a popular opinion on here but coming back will not help him move up another round on the draft board.

I'm not sure that it is the business of any of us to say what Bielema or AC should or shouldn't do with regard to this decision. I have to believe that the reason that Bielema is making the trip to Florida is to sit down with AC and his family and lay out the potential positives and potential negatives of either side of the decision and then let AC and his family make the decision, which is how it should be.
Go Hogs Go!

Boarcephus

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 05, 2016, 07:08:45 am
I'm not sure that it is the business of any of us to say what Bielema or AC should or shouldn't do with regard to this decision. I have to believe that the reason that Bielema is making the trip to Florida is to sit down with AC and his family and lay out the potential positives and potential negatives of either side of the decision and then let AC and his family make the decision, which is how it should be.

I'd be stunned if it were anything other than this.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.