Colin's stay or Go

Stay
182 (25.4%)
Go
534 (74.6%)

Total Members Voted: 716

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Boarcephus on January 05, 2016, 07:59:21 am
I'd be stunned if it were anything other than this.

I would too, because there's too much information now from NFL scouts etc. to lay out projections etc.  There's not nearly as much guesswork going on.  Usually they're off by a few picks, not a few rounds like it used to be.  I doubt CBB could "hard sell" him on coming back with so much known on the front end, and I don't think he wouldn't want what's best for the players based on his reputation. 

I would love for AC to want to come back, but you can only take some much pounding and he's already gotten three years of the closest thing you can get to what the NFL offers.  I bet he's gone, and I don't blame him one iota.  I'm surprised he even waited to announce. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

JayBell

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on January 05, 2016, 08:41:57 am
I would too, because there's too much information now from NFL scouts etc. to lay out projections etc.  There's not nearly as much guesswork going on.  Usually they're off by a few picks, not a few rounds like it used to be.  I doubt CBB could "hard sell" him on coming back with so much known on the front end, and I don't think he wouldn't want what's best for the players based on his reputation. 

I would love for AC to want to come back, but you can only take some much pounding and he's already gotten three years of the closest thing you can get to what the NFL offers.  I bet he's gone, and I don't blame him one iota.  I'm surprised he even waited to announce. 

"If" his draft projection is the middle rounds (3rd/4th) there is a huge difference for a player between there and 1st/2nd round, especially as it relates to guaranteed money.

Based on what the NFL is telling Bielema and AC I can see where Bielema is thinking that AC deserves better than that right now, but you only get what the NFL wants to give you. I can also see where, based on NFL info, he thinks that if AC came back and did what no other RB has done in the SEC and rush for a 4th year of more than 1,000 yards, it would probably catapult him into "Elite RB" status deserving of a 1st or 2nd round pick and a boatload of more money.

The down side is taking a chance on an injury that might limit or end his career. That's a pretty big consideration. Do you take whatever you can get now, or take a chance on getting another big season and potentially more money? Of course there is always the chance that he could come back, rush for over 1,000 yards again and still not go until the 3rd or 4th round in the 2017 draft, but apparently the information coming from the NFL doesn't indicate that happening. Still, you never know.

I hope he comes back for another year but ultimately he needs to do what he and his family think is best for his future and I'll wish him the best whatever he chooses to do.

We will know in a few days.
Go Hogs Go!

The hog meister

When A and CB meet together. ACB   Aint Coming Back    It's a shame his name wasn't Issac would have been better grammar!     WPS

Jek Tono Porkins

Jeremy Langford contract (early 4th round pick): 4 years, $2.8 mil.
TJ Yeldon contract (early 2nd round pick): 4 years, $5.9 mil.
Todd Gurley contract (first RB taken): 4 years, $13.8 mil.

If there really is a chance that AC can get in that first or second round pick territory, it's well worth it to stay.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

Boarcephus

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on January 05, 2016, 08:41:57 am
I doubt CBB could "hard sell" him on coming back with so much known on the front end, and I don't think he wouldn't want what's best for the players based on his reputation. 

I agree with this.  I don't think the same could have been said for Petrino, or even Nutt for that matter, but I truly believe Bielema has the player's best interest at heart. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Hogtimes

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 05, 2016, 07:08:45 am
I'm not sure that it is the business of any of us to say what Bielema or AC should or shouldn't do with regard to this decision. I have to believe that the reason that Bielema is making the trip to Florida is to sit down with AC and his family and lay out the potential positives and potential negatives of either side of the decision and then let AC and his family make the decision, which is how it should be.

So it would seem that Collins has NOT made a decision.  Otherwise why would he waste Bielema's time coming to Florida to visit

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 05, 2016, 09:00:18 am
"If" his draft projection is the middle rounds (3rd/4th) there is a huge difference for a player between there and 1st/2nd round, especially as it relates to guaranteed money.

Based on what the NFL is telling Bielema and AC I can see where Bielema is thinking that AC deserves better than that right now, but you only get what the NFL wants to give you. I can also see where, based on NFL info, he thinks that if AC came back and did what no other RB has done in the SEC and rush for a 4th year of more than 1,000 yards, it would probably catapult him into "Elite RB" status deserving of a 1st or 2nd round pick and a boatload of more money.

The down side is taking a chance on an injury that might limit or end his career. That's a pretty big consideration. Do you take whatever you can get now, or take a chance on getting another big season and potentially more money? Of course there is always the chance that he could come back, rush for over 1,000 yards again and still not go until the 3rd or 4th round in the 2017 draft, but apparently the information coming from the NFL doesn't indicate that happening. Still, you never know.

I hope he comes back for another year but ultimately he needs to do what he and his family think is best for his future and I'll wish him the best whatever he chooses to do.

We will know in a few days.

Great analysis.  That clearly illustrates that there is a lot to consider.  HH's situation is different...he's the clear #1 TE in the draft, so there's nowhere to go! 

Here's the thing...AC had some history of not having the best work ethic, and that's no secret.  It seems like CBB has indicated that he's over that issue, but it has to weigh into the minds of some in the NFL.  From that perspective, it might do him some good to come back and prove he's up to the overall challenge of the position. 

But...with the unknowns next season, if he throws up similar numbers, does his draft stock improve?  Why would it?  Unless it's based on perceived durability and longevity, I don't know what else coming back would prove.  It might even give pause to those thinking "Any RB only has "x number" of hits in them," and he's taken a lot. 

Our discussions alone clearly indicate that there's a lot to consider, and it's easy to see why CBB is meeting with him to discuss it.   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

deedster84

How much is the insurance policy on an NFL graded RB that comes back for his SR year? I know some have them and was curious if we do?

Grizzlyfan

I realize this shows that I'm probably completely clueless about what makes an NFL player, but when I look at Collins I see a guy show is NFL ready today.  As we sit here today I cannot see Hunter Henry blocking JJ Watt.

El Duderino

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on January 05, 2016, 10:53:08 am
I realize this shows that I'm probably completely clueless about what makes an NFL player, but when I look at Collins I see a guy show is NFL ready today.  As we sit here today I cannot see Hunter Henry blocking JJ Watt.

To be fair, I haven't seen many TEs in NFL that can block JJ Watt as we sit here today

greenEGnHAWGS

I hate it when people do this. They say "Well...can they...?...against (the best player at the position)." Can Eifert block Watt? Can Ertz? Can Jordan Reed? The answer...not consistently. HH will THRIVE in the right system. NFL QBs would kill to have a guy with HH's speed/size/sure-fire-hands.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

k.c.hawg

You don't block JJ Watt with TE's. You put the tackle on him and unless he is one of the top tackles in the game you also chip him with a TE or a RB.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

GoldenCOHog

There are blocking TE's like Nick Boyle (Baltimore)...and there are skilled TE's like Jimmy Graham...and there are rare TE's that can do both (Gronk, Gates, Gonzalez).  Looks to me like they'll use HH heavily in the pass game and he'll rest in obvious run situations/heavy packages, etc. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hogtimes on January 05, 2016, 09:43:06 am
So it would seem that Collins has NOT made a decision.  Otherwise why would he waste Bielema's time coming to Florida to visit

If his mind were already made up and it was a foregone conclusion that he was leaving, I doubt that Bielema would waste his time making the trip to Florida to visit with AC and his family. Maybe he would though, just out of respect for AC and what he has given to Arkansas. Maybe he will still visit with Kirkland and his family as well despite the fact that Kirkland has announced on Twitter that he is leaving? On the other hand, maybe he thinks that he can offer some information from the NFL that these kids and their families don't already have? Only Coach Bielema and the players and their families know for certain.

We will know for sure in a few days.
Go Hogs Go!

devildoghawg

Collins is staying, otherwise he would have declared with the rest of his fellow players.  This drawn out stuff meeting with Bielema is all a ploy for media hits, and it's working. 
Quote from: kingofdequeen on July 25, 2013, 06:21:48 pm
If you've got a dumba** son, do you love him any less?  no.  you just overlook his faults b/c you love him.  At least that's what my dad does.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: devildoghawg on January 06, 2016, 08:40:57 am
Collins is staying, otherwise he would have declared with the rest of his fellow players.  This drawn out stuff meeting with Bielema is all a ploy for media hits, and it's working. 
I like this line of thinking! +1 if I could....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

PorkRinds

Quote from: devildoghawg on January 06, 2016, 08:40:57 am

I hope you're right, but I really doubt it.

devildoghawg

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 06, 2016, 08:41:27 am
I hope you're right, but I really doubt it.

I hope I am right too. Collins coming back is the difference in 7 wins, and 10 wins IMHO.
Quote from: kingofdequeen on July 25, 2013, 06:21:48 pm
If you've got a dumba** son, do you love him any less?  no.  you just overlook his faults b/c you love him.  At least that's what my dad does.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on January 05, 2016, 09:26:56 am
Jeremy Langford contract (early 4th round pick): 4 years, $2.8 mil.
TJ Yeldon contract (early 2nd round pick): 4 years, $5.9 mil.
Todd Gurley contract (first RB taken): 4 years, $13.8 mil.

If there really is a chance that AC can get in that first or second round pick territory, it's well worth it to stay.

Not possible.  The only fixable issue is his fumbling "issue".  I actually think that is overstated by a ton.  However, improving his fumbling rate is not going to catapult him to 1st or 2nd round status.  Putting up another 1,000 yards would be great and record breaking, but it wouldn't show the scouts anything new.  They have seen him be a workhorse and he's proven he can run for 1,000+ year after year in the toughest college football conference.  He has shown he doesn't have true gamechanging speed (I'm soooo tired of hearing Collins is slow or "just not fast enough"), which, in my opinion, will keep him from ever getting to the 1st or even 2nd rounds.  That said, I think he'll be a very successful NFL running back.  He is the perfect type of RB for a run 1st team.  He very rarely puts you in a bad situation because he can usually makes 1 or 2 guys miss, even when they aren't blocked and the play should be a loss.

gmarv

does anybody have a guess when we should be hearing the verdict ?

The Hogfather

Quote from: gmarv on January 06, 2016, 08:57:21 am
does anybody have a guess when we should be hearing the verdict ?

I think today.  Not sure what time.

Tony Perkis

Quote from: The Hogfather on January 06, 2016, 09:03:03 am
I think today.  Not sure what time.
I urge everyone not to get your hopes up on this one.

Edit- This is me trying to make sure I don't get my hopes up too.

Zen_Hog

If there was ever a position to leave early for the draft, it is the runningback position. I think Alex goes, he is as pro ready as it gets on our team.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Zen_Hog on January 06, 2016, 09:08:49 am
If there was ever a position to leave early for the draft, it is the runningback position. I think Alex goes, he is as pro ready as it gets on our team.

Completely agree.  I see him in the 3rd round, maybe late 4th.

I have no idea if this website is very good for projecting the draft.  However, this shows him in the 3rd round (#68, Dallas Cowboys):

http://walterfootball.com/draft2016.php

Additional players of note:

Denver Kirkland, #51 (Round 2), Pittsburgh
Hunter Henry, #57 (Round 2), Green Bay
Sebastian Tretola #80 (Round 3), Indy

It only goes through 4 rounds.  However, if the draft actually played out like this, would it be a record for guys going in the top 3 rounds of the draft?

TDHawgs

Isn't today the day Coach B goes to visit Alex and his family in Florida to discuss his options?  Guess we will find out something today maybe?

JayBell

Quote from: Zen_Hog on January 06, 2016, 09:08:49 amIf there was ever a position to leave early for the draft, it is the runningback position. I think Alex goes, he is as pro ready as it gets on our team.

Exactly.  I truly don't understand the argument that he somehow improves his draft status by going to the NFL a year later.  The average career of an NFL running back is only three years.  You get those years in while you're young.

Felix Jones was amazing.  He was a first-round draft pick.  His career lasted about six seasons.

Not to mention Fournette, McCaffrey, Freeman, Perine, Chubb and Dalvin Cook are all sophomores.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: JayBell on January 06, 2016, 09:38:59 am
Exactly.  I truly don't understand the argument that he somehow improves his draft status by going to the NFL a year later.  The average career of an NFL running back is only three years.  You get those years in while you're young.

Felix Jones was amazing.  He was a first-round draft pick.  His career lasted about six seasons.

Not to mention Fournette, McCaffrey, Freeman, Perine, Chubb and Dalvin Cook are all sophomores.

Agree with this.

However, I would like to know what an honest lifespan of a RB is.  Average takes into account all the guys that made the last slot in their rookie season that got cut midway through the season and never played again.

What is the average career for a legitimate starting RB?

Anyone know?
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

JayBell

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on January 06, 2016, 09:57:53 amAgree with this.

However, I would like to know what an honest lifespan of a RB is.  Average takes into account all the guys that made the last slot in their rookie season that got cut midway through the season and never played again.

What is the average career for a legitimate starting RB?

Anyone know?

It'd probably be hard to calculate because running backs are all over the place.  At no other position do you see guys consistently go from starters or franchise-level players to backups and/or busts the very next year.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: JayBell on January 06, 2016, 10:01:24 am
It'd probably be hard to calculate because running backs are all over the place.  At no other position do you see guys consistently go from starters or franchise-level players to backups and/or busts the very next year.

I'd still like someone who is knowledgeable to provide a span or something.

I guess my concern is that people are quick to throw these paltry ''averages'' out without taking into consideration all the marginal half a season or only one season players.

P.S.
If I were to guess, I'd say 6 years.
His response to me:
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

hobhog

Quote from: TDHawgs on January 06, 2016, 09:31:27 am
Isn't today the day Coach B goes to visit Alex and his family in Florida to discuss his options?  Guess we will find out something today maybe?

rlreev01

I think, that because of his speed issue, he needs to develop his pass catching skills for the Pros and I think Bielema wants to do that for him.  Only the high almighty knows what the right decision is, but I hope him the best, stay or leave.  He's a great ambassador for our program.

RME

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on January 06, 2016, 10:08:20 am
I'd still like someone who is knowledgeable to provide a span or something.

I guess my concern is that people are quick to throw these paltry ''averages'' out without taking into consideration all the marginal half a season or only one season players.

P.S.

I wouldn't say I'm knowledgeable by any means, but I do play a lot of fantasy football and I do keep up with the NFL quite a bit.

But like JayBell said, the running back position is a revolving door. There are roughly 24 RBs on rosters that are 29 or older. Of those 24, about 16 get regular playing time when healthy (but not all 16 are starters.)  It really is hard to provide a span...because sure-fire starters under 29 (McCoy, Stewart, Ingram, Ivory) have played right at or under 6 years. But then you have guys like Leveon Bell, stud running back but injured, so who knows how long he will hold up.

For running backs that actually "make it", I would say 6 years is a great estimate. But of course that number is manipulated when you have guys like Montee Ball who showed so much promise, but is now out of the league. You just never know when someone will lose "it" or get injured.

JayBell

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on January 06, 2016, 10:08:20 amI'd still like someone who is knowledgeable to provide a span or something.

P.S.

I get what you're saying.  You're just ignoring the volatility of the running back position.  We've literally seen running backs as starters in their first two years and be out of the NFL after three seasons.

An average is an average for a reason.  The guys who play 15 years counter balance the guys who last 15 days.

hogcard1964

Quote from: TDHawgs on January 06, 2016, 09:31:27 am

Yes

hogsanity

Quote from: JayBell on January 06, 2016, 10:21:16 am
I get what you're saying.  You're just ignoring the volatility of the running back position.  We've literally seen running backs as starters in their first two years and be out of the NFL after three seasons.

An average is an average for a reason.  The guys who play 15 years counter balance the guys who last 15 days.

Unless a nfl team has elite back like AP they almost treat the Rb position as disposable. They can plug just about any back in for a year and get what they need, 60-75 yards per game, some pass blocking, and a few screen passes.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: hogsanity on January 06, 2016, 01:46:34 pm
Unless a nfl team has elite back like AP they almost treat the Rb position as disposable. They can plug just about any back in for a year and get what they need, 60-75 yards per game, some pass blocking, and a few screen passes.

Yeah.
Who would've thought this back in the 80s and 90s?
You almost HAD to have an elite back in those days to stand a decent chance at the Super Bowl.

Remember Elway pre-Davis?  Marino?

Now it's the second most important position on offense, and unless you're AP, it's weirdly treated like a disposable razor.
His response to me:

Potosihog

In the recruiting forum there is a lot of speculation that DWhite is LSU bound yet we haven't heard much about any of the other RB we were recruiting hard at one time.   It is quite possible that CBB believes AC is staying and with the addition of DWhaley we are set at the RB position for next year.  I also wonder how much this poll would have changed had it been taken after Friday if DWhite does go to LSU.   :-\

hogsanity

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on January 06, 2016, 01:58:32 pm
Yeah.
Who would've thought this back in the 80s and 90s?
You almost HAD to have an elite back in those days to stand a decent chance at the Super Bowl.

Remember Elway pre-Davis?  Marino?

Now it's the second most important position on offense, and unless you're AP, it's weirdly treated like a disposable razor.

They found out they cant build an offense around a feature back, too many injuries, and the defenses got too good. All they need now is enough to make the play action work. They just need enough to move the chains.

Now, it is why I think, barring injury, AC is going to have a long NFL career. He can do it all, they can leave him in on 3rd down because he can catch a pass for you, and he can help keep the QB upright. Is he going to bust a bunch of 20+ yard runs, probably not, is he going to help move the ball down the field, you bet.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

mjsphd

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on January 06, 2016, 03:43:29 pm
The longer the wait the more likely he's gone.

You don't believe in "No news, is good news"?

Tony Perkis

hawganatic

Quote from: The Hogfather on January 06, 2016, 09:22:34 am
Completely agree.  I see him in the 3rd round, maybe late 4th.

I have no idea if this website is very good for projecting the draft.  However, this shows him in the 3rd round (#68, Dallas Cowboys):

http://walterfootball.com/draft2016.php

Additional players of note:

Denver Kirkland, #51 (Round 2), Pittsburgh
Hunter Henry, #57 (Round 2), Green Bay
Sebastian Tretola #80 (Round 3), Indy

It only goes through 4 rounds.  However, if the draft actually played out like this, would it be a record for guys going in the top 3 rounds of the draft?

So Kirkland is projected to go before Henry?  Interesting since many seem to think HH is a first round lock and DK was a lower rounder...

redleg

I see Henry going in the first round to Oakland.
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

DLUXHOG

"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: redleg on January 06, 2016, 04:14:52 pm
I see Henry going in the first round to Oakland.
:razorback:

Doesn't Oakland have a pretty good, young TE already?
His response to me:

RME

Quote from: hawganatic on January 06, 2016, 04:08:26 pm
So Kirkland is projected to go before Henry?  Interesting since many seem to think HH is a first round lock and DK was a lower rounder...

In the last five drafts, only one TE has been taken in the 1st round (Eifert). However, TE's usually do start coming off the board early in the 2nd round.

RME

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on January 06, 2016, 04:30:46 pm
Doesn't Oakland have a pretty good, young TE already?

Ehhhh not really...they have Mychal Rivera who had a couple solid years to start, and wasn't BAD this year, but nothing to write home about. But please, let them skip Hunter.

Along with Hogfather's post, I've seen a couple different drafts that have him going to the Packers in the 2nd round. Not a Packers fan, but that'd be pretty cool.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on January 06, 2016, 03:43:29 pm
The longer the wait the more likely he's gone.

Didn't Bielema make reference to having dinner with them this evening? If so, unless they are having an early dinner, that may be why we haven't heard anything yet and there may not be a decision announced until tomorrow or the next day, after they have had time to digest dinner and the information from Bielema.
Go Hogs Go!