Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Liberty bowl...atmosphere and everything else...

Started by Southpointhog, January 02, 2016, 11:27:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Southpointhog

I thought the liberty bowl folks and Memphis did a great job all week.  Everything leading up to game was great.....put this bowl in Florida, it would be top notch!

Everything about the game was well done....fed ex fly over....national anthem...half time...game announcing...etc was top notch.

What is your opinions?

missippihog

The buses leaving the game were horrendous. My family and I sat on one an hour and a half while the police emptied an entire liberty bowl parking lot before letting us through. Everything else was great.

WilsonHog

Awesome experience. I parked in the yard of a house directly in front of the stadium for $30. The combined time it took me to park pre-game and to get out of traffic and on my way to Babalu's after the game was somewhere around two minutes.

Uncommon

Quote from: WilsonHog on January 02, 2016, 11:44:06 pm
Awesome experience. I parked in the yard of a house directly in front of the stadium for $30. The combined time it took me to park pre-game and to get out of traffic and on my way to Babalu's after the game was somewhere around two minutes.
The poster above wants to kill you right now.

mhsbc59

Memphis gets a bad rap but it truly is a great city full of wonderful people we tend to take care of our own
I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

Jborohog09

First Hog bowl game I've attended and I loved it.  Great experience.

HogCzar1

I should have consulted Wilson Hog on parking suggestions last week. The shuttle service return after the game was atrocious.

I actually thought the concessions areas and restrooms were better than I remember at the Liberty Bowl stadium.

Our crowd was outstanding. I don't think 75% of the crowd is far off. You know the Liberty Bowl folks were happy.

Hogfaniam

Liberty Bowl Stadium is a beauty if you are a fan of arched and curved architecture.  It's a grand, old dame.  The lighting they've added outside is a nice touch.  Tiger Lane, top notch.  The fountain. Beautiful.  Plenty of parking close by and grass in the old Liberty Land area (and Tiger Lane) to romp on or throw a football on.  If they could figure out how to get the old Mid South Coliseum into the act, they might have the best bowl experience one could have in January, in the middle of the country.

There is always room to improve, but the Liberty Bowl Festival Association puts on a great show. 
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

scruf

Seemed a lot more 1st class than the Texas Bowl. Hopefully the Hogs upgrade bowls again next year.

Sugar Free Hog

There was a reason the liberty bowl wanted Arkansas. We packed in that stadium. I wish we would show the commercials on our video board during tv timeouts. Makes them go by alot quicker.
Razorbacks-Grizzlies-Titans-Red Sox

Inhogswetrust

January 03, 2016, 07:07:27 am #10 Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 07:22:15 am by Inhogswetrust

You could have parked in a yard a half block from Parkway where the entrance to Tiger Lane is where we parked for $20.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

go hogues

We parked in a neighborhood about three blocks east of the stadium for ten bucks. We left after our last touchdown and hit the Arkansas state line at 6. In the house in LR by 8.
Also, it was chilly but practically Tahiti compared to 2009. We had a great time.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: go hogues on January 03, 2016, 07:26:00 am
We parked in a neighborhood about three blocks east of the stadium for ten bucks. We left after our last touchdown and hit the Arkansas state line at 6. In the house in LR by 8.
Also, it was chilly but practically Tahiti compared to 2009. We had a great time.

Good for you! That area is not the best to park in but glad you didn't have a problem. Stangely enough west of the stadium in the neighborhood it usually is fine to park.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hoglady

We parked in the lot at the stadium but pretty close to the entrance/exit not deep into the parking area.
Everything was great - easy in and out. The Liberty Bowl folks and the city of Memphis did a fine job. Great time.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Hoggish1

Quote from: Southpointhog on January 02, 2016, 11:27:12 pm
I thought the liberty bowl folks and Memphis did a great job all week.  Everything leading up to game was great.....put this bowl in Florida, it would be top notch!

Everything about the game was well done....fed ex fly over....national anthem...half time...game announcing...etc was top notch.

What is your opinions?

The only problem I had as a stay at home viewer was ESPN's audio coverage.  The announcers were barely audible over the noise of the crowd, which leached into their microphones making them hard to understand on the air. 

Hawgphish

My son and I had a great experience.  We drove up the morning of.  Got there early, got a good parking spot...got in and out quick.  Also, enjoyed pre game meal at Central BBQ that was very good.  And on the way home stopped and got a bag a Krystal burgers of which my son had never had. 

And best of all, a hog win in front of a packed stadium.  Great Day.  Go Hogs!

rzrbackrob

Everything about the Liberty Bowl was great!!!!

My only complaint was the shuttle service
Waiting for the bus after the game was miserable and really took away from a great bowl experience.
Good is the enemy of great

hoggusamoungus

Parked at the Memphis BOE facility for free.  About a 10-15 minute walk to the stadium and then out the backdoor to Sam Cooper Blvd and on the way home with little to no traffic.

elksnort

Stayed at a friend's several blocks from the Liberty Bowl. Great atmosphere and very satisfied about the outcome

hogchic2001

We parked in the neighborhood right across the street for $20. Stayed until after the trophy ceremony, cut through the side streets...absolutely no traffic and was home in Morrilton by 915 ish. Great atmosphere and a heck of a lot warmer than 2009! WPS!
Go HOGS Go!

ricepig

Quote from: Hawgphish on January 03, 2016, 07:55:18 am
My son and I had a great experience.  We drove up the morning of.  Got there early, got a good parking spot...got in and out quick.  Also, enjoyed pre game meal at Central BBQ that was very good.  And on the way home stopped and got a bag a Krystal burgers of which my son had never had. 

And best of all, a hog win in front of a packed stadium.  Great Day.  Go Hogs!

What time did you get in line for Central BBQ, we passed by around 10:45 and the line looked 200 deep and several heading that way.

98hogs

Halftime Show was horrible, other than that, great time!

Southpointhog

Quote from: 98hogs on January 03, 2016, 12:27:56 pm
Halftime Show was horrible, other than that, great time!

What the h### are you wanting....it was fine.  Good gosh!  I'm not a country music fan, but dang.  No different than seeing Pittbull at cowboy stadium, unless you like that stuff.  You people just dig and dig to find something to moan about!,,

hoglady

I even liked the Arkansas' Band pre-game show.
Thought it was current and smart to play the Star Wars theme songs - and they did a fine job.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

TDHawgs

Quote from: Hoggish1 on January 03, 2016, 07:49:02 am
The only problem I had as a stay at home viewer was ESPN's audio coverage.  The announcers were barely audible over the noise of the crowd, which leached into their microphones making them hard to understand on the air.
ESPN must have had some new sound engineers helping the last couple of games, because it wasn't just our game that the background noise was louder than the announcers on.  The Ole Miss game was the worst. At the end when they was interviewing Hugh Freeze and Chad Kelly the crowd noise was mixed so loud you couldn't even hear what they was saying. But then again, who cares what they said.. lol

GoldenCOHog

Quote from: missippihog on January 02, 2016, 11:35:07 pm
The buses leaving the game were horrendous.

Never in your life get on a bus in Memphis. 

moses_007

January 03, 2016, 01:41:57 pm #26 Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 01:52:09 pm by moses_007
I watched it on ESPN at home and it was the best experience I've ever seen in a Liberty Bowl game.  The field was beautiful and the end zones were very colorful.

I've seen two games in that stadium in person, the 1971 Liberty Bowl when Arkansas lost to Tennessee, 14-13, on a disputed call by the officials; and the Arkansas-Ole Miss regular season football game in 1995, when Madre Hill ran rampant over the Ole Miss Rebels.

The Liberty Bowl is actually a pretty good bowl and it's an old bowl too, dating back to 1959.  It has a history of almost always being a sellout.  You can't say that for many of the minor bowls we saw this year... many of them didn't appear to have over 5,000 fans in attendance... and that makes you wonder how these minor bowls could continue to exist with such a poor attendance.

ricepig

I've attended several Liberty Bowls as just a college fan, it's usually pretty full.

cypress rock

We use to go to Memphis quite a bit before we moved to fayetteville. This was one of our better trips there. A little bittersweet due to it being our daughters last razorback football game to cheer at. She is completing her 4th year as a razorback cheerleader. It has been a great ride!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hoglady on January 03, 2016, 01:16:35 pm
Thought it was current and smart to play the Star Wars theme songs - and they did a fine job.

The Star Wars theme was actually one of the halftime shows from this season. A repeat.

Paul

Quote from: hoglady on January 03, 2016, 01:16:35 pm
I thought they played the theme to "2001 A Space Odyssey". A K-State fan close to me holding a sign with a Wildcat eating the Starship Enterprise. I wondered if it was a reference to their band performance earlier this year

hoglady

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 03, 2016, 02:26:01 pm
The Star Wars theme was actually one of the halftime shows from this season. A repeat.

That's OK - better to repeat a good one.

Hawgphish

Quote from: ricepig on January 03, 2016, 12:01:45 pm
What time did you get in line for Central BBQ, we passed by around 10:45 and the line looked 200 deep and several heading that way.
got in line about 10:30  it went pretty fast

ricepig

Quote from: Hawgphish on January 03, 2016, 03:13:55 pm
  got in line about 10:30  it went pretty fast

Well, I made yet again a bad decision. I just ate food at the tailgate, but my plans were to eat there before the game. Fortunately, I'm in Memphis every couple of weeks, so I'll stop another day.

elksnort

Very nice experience. The stadium is old, but there's not a bad seat in the place. Kansas States band was good, their fans were good and the Razorback team and fans "brought it".
Really good time.

Hog N Bama

Saw on TV. The sound was very annoying. I heard the band drums and the horn the entire game very well. The announcers not so much. When I did, they seemed to be for K State. :( Great Hog crowd there. Filled the stadium. WPS! :razorback:

HOGGISHABOUTAR

The parade was very odd. Old men in motorized wheel chairs smoking cigars and doing wheelies? Young black girls in lingerie "stepping" and simulating what had to be pole dancing? Corvettes and Camaros with LED lights inside the wheels, and crazy crap all over the cars? Some odd high school bands? I will never be able to understand that culture.

BUT YES EVERYTHING ELSE SEEMED VERY GOOD.

Hogfan1660

^^^This^^^

We made it all the way to Tunica within an hour of leaving our seats after the trophy presentation.

DeltaBoy

It looked like a packed House. The Espn guys got muted. Great win.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

trippigs

My group thought it was great. I like the stadium design and it looked fresh. The shuttle bus was slow leaving the immediate stadium area but it was free and I didn't really mind the time. We stayed at the Embassy Suite where the media had press conferences. Took a couple of photos in front of the Liberty Bowl backdrop. Nothing but good things to say about the entire experience Go Hogs

Hawgphish

Quote from: ricepig on January 03, 2016, 03:16:15 pm
Well, I made yet again a bad decision. I just ate food at the tailgate, but my plans were to eat there before the game. Fortunately, I'm in Memphis every couple of weeks, so I'll stop another day.
half slab, mac and cheese, and beans with sweet tea...

ricepig

rmcchris

Hey I have had my comments through the years about Memphis, but got to give credit. A first class experience.  They did a great job with the bowl.  Dinner at Owen Brennan's after the game was great as well. Job well done Memphis.

porkbellys

While my group was admiring the Bass Pro at the pyramid one of the employees told us that the razorback football players was the most polite and nice bunch of young men they had experienced. The players told him coach told them to keep the trash talk on the field.

He said he was not even a razorback fan.

He did not have good things to say about our opponents.

No offence to Richard but don't be a Dick.

hoglady

I enjoyed it enough - that depending on who's playing I might consider going to the Liberty Bowl next year.
I had a group of Ole Miss fans and some Bama fans sitting behind me who came up to watch Arkansas play.
I thought that was pretty cool.

dagnamit

Quote from: hoglady on January 03, 2016, 08:41:50 pm
I enjoyed it enough - that depending on who's playing I might consider going to the Liberty Bowl next year.
I had a group of Ole Miss fans and some Bama fans sitting behind me who came up to watch Arkansas play.
I thought that was pretty cool.
A cheap fun day. If you live around here or if you can remember to PM me next year I can probably get you tickets for free. A ton of seats are pre bought by corporations and given away.

hoglady

Quote from: dagnamit on January 03, 2016, 09:00:05 pm
A cheap fun day. If you live around here or if you can remember to PM me next year I can probably get you tickets for free. A ton of seats are pre bought by corporations and given away.

Live in Little Rock - but it was a nice day trip. I will for sure remember to PM you next year.
Thanks!!!

ricepig

Quote from: hoglady on January 03, 2016, 09:29:56 pm
Live in Little Rock - but it was a nice day trip. I will for sure remember to PM you next year.
Thanks!!!

He likes Calapari, so keep an eye on him.

Hog Waller

Great game and great time, except the one loud foul mouthed family behind my daughter and I.  The wife was dropping f-bombs left and right when the game was tight, and the son was shouting all sorts of obscenities at CB and the refs...all were drunk.  Either the father was too much of a pansy to do something about it, or he was gleaming with pride.  Felt bad for the man and son in front of me...that little kid almost looked like he was in shock by the crap being spewed from these folks pie holes.