Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

“One thing I was amazed about was the number of Arkansas fans that were here”

Started by Locutus_of_Boar, January 02, 2016, 10:26:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on January 03, 2016, 12:08:36 pm
Both, and no good reasons exist anymore. Why would you limit the students, and another 10,000 to see a potential game?

So did I.  Fayetteville games were my favorite.  The fun started with the Razorback on the bluff past Atkins, continued with the tower on Mount Gaylor, and usually ended with a trip to Springdale for AQ Chicken.

Not everyone in Arkansas were as lucky as us.  They still aren't.  It's a long way from Jonesboro to Fayetteville unless you have access to a King Air.

Arkansas is a SMALL state population-wise but large in area.  That hasn't changed much in the scheme of things.  NWA is a SMALL metropolitan area too isolated to fill a 75,000 seat stadium on a regular basis.  It took the support of 3,000,000 citizens to fill the roster, the stands, and the bank account that built the Arkansas Razorbacks' tradition.  When it comes to college football, "tradition" is just another way of describing success.  It has nothing to do in this context with where games are played.

How many students will be on campus for the Battle Line Rivalry?  Was it the weather that kept them away or their families?

How do you explain the difference in endowments when you compare ASU with Arkansas?  Compare the endowments at Mississippi State and Ole Miss.  Compare the history of college football loyalties in Arkansas and Mississippi.  Compare student populations at all four schools.  Why does Arkansas have an endowment nearly ten times that of ASU, while Ole Miss' s endowment is less than 1.5 times that of Mississippi State?  I'll suggest to you that Ole Miss and Mississippi State have split loyalties in Mississippi for 100 years due in large part to two teams competing with one another in the SEC.  Don't kid yourself - football is the primary marketing arm of universities in much of the country, especially the South - and nothing else is close.

Arkansas may very well do fine if it loses the almost unanimous support of the state outside of NWA.  That remains to be seen, though.  Does it want to take that risk?

You may not believe valid reasons exist for playing games in Little Rock, but you are mistaken.  Are those reasons outweighed by reasons weighing in favor of all games in Fayetteville?  Maybe.  But to say no reasons exist at all is a bit juvenile.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

ricepig

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 03, 2016, 12:54:29 pm
So did I.  Fayetteville games were my favorite.  The fun started with the Razorback on the bluff past Atkins, continued with the tower on Mount Gaylor, and usually ended with a trip to Springdale for AQ Chicken.

Not everyone in Arkansas were as lucky as us.  They still aren't.  It's a long way from Jonesboro to Fayetteville unless you have access to a King Air.

Arkansas is a SMALL state population-wise but large in area.  That hasn't changed much in the scheme of things.  NWA is a SMALL metropolitan area too isolated to fill a 75,000 seat stadium on a regular basis.  It took the support of 3,000,000 citizens to fill the roster, the stands, and the bank account that built the Arkansas Razorbacks' tradition.  When it comes to college football, "tradition" is just another way of describing success.  It has nothing to do in this context with where games are played.

How many students will be on campus for the Battle Line Rivalry?  Was it the weather that kept them away or their families?

How do you explain the difference in endowments when you compare ASU with Arkansas?  Compare the endowments at Mississippi State and Ole Miss.  Compare the history of college football loyalties in Arkansas and Mississippi.  Compare student populations at all four schools.  Why does Arkansas have an endowment nearly ten times that of ASU, while Ole Miss' s endowment is less than 1.5 times that of Mississippi State?  I'll suggest to you that Ole Miss and Mississippi State have split loyalties in Mississippi for 100 years due in large part to two teams competing with one another in the SEC.  Don't kid yourself - football is the primary marketing arm of universities in much of the country, especially the South - and nothing else is close.

Arkansas may very well do fine if it loses the almost unanimous support of the state outside of NWA.  That remains to be seen, though.  Does it want to take that risk?

You may not believe valid reasons exist for playing games in Little Rock, but you are mistaken.  Are those reasons outweighed by reasons weighing in favor of all games in Fayetteville?  Maybe.  But to say no reasons exist at all is a bit juvenile.

They exist in your mind, that's for sure. Are you going to just pick certain games as the reasons for your argument? Go back and look at some of the attendance at WMS, it isn't/wasn't always full, lol. I'm full aware that RRS depends on fans from the rest of the state to fill it, and they will continue to attend, they're Razorback fans, not WMS fans. Start a poll, find out how many Razorback fans will quit supporting and attending games if they move all of them to the campus, I think you'll be surprised.

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on January 03, 2016, 01:05:29 pm
They exist in your mind, that's for sure. Are you going to just pick certain games as the reasons for your argument? Go back and look at some of the attendance at WMS, it isn't/wasn't always full, lol. I'm full aware that RRS depends on fans from the rest of the state to fill it, and they will continue to attend, they're Razorback fans, not WMS fans. Start a poll, find out how many Razorback fans will quit supporting and attending games if they move all of them to the campus, I think you'll be surprised.

You're getting desperate. 

geauxhawgs

+1^^^^^^

GoldenCOHog

What if I told you that roads will take you to NWA and that gas is really cheap?  What then?

ricepig

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 03, 2016, 01:07:03 pm
You're getting desperate. 

Desperate?? Not at all, you're the one crying about the move, it's coming, embrace it and move on.

ricepig

Quote from: GoldenCOHog on January 03, 2016, 01:08:05 pm
What if I told you that roads will take you to NWA and that gas is really cheap?  What then?

When I drive, there are lots of cars flying flags and with magnets on their cars starting at Newport. By the time you hit Conway, it's a calvary.

IronHog

Quote from: ricepig on January 03, 2016, 01:05:29 pm

Arkansas has already lost a ton of hardcore fans across the state.

It's all about corporate money now anyway.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

ricepig

Quote from: IronHog on January 03, 2016, 01:29:17 pm

Arkansas has already lost a ton of hardcore fans across the state.

It's all about corporate money now anyway.

Ok, I guess they weren't as hardcore as you thought, that, or we have different definitions of hardcore.

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on January 03, 2016, 01:11:06 pm
Desperate?? Not at all, you're the one crying about the move, it's coming, embrace it and move on.

Hardly crying about anything.  Your strategy, when faced with the truth, is to change the subject or avoid the question.  You have an opinion and you are entitled to it, but you are unable to rebut the truth, and therefore you resort to maligning the messenger rather than refute the message.   

ricepig

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 03, 2016, 01:34:25 pm
Hardly crying about anything.  Your strategy, when faced with the truth, is to change the subject or avoid the question.  You have an opinion and you are entitled to it, but you are unable to rebut the truth, and therefore you resort to maligning the messenger rather than refute the message.   

Rebut the truth?? You've not provided one single bit of proof that it will change anyone's fandom or support. I'm fully aware of what happened years ago, the problem with that, it was years ago. Show me some proof of changing from 4 to 3 to 2 to 1 game  have hurt our program. Or that dropping the last game will do any damage? You can't, you like to rely on facts from the 60's and 70's.

bphi11ips

Quote from: GoldenCOHog on January 03, 2016, 01:08:05 pm

What if I told you this:

"European Americans have a strong presence in the northwestern Ozarks and the central part of the state. African Americans live mainly in the southern and eastern parts of the state."

Wikipedia, "Demographics of Arkansas", January 4, 2016.

Can you guarantee how long gas will be "cheap" (a relative term)?  Is gas "cheap" enough to offset the price of a hotel room and a few meals out? 

Again - the question is whether there are good reasons for playing a game in Little Rock, not whether they should be played there or not.  Ricepig asserts there are NO reasons whatsoever.  Do you agree?

scruf

Games at WMS are detrimental to recruiting (on campus visits) and don't have the potential to make as much money as games at DWRRS. What'd I miss?

IronHog

Quote from: ricepig on January 03, 2016, 01:31:41 pm
Ok, I guess they weren't as hardcore as you thought, that, or we have different definitions of hardcore.

UofA earned their apathy.

Maybe they can move the last LR game to Dallas.

ricepig

Quote from: IronHog on January 03, 2016, 01:47:53 pm

UofA earned their apathy.

Maybe they can move the last LR game to Dallas.

Weren't too hardcore then, I guess that one game a year in LR was the straw.....

GoldenCOHog

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 03, 2016, 01:43:15 pm
What if I told you this:

"European Americans have a strong presence in the northwestern Ozarks and the central part of the state. African Americans live mainly in the southern and eastern parts of the state."

Wikipedia, "Demographics of Arkansas", January 4, 2016.

Can you guarantee how long gas will be "cheap" (a relative term)?  Is gas "cheap" enough to offset the price of a hotel room and a few meals out? 

Again - the question is whether there are good reasons for playing a game in Little Rock, not whether they should be played there or not.  Ricepig asserts there are NO reasons whatsoever.  Do you agree?

I do agree.  The school is in Fayetteville.

If you're too lazy to drive and pack a lunch, don't make us relocate a game for you. 

LR games were relevant when LR HS athletics produced talent. 

IronHog

Quote from: ricepig on January 03, 2016, 01:50:53 pm
Weren't too hardcore then, I guess that one game a year in LR was the straw.....

Product stinks.  People have moved on.

Most UA grads high tail it out of state ASAP...... no ties to school+bad football='s erosion of fan support

GoldenCOHog

Quote from: IronHog on January 03, 2016, 01:53:29 pm

Most UA grads high tail it out of state ASAP...... no ties to school+bad football='s erosion of fan support

Yeah, that an the god-awful job market in Arkansas.  Masters degree, sure man, can we start you at $12.75/hour?  LOL, no thanks Gomer!

ricepig

Quote from: IronHog on January 03, 2016, 01:53:29 pm

I don't know where you live, but despite having ASU in town, Jonesboro is 80% Hog fans. All you have to do is look at the front or rear of a vehicle, lol.

So, are you saying this erosion of fans has occurred since 2011, or before?

IronHog

Quote from: GoldenCOHog on January 03, 2016, 01:54:41 pm
Yeah, that an the god-awful job market in Arkansas.  Masters degree, sure man, can we start you at $12.75/hour?  LOL, no thanks Gomer!

What happens when your one big college is poorly positioned.

IronHog

Quote from: ricepig on January 03, 2016, 01:57:19 pm
I don't know where you live, but despite having ASU in town, Jonesboro is 80% Hog fans. All you have to do is look at the front or rear of a vehicle, lol.

Since the late 80's.

Garb on vehicles is irrelevant.  You've seen the duck killer stickers I'm sure.

ricepig

Quote from: GoldenCOHog on January 03, 2016, 01:54:41 pm

Hmm, maybe you chose a bad profession.

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on January 03, 2016, 01:42:48 pm
Rebut the truth?? You've not provided one single bit of proof that it will change anyone's fandom or support. I'm fully aware of what happened years ago, the problem with that, it was years ago. Show me some proof of changing from 4 to 3 to 2 to 1 game  have hurt our program. Or that dropping the last game will do any damage? You can't, you like to rely on facts from the 60's and 70's.

I've cited no facts from the 60's or 70's.  Arkansas played 3 games a year in Little Rock through 2002, two games from 2002 to 2013, and one per year the last two.  2016 will see the worst game on the schedule. 

There is no "evidence", be it data, anectodotal, or otherwise, from which to analyze yet the effect moving games from Little Rock will have on fan loyalty throughout the state. 

I really have no dog in the fight at all, other than that which comes from being an alum and a fan.  I've lived in Nashville for 25 years and can afford to go to a game anytime and anywhere I like.  I go to more road games now than homes games.  Nashville is conveniently located for SEC fans of all stripes. 

You appear to be unable to analyze both sides of the coin with honesty.  The inconvenient truth is that statewide Razorbacks loyalty is likely to suffer after games are completely removed from Little Rock.  Only time will tell whether the destination was worth the fare.  The situation can be mitigated, however, with some grace from NWA fans and the administration.  So far I have seen little of that from fans, if Hogville is any indication, and the administration is outright butchering the PR element of the move.     

bphi11ips

Quote from: GoldenCOHog on January 03, 2016, 01:52:44 pm
I do agree.  The school is in Fayetteville.

If you're too lazy to drive and pack a lunch, don't make us relocate a game for you. 

LR games were relevant when LR HS athletics produced talent. 

Little Rock produces the same talent that it has always produced.  And it is not just Little Rock in question here.  Recent examples are so obvious that they don't need to be mentioned.

This is the mentality that threatens the program.   

ricepig

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 03, 2016, 02:01:17 pm
I've cited no facts from the 60's or 70's.  Arkansas played 3 games a year in Little Rock through 2002, two games from 2002 to 2013, and one per year the last two.  2016 will see the worst game on the schedule. 

There is no "evidence", be it data, anectodotal, or otherwise, from which to analyze yet the effect moving games from Little Rock will have on fan loyalty throughout the state. 

I really have no dog in the fight at all, other than that which comes from being an alum and a fan.  I've lived in Nashville for 25 years and can afford to go to a game anytime and anywhere I like.  I go to more road games now than homes games.  Nashville is conveniently located for SEC fans of all stripes. 

You appear to be unable to analyze both sides of the coin with honesty.  The inconvenient truth is that statewide Razorbacks loyalty is likely to suffer after games are completely removed from Little Rock.  Only time will tell whether the destination was worth the fare.  The situation can be mitigated, however, with some grace from NWA fans and the administration.  So far I have seen little of that from fans, if Hogville is any indication, and the administration is outright butchering the PR element of the move.     

Whoa, which one of us is having problems accepting the truth? I don't live in NWA, I live in NEA. I too am  an alum and a fan and I think all the games should be on campus. You do realize HV and reality rarely are the same? Should the administration and NWA kneel down and kiss the rest of Arkansas' rings?

Whatever, the games are numbered, true Hog fans will continue to be true Hog fans, I guess we'll find out about you and several others.

BR

Quote from: scruf on January 03, 2016, 07:07:29 am
Just like Missouri keeps the whole state Tiger country by playing at Jefferson City and Wyoming keeps the whole state Cowboy country by playing in Cheyenne and Syracuse keeps the whole state Orange country by playing in Albany and West Virginia keeps the whole state Mountaineer country by playing at Charleston and UConn keeps the whole state Husky country by playing at Hartford and Maryland keeps the whole state Terrapin country by playing at Annapolis and Tennessee keeps the whole state Volunteer country by playing in Nashville and...
MizZou does not play games in Jeff City... They play some games Football at Arrowhead (KC) and Basketball in STL...
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on January 03, 2016, 02:08:44 pm
Whoa, which one of us is having problems accepting the truth? I don't live in NWA, I live in NEA. I too am  an alum and a fan and I think all the games should be on campus. You do realize HV and reality rarely are the same? Should the administration and NWA kneel down and kiss the rest of Arkansas' rings?

Whatever, the games are numbered, true Hog fans will continue to be true Hog fans, I guess we'll find out about you and several others.

Games in Little Rock have no bearing whatsover on me.  Obfuscation doesn't change the issues. 

bphi11ips

GoldenCOHog

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 03, 2016, 02:38:31 pm
You'll be surprised how much you'll learn in your next thirty years.

You must be a Boomer.  You did so good running America into the ground, might as well take the program with you. 

Pulled(PP)pork

I came along late to games in little rock, went to one, won't go back.  I'd rather drive the extra 2.5hrs to more beautiful country and better facilities

PP

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 02, 2016, 10:29:21 pm
You can't get there from here.
We had to build some Bailey bridges around Forrest City to get across the Mighty Mississippi and I heard a few pontoon bridges were built down at Wake Village to get across the big river. I suppose the KSU fans just don't have the technology yet.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

bphi11ips

The irony of this thread is that the statewide support created by generations of Razorbacks fans attending games in Little Rock was the driving force behind 50,000 fans in Memphis yesterday. 

GuvHog

Quote from: ricepig on January 03, 2016, 12:08:36 pm
Both, and no good reasons exist anymore. Why would you limit the students, and another 10,000 to see a potential game?

I suppose you didn't notice the dismal attendance in Fayetteville for the Missouri did you?? Playing LSU in Fayetteville on the day after Thanksgiving draws a great attendance. Missouri doesn't. When they switched the opponent from LSU to Missouri, they should have moved the game back to WMS until the U of A decides not to renew the contract to play their. That will happen eventually
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Country Stylz

Round of applause for the 870 Hog fans. Showed up and made some noise. Nice.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on January 03, 2016, 02:44:34 pm
I came along late to games in little rock, went to one, won't go back.  I'd rather drive the extra 2.5hrs to more beautiful country and better facilities

PP

You must have been in a box.   ;)

The hog meister

I came along late to games in little rock, went to one, won't go back.  I'd rather drive the extra 2.5hrs to more beautiful country and better facilities   I do not believe UA Monticello has better facilities than Little Rock but I haven't attended a game there like you have. Wait you may be talking about SAU. My bad!    WPS

GuvHog

Quote from: ricepig on January 03, 2016, 01:57:19 pm

Yet when you walk into Ruby Tuesdays up there where they display athletic paraphernalia on the walls, you see plenty of ASU stuff but no Hog stuff at all. I wonder why???
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

ricepig

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 03, 2016, 02:52:05 pm
The irony of this thread is that the statewide support created by generations of Razorbacks fans attending games in Little Rock was the driving force behind 50,000 fans in Memphis yesterday. 

Of course you have statistical proof to back this up??? Yeah, just more whining about games you don't attend. The vast majority in my section wouldn't care where they played, as long as they served beer, or so it appeared.

GoldenCOHog

Quote from: GuvHog on January 03, 2016, 03:05:27 pm
Yet when you walk into Ruby Tuesdays up there where they display athletic paraphernalia on the walls, you see plenty of ASU stuff but no Hog stuff at all. I wonder why???

Ruby Tuesday's sucks?

IronHog

Quote from: ricepig on January 03, 2016, 03:04:53 pm
Of course you have statistical proof to back this up??? Yeah, just more whining about games you don't attend. The vast majority in my section wouldn't care where they played, as long as they served beer, or so it appeared.

From the NFL games I've been to they couldn't attract even a token crowd without beer sales.

I'd say it's coming to the SEC as technology makes it easier to stay on the couch.

ricepig

Quote from: GuvHog on January 03, 2016, 03:05:27 pm

I didn't realize people ate there, my condolences.

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on January 03, 2016, 03:04:53 pm

Your desperation is showing again.  I'll give you credit for having good enough sense to know why Arkansas has statewide support, just not the grace to admit it.

And I went to the game yesterday. 

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on January 03, 2016, 03:13:00 pm
I didn't realize people ate there, my condolences.

501 Club is much more your style.  The little people have to eat, too.

GoldenCOHog

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 03, 2016, 03:17:29 pm

Little people don't have to eat garbage either. 

opineonswine

Arkansas is a SMALL state population-wise but large in area.  That hasn't changed much in the scheme of things.  NWA is a SMALL metropolitan area too isolated to fill a 75,000 seat stadium on a regular basis. 

You may not believe valid reasons exist for playing games in Little Rock, but you are mistaken.  Are those reasons outweighed by reasons weighing in favor of all games in Fayetteville? 

First of all, NWA metro area is as big as most of the SEC schools and bigger than some, like Auburn, Ole Miss, Miss State.  And is HAS changed significantly since the heyday of WMS.  The growth in NWA in the last two decades rivals any area in the nation and is well-documented.  The population of NWA is now 500,000.  Link you ask:  http://www.nwabusinessjournal.com/13296/nwa-population-approaches-500000-mark
So that "excuse" is dead wrong.

The state-wide support for the Razorbacks is not dependent upon playing a game in LR.  There are no other teams to root for in the state.  Some of the best fans are from areas outside of NWA.  We desperately need to retain that support.  Winning and being competitive in our league is almost a guarantee to retain that support.  A few disgruntled fans that are bitter about the venue won't damage the program.

That said, there are NO valid reasons to keep playing games in LR.  It's a burden on the team in addition to being financially stupid. 

The transition away from playing there despite the lack of valid reasons for doing so, has been handled extremely well by Jeff Long and the University administration. 

Arkansas has mostly great fans and some that like to gripe and moan about the most minor of things.  That "home field" advantage we enjoyed in Memphis is important to move to Fayetteville, particularly when the north end zone is enclosed.

ricepig

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 03, 2016, 03:17:17 pm
Your desperation is showing again.  I'll give you credit for having good enough sense to know why Arkansas has statewide support, just not the grace to admit it.

And I went to the game yesterday. 

There's no desperation, only you throwing out shiite without any facts to back it up. Arkansas will have statewide support 30 years after we quit playing in LR. I tell you what, you don't post on WMS until those 30 years pass, and I'll do the same.

ricepig

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 03, 2016, 03:17:29 pm

Are you kidding, they'll let people buy memberships at the door.......