Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New OL Coach

Started by GrizzlyRider07, January 01, 2016, 02:32:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: texas tush hog on January 04, 2016, 10:30:39 am
That was my understanding.

Yeah, and no need to see Kirkland now.......

Mike Irwin

Quote from: ricepig on January 04, 2016, 10:42:21 am
Yeah, and no need to see Kirkland now.......
He said what he said almost two weeks ago not now after Kirkland's decision is known. Also Collins has remained silent so far.

It's also possible that he wasn't thinking about the dead period when he said that about going on the road with the new coach. He was answering a question about the timetable for hiring a new O-line coach not recruiting.

greenie

What's the feeling about
http://www.49ers.com/team/coaches/Chris-Foerster/2439d02f-d402-49e3-8353-b83972d4b9bd

Lots of NFL experience, but no recent college experience.  I know nothing about him other than it looks like the coaching change in SF will likely make him available. 

ricepig

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 04, 2016, 10:49:47 am
He said what he said almost two weeks ago not now after Kirkland's decision is known. Also Collins has remained silent so far.

It's also possible that he wasn't thinking about the dead period when he said that about going on the road with the new coach. He was answering a question about the timetable for hiring a new O-line coach not recruiting.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure we all saw the PC and when he said it. He also might have been referring to have him on board the first week of recruiting. Without asking him, we'll never no, and one thing for sure, he'll hire him on his timetable, not ours.

moley_russells_wart_hog

not to be a downer he did hire markuson once upon a time

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: moley_russells_wart_hog on January 04, 2016, 03:42:09 pm

That's about all you can get for 255k.

Hired Bostad from New Mexico, Hired Pittman and promoted Now Minn Oline coach Bart Miller after 3 games to take Markuson's spot

Inhogswetrust

Everyone makes mistakes. It didn't take him long to realize that mistake and correct it.......................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

BigoBoys

And then fired him.

AugustaHog

I'm not sure when he will make/announce the hire, but I know (based off of his direct quotes in the PC) he wants to have them road-ready by the time the dead period ends.  He specifically indicated that he wanted to introduce him to our OL commit/recruits personally.  That would indicate that we should expect something no later than the middle of next week.  If he doesn't already have his guy, I would expect some networking/interviewing to take place at the coaches convention with a pretty swift hire to follow.

hobhog

Now that NY Giants coach Caughlin resigned it opens that staff up....

stahawg

Does anyone know the status of Bob Bostad with the Titans and Jeff Stoutland with the Eagles?  Are these guys actually without a job at the moment with the respective head coaches of both programs gone? I have read both may be candidates for our OL coaching opening.  Either would be excellent.  Coach B is keeping it close to the vest as he should but I'm ready to get this guy on board.  We have the potential to close out potentially the best class in our history and adding some more linemen are essential of which one of these guys can do!  :razorback: Go Hogs!  :razorback:

Bkhardicars

Yeah he hired Markuson, but he fired him pretty quick when he realized his mistake.

JHicks3636

San Diego let 6 assistants go including OC Frank Reich and O-line Coach Joe D'Alessandris. Reich was a QB in his playing days and has primarily coached QBs and receivers. Joe D has coached O-line for 35 of his 37 year career in both college and the pros-including NFL, Canadian Football League, and World Football League. At least plenty of experience. Maybe CBB was waiting to see who would be available from the pro ranks. His timing makes some sense for that. Of course the wait also lets him see who is available from the college ranks as well.

SquidBilly

I suspect we'll hear something about the hire late this week.  The guy will need to have time to get here, get coordinated with our recruiting targets for the OL, and also coordinate any family logistics before having to hit the road for two weeks straight.  Not something that can be done in a day.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Bret Squealema on January 04, 2016, 07:34:56 pm
  The guy will need to have time to get here, get coordinated with our recruiting targets for the OL, and also coordinate any family logistics before having to hit the road for two weeks straight. 

Usually, the family stays where they have been living to minimize moving hassles at such a busy recruiting time.  This makes the newly hired coach less worried about too many things and eases pressure on the family.

Changing jobs for coaches is not as difficult as it used to be in the stone age...

reddogjcss

I think it will Robert Thomas

Pork Twain

Quote from: JHicks3636 on January 04, 2016, 07:13:07 pm
San Diego let 6 assistants go including OC Frank Reich and O-line Coach Joe D'Alessandris. Reich was a QB in his playing days and has primarily coached QBs and receivers. Joe D has coached O-line for 35 of his 37 year career in both college and the pros-including NFL, Canadian Football League, and World Football League. At least plenty of experience. Maybe CBB was waiting to see who would be available from the pro ranks. His timing makes some sense for that. Of course the wait also lets him see who is available from the college ranks as well.

Pretty sure we are good at QB
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

SquidBilly

Quote from: Hoggish1 on January 04, 2016, 07:46:41 pm
Usually, the family stays where they have been living to minimize moving hassles at such a busy recruiting time.  This makes the newly hired coach less worried about too many things and eases pressure on the family.

Changing jobs for coaches is not as difficult as it used to be in the stone age...

Yes but leaving your family in another state for a month requires more planning than just a quick goodbye and a ride to the airport.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Bret Squealema on January 04, 2016, 09:19:08 pm
Yes but leaving your family in another state for a month requires more planning than just a quick goodbye and a ride to the airport.
Not if your wife is even semi-capable.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

deedster84

January 05, 2016, 04:32:57 am #69 Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 06:00:33 am by deedster84
Either Eagles or Titans ex OL coaches would make me happy. Both with lots of college experience. All I know is, I hate when there are no rumors to talk about.

Eagles: http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/team/coaches/jeff-stoutland/0996ce67-3e54-4da0-803d-3c0def13c7a0

Titans: http://www.titansonline.com/team/coaches/Bostad_Bob/910e7654-7ac2-4d50-b550-d754d72a90d8

Hoggish1

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 04, 2016, 09:23:29 pm
Not if your wife is even semi-capable.

Bingo...  And most of them have been to this rodeo before.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Bret Squealema on January 04, 2016, 09:19:08 pm

It didn't for Enos. He brought his family in later and for good reason. You are immediately busy as a Coach, you need to time to look for a house (even with University assistance), you might have kids in school that you don't want to transfer at mid year, got to put your own house on the market, etc. But wives of coaches are accustomed to this type of thing.
Go Hogs Go!

AugustaHog

Quote from: deedster84 on January 05, 2016, 04:32:57 am
Either Eagles or Titans ex OL coaches would make me happy. Both with lots of college experience. All I know is, I hate when there are no rumors to talk about.

Eagles: http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/team/coaches/jeff-stoutland/0996ce67-3e54-4da0-803d-3c0def13c7a0

Titans: http://www.titansonline.com/team/coaches/Bostad_Bob/910e7654-7ac2-4d50-b550-d754d72a90d8
I'll take Stoutland.  Those Bama OLs he had were insane. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 05, 2016, 08:01:18 am
It didn't for Enos. He brought his family in later and for good reason. You are immediately busy as a Coach, you need to time to look for a house (even with University assistance), you might have kids in school that you don't want to transfer at mid year, got to put your own house on the market, etc. But wives of coaches are accustomed to this type of thing.

If there are any married people that should be experts at moving it is military and coaching couples.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Pork Twain

Quote from: Hoggish1 on January 05, 2016, 07:11:02 am
Bingo...  And most of them have been to this rodeo before.
I am no high paid college coach, but while I was on a 1 year remote to Korea, my wife was somehow able to move our family from Albuquerque to Colorado Springs, get a job and get our kids into a good school.  I am sure that the wives of these coaches can manage, especially with the added funds they have, unless they are completely useless.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 05, 2016, 10:54:15 am
I am no high paid college coach, but while I was on a 1 year remote to Korea, my wife was somehow able to move our family from Albuquerque to Colorado Springs, get a job and get our kids into a good school.  I am sure that the wives of these coaches can manage, especially with the added funds they have, unless they are completely useless.

You are probably correct Pork, but I dont think anyone is quite as capable as a military wife.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

HoggieStyle

Give it to the GA they were talking about on the Liberty Bowl broadcast. He seems to have hit it out of the park.

PorkRinds

Quote from: HoggieStyle on January 05, 2016, 11:15:24 am
Give it to the GA they were talking about on the Liberty Bowl broadcast. He seems to have hit it out of the park.

No, don't.  We need a guy that's a proven coach, and likely a proven recruiter unless he's from the NFL.  First year coaches fresh off a GA is not what we need, and coach B has already said as much.  I would love to see Mateos come back at some point though in some form.

havok

Wonder if Coach B is waiting to see what Saban does after the Championship game..and holding off a hire in case he wants to make a run for Bama OL coach Mario Christobal should Saban decide to move on to NFL again, or retire while at the Top.

lilRockNDubb

Quote from: havok on January 05, 2016, 11:41:36 am
Wonder if Coach B is waiting to see what Saban does after the Championship game..and holding off a hire in case he wants to make a run for Bama OL coach Mario Christobal should Saban decide to move on to NFL again, or retire while at the Top.

I don't want a guy who's name keeps popping up for head coaching jobs. I want an OLine coach who's gonna be here for at least 3 years.

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Quote from: HoggieStyle on January 05, 2016, 11:15:24 am

He did well, except for FG protection by the OL.

EFBAB

SouthMisscoHawg

I'm ready for it to b announced!  I'm ready to move on!!!

PorkRinds

Boardon Hamsay

Anyone keeping an eye on the NWA restaurant scene? I bet there's an OL coach having dinner at either Powerhouse or Tusk n Trotter.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

BorderPatrol

Wow, this seems like an original thread idea.

bp

h0gfan6

It's rumored that CBB is going to delay the hire for a month every time he sees one of these threads.

Thanks OP.  Look what you've done. 

codeHog

lumphog

O-line coach ???  What happened to our O-line coach ???

jackflash

May I ask who is Robert Thomas

Cassperr

Show me a guy whos afraid to look bad, and I'll show you a guy you can beat every time.

HoggieStyle

Quote from: exit followed by a boar on January 05, 2016, 12:26:11 pm
He did well, except for FG protection by the OL.

EFBAB

True, but that happened a few times this season, before it got dumped in his lap.

Still a valid point.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: jackflash on January 05, 2016, 11:36:22 pm
Robert Shields is Robert Thomas' screen name. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Scarlett Johansson's Liberally and Amply Slathered Frito Pie on January 05, 2016, 07:16:05 pm
Anyone keeping an eye on the NWA restaurant scene? I bet there's an OL coach having dinner at either Powerhouse or Tusk n Trotter.

If they eat at Powerhouse I don't want them.

reddogjcss

Robert played for Razorbacks in Coach B first year, broke leg half way through, DL, then off to NFL for few years.

BenDial

http://www.buccaneers.com/team/coaches/Butch-Barry/f0866636-9808-46cb-95de-b16efdc4900b

With the Lovie Smith firing, Enos's offensive line coach from Central Michigan may jump into consideration.

deedster84

Quote from: jackflash on January 05, 2016, 11:36:22 pm
Jon Gruden's alter ego. Like Stephen King used Richard Bachman. Get to try different personas.

COACHINTEXAS

I think the visit to Florida is getting blown out of proportion. You guys do realize that Jen is from Florida. I just see it as a lil R&R from them before the big push. No pun intended
No one plans to fail, they fail to plan!!!!

HOGINTENNESSEE

January 07, 2016, 11:38:49 am #97 Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 12:49:35 pm by HOGINTENNESSEE
Quote from: BenDial on January 06, 2016, 11:57:36 pm
http://www.buccaneers.com/team/coaches/Butch-Barry/f0866636-9808-46cb-95de-b16efdc4900b

With the Lovie Smith firing, Enos's offensive line coach from Central Michigan may jump into consideration.

If they go with an Enos asst IMO it would be Cummings from Uconn who was the Oline coach for the majority of his time a CMU and was the Oline coach for #1 overall pick Eric Fisher

www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/mike_cummings_880849.html

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: COACHINTEXAS on January 07, 2016, 10:03:20 am
I think the visit to Florida is getting blown out of proportion. You guys do realize that Jen is from Florida. I just see it as a lil R&R from them before the big push. No pun intended

It's Hogville.........EVERYTHING gets blown out of proportion.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

I heard Bill Parcells and the ghost of Bill Walsh are interested.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?