Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dear Jeff Long

Started by greenEGnHAWGS, January 11, 2017, 11:53:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dear Jeff, It occurred to me that your job title may be all wrong.  I heard you were hired as the University of Arkansas, Director of Athletics or Athletic Director.  If that is your title and your job, I worry that you may not realize the direction the Athletics are going.  When I hear that you are building some great things on the Hill, I wonder if you are actually the University Construction Superintendent.  Of course, many of my associates on Hogville remind me that the AD job requires some structure building. 

Back to this direction thing, if you are the athletics director when do you plan to change direction with the athletics part of your job?  Maybe this building stuff you are doing is way over equipping this athletics area.  This finest of structure may be way too much for this below average department.  Would you give a 16 year old a Rolls Royce, a beginning pilot a Lear Jet, turn over a billion dollar company to a 8th grader. 

Maybe you should let up on this building thing a bit until its earned and do a little directing of those athletics thingys.  Direction, just like in your title could be just what the Doctor ordered for this downhill spirial we call UofA Athletics.

a0ashle

I prefer my management to be level headed and big picture people. I can't imagine trying to match the emotional swings of a fan base while trying to do what's best for the University and its athletics.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on January 12, 2017, 10:55:58 am
Jeff you have been an inspiration to me. I now tell all my clients not to expect much and then look great being average. My employees love me because no matter how bad they do, I give them all at least six years to prove themselves. It makes my job fun again! Doesn't really matter since I no longer have to be anything but average. Get this. When I lose I tell clients there are more important things than winning. More important things like upholding the integrity of the system. Cool huh? Imagine if I can get them all to believe this! I do have one small problem in that since I'm not the only game in town like you and the UA, I have been losing clients steadily. I guess there are always the shortsighted ones that think they are paying you to win. So I'm thinking about telling them that winning is....wait for it...a process! Sure they may lose for a few years but they are losing the right way! What do you think Jeff? Thanks for all you do!

This is the mindset that many on HV have taken without even thinking this whole thing through. Turning Arkansas into a powerhouse again from what it was is NOT an easy thing to do when we almost start from scratch. Were we there at one time? YES! So, it CAN be done...but we clamor for better recruits...so we make things more enticing for them to come. We aren't going to buy them all Cadillacs, so we sell them on a different point...family and education. It probably wont bring in the 5*s that don't care about that, but it will interest many hard working 3 and 4*s that are willing to work hard.

Your fallacy here is that JL isn't frantically trying to figure out how to improve the W column. You just see back to back 4th quarter blunders and think "Jeff Long is trying to tell us that this is ALL THAT HE WANTS and WE NEED TO BE OK WITH IT!" When you and I both know VERY well that this is NOT the case. What Coach/AD/GM/CEO/etc would ever have this mindset? They don't. We just get frustrated and have to point fingers at someone.

JL and CBB WILL be responsible if this ship never turns around and W's don't start coming in. But if you think JL is content with this, then you are sadly mistaken. You painted a picture of him TELLING everyone its ok to be mediocre, when in all reality, its more like 2 men who see their legacies and clout resting on a balance and doing whatever they can to make this program swing the right way when the average person calling for his head doesn't understand what EXACTLY that takes.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

GuvHog

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on January 12, 2017, 04:57:03 pm
This is the mindset that many on HV have taken without even thinking this whole thing through. Turning Arkansas into a powerhouse again from what it was is NOT an easy thing to do when we almost start from scratch. Were we there at one time? YES! So, it CAN be done...but we clamor for better recruits...so we make things more enticing for them to come. We aren't going to buy them all Cadillacs, so we sell them on a different point...family and education. It probably wont bring in the 5*s that don't care about that, but it will interest many hard working 3 and 4*s that are willing to work hard.

Your fallacy here is that JL isn't frantically trying to figure out how to improve the W column. You just see back to back 4th quarter blunders and think "Jeff Long is trying to tell us that this is ALL THAT HE WANTS and WE NEED TO BE OK WITH IT!" When you and I both know VERY well that this is NOT the case. What Coach/AD/GM/CEO/etc would ever have this mindset? They don't. We just get frustrated and have to point fingers at someone.

JL and CBB WILL be responsible if this ship never turns around and W's don't start coming in. But if you think JL is content with this, then you are sadly mistaken. You painted a picture of him TELLING everyone its ok to be mediocre, when in all reality, its more like 2 men who see their legacies and clout resting on a balance and doing whatever they can to make this program swing the right way when the average person calling for his head doesn't understand what EXACTLY that takes.

There's a reason he was in danger of being fired from Pittsburgh when the U of A hired him and it wasn't because he was hiring good coaches.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: a0ashle on January 12, 2017, 04:37:25 pm
I prefer my management to be level headed and big picture people. I can't imagine trying to match the emotional swings of a fan base while trying to do what's best for the University and its athletics.

^ Just might be post of the year so far!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Kevin

Just like to know how important winning is to our ad.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Redhogs

Quote from: a0ashle on January 12, 2017, 12:22:37 pm
So you agree we aren't there now.

Profitable athletic department, rising APR, attendance increase the last 3 years while raising tix prices.
And a below .500 winning percentage in SEC and total games played. You forgot to add that little nugget to his big accomplishments. And I agree we are not there yet, due to the stupidly high buy out for Bert.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Redhogs

Quote from: Kevin on January 12, 2017, 07:26:40 pm
Just like to know how important winning is to our ad.
He's told us in his tweets, not very.

a0ashle

Quote from: Redhogs on January 12, 2017, 07:50:10 pm
He's told us in his tweets, not very.

Ignorant. He said in that very tweet that they would make changes... but you skipped over that after you found something you thought supported your conclusion that our AD doesn't care about wins.

wachhog

Quote from: GuvHog on January 12, 2017, 11:16:32 am
Well done! Very well done!!
Yep. Love it!
And to think Terry Don Phillips told ESPN that he knew he had to hire someone who could win big at Clemson because he, Terry Don, didn't want to LOSE HIS JOB as Clemson AD. He lived in a different world and had a different job description, I guess.

wachhog

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on January 12, 2017, 03:45:18 pm
Dear Mr. Long:

You are undoubtedly the best little department organizer since Abe Lincoln hired George B. McClellan to run the Army of the Potomac.  Not many people remember General McClellan these days.  That probably has something to do with his last job performance review:  "If you don't want to use the army, I should like to borrow it for a while. Yours respectfully, A. Lincoln."

Sincerely,
One of many Arkansas Razorback fans still waiting patiently for facilities and coaching hires to translate into banner hanging performance.
Geez. Why did you have to remind of that banner flying near the stadium the season after Petrino was fired: JEFF LONG FOR PRESIDENT.
Must have been hung by Integrity Hog. Arriving on my beloved campus from the east coast for a trip I had planned while Bobby was still there, I thought I'd throw up. The memory still makes me want to throw up.

HoggieStyle

Tusks

Quote from: wachhog on January 12, 2017, 09:37:52 pm
Yep. Love it!
And to think Terry Don Phillips told ESPN that he knew he had to hire someone who could win big at Clemson because he, Terry Don, didn't want to LOSE HIS JOB as Clemson AD. He lived in a different world and had a different job description, I guess.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

greenEGnHAWGS

January 12, 2017, 10:08:53 pm #63 Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 10:28:56 pm by greenEGnHAWGS
Quote from: Redhogs on January 12, 2017, 07:49:14 pm
And a below .500 winning percentage in SEC and total games played. You forgot to add that little nugget to his big accomplishments. And I agree we are not there yet, due to the stupidly high buy out for Bret.

Wait...the REASON for sub .500 winning percentage was because the paper on CBBs  contract has a big number by his buy out clause?! By George! Or maybe...just MAYBE...it's cuz we started from scratch in the toughest division in the toughest conference in the NCAA. But ya know...you're probably right...it's the numbers on his paper..
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

biglewhog77

Hire Coach Houston Dale Nutt back

Fatty McGee

Quote from: hawg IQ on January 12, 2017, 07:57:54 am

Listen up, several things indicate J Long was never the man for Arkansas AD.  I always get killed for saying this, but he's from the NE part the US .  Doesn't know about fan bases and folks who live in the south.

Number two here in hogland its is not a business atmosphere. Razorbacks live and breathe being fans for one major team-  the "razorbacks" ! We talk about them, buy the gear, tee shirts, its part of who/what we are here.

B petrino brought it back to what we envision being hogs fans. So we fire him and now back to the old hum drum of weaker teams, no pride and losing records. Not only football, but basketball is awful left with no pride and no fans.

Maybe Petrino had to go, but that kind of excitement was "IT", that's what we want. If BB can do get it done fine, but patience is running thin.

And to the defenders of J Long, oh p-l-e-a-s-e ! just be quite for a while. hot seats and job worries are necessary before things start getting. We are all sick hearing about the high roads and such.

Your screen name is a misnomer.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

Fatty McGee

Quote from: GuvHog on January 12, 2017, 06:23:49 pm
There's a reason he was in danger of being fired from Pittsburgh when the U of A hired him and it wasn't because he was hiring good coaches.

Because you made that up since you have even less knowledge of the inner workings of Pitt athletics than you do Arkansas?

Shrevepork

Quote from: lrcentral on January 12, 2017, 07:18:55 am
Money and facilities are not magically going to generate more recruits produced in the immediate area around Fayetteville. Every school has nice stadiums, weight rooms, and athletic dorms. We are not magically going to start pulling in high level recruits because we have nice things. The Florida, Louisiana, Texas, Tennessee recruits can get all of that much closer to home. We need to stop playing crazy salaries for .500 records. Arkansas need to come to the realization that 8-4  is who we are and save the money on the so called great coaches. Bill Gates could give the athletic program 5 billion dollars and it would not produce more wins. If money solves problems why has Texas, Michigan, and Notre Dame been down for so long if it is just a simple fact of money? We need to realize who we are and adjust spending accordingly.

"Arkansas need to come to the realization that 8-4 is who we are..."
No, that's what you are. You accept mediocrity.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: Shrevepork on January 13, 2017, 05:06:32 am
"Arkansas need to come to the realization that 8-4 is who we are..."
No, that's what you are. You accept mediocrity.

I don't understand a fan saying "you accept mediocrity" to another fan.  What does that even mean?  None of us can change the product on the field.  The NCAA in fact specifically prohibits us from recruiting.  90% of fans know next to nothing about coaching or running a program.  So how does one "accept" or "not accept" the results of any particular season?

LZH

Quote from: Fatty McGee on January 13, 2017, 05:21:49 am
I don't understand a fan saying "you accept mediocrity" to another fan.  What does that even mean?  None of us can change the product on the field.  The NCAA in fact specifically prohibits us from recruiting.  90% of fans know next to nothing about coaching or running a program.  So how does one "accept" or "not accept" the results of any particular season?

If (I know...IF) we'd have beaten LaTech by two TD's, lost to A&M and Auburn by something like 35-31, and continued the throttling of Mizzou thru the 2nd half and won that game as we should have, I seriously doubt there would be much rumbling on here at all. And that includes, of all people, me.

I'm not sure it's the record that disappoints us so badly....it's how we lost, the apparent lack of adjustments, and the demeanor of the team/coaches during/after those losses are what pisses everyone off.

"Accepting mediocrity" is being OK with what we saw most of this year.

southeasthog

Quote from: LZH on January 13, 2017, 05:37:59 am

"Accepting mediocrity" is being OK with what we saw most of this year.
Again, who has posted or told you outright that what we saw was "OK?" Everyone I know was not ok with it and want some changes made. Changes are being made. Just because the ones that want Beliema fired aren't getting their way now it becomes "Ok with mediocrity."

LZH

Quote from: southeasthog on January 13, 2017, 05:57:21 am
Again, who has posted or told you outright that what we saw was "OK?" Everyone I know was not ok with it and want some changes made. Changes are being made. Just because the ones that want Beliema fired aren't getting their way now it becomes "Ok with mediocrity."

You know exactly what I mean.....the ritualistic practice of excuse-making.

Shrevepork

Quote from: Fatty McGee on January 13, 2017, 05:21:49 am

Some of us strive to be the best at what we do. What parent hasn't told their child that they can do better than a "C" average? What sales manager hasn't told the sales force that average is the way out the door? What coach has told his team not to expect to win them all? He wouldn't last as a coach. For a Razorback fan to say 8-4 is what we are is unfathomable to me.

Ask Coach Nutt if fans can attempt to change the product on the field.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: Shrevepork on January 13, 2017, 06:21:45 am
Some of us strive to be the best at what we do. What parent hasn't told their child that they can do better than a "C" average? What sales manager hasn't told the sales force that average is the way out the door? What coach has told his team not to expect to win them all? He wouldn't last as a coach. For a Razorback fan to say 8-4 is what we are is unfathomable to me.

That's great that you do that in things you can control.  You have no control over the product on the field.  You do not have any material effect on it, and won't unless you can singlehandedly increase the population base of Arkansas and SW Missouri to increase our recruiting pool.

Ask Coach Nutt if fans can attempt to change the product on the field.

They can attempt all they want, but their impact is negligible.  The guy was here for a decade and wasted more talent than looking back now seems possible to waste.

LZH

Quote from: Fatty McGee on January 13, 2017, 06:33:25 am
That's great that you do that in things you can control.  You have no control over the product on the field.  You do not have any material effect on it, and won't unless you can singlehandedly increase the population base of Arkansas and SW Missouri to increase our recruiting pool.

They can attempt all they want, but their impact is negligible.  The guy was here for a decade and wasted more talent than looking back now seems possible to waste.

You remind me of a question I have often thought about. This may be the wrong forum in which to ask but how much talent does the Tulsa area produce each year? That should be Razorback territory nearly as much as Sooner/Cowpoke territory.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: LZH on January 13, 2017, 06:02:20 am
You know exactly what I mean.....the ritualistic practice of excuse-making.

Funny how facts are always perceived as excuses to the "glass half empty" crowd.

Example: "There's a tornado outside, so I can't go and get your ice cream"

...tsk tsk...excuses excuses...

Hogwild

Quote from: Shrevepork on January 13, 2017, 06:21:45 am
For a Razorback fan to say 8-4 is what we are is unfathomable to me.

Yes, we haven't been a 4 loss team, but once in a blue moon since we joined the SEC. 6 coaches, a quarter century of football, and only 7 seasons with 4 losses or less. Only 3 seasons with fewer than 4 losses

CBB- 0 seasons with 4 losses or less
JLS- 0 seasons with 4 losses or less
BP- 2 seasons with 4 losses or less
Nutt- 5 seasons with 4 losses or less
Ford- 1 seasons with 4 losses or less (6-4-1)
Kines- 0 seasons with 4 losses or less

FANONTHEHILL

I'll just let this graphic be my comment.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

ATU HOG

ur

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: ATU HOG on January 13, 2017, 09:05:57 am
Is that the goal?
It's the best in the SEC.  Highest revenues in history and highest athletic department GPA in school history.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Poker_hog

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 13, 2017, 09:03:53 am
I'll just let this graphic be my comment.

We're killing it in sports nobody watches.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: Poker_hog on January 13, 2017, 10:00:59 am
We're killing it in sports nobody watches.
He's not the football director, he's the Athletic Deparmtent Director.  It's not just football and basketball.

Kevin

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 13, 2017, 10:00:18 am
It's the best in the SEC.  Highest revenues in history and highest athletic department GPA in school history.

so it is about money & grades, not wins
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

a0ashle

Quote from: Kevin on January 13, 2017, 10:07:33 am

Again, it's about MORE then wins. Wins are a factor, but I can promise you it's not as big of a factor as HV think it is, but that's because HV generally think FB wins are nearly all that matters.

We were trending up prior to this year, we stubbed our toe. Good leadership doesn't bail the first time things aren't as good as we want. You know, kinda like what we expect the team to do when met with adversity.

HV chicken littles are up in arms not for a bad season, but for a "not as good as we want season". When it's pointed out that this wasn't a bad season, they say "you're settling for mediocrity". No one is satisfied, but some don't Knee jerk when faced with adversity

Kevin

Quote from: a0ashle on January 13, 2017, 10:25:12 am
Again, it's about MORE then wins. Wins are a factor, but I can promise you it's not as big of a factor as HV think it is, but that's because HV generally think FB wins are nearly all that matters.

We were trending up prior to this year, we stubbed our toe. Good leadership doesn't bail the first time things aren't as good as we want. You know, kinda like what we expect the team to do when met with adversity.

HV chicken littles are up in arms not for a bad season, but for a "not as good as we want season". When it's pointed out that this wasn't a bad season, they say "you're settling for mediocrity". No one is satisfied, but some don't Knee jerk when faced with adversity

I didn't say anything about firing anyone.

just pointing out the priorities

pork in the whiskers

Quote from: Hogwild on January 12, 2017, 02:35:36 pm
While that is true, to put it into context, 64% of our total points come from the cross country teams, which powerhouse before Long step foot on campus.  I believe we've won close to a dozen national titles in cross country prior to his arrival.

How many have we won since his arrival... or put another way, since he ushered out the most successful coach in NCAA history.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: Kevin on January 13, 2017, 10:07:33 am

Always has been. 

FANONTHEHILL

January 13, 2017, 12:04:24 pm #88 Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 02:44:38 pm by FANONTHEHILL
College athletics is a 3 headed monster.   The business aspect, the academic aspect, and the on the field success aspect.  Individual fans may put more value on one or the other, but all three are important in the eyes of the U of A Board of Directors.

Redhogs

Quote from: a0ashle on January 12, 2017, 08:28:19 pm
Ignorant. He said in that very tweet that they would make changes... but you skipped over that after you found something you thought supported your conclusion that our AD doesn't care about wins.
Ignorant...yes you are. Here's a clue, neither one of your golden boys walk on water. Stop sniffing their back sides and you will discover this program has real problems at the top...if you care about winning that is.

Kevin

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 13, 2017, 12:04:24 pm
College athletics is a 3 headed monster.   The business aspect, the academic aspect, and the on the field success aspect.  Individual fans may put more value on one or the other, but all three are important in the eyes of the U of A Biard of Directirs.

with all the academic support players get up there these days, if they don't graduate in 4 or 4 1/2 years, that is on the player. so the academic part of it should be a given at this point.

if we are going to field teams, and spent all that money, then winning should be a major component of the formula. if not, cut budgets, cut salaries, and move to the patriot league with bucknell, holy cross, Lehigh, Lafayette and the rest of them.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: Kevin on January 13, 2017, 01:44:47 pm
with all the academic support players get up there these days, if they don't graduate in 4 or 4 1/2 years, that is on the player. so the academic part of it should be a given at this point.

if we are going to field teams, and spent all that money, then winning should be a major component of the formula. if not, cut budgets, cut salaries, and move to the patriot league with bucknell, holy cross, Lehigh, Lafayette and the rest of them.

Those schools aren't on ESPN, or get two-three hours of marketing every Saturday in the fall.  Until you understand the purpose of college sports, you'll continue to be frustrated as a Razorback fan.

Hogwild

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 13, 2017, 12:04:24 pm
College athletics is a 3 headed monster.   The business aspect, the academic aspect, and the on the field success aspect.  Individual fans may put more value on one or the other, but all three are important in the eyes of the U of A Biard of Directirs.

The might say that all three are important, and they have to say that, but we both know come in first in academics and last in the W/L column you are going to get fired.  Come in first in wins and last in academics you are going to get a raise.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: Redhogs on January 13, 2017, 12:25:57 pm
Ignorant...yes you are. Here's a clue, neither one of your golden boys walk on water. Stop sniffing their back sides and you will discover this program has real problems at the top...if you care about winning that is.

Wonderful over-reaction. Nobody ever says that our leadership "walks on water". Many just don't believe now is the time to throw in the towel on what we have here. If I had to choose between what we have and some "up and comer" who has potential, I'd like to keep what we have.

All that to say...yes...we need wins. If our staff can't produce that, then changes need to continue to be made...but now is not that time to start from scratch including ADJL and CBB. They most certainly aren't perfect, but I still believe they have as good a chance to get the job done here as any REALISTIC AD or coach you can come up with.

billmontgomery10

If Jeff Long wanted to do one thing right amidst all the blunders, he would raise Dave Van Horn's salary. The best coach at the UofA (and he wasn't hired by Long) who consistently fields competitive teams and has an outstanding record.

elviscat

Dear Jeff Long, Texas is calling.

a0ashle

Quote from: Redhogs on January 13, 2017, 12:25:57 pm

You conveniently ignored the flaw I pointed out in our original message. JL said they would make changes, changes are being made... If you think they don't care about winning, then I am not the one sniffing something.

GuvHog

Quote from: a0ashle on January 13, 2017, 09:01:46 pm
You conveniently ignored the flaw I pointed out in our original message. JL said they would make changes, changes are being made... If you think they don't care about winning, then I am not the one sniffing something.

Poppycock. All Jeff Long cares about is covering his own posterior.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Philibuster

Quote from: a0ashle on January 13, 2017, 09:01:46 pm
If Jeff long really cared about winning then Bert would have been gone after their last game!

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: Philibuster on January 14, 2017, 12:25:01 pm
If Jeff long really cared about winning then Bret would have been gone after their last game!

So...you REALLY think JL does NOT care about winning? Sure. Ok.