Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A way to establish a womens basketball program at the U of A

Started by jdlittle, January 15, 2017, 10:29:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jdlittle

Two words:   Joe Foley.   Unfortunately the wine and cheese crowd is more interested in the socialization aspect than have winning basketball program.  He is the best womens coach in the state of Arkansas.  Unfortunately the Ad is not very adept at hiring coaches:   football; basketball and womens basketball.  Did good at track though.   As I am well aware my opinion means little, but basketball folks know who could get it done.       

Hogtied85

He sucks. He can't even beat Western Kentucky right now. He's not recruiting lights out either. How many players has he recruited that went on to play in the WNBA? Chastity Reed. He needs to win at the highest level.

hoglady

Quote from: Hogtired10 on January 16, 2017, 06:19:02 am
He sucks. He can't even beat Western Kentucky right now. He's not recruiting lights out either. How many players has he recruited that went on to play in the WNBA? Chastity Reed. He needs to win at the highest level.

Foley sucks??
A mid-major doesn't have the recruiting ability of an Arkansas.
It's an apples and oranges comparison.
Foley has done a fantastic job for Little Rock after doing a fantastic job at Arkansas Tech.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

26.2Hog

He sucks.

Joe Foley, the 2010, 2011 and 2015 Sun Belt Conference Coach of the Year and 2010 Russell Athletic/WBCA Regional Coach of the Year, has led the Little Rock Women's Basketball program to 20-win seasons nine of the last 10 years, outright Sun Belt Conference West Division titles in the final six years the Sun Belt had divisions, post-season appearances in eight of the last nine years – including four NCAA berths – and Sun Belt Conference Tournament titles in 2011, 2012 and 2015. Foley has recorded a 720-225 (.762) career record.

At Arkansas Tech, the Golden Suns had six 30-win seasons under Foley and posted 16 consecutive 20-win seasons. Foley guided Arkansas Tech to back-to-back NAIA national championships in 1992 and 1993 and was the NCAA Division II national runner-up in 1999.
Under Foley, Arkansas Tech also won 14 conference championships, made six appearances in the NCAA Division II tournament and advanced to the Division II Elite Eight twice.

Wow, what a schmuck.   

jabberjawls

Anyone who says Joe Foley sucks is showing their ignorance.

tophawg19

he should have been hired instead of dykes who has brought nothing but a quick shot of publicity for hiring a sports announcer to coach
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

psycHOGlogist

Hogtied85

Quote from: jabberjawls on January 16, 2017, 11:12:58 am
Anyone who says Joe Foley sucks is showing their ignorance.

Joe Foley didn't interview for the Arkansas job. UALR is a NCAA Division I school by the way mid-major or not. He had the opportunity to recruit the same talent just like any other D-I schoolsl. I know this for a fact. Look at Delaware and Elena Delle Donne. Delaware is no where on map as far as relevance anymore. I would have built my next recruiting class off of Delle Donne. Its really up to the coaching staff. I know what I am talking about? I bet everything I have if Pat Summit, Geno or Gary Blair were at UALR they would in the NCAAT every year I put money on it. By the way when was the last UALR was in the tournament? I believe Western Kentucky another mid-major school beat them right?

Hogtied85

tophawg19

UALR is not going to beat P5 schools for players but once in a blue moon . you do realize PAT , Gary or Geno can recruit by name alone
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Hogtied85

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 16, 2017, 01:01:10 pm
UALR is not going to beat P5 schools for players but once in a blue moon . you do realize PAT , Gary or Geno can recruit by name alone

That's my point exactly

hoglady

Quote from: Hogtired10 on January 16, 2017, 12:51:56 pm
Joe Foley didn't interview for the Arkansas job. UALR is a NCAA Division I school by the way mid-major or not. He had the opportunity to recruit the same talent just like any other D-I schoolsl. I know this for a fact. Look at Delaware and Elena Delle Donne. Delaware is no where on map as far as relevance anymore. I would have built my next recruiting class off of Delle Donne. Its really up to the coaching staff. I know what I am talking about? I bet everything I have if Pat Summit, Geno or Gary Blair were at UALR they would in the NCAAT every year I put money on it. By the way when was the last UALR was in the tournament? I believe Western Kentucky another mid-major school beat them right?

Foley probably has the best record of any coach in the state( men or women)over the last decade of getting teams to post season play.

UALR women - NIT - 2008,2009,2013,2016
                      NCAA - 2015,2012,2011,2010

Delle Donne at Delaware - she initially went to UConn, lasted 48 hours and went back home to Delaware citing family issues. It's not like Delaware out recruited the big boys for her. She quit basketball - burn out and started playing volleyball. A year later she went back to basketball.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

Hogtied85

Quote from: hoglady on January 16, 2017, 02:51:56 pm
Foley probably has the best record of any coach in the state( men or women)over the last decade of getting teams to post season play.

UALR women - NIT - 2008,2009,2013,2016
                      NCAA - 2015,2012,2011,2010

Delle Donne at Delaware - she initially went to UConn, lasted 48 hours and went back home to Delaware citing family issues. It's not like Delaware out recruited the big boys for her. She quit basketball - burn out and started playing volleyball. A year later she went back to basketball.

You still prove my point

Hogtied85

jabberjawls

hoglady

hoglady

Quote from: Hogtired10 on January 16, 2017, 12:51:56 pm

And the last time UALR was in the NCAA tournament 2015 - they beat Blair's A&M team 69/60 in the first round and then lost to Arizona St / 57-54.

26.2Hog

Quote from: hoglady on January 16, 2017, 04:04:05 pm
Not if your point is Foley sucks as a coach.

Right. That's what he said, that was his point.

The opposite of that has been proven.  Foley has been an outstanding coach.

hoglady

Quote from: 26.2Hog on January 16, 2017, 04:07:54 pm
Right. That's what he said, that was his point.

The opposite of that has been proven.  Foley has been an outstanding coach.

Yep - lord knows any Arkansas or UALR fan has seen their fair share of coaches that suck.

Hogtied85

January 16, 2017, 04:42:08 pm #19 Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 05:05:36 pm by Hogtired10
Quote from: hoglady on January 16, 2017, 04:12:31 pm
Yep - lord knows any Arkansas or UALR fan has seen their fair share of coaches that suck.

When he gets to the sweet 16 and beyond I might change my mind. But I say give him a chance and when he doesn't pan out no one can say I told you so.

nwahogfan1

I heard from a good source that Long was highly told to hire Jimmy by a big money booster.  Anybody else hear this?

I think Jimmy will probable get one more year if he can sign a couple bigs in the spring but that is a guess.   I really do not know which way Long will decide on his experiment of hiring Jimmy but if we can pay $300,000 for a coach with no lady coaching experience I just bet we can pay more for a Lady Coach with 10+ years of Coaching experience who has an established track record so I bet there are lots of good coaches with lots of years and success in P5 conferences who would take this job and do well at it.  The candidates would not have to have past Arkansas or SEC ties but I guess it would be helpful. 

I am not saying Jimmy will not become a good coach but it may take a while for him to learn on the fly because so much is new to him.  I guess if we are more patient and give him time then it might work out.  But there again it might not also.  He just does not have a track record to know how this will turn out.

psycHOGlogist

If only it were $300K. CJD makes $450K.

That's more than Neighbors, whose team is currently top 10, is currently making.