Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.5 & .5

Started by Porked Tongue, March 19, 2016, 10:15:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Porked Tongue

1.5 is your over under on underclassman transferring out.

.5 is your staff changes.  I might should make it 1.5 too.

LA Football fan

Quote from: Porked Tongue on March 19, 2016, 10:15:53 am

From Christy Smith's body language during games, it is obvious something will happen with her, good or bad.   Not sure about other staff members but Jimmy being new to the coaching business, it is apparent he is searching for the right fit for staff members.   The good news for Jimmy is that women's basketball is kind of an afterthought on the hill and he can survive a few more years while they give him time to either build this thing or implode.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: Porked Tongue on March 19, 2016, 10:15:53 am

I am never sure how to play the over/under odds but I am thinking that two coaches will leave, and that three to four players will not be back next year, but they will not all be undergraduates.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

nwahogfan1

I don't know if she is interested but I bet Tari Cummins is probable a candidate for the Ladies UAFS head coaching job.   

flippinhogmana

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on March 19, 2016, 07:18:49 pm
I don't know if she is interested but I bet Tari Cummins is probable a candidate for the Ladies UAFS head coaching job.

this ^  Its one reason why I say two...She is familiar with the job, the admin there and the primary recruiting territory for the position (primarily Texas and Oklahoma)...It would be a natural step for her and a huge loss for us...nevertheless I am (and have been) expecting it to happen this spring...
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

hog63

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on March 19, 2016, 07:18:49 pm

She is very connected to the UAFS program but it is my understanding she is not interested in the job.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: hog63 on March 20, 2016, 01:38:15 pm
She is very connected to the UAFS program but it is my understanding she is not interested in the job.

well, its for sure hard to know what she considers in her best interest...Its hard enough for male coaches with families, but when its a female and she's a single parent, staying in the place maybe best for your family, if not your career.  Then again, who knows what other opportunites might be for her too.  I just have thought that would be a natural fit for her and a step up for the last two years...

jackflash

would not be good for Arkansas program to lose coach Smith. would not be good for JD.

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: jackflash on March 21, 2016, 04:49:56 pm
would not be good for Arkansas program to lose coach Smith. would not be good for JD.

Agree, but it would confirm some of the rumors that coaches are not happy.

nwahogfan1

March 22, 2016, 10:49:56 am #9 Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 11:00:55 am by nwahogfan1
Quote from: LadybackBBFan on March 22, 2016, 08:25:53 am
Agree, but it would confirm some of the rumors that coaches are not happy.

If she is a good assistant coach she  will conform to the Boss and work with him or she should leave and go to a boss she is better friends with.  Isnt this the way it is done. Happens all the time.  So why are we worried about one assistant coach not being happy.  Goodness on the Men's team Coach Anderson has a bunch of happy assistant coaches. He will not even entertain running them off.  They are a bunch of average coaches that to me are not living up their pay.  I see a team with one or two pretty good college players but the rest are below average Division 1 players but they are apparently not happy because of all the transfer talk.   It happens all over whether good players or bad whether good team or bad.  So lets get real.  Head coaches come in all shapes and sizes and coach many different ways with different success rates but that doesn't make him good or bad. Just different.  Wins and loses separates Head Coaches over time.  Lets see how this plays out.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on March 22, 2016, 10:49:56 am
If she is a good assistant coach she  will conform to the Boss and work with him or she should leave and go to a boss she is better friends with.  Isnt this the way it is done. Happens all the time.  So why are we worried about one assistant coach not being happy.  Goodness on the Men's team Coach Anderson has a bunch of happy assistant coaches. He will not even entertain running them off.  They are a bunch of average coaches that to me are not living up their pay.  I see a team with one or two pretty good college players but the rest are below average Division 1 players but they are apparently not happy because of all the transfer talk.   It happens all over whether good players or bad whether good team or bad.  So lets get real.  Head coaches come in all shapes and sizes and coach many different ways with different success rates but that doesn't make him good or bad. Just different.  Wins and loses separates Head Coaches over time.  Lets see how this plays out. 

That maybe true, NWA, but maybe its 100 per cent off base.  It might be the fault of the assts and the players, or maybe its not?  I repeat the theme of previous threads, it was glorious and all the credit to the new coach from some of you that we made the NCAA's and won a game (before getting crushed badly the second game).  Now when we do poorly (with largely the same players and assts.) its the assts and players?  I am not sure I would want your problem solving skills and judgment in my upper management.

To do this with not any of his new players yet was marvelous some said then.  Now that he had eight new players, well they just didnt jell yet some say...and that is partially true, but as some of us have pointed out all year long, perhaps its how he used them in preseason and all year long like Ned on the first primer of coaching that might be the problem. 

Like I have also said earlier, he should get one more year, but after that, his excuses wont cut it.  I hate excuses, especially lame ones, anyway.  Especially when its patently obvious that its just excuses, and not really the facts.

MoHog74

Quote from: flippinhogmana on March 22, 2016, 11:36:20 am
it was glorious and all the credit to the new coach from some of you that we made the NCAA's and won a game (before getting crushed badly the second game).  Now when we do poorly (with largely the same players and assts.) its the assts and players? 

^^ Agree.  "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times".  Nope; can't have it both ways.  Whoever gets the credit, also gets the blame. 

Porked Tongue

It's the Jimmy Dykes Show 24/7.  He hardly even lets his asst coaches being in photographs.

ricepig

Porked Tongue

ricepig

flippinhogmana

Quote from: ricepig on March 22, 2016, 05:29:08 pm
And diving!

I wondered what the deal was there, but as it is not a chief interest of mine, I didnt give it too much thought..

Porked Tongue

Quote from: ricepig on March 22, 2016, 05:29:08 pm
And diving!
For me, it's the same thing.

Swimming could really get some interest if they'd step out of the box with some new events like:

Underwater breath holding.
Dodge Ball/Marco Polo.
Underwater 100M.

Dr. Starcs

flippinhogmana

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on March 22, 2016, 08:50:15 pm
Skinny dipping.

wonder what would be necessary to coach about that?

MoHog74

Quote from: flippinhogmana on March 22, 2016, 09:09:46 pm
wonder what would be necessary to coach about that?

Nothing for the dipping; but plenty of PT for the skinny.

Porked Tongue

I think doing cannonballs would be good as well.

Porked Tongue

Staff movement in progress.

Announcement should be coming soon on the first one.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Porked Tongue on April 08, 2016, 01:12:30 pm
Staff movement in progress.

Announcement should be coming soon on the first one.

What have you heard?

flippinhogmana

Porked Tongue

One female assistant gone.
Other likely very soon.

Both because they choose to leave and not necessarily to promotions. 

BWS

Just a wild guess, but I have to assume one of the assistant's name starts with a C. Also, two players who's names start with K won't be back as well.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: BWS on April 08, 2016, 07:30:11 pm
Just a wild guess, but I have to assume one of the assistant's name starts with a C. Also, two players who's names start with K won't be back as well.

Word is that you are right on all three counts, however, that is not the extent of the change in the offseason..more to come after those three.

beringer62

This sounds like it could get out of hand very quickly...

razorjack

Well I guess the 2 with the K are Kelsey and Khadijah.  They were the only 2 players not in the picture of the early morning run.

Porked Tongue

It's not "Lady Back Camp".

In a nutshell, this is the issue now and going forward.

ricepig

Quote from: Porked Tongue on April 08, 2016, 10:21:17 pm
It's not "Lady Back Camp".

In a nutshell, this is the issue now and going forward.

Are Mike Anderson's Basketball Camps an issue?

http://www.camppros.com/register/preview.aspx?OrgId=62

Porked Tongue

I almost commented on it up front as that was expected.

I think the difference is obvious so left it there. 

It's a pattern by design.  They're just a half step from being the Jimmy Backs.

BTW, both overs look good.

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: flippinhogmana on April 08, 2016, 06:53:33 pm
Next wednesday...

The day after the post season celebration at Mermaids Tuesday evening.

ricepig

Quote from: Porked Tongue on April 08, 2016, 11:03:30 pm
I almost commented on it up front as that was expected.

I think the difference is obvious so left it there. 

It's a pattern by design.  They're just a half step from being the Jimmy Backs.

BTW, both overs look good.

So, both coaches having their camps named after them is different?

BlancheDevereaux

Looks like Christy Smith is out--headed to Incarnate Word to be a head coach. I'm not sure if this is a good or bad sign! Yay for a AC becoming a HC, that's the beginning of a coaching tree for Jimmy, but if she left because she's unhappy here, that doesn't bode so well.

http://www.swishappeal.com/2016/4/11/11402598/incarnate-word-hires-christy-smith

ricepig

Quote from: BlancheDevereaux on April 12, 2016, 10:43:47 am
Looks like Christy Smith is out--headed to Incarnate Word to be a head coach. I'm not sure if this is a good or bad sign! Yay for a AC becoming a HC, that's the beginning of a coaching tree for Jimmy, but if she left because she's unhappy here, that doesn't bode so well.

http://www.swishappeal.com/2016/4/11/11402598/incarnate-word-hires-christy-smith

Got to go somewhere get some HC experience so you can come back if this one doesn't pull itself out of the ditch, or teetering on the edge of it.

outlawhogeywells

I think they still need to hire the HS coach at Northside

nwahogfan1

Quote from: ricepig on April 12, 2016, 10:55:09 am
Got to go somewhere get some HC experience so you can come back if this one doesn't pull itself out of the ditch, or teetering on the edge of it.

Sounds like to me Coach Dykes after 2+ years now has a longer coaching tree than Mike Anderson after 15+ years.  Mike can not get an Asst. to leave for a HC job.  LOL.  He much be such a nice boss that they don't want to leave him.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on April 12, 2016, 12:42:07 pm
Sounds like to me Coach Dykes after 2+ years now has a longer coaching tree than Mike Anderson after 15+ years.  Mike can not get an Asst. to leave for a HC job.  LOL.  He much be such a nice boss that they don't want to leave him.

Give me a break.  This is not a branch off the coaching tree of JD.  You would have to have learned something from someone and had some sort of relationship with the HC to be considered a branch.  They had such a relationship that lasted maybe two months, not much more.

BWS

Body language tells a lot. Its says a lot when your supposed to be the top assistant and in the majority of the timeout huddles, you're out to the side with your arms crossed saying nothing. From an outside view, it appeared that Tari Cummings took over the role of top assistant and she was specifically told not to talk in the huddle. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what it appeared to be. I don't think she would have stayed regardless whether she got that job or not.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: flippinhogmana on April 12, 2016, 01:06:26 pm
Give me a break.  This is not a branch off the coaching tree of JD.  You would have to have learned something from someone and had some sort of relationship with the HC to be considered a branch.  They had such a relationship that lasted maybe two months, not much more.

My comment was not to be taken serious but it is true.

psycHOGlogist

beringer62

Any more news expected?

Porked Tongue

beringer62

When? Suspense is killing me

BlancheDevereaux

Kelsey Brooks just announced that she's not coming back next year. .....

Porked Tongue

I'm surprised she waited until the end of the semester.

psycHOGlogist

I think only the formal announcement came today. The decision happened a while ago.

Porked Tongue