Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A&M and toughness

Started by flippinhogmana, January 04, 2015, 01:35:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

flippinhogmana

One:  The women are up by three at half time.  Two: they are showing a toughness and fight that is a whole lot better than last year.  In fact it makes me wonder if they weren't pointing to this game and maybe overlooked Ole Miss a bit.  Three: They may or may not win this game but the bench is contributing and they are fighting as a team.  I kinda like it.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

yraciv

I admire the toughness that they are showing which we haven't seen in years.  That being said this has been a flat out ugly game of basketball.  Lots of settling on contested 3s, and it's showing. Hope we close it out!

snf6278

Tied 48 all with 1:36 remaining. Hope they can pull it off!

snf6278

I wonder if Jackson is sick? She's looked out of sync all game

snf6278

snf6278

Tough loss for these young ladies! However,  the future looks bright.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: snf6278 on January 04, 2015, 02:26:51 pm
Tough loss for these young ladies! However,  the future looks bright.
Hopefully something was sown in this game and the ones before it that will bear fruit in games to come.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

MoHog74

Quote from: flippinhogmana on January 04, 2015, 03:03:25 pm
Hopefully something was sown in this game and the ones before it that will bear fruit in games to come.

The fruits may or may not happen this year; but the foundation being laid now will definitely bear fruit in future years. 

:razorback:

flippinhogmana

Quote from: MoHog74 on January 04, 2015, 04:41:20 pm
The fruits may or may not happen this year; but the foundation being laid now will definitely bear fruit in future years. 

:razorback:

Agreed.  Hopefully it may not make a huge difference from here on out this year (hope it does though) but it's effect will last into next year and thereafter...

hawgwatcher

Much like Coach B and the football team, Coach Dykes needs to recruit his type players for his program. Depth is an issue when you play SEC games.  Other programs have 2-3 Jackson caliber players on each team.  They played great today, but Berna played almost the entire game.  By the middle/end of season they won't have the legs the last 4 minutes of the game.  Not anyone's fault, as I think they are light-years ahead of where they were last year at this time.  You can see their toughness and want-to.  They just need some more players.
"Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing"- Vince Lombardi

Sueie

I agree they need more players. We have 9 players this year with 2seniors leaving. So does anyone know if there is a limit on the number of recruits that you sign in one year?

Does anyone have an idea WHY Berna will not shoot the ball?

Hogtied85

Quote from: Sueie on January 04, 2015, 08:49:23 pm
I agree they need more players. We have 9 players this year with 2seniors leaving. So does anyone know if there is a limit on the number of recruits that you sign in one year?

Its definitely difficult when you have 9 players. Just something to remember Connecticut won a national championship with 9 players. But coach dykes is not using having 9 players as an excuse. They were about 7 players that left the programs over the past two seasons. Just imagine how good we would be if everyone stayed.

Calli Berna wasnt shooting well so she stopped and started to go inside more.

We are gonna be fine. I hope we can sign another big time player before this season is out. I'm still hoping for Teira McCowan

yraciv

When you are shooting less than 25% you better not be shooting unless you don't have a defender within 3 feet of you.

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: yraciv on January 04, 2015, 02:14:13 pm
I admire the toughness that they are showing which we haven't seen in years.  That being said this has been a flat out ugly game of basketball.  Lots of settling on contested 3s, and it's showing. Hope we close it out!
I was at the game.  Jackson took way too many threes and some of them were NBA range.  She loves to take threes.  If she would drive to the basket more, she would score more and go to the line more.  She stepped up at the end of the game to tie the score - that is what she needs to do more.

LadybackBBFan

The women have 15 scholarships.  With two seniors, we will have 8 available.  With five signed in November, we could sign another three, but I would expect it to be no more than one and a post player.  We are pretty deep otherwise except if someone transfers (we have lost at least one freshman every year for the last four years - two back to the east cost and one to central Arkansas plus what we lost this year with all of them showing significant promise).

razorjack

Saw a couple of comments on Jimmy's twitter account from Dec 30.  First one said something like "In Texas hunting for some future hogs".  Later in the day the second one said "Back home after a successful day of hog hunting in Texas".  Wonder if he got a commitment from someone.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: razorjack on January 05, 2015, 10:01:12 am
Saw a couple of comments on Jimmy's twitter account from Dec 30.  First one said something like "In Texas hunting for some future hogs".  Later in the day the second one said "Back home after a successful day of hog hunting in Texas".  Wonder if he got a commitment from someone.

The commitment I am most concerned with we already have.  Its Jimmy Dykes commitment to fighting every day, every game.  I love what I hear from him.  It is the embodiment of 'never yield'. 

When a girl who I said a long time ago when the defections started, Jessica Jackson, takes it upon herself when she cant hit from the outside to drive and find a way to score;  when she wills herself to hit the free throws, when she wills to carry us in the stretch, then I know this team has a chance to be something special.  She is a special player but she has to believe.

When I see Melissa Wolff lay it out the way she does, it stirs my own passion and belief.  I mention two and do not slight the rest, each is vital, but all that starts with Jimmy.  It begins to 'infect' everyone on that team.  It is my hope that they will pick up a win they shouldn't get, and go from there.  They could play pretty good all year and not get a conference win, the SEC women are that good this year, but I hope they find a way to get to .500 

If Jimmy can get a bigger girl to commit for next year, that's all the better.

Dr. Starcs

Not trying to criticize cjd, but an honest question on Jackson. Is he emphasizing to her the idea of driving the ball to the goal?

flippinhogmana

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on January 05, 2015, 05:30:27 pm
Not trying to criticize cjd, but an honest question on Jackson. Is he emphasizing to her the idea of driving the ball to the goal?
Quote from: LadybackBBFan on January 05, 2015, 07:58:56 am
I was at the game.  Jackson took way too many threes and some of them were NBA range.  She loves to take threes.  If she would drive to the basket more, she would score more and go to the line more.  She stepped up at the end of the game to tie the score - that is what she needs to do more.
Quote from: snf6278 on January 04, 2015, 02:21:50 pm
I wonder if Jackson is sick? She's looked out of sync all game

I don't know how many of you have noticed but regardless of the sport, sometimes players go through slumps, with basketball a lot of times it is shooting slumps.  Sometimes some players who are streaky are affected by pressure differently.  I really don't know Jessica all that well yet as a player having only seen her starting last year, but it has been my observation that Jessica has been in a slump for the last three or four games. 

Sometimes different players can get out of a game to game shooting slump different ways, sometimes it might be just getting a chance to shoot free throws if you are a good shooter (which she is) or it might be getting a lay up.  More than anything else Jessica is a scorer, she found a way to score to keep her team in the game when it mattered.  Thats leadership.

Another thing with Jessica and threes is that with the motion offense that JD runs and with Bowen and Wolff's involvement in the offence (Bowen at 6-1 needs the opposing post player pulled away from the basket in order to be effective, Jessica playing outside shooting threes has that effect; ditto with Wolff flashing through the middle and high post, she needs the defense pulled and spread out).  In short, JD's offense, until they have another six foot four or five low post player, works best with Jessica playing outside.

If Powell develops more she can compliment Jessica particularly on offense.  The one rub with that is that she has the same game (outside threat) and is too thin at least for now to body up on low post defense.  But I like the potential of Powell, I like how she handles herself as a freshman.  More importantly, I like the way Jessica is bellying up to the bar and facing the challenge.  We are going to be very pleased with her before she is through here.

jackflash

Jackson is Arkansas best player and other teams now this. If you play her in the low post she will be double team all the time. They are playing hard and with heart. What more can ask for. Its going to be hard for them win many games in the SEC this year. I like the class that Jimmy has recruited, if he can come up with one more post player Arkansas will be tough.

Sueie

Quote from: jackflash on January 07, 2015, 01:19:26 pm
Jackson is Arkansas best player and other teams now this. If you play her in the low post she will be double team all the time. They are playing hard and with heart. What more can ask for. Its going to be hard for them win many games in the SEC this year. I like the class that Jimmy has recruited, if he can come up with one more post player Arkansas will be tough.
I would say that Kelsey Brooks is the best player. But regardless if I am the opposing coach I am double teaming her or Jackson either one. I am not even covering Betna if she is not going to shoot. 

flippinhogmana

Quote from: Sueie on January 07, 2015, 06:01:30 pm
I would say that Kelsey Brooks is the best player. But regardless if I am the opposing coach I am double teaming her or Jackson either one. I am not even covering Betna if she is not going to shoot.

I will grant you Kelsie is playing lights out (and we are fortunate to have her and that she is playing at the level she is), but she is not a 6-3 all american that affects every defense she plays against.  Berna (not that I blame her) has visions of white lace dancing in her eyes and bells in her ears.  But that is what it is.

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: flippinhogmana on January 07, 2015, 06:50:06 pm
I will grant you Kelsie is playing lights out (and we are fortunate to have her and that she is playing at the level she is), but she is not a 6-3 all american that affects every defense she plays against.  Berna (not that I blame her) has visions of white lace dancing in her eyes and bells in her ears.  But that is what it is.
I agree that Jackson has more potential and more WNBA potential, but the person playing the best right now is Kelsey Brooks.  She is the top defensive player on the team - always guards their best guard - the same last year.  She rebounds as well as Jackson - especially playing at guard.  She is the leading scorer in the league.  What more proof do you need.

seikocanon

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on January 08, 2015, 10:15:04 am
I agree that Jackson has more potential and more WNBA potential, but the person playing the best right now is Kelsey Brooks.  She is the top defensive player on the team - always guards their best guard - the same last year.  She rebounds as well as Jackson - especially playing at guard.  She is the leading scorer in the league.  What more proof do you need.

When you draw as much attention as Jackson does from the other teams, it should open it up for someone else to put up big numbers.  If you take Jackson off the floor and teams start doubling on Brooks, her numbers will go down.  If you take Brooks off the floor, Jackson's numbers will not go down.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: seikocanon on January 08, 2015, 11:07:09 am
When you draw as much attention as Jackson does from the other teams, it should open it up for someone else to put up big numbers.  If you take Jackson off the floor and teams start doubling on Brooks, her numbers will go down.  If you take Brooks off the floor, Jackson's numbers will not go down.

substantially agree with this, not to diminish the contribution of any of the starters, including Melissa Wolff who is nearly averaging a double double.  I especially dont want to take anything away from Ms. Brooks who has made a believer out of me, but JJ is the straw that stirs the drink.