Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A good early season test

Started by flippinhogmana, November 27, 2014, 11:29:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

flippinhogmana

This season is certainly not starting like the recent past seasons for the Ladybacks (if I may still call them that without offense).  New coach, yep that's some different.  Only nine players on scholarship, that too, some difference.  However, the biggest difference is a difficult tournament including teams that are not walkovers early in the season.

Iowa is ranked and deep, another of the teams is also undefeated.  Those two games should provide a stiff test for the team's chemistry, how they can deal with depth and adversity issues, etc.  It will also serve as some indication what our talent level actually is.

After some initial concern (concerns not entirely dismissed because they were based, after all, on some knowledge and logic), I am starting to lean towards some comfort with this team.  Kelsey Brooks is showing more skill, pluck, and overall "it" than I gave her credit for initially.  Melissa Wolff is bringing a smile to my face, Jessica Jackson is Jessica Jackson, Bowen is strong, and Calli Berna is so far leading like a champion.

I am not quite ready to anoint them as contenders, but this trip to Vegas will let us know a lot about what "their odds are".
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

jseinfeld50

I think they are guaranteed two games in the holiday tournament - #17 (ESPN) Iowa and Richmond. We play ranked Rutgers in a couple of weeks.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: jseinfeld50 on November 27, 2014, 11:42:13 am
I think they are guaranteed two games in the holiday tournament - #17 (ESPN) Iowa and Richmond. We play ranked Rutgers in a couple of weeks.

Tests aplenty?  Yep, two games at least and against quality teams.

I haven't looked at how the conference schedule starts out.  Hopefully better than the last two years.  I think the last two years our first four to six games were practically unwinnable.  On the road and against superior competition.  If you start out 0-4 or worse that's a deep hole to crawl out of.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

Hogtied85

Quote from: flippinhogmana on November 27, 2014, 12:04:54 pm
Tests aplenty?  Yep, two games at least and against quality teams.

I haven't looked at how the conference schedule starts out.  Hopefully better than the last two years.  I think the last two years our first four to six games were practically unwinnable.  On the road and against superior competition.  If you start out 0-4 or worse that's a deep hole to crawl out of.

Arkansas just defeated #19 Iowa by 10 points

Kelsey Brooks with 24 points
Jessica Jackson with 22 points

revolution

Quote from: Hogtired10 on November 28, 2014, 04:53:30 pm

WPS! Congrats to Coach Jimmy Dykes and the Lady Razorbacks!

flippinhogmana

Quote from: Hogtired10 on November 28, 2014, 04:53:30 pm

\
Perhaps we can regard this as a pop quiz before the real test, but in any case, not bad!  Cant wait to see the full box score.

opineonswine

The Razorbacks (5-0) took control by pounding the boards and getting to the free throw line. Arkansas had a 51-24 rebounding advantage and hit 20 of 33 free throws.

flippinhogmana

Some things of note from the box score, Iowa had eleven more fouls (two fouled out, two with four).  Since we didn't get in foul trouble, that in large measure negated whatever advantage Iowa may have had over us.  I wouldn't put a tremendous amount of stock in this game, but I think we can further draw indications that this team has good chemistry, that they work together, that they have heart and believe. Plus, that Jimmy is doing at least a decent job, maybe better than decent (I think it may be too early to nominate him for coach of the year, but he is off to a decent start).

Still there was a lot of minutes by the starters, four with I think it was 35 minutes or more, only one sub played many minutes (Bailey).  All four subs played at least a minute, they pitched in when called upon, especially Powell and Bailey.

Kelsey Brooks led us in point (24), turnovers (7) but also chipped in boards and steals, (no assists);  Berna had nine assists, Bowen (third in scoring behind Brooks and Jackson, second in boards behind Wolff) and Wolff played well (nine points, ten boards), as did Jackson (twenty two pts, and boarded well).  One other thing, this team is very active on the offensive glasses (four had three or more offensive rebounds) which might account for the Iowa foul trouble. 

snf6278

Quote from: flippinhogmana on November 28, 2014, 07:14:52 pm
Some things of note from the box score, Iowa had eleven more fouls (two fouled out, two with four).  Since we didn't get in foul trouble, that in large measure negated whatever advantage Iowa may have had over us.  I wouldn't put a tremendous amount of stock in this game, but I think we can further draw indications that this team has good chemistry, that they work together, that they have heart and believe. Plus, that Jimmy is doing at least a decent job, maybe better than decent (I think it may be too early to nominate him for coach of the year, but he is off to a decent start).

Still there was a lot of minutes by the starters, four with I think it was 35 minutes or more, only one sub played many minutes (Bailey).  All four subs played at least a minute, they pitched in when called upon, especially Powell and Bailey.

Kelsey Brooks led us in point (24), turnovers (7) but also chipped in boards and steals, (no assists);  Berna had nine assists, Bowen (third in scoring behind Brooks and Jackson, second in boards behind Wolff) and Wolff played well (nine points, ten boards), as did Jackson (twenty two pts, and boarded well).  One other thing, this team is very active on the offensive glasses (four had three or more offensive rebounds) which might account for the Iowa foul trouble. 
Great analysis. I know it will get tough for the Ladybacks moving forward but I really like what these ladies and CJD are doing!

BWS

Great win today for the Ladybacks.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Jeffcphog

CJD and the girls are winning so fast it messes you up.  Good job in Vegas.

MoHog74

Two good wins on a neutral court.  I realize it is still early in the season, but CJD and the entire team are making Arkansas proud.

WPS :razorback:

mhuff

Quote from: MoHog74 on November 29, 2014, 08:39:35 pm
Two good wins on a neutral court.  I realize it is still early in the season, but CJD and the entire team are making Arkansas proud.

WPS :razorback:

flippinhogmana

It is encouraging. Richmond maybe wasn't as good as Iowa was ranked to be, but still appeared to be a quality opponent.  To play them hard and then pull away by ten and now twenty over the Spiders, is a good thing.  West and Bailey turned in quality minutes this time after some foul trouble for especially Wolff and Bowen. 

Melissa Wolff: still making me smile, double double.  J.J. you keep going girl, my my ms. Brooks (mvp of tournament), keep leading (seven more assists) Calli, and keep being the strong senior ms. Bowen.

Hope they are able to continue it when the conference starts.  Our first four conference games are like this (you remember we are usually 15, or 16 and 0 in non conference) A&M and Tennessee are at home, but the other two Ole Miss and MS are on the road.  If we cant play well on the road and if A&M and Tenner are as good as last year, that will be an even better indication of our capability this year.

Five of the next six are at home and all six are winnable, the one road game is against Tulsa.

Still, you have to like what you are seeing so far. 

LadybackBBFan

The difference so far from previous Lady'backs teams is the rebounding margin.  I have been a fan for twenty years and always thought that was a problem.  So far JD and the team are doing a great job!  Outrebounding teams by an average of more than 15 rebounds per game is unheard of! ;D :razorback:

flippinhogmana

Yep, LB, you are quite correct to point that out.  In echoing your point, I would add that its not just rebounding, but offensive rebounding in particular that is a marked improvement. 

I haven't been able to attend or watch any games so far, so I don't know how they are able to crash the offensive boards and not give up any breakouts going the other direction, but they apparently are getting it done!  Rebounding is mostly hard work and drive.  Whatever the reason, they are decidedly improved in that category, and it isn't that they have gotten shorter teams to play against.

I don't know that is the only difference of a positive note from previous years though.  This team feels different to me.  Maybe its just JD's influence, maybe its the team having to overcome the adversity of losing some players.  But I sense a drive that wasn't there in past years.  I know Bowen and Berna are bringing it every game, I know Wolff is thankful for her chance, and I know Brooks seemed determined to prove that she was the best of the three sophomore guards, not the other two that left.

Sometimes over coming adversity puts something in a team that carries them over the top, we will have to see, wont we?  I am hopeful.

Scott7703

Quote from: flippinhogmana on November 30, 2014, 09:48:32 am
Yep, LB, you are quite correct to point that out.  In echoing your point, I would add that its not just rebounding, but offensive rebounding in particular that is a marked improvement. 

I haven't been able to attend or watch any games so far, so I don't know how they are able to crash the offensive boards and not give up any breakouts going the other direction, but they apparently are getting it done!  Rebounding is mostly hard work and drive.  Whatever the reason, they are decidedly improved in that category, and it isn't that they have gotten shorter teams to play against.

I don't know that is the only difference of a positive note from previous years though.  This team feels different to me.  Maybe its just JD's influence, maybe its the team having to overcome the adversity of losing some players.  But I sense a drive that wasn't there in past years.  I know Bowen and Berna are bringing it every game, I know Wolff is thankful for her chance, and I know Brooks seemed determined to prove that she was the best of the three sophomore guards, not the other two that left.

Sometimes over coming adversity puts something in a team that carries them over the top, we will have to see, wont we?  I am hopeful.

Do you have something against Jessica Jackson? You've mentioned every other contributing player but continually fail to mention our best

flippinhogmana

Scott, please.  Do you have something against reading?  I have said the following: "How far we go ultimately depends on how much Jessica Jackson wants to be a superstar, how hard she is willing to work for it, and how much heart she has".  I have mentioned her (Jackson, and JJ, for Jessica Jackson, got it?) in all my posts but one.

How can you mention all posts when you only apparent read the last one?  Actually, I mentioned what I said about Jessica Jackson being the "aircraft carrier" of this team in another thread, but still, it is as I have said, I have mentioned her in every post mentioning players in this thread but the last one, and that was not to slight her, simply honoring others.  If that offends you, I wasn't keeping score.

Scott7703

Quote from: flippinhogmana on November 30, 2014, 11:05:09 am
Scott, please.  Do you have something against reading?  I have said the following: "How far we go ultimately depends on how much Jessica Jackson wants to be a superstar, how hard she is willing to work for it, and how much heart she has".  I have mentioned her (Jackson, and JJ, for Jessica Jackson, got it?) in all my posts but one.

How can you mention all posts when you only apparent read the last one?  Actually, I mentioned what I said about Jessica Jackson being the "aircraft carrier" of this team in another thread, but still, it is as I have said, I have mentioned her in every post mentioning players in this thread but the last one, and that was not to slight her, simply honoring others.  If that offends you, I wasn't keeping score.

Fair enough and while I've read more than the last one that was the one I was referencing. We have a much improved team but Jessica and Kelsey brooks will have to continue to play at a high level for us to continue at the level we have played up unto this point.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: Scott7703 on November 30, 2014, 02:21:42 pm
Fair enough and while I've read more than the last one that was the one I was referencing. We have a much improved team but Jessica and Kelsey brooks will have to continue to play at a high level for us to continue at the level we have played up unto this point.

Agreed.  I really didn't/don't know (as most of us don't because he doesn't have a coaching track record to evaluate) JD well enough to know his style and adaptability of coaching.  I guess I assumed he would be heavily influenced by the Nolan Richardson's style since that was under whom he played, and was his professed style of defense/offense when he inherited the reins;  however, I am beginning to sense that there may be quite a bit more depth to JD than at least I suspected or gave him credit for.

So, despite my agreement with you Scott, I would also say this:  it is truly (and not just a cliche) a team effort, not just the stars or starters, but first the coaches (starting with Jimmy) and the bench, that could make this team, more than most others, a success.  I think Abe Lemons may be the best example of how Jimmy is coaching this team this year.

Abe had his scorers, he had his defensive players, his rebounders, his enforcers, etc.  It is not terribly unlike how Eddie Sutton coached but different none the less.  It was all based on each player doing what they could do.  It depended on each player concentrating on their role, and making their necessary contribution.

My recognition did little more than recognize those contributors.  Some times players read these threads.  Sometimes some of those players don't get much recognition.   I prize Jessica Jackson for example but it may have been a while since Khadijah (thats a mouthful) West got much ink.  The same for Joey Bailey.   They have all been stars before at some level but role players here. 

My point?  It takes a team to rally from adversity in the face of quality opposition.  We should recognize that there may be something special forming.  Despite three or four defections (depending on what you count) it looked in doubt.  It may still fall apart. 

The team's success this year was doubtful.  It was doubted by me as much or more than anyone.  But if it does come together, there is a lot of honor going to be earned and celebrated on a lot of folks, all of whom it will take to make it happen.  I take my hat off first to JD and his coaches.  After that JJ (and the others I have named respectively) will get her share of glory, not just for her play, but for being much more than just the star, I think. 

Dr. Starcs

I thought cjd played for Sutton?

flippinhogmana

it might be good for someone to research but I thought I heard on one of his broadcasts that he was a walkon under nolan.

Okay, I went and researched it.  JD did walkon under Sutton, and it appears that he graduated during the beginning of Nolan's tenure and was an unpaid asst under Nolan?

MoHog74

I'm sure there are many more informed folks out there than me, but I believe CJD was an assistant under Eddie Sutton. 

As luck would have it, my 4 years in college corresponded to the Lanny Van Eman years.  I graduated in May, 1974, and Eddie Sutton came to AR that fall.  Alot of life is timing; and mine wasn't so good regarding quality basketball while being a student in Fayetteville.

:razorback:

flippinhogmana

Quote from: MoHog74 on November 30, 2014, 05:42:35 pm
I'm sure there are many more informed folks out there than me, but I believe CJD was an assistant under Eddie Sutton. 

As luck would have it, my 4 years in college corresponded to the Lanny Van Eman years.  I graduated in May, 1974, and Eddie Sutton came to AR that fall.  Alot of life is timing; and mine wasn't so good regarding quality basketball while being a student in Fayetteville.

:razorback:

I know the feeling.  Or "I resemble that remark".  I was a freshman in 69.  I had several friends who started as freshmen (Mike Brown, Joel Tabor, and a black kid whose name escapes me at the moment) that year in basketball.  I mean that was their freshman year.  In those days freshmen couldn't play varsity.  Like my freshmen friends I wasn't around when Van Eman left.

The bio says that Dykes graduated in May 85, Nolan came slightly before that.  It also says he was an assistant coach at Arkansas.  That means he was a walkon under Sutton, but couldn't have been an asst under him.  I assume it is reasonable that he got to know Nolan his last semester and then was a graduate asst. under him?  If anyone knows more I would welcome it.

dbhog

His bio says that he was an assistant with Sutton in 84-85 so he might have been a graduate assistant.  He also was an assistant with Eddie at KY and OSU.

http://arkansasrazorbacks.com/sport/w-baskbl/2014/roster/53beb909e4b0a4c99fcb24f5

flippinhogmana

December 01, 2014, 03:05:00 pm #26 Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 03:16:49 pm by flippinhogmana
Well, whatever his background, it appears to have prepared him for being able to deal with being short handed.  For that, given the circumstances I am grateful, even if I had somehow gotten the impression that he had been closely associated with Nolan.  :)

But, the bio you reference is slightly different that the bio I found on wikipedia and both of them are in some degree self contradictory.  Yours states that he graduated in 1985.  It does not appear that he could have been a graduate assistant under Sutton at Arkansas if that is correct because Sutton left at that time (before he could have been a graduate asst.).   To me that doesnt matter anyway, its just part of the reason I am sure my posting wasn't entirely correct since I am not sure the biographers know either.

jseinfeld50

CJD played BB in games in seasons 81-82, 82-83, and 83-84. 84-85 I think he was a GA under Sutton. Nolan came in 85. CJD was an assistant at Sacramento State in season 85-86.

flippinhogmana

Yep.  Nolan came in April 85, coached in the fall thereof.  If Jimmy graduated as one would have expected in May 1985, the math or the bio doesn't fit for him being a graduate asst in 85 (you do still have to graduate to be a graduate asst dont you, hmm?).  Thats the only thing.  The bio is wrong in some respect.  To me it makes no matter.  I assume he graduated earlier than the bio says or its wrong about him being an asst at UofA.  Either way it is inconsequential to me.