Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

With Sumlin reportedly out at A&M...

Started by WalHog2018, November 05, 2017, 10:29:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WalHog2018

King Kong

It's really close. A&M because of recruiting base.

Three and Snout

Definitely A&M.  Recruiting base as mentioned, and also alumni numbers/money.

903hog

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: 903hog on November 05, 2017, 10:56:08 pm
A&M and it is not close unfortunately.

BS. A&M has a recruiting advantage and that's it. Well, and an AD willing to fire a coach for going 8-5, while our AD would applaud it.

HardCore

Arkansas is.  You have an Athletic Director for a Boss that could care less about winning.....very little stress there.

Now aTm on the other hand.......

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

Augustus

A&M is not the same A&M that we knew in the SWC days...

They grew up, and unfortunately, they're no longer the skinny kid on the block.

kodiakisland

A&M, with the right coach, could be what Texas used to be.  They have the donors, facilities, recruiting base, to rival anyone in the nation.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

31to6

Quote from: Augustus on November 05, 2017, 11:30:33 pm

Nah. They are still mediocre. They are the kid at practice who's dad buys him all the best gear, best shoes, best everything, but who can't crack the starting lineup.

Pretty much always have been rich and mediocre. Pretty much always will be.

bville_hog

A&M should be better, but until someone proves they can actually win consistently there, they are not near as great as they think they are.

Hou-Hog

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on November 05, 2017, 11:15:45 pm
BS. A&M has a recruiting advantage and that's it. Well, and an AD willing to fire a coach for going 8-5, while our AD would applaud it.
A&M by far.  Recruiting and money.  Tremendous endowment at that school, 100k stadium, and a large alumni population. 

Pork Twain

November 06, 2017, 02:53:48 am #11 Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 03:09:22 am by Pork Twain
Quote from: Arkansas Fan on November 05, 2017, 11:15:45 pm
Posts like this reinforce my belief that many fall into the mob mentality and just post what they hear, without knowing of what they post.

Kyle Field is consistently ranked as one of the top 5 venues in all of college football, while Arkansas is lucky to crack the top 20.  Recruiting base, not even close enough to discuss.  Even with those advantages, their amazing AD has allowed Sumlin to hang around with 9–4 (4–4), 8–5 (3–5), 8–5 (4–4), 8–5 (4–4), and 5–4 (3–3). 

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap2000000362215
https://athlonsports.com/college-football/top-stadiums-college-football-experts-poll
http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/255282506/college-football-best-stadiums-rankings
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Etowah

Is this really even a serious question?

A and M is the sleeping giant of college football.

texas tush hog

A&M will probably hire Chad Morris, he definitely wants the job.

IronHog

Quote from: Augustus on November 05, 2017, 11:30:33 pm

Still have boy cheerleaders
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: texas tush hog on November 06, 2017, 03:32:13 am
A&M will probably hire Chad Morris, he definitely wants the job.

Thanks Ms. Morris.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: IronHog on November 06, 2017, 06:15:36 am

Still have boy cheerleaders

Not sure those are boys..........................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hoggie17

Quote from: HardCore on November 05, 2017, 11:26:11 pm
Arkansas is.  You have an Athletic Director for a Boss that could care less about winning.....very little stress there.

Now aTm on the other hand.......
This, get paid for losing.

Cure

Quote from: Hou-Hog on November 06, 2017, 02:32:36 am
A&M by far.  Recruiting and money.  Tremendous endowment at that school, 100k stadium, and a large alumni population. 
Bingo, that's a premier job, outside of the location.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

King Kong

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 06, 2017, 06:40:41 am
Thanks Ms. Morris.

It's where he went to school it's obvious this post is correct

hogsolutely

Reports make it out as Money an Facilities its Arkansas, but with the recruiting at your back door A&M probably is an easier turn around.

twistitup

A&M is a land grant school w tons of old 💰- fertile recruiting base that recruits itself in a strange way

Great job for the right person...we are a good job- not great
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

The_Iceman

Will hate to lose Chad Morris to a&m. His Texas ties would be perfect for our job. He will do very well at a&m. Norvell would be a good fit here as well.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: King Kong on November 05, 2017, 10:36:07 pm
It's really close. A&M because of recruiting base.

Yep one of the Richest recruiting areas in the nation outside South Fla .
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Augustus

Quote from: 31to6 on November 06, 2017, 12:45:43 am
Nah. They are still mediocre. They are the kid at practice who's dad buys him all the best gear, best shoes, best everything, but who can't crack the starting lineup.

Pretty much always have been rich and mediocre. Pretty much always will be.

They have beaten Bama & produced a Heisman winner, more recently than the Hogs have.

...and by that I mean at least within the last decade.

jackflash

Not sure A&M will chose Morris he 6-3 1-3 in conference record  might be looking for some better

Paul

A & M's 2016 endowment close to $10 Billion;  U of A's as of June 2017 closing in on $1 Billion....case closed

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: jackflash on November 06, 2017, 11:35:36 am
Not sure A&M will chose Morris he 6-3 1-3 in conference record  might be looking for some better
True, but he's had to do a total rebuild at of all places SMU.Plus look who he is having to compete against, Frost, Norvell and Strong.And he walked in to the worst situation of the four. So I'd cut him some slack if I was them and the UofA.

Torqued pork

Quote from: Paul on November 06, 2017, 03:06:22 pm
A & M's 2016 endowment close to $10 Billion;  U of A's as of June 2017 closing in on $1 Billion....case closed
Harvard's endowment is 37 billion,  so I guess it's a much better job than both, right?

Paul

Quote from: hogsolutely on November 06, 2017, 08:06:28 am
Reports make it out as Money an Facilities its Arkansas, but with the recruiting at your back door A&M probably is an easier turn around.
endowment comparison was in response to this post.  However, Harvard may be a better job than either A&M or AR.  It would depend on what you're looking for:  a good lifestyle or a lot of money & a life dissected at every turn.   The Harvard coach has much less pressure to win;  less travel for most games & for recruiting;  his kids go to school there for free;  Intellectually stimulating environment.    Can't beat Harvard head coach's job security--he's been there for 24 years!!!

HogPharmer

Quote from: Torqued pork on November 06, 2017, 03:59:25 pm
Harvard's endowment is 37 billion,  so I guess it's a much better job than both, right?

Well.... Obama...
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

Wmhog

If you want to win 8 games each year and get fired then A&M is a better job.

ipigsooie

A&m reporter on Finebaum said there may be some mutual interest between Jimbo and A&m. May just be Jimbos way of trying to get a raise but I really don't think a&m and Arkansas have mutual interests in any coach. Personally I feel like it'll be Morris and with his ties to Texas recruiting and running the Gus light offense, that may be trouble. Hopefully we have an innovative coach to match it for the next several years.

HF#1

BTW, Sumlin could win 8-9 games a year here. Especially if pretty boy at TTU gets fired and rejoins him as OC.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

The_Iceman

Quote from: HF#1 on November 07, 2017, 01:32:41 am
BTW, Sumlin could win 8-9 games a year here. Especially if pretty boy at TTU gets fired and rejoins him as OC.

Sumlin wouldn't be a terrible hire. I believe his issues at a&m are similar to Charlie Strong at Texas. Both are good coaches, but there was just something institutionally holding them back. Fresh starts for both would be good, and has been good for Strong.

zebradynasty

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 07, 2017, 08:25:21 am
Sumlin wouldn't be a terrible hire. I believe his issues at a&m are similar to Charlie Strong at Texas. Both are good coaches, but there was just something institutionally holding them back. Fresh starts for both would be good, and has been good for Strong.

Are you saying that Arkansas would have the same institutional barriers as A&M and Texas? I doubt either would be interested but both would be a upgrade.

The_Iceman

Quote from: zebradynasty on November 07, 2017, 11:16:27 am
Are you saying that Arkansas would have the same institutional barriers as A&M and Texas? I doubt either would be interested but both would be a upgrade.

I think Sumlin is a good coach. I think he would improve our recruiting in Texas and we would be better overall than we are under Bielema. How much better? Not sure. But I think with his offense and improved recruiting in Texas, our floor would be higher than it is now. Not my first choice, but wouldn't be a bad choice.

He has made some mistakes at a&m that I think are hurting him, especially with locker room management. Might be a situation where he needs to start fresh.

hogsanity

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 07, 2017, 11:39:49 am
I think Sumlin is a good coach. I think he would improve our recruiting in Texas and we would be better overall than we are under Bielema. How much better? Not sure. But I think with his offense and improved recruiting in Texas, our floor would be higher than it is now. Not my first choice, but wouldn't be a bad choice.

He has made some mistakes at a&m that I think are hurting him, especially with locker room management. Might be a situation where he needs to start fresh.

I'd like to see Sumlin here before some guy with 2 yr HC experience at a g5 school.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: hogsanity on November 07, 2017, 11:52:18 am
I'd like to see Sumlin here before some guy with 2 yr HC experience at a g5 school.

I have a hard time believing Sumlin would be better at UA than aTm.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

hogsanity

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 07, 2017, 11:55:36 am
I have a hard time believing Sumlin would be better at UA than aTm.

No one knows how anyone will be here, it's all a crap shoot.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: hogsanity on November 07, 2017, 11:56:19 am
No one knows how anyone will be here, it's all a crap shoot.

Yup, I thought CBB was gonna be good!!  I couldn't have been wronger.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

zebradynasty

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 07, 2017, 11:39:49 am

I agree his Texas connection would be valuable in recruiting. A fresh start at Arkansas could be beneficial for both. I doubt he would stay here long if he was hired and was successful but that's fine we need a coach that can come in and win and show other schools that it CAN be done here.

Paul

Quote from: hogsanity on November 07, 2017, 11:52:18 am
not me.  Sumlin has all the facilities, budget & recruiting advantages(that we don't have), & yet his teams have consistently underperformed. 

Paul

Quote from: HF#1 on November 07, 2017, 01:32:41 am
The 1st sentence is doubtful without the studs he's got on his team now--we need someone who can do more with less.  The 2nd sentence give me the willies...in a bad way.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

hogsanity

Quote from: Paul on November 07, 2017, 12:27:46 pm
  The 1st sentence is doubtful without the studs he's got on his team now--we need someone who can do more with less.  The 2nd sentence give me the willies...in a bad way.

Do you want Norvell, because there are a lot of things about him that remind many people of Kingsbury

zebradynasty

Quote from: Paul on November 07, 2017, 12:24:30 pm
  not me.  Sumlin has all the facilities, budget & recruiting advantages(that we don't have), & yet his teams have consistently underperformed.

The fact that he's beaten Arkansas 6 straight times doesn't count? On the flip side we hired BB who without facilities, budget and recruiting advantages posted 3 straight Rose Bowls. That didn't work out. I would not rule new coaches out that failed to live up to their previous schools goals but still outperformed Arkansas. Remember Saban wasn't setting the world on fire when LSU hired him!

Paul

Quote from: zebradynasty on November 07, 2017, 02:29:48 pm
The fact that he's beaten Arkansas 6 straight times doesn't count? On the flip side we hired BB who without facilities, budget and recruiting advantages posted 3 straight Rose Bowls. That didn't work out. I would not rule new coaches out that failed to live up to their previous schools goals but still outperformed Arkansas. Remember Saban wasn't setting the world on fire when LSU hired him!
He beat JLS once & Bielema 5 times. Nuff said!

Matt Burks

Quote from: hogsanity on November 07, 2017, 01:39:27 pm
Do you want Norvell, because there are a lot of things about him that remind many people of Kingsbury
How is that? Because offensively, his system is much more like Petrino's system - not Kingsbury.

zebradynasty

Quote from: Paul on November 07, 2017, 02:32:06 pm
  He beat JLS once & Bielema 5 times. Nuff said!

Right, I meant that as a positive for Sumlin. I wasn't real clear.