Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clear up a few SMU Things.

Started by OLEJACKETFAN, January 11, 2018, 03:22:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

OLEJACKETFAN

Chad will be very successful at Arkansas. For those that look at his SMU record let me share a couple things. SMU was one of the worst Programs when he took over. The previous coach had walked away/quit before season ended. Talent was terrible! The first year they showed improvement but not many wins. At the beginning of the 2nd year he lost his LT in August. The QB went down with a torn ACL in first game. Also lost the top RB early. Started a TRUE Freshman QB that wasn't ready, had to reset the OL. Also ended up with a RS RB. That's a tuff road but were in several games early. as for the Defense, I personally felt he missed on his hire. Never saw much improvement. Another issue, he always put together a great Commit Class, but it was raided right before Signing day! will get into the DC more later on

Wooderson

Quote from: OLEJACKETFAN on January 11, 2018, 03:22:32 pm
Chad will be very successful at Arkansas. For those that look at his SMU record let me share a couple things. SMU was one of the worst Programs when he took over. The previous coach had walked away/quit before season ended. Talent was terrible! The first year they showed improvement but not many wins. At the beginning of the 2nd year he lost his LT in August. The QB went down with a torn ACL in first game. Also lost the top RB early. Started a TRUE Freshman QB that wasn't ready, had to reset the OL. Also ended up with a RS RB. That's a tuff road but were in several games early. as for the Defense, I personally felt he missed on his hire. Never saw much improvement. Another issue, he always put together a great Commit Class, but it was raided right before Signing day! will get into the DC more later on

Nice opinion.
Give me liberty, or give me death!

bennyl08

Disagree about the status of SMU.

Overall, the program had been mired in badness since the death penalty to the point that being mediocre is an extreme accomplishment. Morris was able to achieve that there.

However, it wasn't like he built that program up himself. Essentially, the previous coach took the broken pieces and was able to build a working car, but then the battery died suddenly. Morris had to jump start the car and get a new battery into it.

In short, it was a very similar situation to Arkansas with Petrino being fired and then the year of the interim coach. SMU didn't need somebody to build tracks for them to get on, the tracks were already there, the train just needed to get put back on the tracks so to speak. Morris was able to do that, and Bielema was not. All we really need is to replace our engine starter, maybe replace the transmission fluid, and we are ready to race.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

OLEJACKETFAN

You are right except the Gap Time was wider between when June cared. The last couple years he quit recruiting Texas HS. Kinda got too reliant on JUCOs. The Talent was really bad! The  first year they played the Houston Coogs I don't believe there was but a couple SMU players that could start for Houston.

lawhawg20

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 11, 2018, 03:34:54 pm

Overall, the program had been mired in badness since the death penalty to the point that being mediocre is an extreme accomplishment. Morris was able to achieve that there.

However, it wasn't like he built that program up himself. Essentially, the previous coach took the broken pieces and was able to build a working car, but then the battery died suddenly. Morris had to jump start the car and get a new battery into it.

In short, it was a very similar situation to Arkansas with Petrino being fired and then the year of the interim coach. SMU didn't need somebody to build tracks for them to get on, the tracks were already there, the train just needed to get put back on the tracks so to speak. Morris was able to do that, and Bielema was not. All we really need is to replace our engine starter, maybe replace the transmission fluid, and we are ready to race.

Well... sort of anyway. 

Yes, June Jones had largely gotten the rebuild job under way.  He certainly had the program headed in the right direction.  But in 2011, he left to take the Arizona State job only to have his offer rescinded at the last minute (while he was in flight, I believe).  After that he dropped from 8 wins to 7, and then 5.  I don't think he really had the players buy-in after trying to jump ship and I'm certain recruiting took a hit from that.  Anyway, he saw the writing on the wall at the beginning of the 2014 season and quit after the second game. 

When Jones pulled that, the program took a hit similar to what Arkansas did with Smiley.  But Arkansas wasn't climbing out of a hole to begin with like SMU was.  It was just a terrible situation and, IMO, Morris did the best anyone could do with that situation. 

colbs

I think I read or heard that the year before Morris got there SMU opponents scored more points off of Xtra points then SMU did TDs & Xtra points.

OLEJACKETFAN

When Chad got the SMU job, he brought a lot of young offensive guys with him. Very sharp but not much experience. Probably struggled getting a DC.  Picked Malone who is a good person. He was a position Coach at OK State and Chad made him a DC. He wasn't ready for that job! He didn't have a lot of Talent on the D-side and Malone couldn't get Talent to come. The D was terrible and 3 years later still terrible! I believe this is why he went with Chavis. there will be some talented players that will come play for Chavis. Also he doesn't have to worry as much about the D. DO NOT WORRY, Morris will get the Offensive Talent there and the HOGS will score lots of points!

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 11, 2018, 03:34:54 pm

The OP is new. Something tells me he knows what he's talking about though.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

OLEJACKETFAN

Another opinion I have is I think Norvell and Morris are both great Coaches!! I know some on here wanted Norvell. But I think Morris will prove the right choice. Remember Norvell went to a program that was very talented and already successful. Chad went to a Total different situation. He will know how to fix things and deal with some of the Bumps in the Road easier. Everyone needs to remember Chad was OC at Tulsa just a few years ago. Norvell was his WR Coach there. Both will be successful, I just believe Chad can handle the turnaround better.

bennyl08

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on January 11, 2018, 03:58:09 pm

We're pretty much saying the same thing with the only disagreement being how stable a foundation June Jones left for Morris.

SMU had a quarter of a century without a single bowl game, and only one winning season in that time span since the death penalty.

June Jones comes in and struggled his first year, but then led SMU to 4 straight bowl games alternating 8 and 7 wins over that 4 year stretch. SMU had never been to 4 straight bowl games in it's entire history, even pre-death penalty.

Then the team went 5-7 where they were a combined 10 points away from 8 wins again with only 1 conference loss by more than 4 points. I don't think that's really a sign that he had given up. With 4 straight years of a success at a school with that record, a season like that is to be expected.

It was the next season that he quit citing that he had reached his goal of turning the program around and basically exhausted.

So the question, is 4 years of unprecedented success and a 5th year that was still better than the program was used to a stable enough base to withstand one year of an interim coach where the program quickly lost all the footing? Had those 5 years of success been reset by the one year before Morris took over, or was it a temporary hiccup?

For Arkansas, it would equivalent to something like Petrino going 4 years in a row with 10+ wins, another year with 8 wins where we were still very competitive in the losses, and then the motorcycle accident and Smiley. Would the program have lost all national relevance in that time and the new coach have to start over from scratch, or there still be a decent amount of prestige still about the program that the new coach could use? I tend to think the latter, but obviously, it's impossible to definitively say one way or the other.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

bennyl08

Quote from: OLEJACKETFAN on January 11, 2018, 04:13:00 pm
Another opinion I have is I think Norvell and Morris are both great Coaches!! I know some on here wanted Norvell. But I think Morris will prove the right choice. Remember Norvell went to a program that was very talented and already successful. Chad went to a Total different situation. He will know how to fix things and deal with some of the Bumps in the Road easier. Everyone needs to remember Chad was OC at Tulsa just a few years ago. Norvell was his WR Coach there. Both will be successful, I just believe Chad can handle the turnaround better.

Looking at the coaching records at Memphis, I came away more impressed with Fuente who beat us at VT than Norvell in the same way that I came away more impressed with Jones than Morris at SMU.

A big concern of mine with Morris vs Norvell is the recruiting.

In 2014: Memphis 78th and SMU was 80th.
2015: Memphis is 77th and SMU now has Morris as HC and is ranked 81st.
2016: Norvell now at memphis and now they jump to 61st in recruiting, SMU in Morris's 2nd year rises only to 75th.
2017: Norvell's 2nd year at Memphis and now they are 56th in recruiting. Morris's 3rd year and they fall back to 80th.

Norvell looks like he can take a program and improve their recruiting while Morris won't make it any worse, but doesn't seem to be able to do any better either.

netteltonhog

It's hard to compare Memphis to SMU because of admissions standards. 

OLEJACKETFAN

I cant argue your recruiting opinions. Your Dead on! But if I was a Recruit and came to a SMU game during a recruit weekend, and there were less than 5000 people in the Stands I would be going elsewhere regardless of the Coach! Also no IPF! I don't see these problems at Arkansas.

colbs

Quote from: netteltonhog on January 11, 2018, 04:38:34 pm
Good point-similar to Vandy.

blueridger

OLEJACKETFAN

Someone posted Im a new OP. Guess that would be very True. Im older guy and not from Arkansas but very interested in your success due to hiring Morris. I can tell yall a couple things, he is very, very smart. Real organized. After his meet the HOGS intro I would be willing to bet they have reviewed the video and checked every Players initial reaction. I also know every players Twitter is constantly viewed. Everyone is being evaluated.

Tusks

Not saying CM won't be successful but all those problems are equal to what happens in the SEC every year.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

JIHawg

I'm older too, and I will tell you with Morris I am more excited and hopeful than I have been in 40 years.  We got the right man.  Welcome to the board.  There will be highs and lows but hopefully many more highs.  I look forward to reading your takes in the future.

racinghog

Yep and we seem to have a plethora of newbies singing his praises.

racinghog

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 11, 2018, 04:29:27 pm
Looking at the coaching records at Memphis, I came away more impressed with Fuente who beat us at VT than Norvell in the same way that I came away more impressed with Jones than Morris at SMU.

2016: Norvell now at memphis and now they jump to 61st in recruiting, SMU in Morris's 2nd year rises only to 75th.
2017: Norvell's 2nd year at Memphis and now they are 56th in recruiting. Morris's 3rd year and they fall back to 80th.

Norvell looks like he can take a program and improve their recruiting while Morris won't make it any worse, but doesn't seem to be able to do any better either.
Big difference here is Dallas is right in the middle of one of the most fertile recruiting grounds in the country. Memphis not so much.

As a disclaimer I was not pulling for anyone in particular to be hired so I have no dog in this hunt.

HoggyCat

Well, he IS on a first name basis with the coach, so.....
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Wooderson

Give me liberty, or give me death!

mckinneyhog5

Sorry, injuries can't be used as an excuse for losing. No here at Arkansas. No ma'am, no sir.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

redeye

Quote from: tusked on January 11, 2018, 05:14:48 pm
Not saying CM won't be successful but all those problems are equal to what happens in the SEC every year.

Yea, I was thinking how that sounded like every year for us.  But the difference is that we're in much better shape than SMU.  It does seem like Norvell has recruited better at Memphis, but Memphis has had more success and I doubt that recruiting rankings are worth much for teams that finish over 50th, since these players aren't scrutinized as much.

I don't know if Morris will ever win the SEC-W, and appear in the national title game that usually comes with it, but I do think he'll do well and re-energize the fan base.

Quote from: racinghog on January 11, 2018, 05:17:58 pm
Yep and we seem to have a plethora of newbies singing his praises.

Hmmm... I mostly see oldies singing praises to the OP, but you seem pretty new.

RebHog

Good stat breakdown which is concerning. I don't like the excuses for the mediocre results at SMU all though they probably have some validity. FAU had 3 consecutive 3-9 seasons in comes Kiffin boom 11-3 in season 1 and USA today preseason rank 21 for next year. This being said I like what CMM has said so far and the energy he seems to be bringing. He also runs a high powered offense which IMO was critical to compete in the SEC.

theFlyingHog

OP - new account
Tavernite- vouches for new poster
Hmmm

racinghog

Quote from: redeye on January 11, 2018, 05:47:27 pm
Yea, I was thinking how that sounded like every year for us.  But the difference is that we're in much better shape than SMU.  It does seem like Norvell has recruited better at Memphis, but Memphis has had more success and I doubt that recruiting rankings are worth much for teams that finish over 50th, since these players aren't scrutinized as much.

I don't know if Morris will ever win the SEC-W, and appear in the national title game that usually comes with it, but I do think he'll do well and re-energize the fan base.

Hmmm... I mostly see oldies singing praises to the OP, but you seem pretty new.
Not the ones that are old hands, and I have been here longer than you, I was referring to the ones that joined from Dec 3 through the 10. I welcome the new hog fans from that week but please do not try to lead us to the koolaide.

racinghog

Quote from: RebHog on January 11, 2018, 05:48:34 pm
Good stat breakdown which is concerning. I don't like the excuses for the mediocre results at SMU all though they probably have some validity. FAU had 3 consecutive 3-9 seasons in comes Kiffin boom 11-3 in season 1 and USA today preseason rank 21 for next year. This being said I like what CMM has said so far and the energy he seems to be bringing. He also runs a high powered offense which IMO was critical to compete in the SEC.

Try comparing Scott Frost and UCF.

redeye

Quote from: racinghog on January 11, 2018, 06:05:55 pm
Not the ones that are old hands, and I have been here longer than you, I was referring to the ones that joined from Dec 3 through the 10. I welcome the new hog fans from that week but please do not try to lead us to the koolaide.

I see your account is older than mine, but I've been around since before the Pig Pen days, so I've seen it all.

Imo, the newbies are more likely to complain about others drinking the koolaid.

OLEJACKETFAN

I was on the School Board of a small School in East Texas in 1998. We had a solid Football team, but couldn't quite get over the Hump! Our Coach had taken another job and we were doing a Coaching search. Had over a 100 applicants or so. We brought in about 10 for interviews. Brought 2 back to decide between. One Coach had quite a bit success in larger program but then had a couple bad years and was let go. The other Coach only had a year or two under his belt. The younger guy was full of energy and talked really good. After much discussion we voted to hire the wet behind ears Coach with lots of energy! We were in the Texas State Championship the next 2 years! Chad was also an excellent Algebra Teacher! Paula taught at the Elementary! Chandler was a baby. My buddies and I were talking last weekend and talked about the house we rented them back then for a dollar a month. His salary was about $49,500 a year. We got our moneys worth! My daughter still swears you were the most demanding Math Teacher she ever had! But the best Teacher she ever had! She has her Masters now. Thanks Coach Morris for all the memories! I hope and believe you will do the same for the HOGS!!

bennyl08

Quote from: racinghog on January 11, 2018, 06:06:54 pm
Try comparing Scott Frost and UCF.

? UCF has been a pretty good program for a while with several players in the NFL from that school. Not sure what you are wanting to compare?

Quote from: racinghog on January 11, 2018, 05:29:09 pm
Big difference here is Dallas is right in the middle of one of the most fertile recruiting grounds in the country. Memphis not so much.

As a disclaimer I was not pulling for anyone in particular to be hired so I have no dog in this hunt.

Probably a reader error here, but the tone of the post sounds like you are saying this in contrast to my post but the data would be enhancing my argument. Again, tone is hard to portray in text so that's like I said, that's probably me reading something that isn't there.

http://www.memphis.edu/admissions/freshmen/req_freshman.php
http://www.smu.edu/Admission/Apply/FirstYear/AdmissionRequirements

They aren't that different based on the website. Both need 4 units of english, 3 units of math, and 2 of a foreign language.

SMU requires one additional social science course and one additional science course which must have a lab component. Memphis requires a performance arts class which SMU does not.

Neither list any GPA or test score minimums.

Out of curiosity, I looked up the UA's minimum admission requirements,

It's ambiguous if it's required or just strongly advised, but it's listed on the page as needing a 3.0 GPA out of 4.0 (i.e. not counting college credit classes on a 5.0 scale) and a 20 on the ACT. 4 units of english (same as the other 2), 4 units of math (more than the other two), 3 units of science all with lab experience (same total as SMU, 1 more than memphis, 1 more lab requirement than SMU), 3 units of social science with more strict requirements about which classes count, and we require half a unit of fine arts, oral communication, health/safety, and physical education.

In short, both Norvell and Morris would have faced way tougher admissions requirements in recruiting than either faced at SMU or Memphis. Of course, being in the SEC we have way more draw as well.

farmhawg

Except he has maturity issues he needs to fix. We are much better off with Morris.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

bennyl08

Quote from: OLEJACKETFAN on January 11, 2018, 06:27:18 pm
I was on the School Board of a small School in East Texas in 1998. We had a solid Football team, but couldn't quite get over the Hump! Our Coach had taken another job and we were doing a Coaching search. Had over a 100 applicants or so. We brought in about 10 for interviews. Brought 2 back to decide between. One Coach had quite a bit success in larger program but then had a couple bad years and was let go. The other Coach only had a year or two under his belt. The younger guy was full of energy and talked really good. After much discussion we voted to hire the wet behind ears Coach with lots of energy! We were in the Texas State Championship the next 2 years! Chad was also an excellent Algebra Teacher! Paula taught at the Elementary! Chandler was a baby. My buddies and I were talking last weekend and talked about the house we rented them back then for a dollar a month. His salary was about $49,500 a year. We got our moneys worth! My daughter still swears you were the most demanding Math Teacher she ever had! But the best Teacher she ever had! She has her Masters now. Thanks Coach Morris for all the memories! I hope and believe you will do the same for the HOGS!!

What'd she get her masters in?

OLEJACKETFAN

I am also learning your Forums and this probably belongs on the Recruit site. But unless something real Crazy happens yall will sign Tyree Wilson from West Rusk! will need to get more weight on him.

OLEJACKETFAN

Business Administration/ Accounting from an SEC School.

goodguytex

I'm like many Hog fans on this board that have been around awhile, I think, in that when bielema was hired, with his record, the staff he brought in full of big names and accomplishments... I got my hopes and expectations way up that bielema would have the Hogs competing for championships in 3 years minimum.

All that not only fell to pieces, but never got put together to fall to pieces to begin with. So now with Morris coming in, his previous record as a HC, and everything, I'm going to be very hesitant to get my hopes up that he can do any different really than what bielema did.

He did I think make a very smart decision in hiring chavis and Cooper and Caldwell for the defense.

Last time chavis and Caldwell worked together, the team they worked together on was competing for NCs or conference titles regularly. They have a chemistry together that is a great one, and I'm very excited about that part of it. As for achieving heights not seen in recruiting and wins in recent years, I'm taking a wait and see attitude.

racinghog

Quote from: redeye on January 11, 2018, 06:16:12 pm
I see your account is older than mine, but I've been around since before the Pig Pen days, so I've seen it all.

Imo, the newbies are more likely to complain about others drinking the koolaid.
I guess it depends on which flavor is being served. I have been around since the 63 season, so this new technology thing is well just new. Go Hogs

JIHawg

I apologize for the negativity in this thread and on this board.  We've been through a couple of bad years and some are taking awhile to get over that.  The negativity will ameliorate as spring practice gets in full stride.

racinghog

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 11, 2018, 06:29:34 pm
? UCF has been a pretty good program for a while with several players in the NFL from that school. Not sure what you are wanting to compare?

Probably a reader error here, but the tone of the post sounds like you are saying this in contrast to my post but the data would be enhancing my argument. Again, tone is hard to portray in text so that's like I said, that's probably me reading something that isn't there.

They aren't that different based on the website. Both need 4 units of english, 3 units of math, and 2 of a foreign language.

SMU requires one additional social science course and one additional science course which must have a lab component. Memphis requires a performance arts class which SMU does not.

It's ambiguous if it's required or just strongly advised, but it's listed on the page as needing a 3.0 GPA out of 4.0 (i.e. not counting college credit classes on a 5.0 scale) and a 20 on the ACT. 4 units of english (same as the other 2), 4 units of math (more than the other two), 3 units of science all with lab experience (same total as SMU, 1 more than memphis, 1 more lab requirement than SMU), 3 units of social science with more strict requirements about which classes count, and we require half a unit of fine arts, oral communication, health/safety, and physical education.

In short, both Norvell and Morris would have faced way tougher admissions requirements in recruiting than either faced at SMU or Memphis. Of course, being in the SEC we have way more draw as well.
Correct I am attempting to say the same thing although differently.

Stu

Quote from: RebHog on January 11, 2018, 05:48:34 pm
FAU was coached by Charlie Partridge who was known as an effective recruiter in S FL area (near his hometown).  My understanding is that FAUs issue was coaching, not talent. I remember reading an article where one of the players had said something to the effect that they knew they had talent but it wasn't showing up in the wins and losses until Kiffin got there.

OLEJACKETFAN

I was hesitant to post on here because Im older and don't care to get into negative back and forth much. I do respect others opinions. Just seems to be a lot of negative things.  Remember this, Morris was the highest paid HS Coach in Texas at Lake Travis. He was the highest paid OC in the nation at Clemson. He was the highest paid G5 Coach last year at SMU.   More than one place has believed in him. Give him a chance and you want be disappointed!

cpahog

Thank you for posting  OleJacket.  I've been here for years and don't post because of the negativity.   I come here looking for good information like you have provided.

bphi11ips

Quote from: OLEJACKETFAN on January 11, 2018, 07:06:06 pm
I was hesitant to post on here because Im older and don't care to get into negative back and forth much. I do respect others opinions. Just seems to be a lot of negative things.  Remember this, Morris was the highest paid HS Coach in Texas at Lake Travis. He was the highest paid OC in the nation at Clemson. He was the highest paid G5 Coach last year at SMU.   More than one place has believed in him. Give him a chance and you want be disappointed!

Lots of old guys in this thread. Old guys tend to look big picture. Your school board hired the man, not the coach. John Barnhill did the same with Frank Broyles.

Head coach hiring decisions are too often made to appease the fanbase.  This decision was based upon the best man a available.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

DeltaBoy

And Memphis is rich with hometown talent!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

racinghog

Quote from: OLEJACKETFAN on January 11, 2018, 07:06:06 pm
Thanks for your input! I have been here through several coaching changes and have never experienced the shear number of people who signed up to push our new hire. Never happened with Petrino, Johnl, or Beliema. But there are several new posters openly pushing this hire, so there is bound to be some push back.

I hope you can come to some games now that you are a hog fan. If you are still in EF you can be in Fay. in about 4 hours, BR in 5, Dallas and LR in 3. We play in all those venues and I would love to sit with you and discuss ET football.

OLEJACKETFAN

Several of us have all intentions to go to ATT and watch the A&M game. Will keep posted and maybe we can meet up late September. Morris wanted the A&M job but didn't work out that way. So Im sure he is going to want to prove something! I also know if your a Oldtime 61 yr old Coach that was highly respected a couple years back and basically told your no longer wanted. Bound to be a huge chip on his shoulder!! The game was close last year. I really like that situation and the HOGS chances.

jneal56

Wasting your time. People are either on board or they're not. None of us can change their opinion by a post on a message board. I'm optimistic with all the changes because at least now there is hope. After CBB's 3rd season, I lost hope because I was already seeing a decline. My wife doesn't watch the games but she's listened to me yell at the TV for 19 years now when the Hogs are playing. She said she could how bad it was getting after the 3rd season by the way I would eventually just shut down during the game and watch without any emotion. And yes, I yelled loud enough for CBB to hear me no matter where the Hogs were playing and he failed to listen to my armchair coaching so the way I see it, he had a way to win a couple of NC's (yes I'm that good, Saban called me at Halftime Monday night and I said "put the freshman in" the rest is history) had he listened to my bellowing but he chose not to.
"At least we are moral"

Pig Worshipper

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 11, 2018, 07:38:55 pm
Lots of old guys in this thread. Old guys tend to look big picture. Your school board hired the man, not the coach. John Barnhill did the same with Frank Broyles.

Head coach hiring decisions are too often made to appease the fanbase.  This decision was based upon the best man a available.
No it wasn't. If the criteria was "the best man available" Chad Morris wouldn't have gotten this great job and at such wonderful school. Almost any one of coaches available had a bigger upside than Chad Morris. Admittedly, some had a bigger downside. But the powers that be made a very safe, John Pelphrey-like choice that is going to work out eerily similar to how Pelphrey did in basketball here at Arkansas. Yes, Morris will bring new energy, for awhile, then his act will grow very old and we'll be back in the same position 4-5 years from now.

pigtrino

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 11, 2018, 06:29:34 pm

Ignorant or contrarian. 

Just look at ACT ranges:  SMU  28-32.   UA  23-29.  Memphis  18-25.  You still have to be admitted. The minimum standards you cite only tell part of the story.

Stu

Quote from: Pig Worshipper on January 11, 2018, 08:41:40 pm
No it wasn't. If the criteria was "the best man available" Chad Morris wouldn't have gotten this great job and at such wonderful school. Almost any one of coaches available had a bigger upside than Chad Morris. Admittedly, some had a bigger downside. But the powers that be made a very safe, John Pelphrey-like choice that is going to work out eerily similar to how Pelphrey did in basketball here at Arkansas. Yes, Morris will bring new energy, for awhile, then his act will grow very old and we'll be back in the same position 4-5 years from now.
In the immortal words of one Mr. T, "I pity the fool" who has a mentality like this poster.  I don't understand why anyone would choose to have such a negative thought process for a team that they supposedly love and support. 

That can't be healthy, right?