Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toughness

Started by toxichog, January 21, 2015, 08:21:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

toxichog

This team is not strong at the guard position......but it's possible to make up for any lack of talent/skills with true mental and physical toughness...........which used to be a trademark of Nolan's guards......Lee Mayberry, Corey Beck, Keith Wilson, Clint McDaniel, Arlyn Bowers, Kareem Reid.....and on and on.........some were loaded with basketball skills, some just average.....but all could defend......and the teams would force the other team to start their offense 45 feet from the basket.  Guys you would want on your side in a bar fight......TOUGH. 
I don't know if you can fix this or not..........some of it is attitude....which can change......but some of it a person has to be born with..........
Even some of our Bigs have tough looking bodies.......but haul down 1 or 2 rebounds a game......almost look like they don't want to join the fray going on under the basket. 
This is not a super talented team......but it not without talent either.  But at times they really play soft.....especially on the defensive end of the court.  If that doesn't change........this season is going to be very very long.

hogfan10

Quote from: toxichog on January 21, 2015, 08:21:44 pm
This team is not strong at the guard position......but it's possible to make up for any lack of talent/skills with true mental and physical toughness...........which used to be a trademark of Nolan's guards......Lee Mayberry, Corey Beck, Keith Wilson, Clint McDaniel, Arlyn Bowers, Kareem Reid.....and on and on.........some were loaded with basketball skills, some just average.....but all could defend......and the teams would force the other team to start their offense 45 feet from the basket.  Guys you would want on your side in a bar fight......TOUGH. 
I don't know if you can fix this or not..........some of it is attitude....which can change......but some of it a person has to be born with..........
Even some of our Bigs have tough looking bodies.......but haul down 1 or 2 rebounds a game......almost look like they don't want to join the fray going on under the basket. 
This is not a super talented team......but it not without talent either.  But at times they really play soft.....especially on the defensive end of the court.  If that doesn't change........this season is going to be very very long.

I don't think any of the past guards you mentioned were just average in BASKETBALL skills. Defense is a skill you know.

Hoggish1

Quote from: toxichog on January 21, 2015, 08:21:44 pm

Rebounding is about fundamentals.

Thepigdoctor

Quote from: Hoggish1 on January 22, 2015, 09:20:49 am
Rebounding is about fundamentals.

Rebounding is 50% fundamentals, 50% I want the basketball more than you. You can have all the fundamentals in the world, but if you don't want the basketball more than the other guy, you aren't getting it.

But I agree that you have to start with fundamentals, finish with will.