Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Name: JUCO Ahmed Hamdy Mohamed

Started by Hawg Red, January 21, 2015, 04:11:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawg Red

January 21, 2015, 04:11:26 pm Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 06:32:02 pm by Hawg Red
QuoteBrad Winton ‏@JucoRecruiting 5m5 minutes ago

Arkansas is the latest school to show interest in Humday Mohammed (6'9/F/2015) of Lee College

EDIT: Player's name is Ahmed Hamdy Mohamed per the University of Houston's website.

Boardon Hamsay

In before first Geico camel ad reference
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

Hog Fan from Camden

The_Iceman

Hogimus Prime

With the Hogs after Kapita, showing interest in this kid and Jackson I wonder if MA is trying to sign a couple of forwards around 6'9" if Portis goes early.

At UAB his 4s were around 6'6" at Mizzou they were in that 6'8" to 6'9" range

The_Iceman

porkinsons disease

6'9", hmmm. Wonder if he can play defense 35-40 feet from the basket  ;)
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

Hawg Red

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 21, 2015, 04:35:11 pm
I think they got the name wrong, because I can't find him anywhere. This is the only player at Lee College with a name close to that:

http://njcaaregion14.com/sports/mbkb/2014-15/players/ahmedmohamed1vpz
http://www.jucorecruiting.com/ahmed-mohamed-lee-college

His last game:
http://njcaaregion14.com/sports/mbkb/2014-15/boxscores/20150117_zpb7.xml

Thanks.

Thought it was odd I couldn't find anything on him. I think "Humday" is a nickname.

rude1

Quote from: porkinsons disease on January 21, 2015, 04:35:49 pm
This made me lol. Good one. +1

Hawg Red

Lee College is one of the top JUCO programs and his numbers look damn good. Looking forward to learning more about him and if he'd be a good addition. Looks that way on paper.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 21, 2015, 04:40:31 pm
Thanks.

Thought it was odd I couldn't find anything on him. I think "Humday" is a nickname.

He is no slouch of a player. That is for sure. 25 pts, 18 rebs, 2 blks, and 1 stl in his last game is a monster stat line.

Can't find any video on him tho.

Thepigdoctor

How long is this going to be beaten to death now? You all realize the two players who do this are sophomores and still developing their games right? Especially in Portis' case, he needs a lot of work at this, as he'll be asked to switch out high at the next level and his current high ball defense is the weakest part of his game.

I'd say the majority of us on here were old enough to remember the early and championship Nolan teams, and this was something he did as well. Go watch some old game footage and remind yourself just how often Corliss and a guard were out high trapping and getting turnovers. The problem with this is, we have two youngsters who still haven't figured out exactly what they are supposed to be doing and above average guards, especially upper classmen, expose that. We also don't have that big body beast in the center of the lane to pick up when a break down occurs.

When the light finally comes on for Portis out high and he's showing flashes of it, you same people are going to realize how big of an advantage having a 6'11 guy out there to disrupt and offense can be. Right now, it barely looks good half the time, but give the youngsters a chance to learn, and good things might just happen. Maybe it never fully clicks and Mike looks like a stubborn fool for not adjusting away from it, but the only way to be successful at something is to work on it until it's perfect, not give up halfway through a season because we've had a couple bad games.

rude1

Quote from: Thepigdoctor on January 21, 2015, 04:51:50 pm
How long is this going to be beaten to death now? You all realize the two players who do this are sophomores and still developing their games right? Especially in Portis' case, he needs a lot of work at this, as he'll be asked to switch out high at the next level and his current high ball defense is the weakest part of his game.

I'd say the majority of us on here were old enough to remember the early and championship Nolan teams, and this was something he did as well. Go watch some old game footage and remind yourself just how often Corliss and a guard were out high trapping and getting turnovers. The problem with this is, we have two youngsters who still haven't figured out exactly what they are supposed to be doing and above average guards, especially upper classmen, expose that. We also don't have that big body beast in the center of the lane to pick up when a break down occurs.

When the light finally comes on for Portis out high and he's showing flashes of it, you same people are going to realize how big of an advantage having a 6'11 guy out there to disrupt and offense can be. Right now, it barely looks good half the time, but give the youngsters a chance to learn, and good things might just happen. Maybe it never fully clicks and Mike looks like a stubborn fool for not adjusting away from it, but the only way to be successful at something is to work on it until it's perfect, not give up halfway through a season because we've had a couple bad games.
Sorry but I don't recall Darnell Robinson, Oliver Miller, Mario Credit, Lee Wilson, etc....... 30' from the basket switching ball screens and trying to guard a guard. If you have footage of this I would welcome seeing it.

Thepigdoctor

Quote from: rude1 on January 21, 2015, 04:58:12 pm
Sorry but I don't recall Darnell Robinson, Oliver Miller, Mario Credit, Lee Wilson, etc....... 30' from the basket switching ball screens and trying to guard a guard. If you have footage of this I would welcome seeing it.

They didn't have to, those guys were true centers. As my post said, we are lacking a true center to protect when this breaks down. Nolan had those guys to protect the lane, our current team does not. It's a reason to wonder why Mike continues to run the risk of having his PF extend so high, but it's part of what he learned.

rude1

Quote from: Thepigdoctor on January 21, 2015, 05:06:23 pm
They didn't have to, those guys were true centers. As my post said, we are lacking a true center to protect when this breaks down. Nolan had those guys to protect the lane, our current team does not. It's a reason to wonder why Mike continues to run the risk of having his PF extend so high, but it's part of what he learned.
So you are saying because CMA doesn't have a true center, he takes his biggest guy and makes him play out on the perimeter and just pretends there is someone else back there to be "the true center" on defense?  Nicky Davis wasn't a true center but do you recall Nolan having him switching ball screens 30' from the basket? It didn't happen and another reason why is Nolan's staple defense was his match up zone while CMA is man to man with switching all ball screens. He is NOT doing what Nolan did.

The_Iceman

Can we please leave the Nolan/Mike bashing/comparisons out of recruiting threads please!

Stop trolling. Stop your argument right now and move it to another thread or to PMs.

Swinesong1

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 21, 2015, 04:41:59 pm
He is no slouch of a player. That is for sure. 25 pts, 18 rebs, 2 blks, and 1 stl in his last game is a monster stat line.

Can't find any video on him tho.
Appears he'll have three years left also.  Just a freshman.

porkinsons disease

Quote from: rude1 on January 21, 2015, 05:13:02 pm
So you are saying because CMA doesn't have a true center, he takes his biggest guy and makes him play out on the perimeter and just pretends there is someone else back there to be "the true center" on defense?  Nicky Davis wasn't a true center but do you recall Nolan having him switching ball screens 30' from the basket? It didn't happen and another reason why is Nolan's staple defense was his match up zone while CMA is man to man with switching all ball screens. He is NOT doing what Nolan did.
^^^this. Kingsley is a shot blocker, but not from 35 feet out. Automatically switching on every screen, instead of fighting through them, is a lazy way to play D.

thepigdoctor,Hopefully it is a players issue because I do not see Mike ever abandoning this. It leads to mismatches inside and outside. Hopefully he has the answers. That is what he is paid well to do. Go Hogs.
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

nwahogfan1

I can see doubling on picks trying to get a TO but this is not at all what CMA is trying to do or at least I don't think it is.  I don't see it anyway.

We have Trey Thompson waiting to play and he is a true big boy who will be excellent on the block so I hope what ever CMA is trying to do it doesn't require Trey to guard a PG 30 feet away.

I don't see why you want Moses guarding a PG but I see him also doing this.

MEMO to CMA.  Don't make players do what they are not built or gifted to do and your chances of success will go up.

Danny J

Second funniest thing I have read all day.

latrops

Quote from: porkinsons disease on January 21, 2015, 06:02:55 pm
^^^this. Kingsley is a shot blocker, but not from 35 feet out. Automatically switching on every screen, instead of fighting through them, is a lazy way to play D.

thepigdoctor,Hopefully it is a players issue because I do not see Mike ever abandoning this. It leads to mismatches inside and outside. Hopefully he has the answers. That is what he is paid well to do. Go Hogs.

Switching vs. fighting through should be more situational.  Is fighting through a strength or weakness of the defender?  Is the opponent trying to get the switch?  Does the switch result in a better or worse matchup defensively? 

I'm OK with switching as a rule, as long as it's working.  If it is resulting in repeated bad matchups and fouls or scores, you need to adjust and try something else.

Danny J

Quote from: latrops on January 21, 2015, 07:45:16 pm
Switching vs. fighting through should be more situational.  Is fighting through a strength or weakness of the defender?  Is the opponent trying to get the switch?  Does the switch result in a better or worse matchup defensively? 

I'm OK with switching as a rule, as long as it's working.  If it is resulting in repeated bad matchups and fouls or scores, you need to adjust and try something else.
I agree and in the case of ISU and Ole Miss it certainly was not working and not only that we never adjusted out of it. I am not 100% certain but I think we stayed man virtually the entire game except for one possession I can think of. We started zone and switched half way through the possession. It then led to another mismatch and easy score. I don't recall going back to a zone after that and wondered why not. Maybe they did play zone a couple other possessions but I just don't recall.

porkinsons disease

Quote from: latrops on January 21, 2015, 07:45:16 pm

I agree 100%. I just don't get automatically switching on every screen. That's exactly what the offense wants us to do. In most cases, it creates 2 mismatches.

rude1

Quote from: porkinsons disease on January 21, 2015, 08:31:21 pm
I agree 100%. I just don't get automatically switching on every screen. That's exactly what the offense wants us to do. In most cases, it creates 2 mismatches.
To add to that, when our bigs predictably make that switch, they don't play it safe and just defend from the 3 pt. line to the basket, they will chase the guard literally 30' from the basket as though they have a snowballs chance in hell of guarding that quicker player that far from the basket. It has just become mind boggling to me.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on January 21, 2015, 04:34:13 pm
With the Hogs after Kapita, showing interest in this kid and Jackson I wonder if MA is trying to sign a couple of forwards around 6'9" if Portis goes early.

At UAB his 4s were around 6'6" at Mizzou they were in that 6'8" to 6'9" range

I don't think it is about Portis.  How Mike wants to play requires G's, wings and versatile forwards.  He is short on all of those in terms of quality and ability to both defend and score and in the case of forwards rebound as well.  We have players who can do at least one of those sometimes to usually. 

The closest players to fill that versatile forward spot are Harris and Williams.  A Sr and Jr.  Miles will also be a Sr.  Thompson is more of a frontcourt project.  I could see the staff wanting to sign multiple F's if they can manage it. 

Qualls is the only wing.  A Jr who may be off to the developmental league or international after the season. 

Forwards looking for an opportunity for playing time should consider Arkansas right now. 

As far as the center discussion, Kingsley was listed as a center, Top 40 recruit/Top 5-6 center.  We list him as a forward on the roster.  This isn't the type of forward that thrives on both ends in how we are trying to play. 

He is avg under 10 mpg in SEC play and 1.5 ppg, .75 rpg, .5 blk, .5 stl over the 4 SEC games. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 21, 2015, 09:30:20 pm
I don't think it is about Portis.  How Mike wants to play requires G's, wings and versatile forwards.  He is short on all of those in terms of quality and ability to both defend and score and in the case of forwards rebound as well.  We have players who can do at least one of those sometimes to usually. 

The closest players to fill that versatile forward spot are Harris and Williams.  A Sr and Jr.  Miles will also be a Sr.  Thompson is more of a frontcourt project.  I could see the staff wanting to sign multiple F's if they can manage it. 

Qualls is the only wing.  A Jr who may be off to the developmental league or international after the season. 

Forwards looking for an opportunity for playing time should consider Arkansas right now. 

As far as the center discussion, Kingsley was listed as a center, Top 40 recruit/Top 5-6 center.  We list him as a forward on the roster.  This isn't the type of forward that thrives on both ends in how we are trying to play. 

He is avg under 10 mpg in SEC play and 1.5 ppg, .75 rpg, .5 blk, .5 stl over the 4 SEC games. 

His last couple of teams at Mizzou were a pg with a combo/point, swingman on the perimeter on the inisde it was Bowers, Stafford  Carroll types at the 4 and Ratliffe Leo Lyons and Steven Moore at types at the 5. So that has me thinking that's what he is trying to do here.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on January 21, 2015, 10:01:13 pm
His last couple of teams at Mizzou were a pg with a combo/point, swingman on the perimeter on the inisde it was Bowers, Stafford  Carroll types at the 4 and Ratliffe Leo Lyons and Steven Moore at types at the 5. So that has me thinking that's what he is trying to do here.

I agree.  I think he is trying to find that versatile fwd type similar to Clarke or Carroll and maybe multiple given the current roster. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Danny J

Quote from: rude1 on January 21, 2015, 09:10:02 pm
To add to that, when our bigs predictably make that switch, they don't play it safe and just defend from the 3 pt. line to the basket, they will chase the guard literally 30' from the basket as though they have a snowballs chance in hell of guarding that quicker player that far from the basket. It has just become mind boggling to me.
And Kennedy knew with the tight man to man we were playing just spread the court....wait for the big to follow, beat him, wait for the rotation then hit the open man. On top of that they were hitting ridiculous shots that I attribute to being in rhythm. Why allow a team to get into any kind of rhythm especially early in the game? The Ole Miss players had to feel like they could not only make "horse" shots but that they were playing against a defense that comprised of only 4 players.

Hope CMA makes some adjustments going forward. The next three games we are not really going to have to worry much about it. I suspect over the next 3 games our D will look to be much improved but only because of the opponents we are playing. The real test will be at UF where Donovan runs a spread pick and roll offense.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Thepigdoctor on January 21, 2015, 04:51:50 pm

Our post players should defending the basket not the 3 pointer.  You have to think that other post players take that into account when looking for a fit.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

WarPig88

What a bunch of whiners. Most of you don't deserve a good team to root for.

The_Iceman

I wonder if we will extend an offer to Mohamed or Jackson soon? Both solid JUCO forwards we have looked at.

Hawg Red

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 22, 2015, 01:27:39 pm
I wonder if we will extend an offer to Mohamed or Jackson soon? Both solid JUCO forwards we have looked at.

Having seen no footage on either player, and just going to be what little knowledge I have, I like Mohamed more. Mainly because he looks to have a sturdy frame and a knack for rebounding. That appeals to me more.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 22, 2015, 01:29:43 pm
Having seen no footage on either player, and just going to be what little knowledge I have, I like Mohamed more. Mainly because he looks to have a sturdy frame and a knack for rebounding. That appeals to me more.

What's weird is Mohamed as the better stats, but he has no recruiting profiles on any of the sites. And then Jackson is a 4-star on 247.

Swinesong1

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 22, 2015, 01:27:39 pm
Given Ahmed's age, I wonder if Europe would be his destination.  I wouldn't bet on him staying anywhere for three more years.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Swinesong1 on January 22, 2015, 03:03:54 pm
Given Ahmed's age, I wonder if Europe would be his destination.  I wouldn't bet on him staying anywhere for three more years.

Fair point.