Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Good night for the Hogs tonight (Tuesday)

Started by Fayettechill14, January 20, 2015, 10:31:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Fayettechill14

Iowa State beats Kansas State, 77-71
Georgia beats Ole Miss, 69-64
Tennessee beats South Carolina on the road, 66-62
Milwaukee beats Wright State, 67-41

Only blip was Dayton finally losing, going down to Davidson on the road.

RPI should go up a spot or two tomorrow, with Georgia and Tennessee's wins helping out the most.

Modsquad24

The_Iceman

Modsquad24

lefty08

Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Modsquad24

Whatever must be on the daycare board, was looking to talk sports with adults that could have an opinion

Biggus Piggus

Georgia holding Ole Miss to 64 points is a good night for Arkansas?
[CENSORED]!

lefty08

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 21, 2015, 06:41:55 am

You know the answer
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

lefty08

Quote from: Modsquad24 on January 21, 2015, 06:40:04 am
Whatever must be on the daycare board, was looking to talk sports with adults that could have an opinion

The next time you are looking for a sports discussion will be your first

Modsquad24

This board reminds me of a guy that has a fat n ugly girlfriend, but anytime a friend brings that up, they get all defensive

Kevin

when you get in the league, you just need to win games. because, someone winning who is above you in the standings, might help the rpi, but it does not allow you to move up in the standings.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

jry04

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 21, 2015, 06:41:55 am
We beat UGA on the road. I think he was saying in terms of keeping UGA a quality road win.

In the long run, that win actually hurts our RPI, because we play OM twice and UGA just once. However, I think I would rather have a top 50 RPI road win rather than UGA fall out of the top 50 and us get a 2 or 3 spot bump. Also, a home loss is more heavily weighted, so it will actually hurt our RPI the more OM loses, regardless of who it is against.

By the way, we actually fell 3 or 4 spots in the RPI. The Dayton loss dropped them from 18th to 28th, so we fell to 34th. This is one of the worst RPIs we have had all season, and it is still a respectable RPI. That is a good sign. Win the Thursday and we are back near the top 25 RPI.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Modsquad24 on January 21, 2015, 06:29:31 am
Hows that a blah blah blah and not a fact?

We have already won 13. You think we won't win again?

Hollywood_HOGan45

Thurs night is an absolutle must win.

It still would be a significant win since Alabama would be a top 50 RPI win.

Mike has to get the guys going thurs night.

TrueBlue

Some people think Selection Sunday is today.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: jry04 on January 21, 2015, 07:11:58 am
We beat UGA on the road. I think he was saying in terms of keeping UGA a quality road win.

In the long run, that win actually hurts our RPI, because we play OM twice and UGA just once. However, I think I would rather have a top 50 RPI road win rather than UGA fall out of the top 50 and us get a 2 or 3 spot bump. Also, a home loss is more heavily weighted, so it will actually hurt our RPI the more OM loses, regardless of who it is against.

By the way, we actually fell 3 or 4 spots in the RPI. The Dayton loss dropped them from 18th to 28th, so we fell to 34th. This is one of the worst RPIs we have had all season, and it is still a respectable RPI. That is a good sign. Win the Thursday and we are back near the top 25 RPI.

The big question, of course, is whether Arkansas can win at the Tad Pad. If not, last night was very bad.
[CENSORED]!

The_Iceman

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 21, 2015, 08:41:51 am
The big question, of course, is whether Arkansas can win at the Tad Pad. If not, last night was very bad.

That's a game I was expecting to lose. If we can pull that off, it would cancel it out.

jry04

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 21, 2015, 08:41:51 am
We seem to have 2 different definitions of "very bad."

Breems

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 21, 2015, 09:06:38 am
That's a game I was expecting to lose. If we can pull that off, it would cancel it out.

We will not win @Ole Miss. Ever.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

bigdaddyhawg

I don't get how those conference game outcomes help or hurt us. 

Perhaps in the short term, but by the end of the season we'll have played all of those teams, so how will these games change anything?
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

GuvHog

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on January 21, 2015, 07:14:27 am
We have already won 13. You think we won't win again?

Oh they'll win some more games but the real question is: How many???
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

jared72404

Quote from: Modsquad24 on January 21, 2015, 06:29:31 am
Hows that a blah blah blah and not a fact?
Quote from: Modsquad24 on January 21, 2015, 06:40:04 am

You were looking to talk sports, and what you had to offer was "if we cant win wont matter"? That's just an easy observation that is true for every single team. Bring something that isn't childish to the table and maybe adults will talk sports with you.

popcornhog

WPS

The_Iceman

Quote from: jared72404 on January 21, 2015, 01:50:19 pm
You were looking to talk sports, and what you had to offer was "if we cant win wont matter"? That's just an easy observation that is true for every single team. Bring something that isn't childish to the table and maybe adults will talk sports with you.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Correction: I didn't want to waste my time to say it myself.

Thepigdoctor

Overall I think we lost a spot or two last night in the rpi. Sometimes your opponents can win and things seem good, but the biggest impact can be behind the scenes at what your opponents loss teams did. Case in point, Clemson had some ugly losses, one to Winthrop. The other night I saw they lost to someone just awful. I want to say Clemson played a good team close that night, or even won, but dropped in the rpi.

It's not always what's on the surface, which is what makes the RPI such a reliable metric when evaluating where teams rank. That said, we certainly didn't do anything last week to justify our 13th ranking, but up to that point, we hadn't done a lot to show we didn't deserve it.

I watch more college basketball than I should admit to and the overwhelming thing I see is just how far the game has fallen. It's all about dunks and threes, but even most "good" players struggle to shoot 35% from beyond the arc. The days of elite defense, great offensive sets, and jump shooting have damn near been eliminated. Sure there are still some really great coaches out there who get one or two, maybe even all three of these from their teams, but those teams are seriously in the minority. This leads to an alarmingly lack of consistency, increasing parity, and overall a lesser product for fans to enjoy.

I blame it on the one and done rule, along with so much more exposure for recruits at a young age. These kids get their heads filled starting in the 7th and 8th grade anymore and from that point on, you can pretty much kiss heart and fundamentals goodbye. Sure you'll have those exceptions, mostly kids with a strong family/support system, but those are in the minority these days as well.

We'll never slow down the recruiting crap, it's become a multi-million, if not billion dollar business, but the NCAA could step in to improve its product by getting rid of one and done. MLB has it right, go pro or go to college for three years. I miss what college basketball used to be. I'll never stop watching because I truly enjoy watching a good basketball game to unwind after a hard day of work (spent posting on HV), but in the last 10 years I hardly recognize the game anymore.

popcornhog

Quote from: Thepigdoctor on January 21, 2015, 04:40:37 pm
Overall I think we lost a spot or two last night in the rpi. Sometimes your opponents can win and things seem good, but the biggest impact can be behind the scenes at what your opponents loss teams did. Case in point, Clemson had some ugly losses, one to Winthrop. The other night I saw they lost to someone just awful. I want to say Clemson played a good team close that night, or even won, but dropped in the rpi.

It's not always what's on the surface, which is what makes the RPI such a reliable metric when evaluating where teams rank. That said, we certainly didn't do anything last week to justify our 13th ranking, but up to that point, we hadn't done a lot to show we didn't deserve it.

I watch more college basketball than I should admit to and the overwhelming thing I see is just how far the game has fallen. It's all about dunks and threes, but even most "good" players struggle to shoot 35% from beyond the arc. The days of elite defense, great offensive sets, and jump shooting have damn near been eliminated. Sure there are still some really great coaches out there who get one or two, maybe even all three of these from their teams, but those teams are seriously in the minority. This leads to an alarmingly lack of consistency, increasing parity, and overall a lesser product for fans to enjoy.

I blame it on the one and done rule, along with so much more exposure for recruits at a young age. These kids get their heads filled starting in the 7th and 8th grade anymore and from that point on, you can pretty much kiss heart and fundamentals goodbye. Sure you'll have those exceptions, mostly kids with a strong family/support system, but those are in the minority these days as well.

We'll never slow down the recruiting crap, it's become a multi-million, if not billion dollar business, but the NCAA could step in to improve its product by getting rid of one and done. MLB has it right, go pro or go to college for three years. I miss what college basketball used to be. I'll never stop watching because I truly enjoy watching a good basketball game to unwind after a hard day of work (spent posting on HV), but in the last 10 years I hardly recognize the game anymore.

I do think that one and done is horrible. I'd prefer that the NBA just allow kids to go pro straight out of high school even.

In a perfect world, the NBA would require kids to be 4 years removed from high school OR have a college degree. But I know that's impossible.

The perfect compromise would be to implement the college baseball rule.
WPS