Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

TN & OM losses remind me of . . .

Started by McKdaddy, January 19, 2015, 02:50:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

McKdaddy

The back-to-back losses towards the end of the 1989-90 season @BU & @ TCU. We were 20-2 and ranked #3 going into the BU game. Our opponents could do little wrong those 2 games and we could do little right.

No, I'm not saying this Hog team is as talented as that FF team of 1990.  Nor am I saying this team will shake off those losses to make a FF run.

But for some reason that I can't explain, after we lost inexplicably to both TN & OM, I couldn't (and still cannot) shake the similar feelings of frustration I had following the BU & TCU losses of 1990.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Thepigdoctor

Interesting take, nice observation from the past. Interesting to note that the sky didn't fall back then either did it?

HF#1

Pretty sure I can find a game that was similar to every other game we have played. 
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Thepigdoctor on January 19, 2015, 02:54:29 pm
Interesting take, nice observation from the past. Interesting to note that the sky didn't fall back then either did it?

A big difference between that team and this, is that team had some guys who were tough as nails and refused to lose and would fight to the death to win.

Outside of Bobby, I'm not sure we've got a core of folks that has that mentality.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

rusvegashog

What worries me is how good Bama has looked this year.

Danny J

Quote from: rusvegashog on January 19, 2015, 04:45:29 pm
What worries me is how good Bama has looked this year.
I wouldn't worry about Bama at all. They don't have the PG play of Ole Miss. We will beat them easily.

gmarv

did you see them against Kentucky?it was like night and day the way they played ken. and how ole miss played ken.

Danny J

Quote from: gmarv on January 19, 2015, 04:54:45 pm
did you see them against Kentucky?it was like night and day the way they played ken. and how ole miss played ken.
Yeah....they were no match at all.

rusvegashog

I've just honestly only seen highlights and final scores and it seems that he has had his kids on point. I don't know what's happened w Bama this week, but just a week ago I had the thought that they as of then might be the second best team in the league. Ill trust y'all have seen and know more than I. Having said that I'm just a bit hesitant and worried because to me the Ole Miss game was the worst loss we've had since CMA has been here. Even more so than that Bama game last year. I really hope we come out guns blazing.

Danny J

Quote from: rusvegashog on January 19, 2015, 05:03:29 pm
I've just honestly only seen highlights and final scores and it seems that he has had his kids on point. I don't know what's happened w Bama this week, but just a week ago I had the thought that they as of then might be the second best team in the league. Ill trust y'all have seen and know more than I. Having said that I'm just a bit hesitant and worried because to me the Ole Miss game was the worst loss we've had since CMA has been here. Even more so than that Bama game last year. I really hope we come out guns blazing.
the difference between last year was Bama had a upperclassman experienced PG that hammered us. Releford is gone. They are very good defensively but the teams that cause us the problems especially at home are teams with good ball handling guards who are also junior or seniors. Guys who don't panic. We will cause all kinds of issues for Bama.

rusvegashog

Having Said all that I thought that USC had maybe the best out of conference wins of anybody not named Kentucky. And they've been average since league play. So who knows its a long season, but we've looked really poor the last two.

rusvegashog

From what I've heard you're right about us defending good pg play. It has been along w going against the zone our two bugaboos. It'll be interesting to see how Beard, Babb, and Durham develop. We need them to fast track it. Personally I think our problem lies in the fact that we don't have a defensive enforcer or a second three point threat like what Hannah's would be. JMHO

Danny J

Quote from: rusvegashog on January 19, 2015, 05:18:31 pm
From what I've heard you're right about us defending good pg play. It has been along w going against the zone our two bugaboos. It'll be interesting to see how Beard, Babb, and Durham develop. We need them to fast track it. Personally I think our problem lies in the fact that we don't have a defensive enforcer or a second three point threat like what Hannah's would be. JMHO
Yep.....