Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

It's about Recruiting

Started by Wooderson, January 19, 2015, 02:05:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Wooderson

This is not a bash Coach Anderson post.  I am firmly in his corner and want him to succeed.  Our best teams have always had 2-3 blue chip players at a minimum.  This current team has 1.  Bobby Portis is our only player that would start on 98% of the teams in college bball.

My question is how was Eddie and Nolan able to get multiple great recruits on our team, while the three coaches since have struggled to do that? 

We can debate scheme and coaching until we are blue in the face, but the fact remains if we have one class that signs two/three McDonalds AA's we will be back no matter the coach.  We can't be a nationally relevant team by signing a top 15 player once every four years because they are from Arkansas.

I know we have had some classes ranked high, but that tends to happen when we have a high number of mid level recruits.

Is it going to take someone on staff who is willing to bend/break rules to get the best here at Arkansas?
Give me liberty, or give me death!

outlawhogeywells

Each had a great recruiter on staff.
Plus Eddie was able to really capitalize on the tripletts (all in state kids) to get the ball rolling.  He then expanded out from there.  And he always had great guards.
Nolan did the same he Huery was the first big recruit he had then he got his triplets.  They were not in state kids, but Tulsa, Memphis and the DFW area for his. 
Mike needs a great recruiter on staff and he has to get great guards.

Großer Kriegschwein

Eddie was so good at recruiting that Kentucky almost got the death penalty. That's some talent.
This is my non-signature signature.

Danny J

We have a blue chip guy coming next year but only problem is that Bobby will likely will be gone. Mike has to find a way to convince Bobby to stay. Bobby staying another year could really lay a solid foundation that really allows us to take off.

Paul

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on January 19, 2015, 03:53:16 pm
Eddie was so good at recruiting that Kentucky almost got the death penalty. That's some talent.
You mean:  Cleveland State!

3kgthog

In fairness to Stan Heath, he signed some pretty highly rated players. He just couldn't coach.

As for Portis staying, his lack of physicality, ball handling ability, and defense may ensure that he's here another year. I love his finesse offensive game, though!

Quote from: 3kgthog on January 19, 2015, 04:41:13 pm
In fairness to Stan Heath, he signed some pretty highly rated players. He just couldn't coach.

As for Portis staying, his lack of physicality, ball handling ability, and defense may ensure that he's here another year. I love his finesse offensive game, though!
The NBA drafts for potential, not for the game they already have.  Another year in college won't do a lot for Portis I don't believe. 

Danny J

Quote from: Karma on January 19, 2015, 04:44:14 pm
The NBA drafts for potential, not for the game they already have.  Another year in college won't do a lot for Portis I don't believe.
I agree....he is a stretch 4 that already shoots well from 10ft and out. He is also a good FT shooter for a big. Mike is going to have quite a task ahead of him trying to talk him into staying. The only real selling point will be the point I made earlier about laying a foundation for the future. He really needs to play on his love for the UofA.

Atlhogfan1

Gene Keady, Pat Foster, Andy Stoglin, Scott Edgar helped.

Arkansas producing the Triplets.

Junior Colleges:  Eddie and Nolan got a lot of good players from JCs-Walker, Robertson, Beck, Stewart, Pargo, Tony Allen for Sutton at OSU, Pressey for Nolan at TU are just a few examples. 

Lee being extended family. 

Have the UA's JC restrictions made it harder?

UAB didn't have the same restrictions.

Timing was right for Coach A at Mizzou with his nephew(transfer), Bowers, Presseys.

Watkins' relationship with Whitt played a big role for Arkansas. 

I think the question is still out there in how will the staff get it done recruiting at Arkansas.  The state will provide help especially if they can keep it home. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Danny J on January 19, 2015, 04:52:39 pm
I agree....he is a stretch 4 that already shoots well from 10ft and out. He is also a good FT shooter for a big. Mike is going to have quite a task ahead of him trying to talk him into staying. The only real selling point will be the point I made earlier about laying a foundation for the future. He really needs to play on his love for the UofA.

You really think that is right thing for a coach to do?
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Danny J

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 19, 2015, 05:00:17 pm
You really think that is right thing for a coach to do?
Yes.....most definitely. Coach has to do what is best for the player and the program at the same time. The only downside is injury but that could happen at any time whether he is here playing or during workouts before the draft. It will also help Portis in regards to how he is viewed in the state especially after he retires. People will not forget a sacrifice like that. I know I won't.

outlawhogeywells

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on January 19, 2015, 03:53:16 pm
You can't argue with the talent he had.  The thing he always had was very good guards. 

intelligence

some people talk way too much

swinesation

I agree. Mike's recruiting has been very unimpressive up to this point. We've actually gone backwards in recruiting.

Wooderson

I personally don't think it has gone backward from Heath or Pelphrey.  I think it has stayed the same.  A couple three stars and a couple four stars every class.  We need a class with a couple four stars and two top thirty players.  That would be nice.
Give me liberty, or give me death!

rude1

Unfortunately when CMA was hired I had my concerns about his ability to recruit, he hasn't did anything to put my fears to rest. You can't build a team by having a four player recruiting class and only one is giving you much of anything. Too many reaches and looking for diamonds in the rough isn't a way to build and sustain success. You need talented players replacing talented players to build and sustain success, not saying you have to have the cream of the crop but you need to land more guys from inside that top 50 range to build on.

Kevin

If it is all about recruitment my then we are in big trouble
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Wooderson on January 19, 2015, 10:10:37 pm
I personally don't think it has gone backward from Heath or Pelphrey.  I think it has stayed the same.  A couple three stars and a couple four stars every class.  We need a class with a couple four stars and two top thirty players.  That would be nice.

There are 2 stars on this roster. I'm not mentioning names bcuz some might call it bashing but CMA has brought in 2 star players through recruiting and transfer/JUCO players.

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: Danny J on January 19, 2015, 05:03:43 pm
Yes.....most definitely. Coach has to do what is best for the player and the program at the same time. The only downside is injury but that could happen at any time whether he is here playing or during workouts before the draft. It will also help Portis in regards to how he is viewed in the state especially after he retires. People will not forget a sacrifice like that. I know I won't.
This is just selfish.  You even admit that it would not be best for him to go the NBA after this year. "People will not forget a sacrifice like that." 

If he is a lottery pick (which he may very well be) then you go, unless your goal is to get a degree first for whatever reason.  It would be EXTREMELY unethical for MA to try and talk him out of going if he's a high pick.

Yes, the biggest risk is an injury, and that's a HUGE risk that may not affect his NBA career at all, but it could still cost him millions and millions of dollars in his draft status.  If his goal is to play on the next level, and he is projected to go where we expect him to be, then he should go.  Period.           
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

bigred223

Qualls is a big time player. He would start for anyone in our conference besides Kentucky without question.

hawgtime

Quote from: swinesation on January 19, 2015, 09:06:57 pm
I agree. Mike's recruiting has been very unimpressive up to this point. We've actually gone backwards in recruiting.

You are right.

hawgtime

Quote from: rude1 on January 19, 2015, 11:05:51 pm
Unfortunately when CMA was hired I had my concerns about his ability to recruit, he hasn't did anything to put my fears to rest. You can't build a team by having a four player recruiting class and only one is giving you much of anything. Too many reaches and looking for diamonds in the rough isn't a way to build and sustain success. You need talented players replacing talented players to build and sustain success, not saying you have to have the cream of the crop but you need to land more guys from inside that top 50 range to build on.

I really, really like Mike and his style but he doesn't produce the players needed to win. Where are the shooters?  we have some quick and long guys but when do they go to the rim?  when is the last time you saw them getting steals and running the fast break consistently 7-8 times per game. 

that used to be our bread and butter. when was the last guy that you saw that could consistently come in (or start for that matter) and be counted on to hit the three?  Nolan's teams wouldn't have just one guy. they had 3-4 guys that would rotate that spot. you knew that one (sometimes a couple of them) would be hot and put in 20 points on any given night.  where are OUR shooters? 

the only thing that i have seen with Mike is that we are shooting better at the line over the past year or so.

we need to get some shooters.
we need to take it to the hole.
we need to pass the ball quicker to find the open shots (not just at the arc)
we need to put on the pressure and increase our steals
and then when we steal pass it up the court and get the breaks going. 

one DUNK last game? help me out, how many dunks, that counted, did we get?

GO HOGS!

mizzouman

CMA had his struggles recruiting at Mizzou and they have been well documented.  His best team was led by a guard that committed to him while at UAB, another guard that Watkins found who was basically homeless and his nephew.  Others on the team were kids from Missouri that were going there no matter who the coach was.

He could not secure the services of a couple of highly regarded players in MO and in the country. 

The_Iceman

TNhawgfan

If bobby's family needs the money then he needs to go. I don't begrudge philon one bit for going and i won't portis. Wanting him to stay so that maybe we might get back to the tourney again is selfish
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

Cresthog

If we land Kapita there's really nothing you can say about this class. Although last year's could have been better. Would have liked someone taller and more athletic than Durham.

He really really needs to land Monk. Simply for the sake of the program's interest level.

bigred223

Whitt is a baller, no reason to not be excited there. Hopefully we land Kapita as well.

The_Iceman

I guess you can count Dusty Hannahs as a 2015 recruit. Almost like a JUCO signee, but with Big 12 experience. His shooting ability will be a nice addition.

Last years class is definitely headlined by Beard and Babb. Babb was a steal because he was around 6'2"-6'3" when we recruited him, and he shot up to a solid 6'5" by the time he arrived on campus. He is beaming with potential. I didn't expect much offensively from Durham, but he is doing a decent job running the point. He should be backing up Beard by next year tho, which isn't a bad 1-2 punch at the PG spot.

Thompson was a 2 year project and everyone knew that. Hopefully he'll start showing some glimpses next year, and then really come on his junior year. Keaton Miles has been hampered by injuries and playing behind Harris and Williams. I think he'll be more productive next year.

swinesation

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 20, 2015, 08:49:49 am
I guess you can count Dusty Hannahs as a 2015 recruit. Almost like a JUCO signee, but with Big 12 experience. His shooting ability will be a nice addition.

Last years class is definitely headlined by Beard and Babb. Babb was a steal because he was around 6'2"-6'3" when we recruited him, and he shot up to a solid 6'5" by the time he arrived on campus. He is beaming with potential. I didn't expect much offensively from Durham, but he is doing a decent job running the point. He should be backing up Beard by next year tho, which isn't a bad 1-2 punch at the PG spot.

Thompson was a 2 year project and everyone knew that. Hopefully he'll start showing some glimpses next year, and then really come on his junior year. Keaton Miles has been hampered by injuries and playing behind Harris and Williams. I think he'll be more productive next year.

These guys make a pretty good supporting cast, but they're not the kind of players to take a team to a solid Top 15 team that makes a run in the tournament. Other than Portis, who was all hog, Whitt will be Mike's biggest signing (IMO, Beard & Kingsley were both overrated. They're solid but not game changers).

If Mike manages to get Kapita, which I highly doubt, he will put to rest many of our doubts about his ability to recruit. Every year, we come close with big names. Coming close doesn't get it.

nwahogfan1

Coaching definitely comes into play  but lots of very good coaches out there.  I don't put MA as a top 35 coach so he better recruit.  He is unorthodox in style but it can be effective when he has those long armed athletic 6'5 types who can score the bb. 

But with out recruiting the right players to fit his style he will  be run out of town very soon.  He really needs to get some back to back good recruiting classes with his type of players.

MikePiazza

Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

Athog

Quote from: Danny J on January 19, 2015, 04:12:43 pm
We have a blue chip guy coming next year but only problem is that Bobby will likely will be gone. Mike has to find a way to convince Bobby to stay. Bobby staying another year could really lay a solid foundation that really allows us to take off.

Totally unrealistic. If Bobby is a lottery pick or even close why should he stay??
I do agree we need a great recruiter on staff quickly.

The_Iceman

Quote from: swinesation on January 20, 2015, 10:42:51 am
These guys make a pretty good supporting cast, but they're not the kind of players to take a team to a solid Top 15 team that makes a run in the tournament. Other than Portis, who was all hog, Whitt will be Mike's biggest signing (IMO, Beard & Kingsley were both overrated. They're solid but not game changers).

If Mike manages to get Kapita, which I highly doubt, he will put to rest many of our doubts about his ability to recruit. Every year, we come close with big names. Coming close doesn't get it.

Beard and Kingsley were 4-star players, not 5-star all-americans...that usually translate to a solid player. I expect both to take big steps forward next year as their minutes and opportunities increase, similar to Madden after BJ left. Then we will see if they are "game changers" or not.

Kapita is down to Arkansas, Mizzou, and Memphis. I'm not sure why you "highly doubt" Mike can land him.

The_Iceman

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: swinesation on January 20, 2015, 10:42:51 am

Kingsley chose a program for guards and athletic forwards/wings.  He was a top 40ish recruit and top 5 center.  Beard was closer to 90-100.  But he fits in better already. 

Be skeptical of some of the Hogville evals on recruits and transfers.  Google Durham, Miles, Williams and a few others and read some of the projections. 

The_Iceman

Quote from: Cresthog on January 20, 2015, 12:08:54 pm
Grades an issue?

No idea. He is only about 6'5", without much of a jump shot.

Hawg Red

The problem is the assistant coaching staff. Ever notice how the successful programs have coaches that are always moving on to get head coaching jobs? Yeah, well, obviously we don't see that at Arkansas. What's Mike Anderson's coaching tree look like? Anderson has had the exact same assistants for how long? That's very telling. And don't tell me Zimmerman or Cleveland wouldn't want to be head coaches. I can buy that Watkins is comfortable being a right-hand man since he's already had his shot at head coaching at two D1 schools. If other programs aren't interested in these assistants, how can we expect top recruits to be? And the assistants are the ones doing the major recruiting, mind you. This is why I've been saying for the longest that we need to go out and get an ace recruiter or someone who at least has that potential. Someone with strong AAU or prep ties. It's just what is necessary right now. Everyone around us is doing it in the SEC. And we're still better or at least as good as those programs (talking LSU, A&M, Missouri), so just imagine the difference better talent would make.

Anderson is too loyal in this regard. He needs a shakeup of sorts and I hope Long forces it in the offseason if we disappoint in the postseason department.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 20, 2015, 01:40:44 pm
The problem is the assistant coaching staff. Ever notice how the successful programs have coaches that are always moving on to get head coaching jobs? Yeah, well, obviously we don't see that at Arkansas. What's Mike Anderson's coaching tree look like? Anderson has had the exact same assistants for how long? That's very telling. And don't tell me Zimmerman or Cleveland wouldn't want to be head coaches. I can buy that Watkins is comfortable being a right-hand man since he's already had his shot at head coaching at two D1 schools. If other programs aren't interested in these assistants, how can we expect top recruits to be? And the assistants are the ones doing the major recruiting, mind you. This is why I've been saying for the longest that we need to go out and get an ace recruiter or someone who at least has that potential. Someone with strong AAU or prep ties. It's just what is necessary right now. Everyone around us is doing it in the SEC. And we're still better or at least as good as those programs (talking LSU, A&M, Missouri), so just imagine the difference better talent would make.

Anderson is too loyal in this regard. He needs a shakeup of sorts and I hope Long forces it in the offseason if we disappoint in the postseason department.
I'm slowly but surely beginning to realize this is what needs to happen. I believe the OU AD finally gave Stoops the official word that it was time for a shake up and he got rid of at least Josh Heupel or w/e.

We do truly need Long to do the same. Though, the extension probably would have him hamstrung a little.

MikePiazza

Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

Like it is

I agree a lot with what Danny J is saying ! Portis another year , then landing Monk then next????? That'll save our program ... If not , well....., I don't even wanna think about it

hogfan10

Quote from: bigred223 on January 20, 2015, 07:14:07 am
Qualls is a big time player. He would start for anyone in our conference besides Kentucky without question.

LSU?

Sharky

Quote from: Danny J on January 19, 2015, 04:52:39 pm

Any coach with half a heart, and Anderson has one, would tell Portis to go and wish him well. Portis might only get once chance at the draft. He should take it, and putting players in the NBA makes coaches look good. Portis will make a roster. The minimum salary in the NBA is a half-million dollars, but he'd probably contract at over a million dollars per season. Do you REALLY, HONESTLY think Portis has any benefit to gambling a million dollars on another year at Arkansas--for what? For a degree he doesn't need? For the fans?

Saying Portis should stay is just crazy talk, and it's absurdly selfish. A million dollars is more than many people make in a lifetime, and you're saying he should forgo that for some potential Arkansas glory. Nonsense. There is only one appropriate response: Go, Bobby Portis, go! Thank you for all you did for Arkansas!

Danny J

Quote from: Athog on January 20, 2015, 11:45:10 am
Totally unrealistic. If Bobby is a lottery pick or even close why should he stay??
I do agree we need a great recruiter on staff quickly.
I understand it is very unrealistic but it needs to happen and stranger things have indeed happened.

Danny J

Quote from: Sharky on January 20, 2015, 09:22:05 pm
Any coach with half a heart, and Anderson has one, would tell Portis to go and wish him well. Portis might only get once chance at the draft. He should take it, and putting players in the NBA makes coaches look good. Portis will make a roster. The minimum salary in the NBA is a half-million dollars, but he'd probably contract at over a million dollars per season. Do you REALLY, HONESTLY think Portis has any benefit to gambling a million dollars on another year at Arkansas--for what? For a degree he doesn't need? For the fans?

Saying Portis should stay is just crazy talk, and it's absurdly selfish. A million dollars is more than many people make in a lifetime, and you're saying he should forgo that for some potential Arkansas glory. Nonsense. There is only one appropriate response: Go, Bobby Portis, go! Thank you for all you did for Arkansas!
I agree it is selfish no question. That is why I mentioned I would forever remember that type of sacrifice. That is what it would be if he were to get injured.

lefty08

You guys are talking about recruiting game changers

Problem is there aren't a ton of them every year, and typically, they only play 1 season. A game changer here and there doesn't help much unless you can do that every year, and Arkansas cant
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

jm

Quote from: Wooderson on January 19, 2015, 02:05:02 pm
This is not a bash Coach Anderson post.  I am firmly in his corner and want him to succeed.  Our best teams have always had 2-3 blue chip players at a minimum.  This current team has 1.  Bobby Portis is our only player that would start on 98% of the teams in college bball.

My question is how was Eddie and Nolan able to get multiple great recruits on our team, while the three coaches since have struggled to do that? 

We can debate scheme and coaching until we are blue in the face, but the fact remains if we have one class that signs two/three McDonalds AA's we will be back no matter the coach.  We can't be a nationally relevant team by signing a top 15 player once every four years because they are from Arkansas.

I know we have had some classes ranked high, but that tends to happen when we have a high number of mid level recruits.

Is it going to take someone on staff who is willing to bend/break rules to get the best here at Arkansas?

Charisma.

Hawg Red

Quote from: lefty08 on January 21, 2015, 06:53:19 am
You guys are talking about recruiting game changers

Problem is there aren't a ton of them every year, and typically, they only play 1 season. A game changer here and there doesn't help much unless you can do that every year, and Arkansas cant

Arkansas can't because the staff is subpar at recruiting. Refer back to my post about Mike Anderson's lack of a coaching tree. Our assistants, who do the bulk of the recruiting, just aren't desirable. I think a lot more highly recruits would love to come to Arkansas (especially once the practice facility is completed) but I just don't think our assistants are good enough to get legitimate interest from them.

Biggus Piggus

That is part of the Nolan system. It requires assistant coaches who are willing to forget everything they ever learned about basketball. Hiring replacements would be kinda difficult. And it's pretty hard to find a staff of major-college assistants any worse.
[CENSORED]!

rhinohog84

If I had to pick between talent and bball IQ, I'd take IQ. We have some lack of this on our team.