Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Team Chemistry and Attitude Problems

Started by bigdaddyhawg, January 18, 2015, 11:31:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Letsroll1200

Quote from: rude1 on January 18, 2015, 03:33:25 pm
^^This X Infinity......I am still trying to figure out what we are trying to accomplish defensively by asking our bigs to ball screen switch 25' from the basket and attempt to guard a smaller quicker player? This is just bad fundamental basketball that teams are going to exploit over and over by having that guard beat the bigger player off the dribble or simply have him heave up a shot then destroy us on the offensive glass with their big matched with a guard. I have scratched my head on this one from the beginning with CMA.

I'm a big supporter of MA because he is a proven winner. I don't understand why our big guys are leading the press. Sometimes our big guys are match up with guards and I don't know if that's the best option for the backs. I believe we have to adjust and play some tough half court defense. We are given up too many lay ups and dunks.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on January 18, 2015, 03:46:59 pm
So Madden has a right to be upset about how the HC calls substitutions for the team??

I think you, like Madden, are confused about the responsibilities of the HC and those of a player.

So who gives a rat's backend if he's upset??  No one should.

But regardless, you don't show up your coach like that -- EVER!!

Unless you put yourself above the team.

You have to manage your players and know your players. Madden is a very emotional player and sometimes he is going to show it. He didn't come out the game and say something to the coach. He was upset no harm no foul. I would call him to the office and speak with him about his body language.

porkinsons disease

^^This X Infinity......I am still trying to figure out what we are trying to accomplish defensively by asking our bigs to ball screen switch 25' from the basket and attempt to guard a smaller quicker player? This is just bad fundamental basketball that teams are going to exploit over and over by having that guard beat the bigger player off the dribble or simply have him heave up a shot then destroy us on the offensive glass with their big matched with a guard. I have scratched my head on this one from the beginning with CMA.
It's a lazy way to play defense. I have screamed about it for a long time, but was called a "hater" and told that Mike would do it his way. Obviously, his way is modeled after the Washington Generals defense although we reach and slap a bit more.
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

hawgfan4life

We have a soft team top to bottom.  Portis is an incredible player as an offensive threat but is incredibly weak without ball in his hands.  Players shoot over him all the time.  Qualls is weak on defense too often.  Nobody blocks out with attitude and fights for garbage.  Bell is soft.  Etc......  Harris actually demonstrates toughness but has other liabilities in most games most of which is a lack of athletic ability for his height and position.  Beard demonstrates grit but is too young I guess.  Madden is competitive but is poor decision maker.  Has the knack for the worst decision at critical times in a game.  Confounds that with great plays occasionally during pivotal times that makes you think he will do good. 

Until they get tougher, they will lose games they aren't shooting well.

rude1

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 18, 2015, 03:59:22 pm
I'm a big supporter of MA because he is a proven winner. I don't understand why our big guys are leading the press. Sometimes our big guys are match up with guards and I don't know if that's the best option for the backs. I believe we have to adjust and play some tough half court defense. We are given up too many lay ups and dunks.
I have no idea either on that putting the bigs on the front of the press, he certainly didn't learn that from Nolan who always left his big at the back for rim protection.

CMA has the philosophy of switching all ball screens, unfortunately he exttends that to his bigs who end up out of position because teams know this and take their bigs out 25' to set ball screens and predictably we switch it and give them the mismatch they want. There is nothing gained from us doing this yet we continue, that is on the head coach.

hellwonthaveme

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on January 18, 2015, 03:56:00 pm
I think you make an excellent point.

There's so much malarkey I've seen recently, and all I can think is "Wow, you'd never see Nolan putting up with that bull."

And I think that's important.  I'm not seeing that Nolan toughness or his demanding the team to be great.

You won't see it from Mike either. Nolan was the enforcer when he coached here and Mike was the guy who went over and loved the player back. Mike doesn't have an enforcer  and to me that is a big problem on this team. No skull cracker.

PRJ

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 18, 2015, 04:04:10 pm
You have to manage your players and know your players. Madden is a very emotional player and sometimes he is going to show it. He didn't come out the game and say something to the coach. He was upset no harm no foul. I would call him to the office and speak with him about his body language.

More excusing inexcusable behavior.

While Madden may be emotional, the guy is a senior, not some immature underclassman.

This team needed positive, mature, solid leadership from Madden, and he's throwing fits??

There's something beyond just trees to be seen.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Danny J

This ^^^^^ is exactly why we lost.

Danny J

Quote from: rude1 on January 18, 2015, 04:33:10 pm
I have no idea either on that putting the bigs on the front of the press, he certainly didn't learn that from Nolan who always left his big at the back for rim protection.

CMA has the philosophy of switching all ball screens, unfortunately he exttends that to his bigs who end up out of position because teams know this and take their bigs out 25' to set ball screens and predictably we switch it and give them the mismatch they want. There is nothing gained from us doing this yet we continue, that is on the head coach.
Correct.....it is 100% on the coach. I would love our media to gain some testicles and actually start asking these questions. Again....if you guys in the media need a list of pertinent questions to ask in the press conference just sent me a PM and I will gladly provide them for you.

Foshodo

assistants suck... team is talented enough

same on court problems every year but this is never addressed...

bigs arent taught properly

guards arent taught properly

blah blah blah, i'm so bored...

Hoggish1

hogfan10

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on January 18, 2015, 02:54:55 pm
Your stats are misleading.

When you have Portis and Qualls to pass to you SHOULD lead the league in assists.

Madden doesn't instigate offense, he stymies it with constant pounding the ball and making passes that don't lead to anything.

His penetration skills are dismal, usually leading to a dumb turnover.

If you understood how a PG is supposed to aid in the flow of an offense you wouldn't be defending him.

But I blame Mike for using him at the point, because Madden doesn't help the team there.

He's got one skill that Mike should be using more efficiently: he's a very good catch and shoot long range bomber.  Mike could use him to break a zone by putting him in open areas and having him stay there, waiting patiently for a real PG to penetrate and kick the ball to him.

But I don't believe for a second that Madden woulds settle for that role.  He sees himself as a poor man's Lebron, a scorer and center piece of the offense.

And therein lies a big part of the problem.

If Madden played for OM he'd be the last guy off the bench.

His passes must lead to something, or else, you know, he wouldn't be one of the conference leaders in assists.

songofthesword

This isn't a video game lol. Team Cheimstry isn't something you just push a button and get.  some dudes are just knuckleheads and they will always be knuckleheads and there is nothing you can do about it.

Kevin

Team chemistry & attitude problems have festered since the Heath era
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: hogfan10 on January 18, 2015, 08:23:52 pm
His passes must lead to something, or else, you know, he wouldn't be one of the conference leaders in assists.

Pay closer attention to the actual games.

And the first two lines of the post you quoted.

Also, I'm sure he's among the worst in the league among starting PG's in assist to to ratio.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: songofthesword on January 18, 2015, 08:30:06 pm
This isn't a video game lol. Team Cheimstry isn't something you just push a button and get.  some dudes are just knuckleheads and they will always be knuckleheads and there is nothing you can do about it.

They absolutely are actions that can be taken.  The're not always easy solutions though.

In our situation the actions required would be fairly drastic, hence my "rock and a hard place" description Mike finds himself.

So I believe he's chosen a path and is hoping for the best.

But many great coaches have chosen that tough course of action and been rewarded for it.  So there are surely options.

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on January 18, 2015, 09:39:22 pm
They absolutely are actions that can be taken.  The're not always easy solutions though.

In our situation the actions required would be fairly drastic, hence my "rock and a hard place" description Mike finds himself.

So I believe he's chosen a path and is hoping for the best.

But many great coaches have chosen that tough course of action and been rewarded for it.  So there are surely options.
And many have not, i.e. John Pelphrey.  Of course, it's a much bigger problem when it's a Team Captain we're talking about, both for the coach and the team.  If your Senior leadership is a cancer in the locker room, you've got major problems.  This would explain a lot about what's happened this year, especially the way we played for all but the last 5 minutes at Tennessee.

Can I ask what your affiliation with the program is? 
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

bigdaddyhawg

January 18, 2015, 10:26:44 pm #67 Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 10:38:53 pm by bigdaddyhawg
Quote from: Poppa Tart on January 18, 2015, 09:59:43 pm
And many have not, i.e. John Pelphrey.  Of course, it's a much bigger problem when it's a Team Captain we're talking about, both for the coach and the team.  If your Senior leadership is a cancer in the locker room, you've got major problems.  This would explain a lot about what's happened this year, especially the way we played for all but the last 5 minutes at Tennessee. 

Yep, though I don't think the term "cancer" applies.  That's different from too much "me".

Quote from: Poppa Tart on January 18, 2015, 09:59:43 pm
Can I ask what your affiliation with the program is? 

Just a fan that has the willingness to see the truth.

Sanctified Swine

I saw the play in question as well. Madden had just made some really good plays, the crowd was getting loud and I  believe that we had just made a push to get the game to 7 and had the ball (due to Madden saving the ball with great hustle). He then gets pulled. I was wondering at the time...why pull him? He was getting the team fired up... mark that moment in the game...because we collapsed after that.

NorthDallas40

That was perplexing to say the least. Just further proof that there is little rhyme or reason to the sub patterns.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Sanctified Swine on January 19, 2015, 11:23:57 am
I saw the play in question as well. Madden had just made some really good plays, the crowd was getting loud and I  believe that we had just made a push to get the game to 7 and had the ball (due to Madden saving the ball with great hustle). He then gets pulled. I was wondering at the time...why pull him? He was getting the team fired up... mark that moment in the game...because we collapsed after that.

He went in about 30 seconds later.  Are you saying the entire rest of that game depended on him being on the bench for that 30 seconds?

At any rate, what you're doing is justifying him showing his coach up by acting like a child.

sadhogfan

Quote from: Breems on January 18, 2015, 02:59:54 pm
It was directly after Madden had made a few consecutive hustle plays and was checked out right when the crowd was getting into it. I bet that's why.

THIS. In a game where we were struggling with passion and effort at times, Madden was pulled immediately after showing a lot of it. I'm sure it was frustrating.

beachhog

January 19, 2015, 06:53:56 pm #72 Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 11:00:04 pm by beachhog
I reviewed the Madden benching part- he was upset and then he turned and yelled "I'm Good",  we turned the ball over on the next possession, go figure.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: sadhogfan on January 19, 2015, 02:44:54 pm
THIS. In a game where we were struggling with passion and effort at times, Madden was pulled immediately after showing a lot of it. I'm sure it was frustrating.

Maybe it's just me, but I think a senior captain would play like this all the time, not in brief flashes.

The fact that stood out to you says volumes about his play up to that point.

hogfan10

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on January 19, 2015, 12:02:27 pm
He went in about 30 seconds later.  Are you saying the entire rest of that game depended on him being on the bench for that 30 seconds?

At any rate, what you're doing is justifying him showing his coach up by acting like a child.

What was the point of sitting him for 30 seconds?

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: hogfan10 on January 20, 2015, 08:42:44 am
What was the point of sitting him for 30 seconds?

You're asking me to mind read our coach?

Ask FCJ -- he's in constant mind link with Mike.

sadhogfan

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on January 19, 2015, 08:58:15 pm
Maybe it's just me, but I think a senior captain would play like this all the time, not in brief flashes.

The fact that stood out to you says volumes about his play up to that point.

You sound like you have an axe to grind.

NO ONE dives on the floor every play. There are always times of flat-out maximal effort which stand out. That's what I was referring to.

I actually think Madden plays hard all the time, without playing effectively all the time. On defense he sometimes gets beat or lost, but I don't see it as being due to a lack of hustle (lack of athleticism, defensive fundamentals, maybe).

On the other hand, I think Qualls is more up and down when it comes to effort. I think at times he plays at an extremely high effort level, and at other times he takes plays off. Maybe that is necessary when you are asked to play this style for 35 minutes (I think he played about that much against Ole Miss).

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: sadhogfan on January 20, 2015, 10:51:19 am
You sound like you have an axe to grind.

NO ONE dives on the floor every play. There are always times of flat-out maximal effort which stand out. That's what I was referring to.

I actually think Madden plays hard all the time, without playing effectively all the time. On defense he sometimes gets beat or lost, but I don't see it as being due to a lack of hustle (lack of athleticism, defensive fundamentals, maybe).

On the other hand, I think Qualls is more up and down when it comes to effort. I think at times he plays at an extremely high effort level, and at other times he takes plays off. Maybe that is necessary when you are asked to play this style for 35 minutes (I think he played about that much against Ole Miss).

I was making a point with him that I think is valid.

But I was doing that more about him justifying Ky's childish behavior.

And I guess you could say I have an axe to grind re: Madden.  I don't think he's got a team attitude and I think we're a better team most of the time when he's on the bench.

Now, that last part I'll admit really goes to how Mike is playing Ky, so I can't put that on Ky.

I think he's a decent defender, not great or anything.  I think he's the team's best and most consistent deep range shooter, but Mike doesn't use him in that way.

I think Ky is one of the most horrible drivers of the basketball I've seen, and in that mode he's a turnover machine.  Part of that goes on Mike for playing him so much at the point, but the biggest part of that goes on Ky because his perception of reality is out of whack.

I said this somewhere recently, I think Ky sees himself as a Lebron lite -- a guy who can do it all, dominate a game, and be a star.  And he's not anywhere close to being all that.

If he could check his ego, surrender himself to the team completely, he could most definitely help this team win.  And if Mike would play him as the off-guard, and teach him how to find the open spaces in zones, Madden would be a very productive player and help us reach our potential.

So many ifs ...

bigdaddyhawg

I should probably add one other note: the OP was not focused just on Ky.

I've seen some other things that would indicate there are some other egos that Mike might be dealing with as well.

I know the thread went to a Madden focus, but that's not what it started out to be.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Sanctified Swine on January 19, 2015, 11:23:57 am

When I saw that they where coming out of the game I was vert concern. The team on the floor was finally making a push. We never really recovered after this substitution pattern. It was the best defense that Ole Miss played all night and it didn't come from their bench.

hogfan10

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on January 20, 2015, 11:19:41 am
I was making a point with him that I think is valid.

But I was doing that more about him justifying Ky's childish behavior.

And I guess you could say I have an axe to grind re: Madden.  I don't think he's got a team attitude and I think we're a better team most of the time when he's on the bench.

Now, that last part I'll admit really goes to how Mike is playing Ky, so I can't put that on Ky.

I think he's a decent defender, not great or anything.  I think he's the team's best and most consistent deep range shooter, but Mike doesn't use him in that way.

I think Ky is one of the most horrible drivers of the basketball I've seen, and in that mode he's a turnover machine.  Part of that goes on Mike for playing him so much at the point, but the biggest part of that goes on Ky because his perception of reality is out of whack.

I said this somewhere recently, I think Ky sees himself as a Lebron lite -- a guy who can do it all, dominate a game, and be a star.  And he's not anywhere close to being all that.

If he could check his ego, surrender himself to the team completely, he could most definitely help this team win.  And if Mike would play him as the off-guard, and teach him how to find the open spaces in zones, Madden would be a very productive player and help us reach our potential.

So many ifs ...

Man, I just don't see that. When I think of selfish basketball players, I think of someone who never sees a bad shot. KM turns down good shots all the time (too often in my opinion) to make the extra pass; the very definition of an unselfish basketball player. I also think he is our best penetrator/creator with the ball in his hands, but I do think he over penetrates often. The biggest reason for most of the criticism of KM has to do with his failures/non-heroics in late game situations. But again, I don't see that as being selfish (or wanting to be the hero), I see it as him trying to do what MA has asked him to do in that situation. And, the reason MA is asking him to do it is because he is one of, if not the only one, who can create a shot for himself.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: hogfan10 on January 20, 2015, 02:20:53 pm
Man, I just don't see that. When I think of selfish basketball players, I think of someone who never sees a bad shot.

That's one definition I guess, but someone who dominates the ball instead of moving it can also fit that bill as well.

Quote from: hogfan10 on January 20, 2015, 02:20:53 pm
And, the reason MA is asking him to do it is because he is one of, if not the only one, who can create a shot for himself.

Man, now I don't see it.

When he does try "to create a shot for himself", it is usually blocked back into his face.

Or he fumbles and stumbles into the lane and turns the ball over.

But I do agree with you, as I've said, that IMO a part of the problem with Ky is how Mike is using him, and I don't put that on him.

hogfan10

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on January 20, 2015, 02:37:23 pm
That's one definition I guess, but someone who dominates the ball instead of moving it can also fit that bill as well.

Man, now I don't see it.

When he does try "to create a shot for himself", it is usually blocked back into his face.

Or he fumbles and stumbles into the lane and turns the ball over.

But I do agree with you, as I've said, that IMO a part of the problem with Ky is how Mike is using him, and I don't put that on him.

I can agree with that. I guess my thing is I think he's trying to do what is asked of him, whether we agree with that role or not.
And with that said, I don't understand the constant bashing of him.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: hogfan10 on January 20, 2015, 02:46:29 pm
And with that said, I don't understand the constant bashing of him.

Ok, but I've tried to see it as it is.  His attitude is a problem.  With him being a senior it affects the team's attitude as a whole.

But I've also talked about his strengths, and, as I've said, I think Ky could be a very big part of us being the basketball team we believe it can be.

Critical, yes, but not bashing.  At least not IMO.

Kevin

attitudes & chemistry problems, have been in the program since heath. just seems like no coach will step up & stop it.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hogfan10

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on January 20, 2015, 03:24:09 pm
Ok, but I've tried to see it as it is.  His attitude is a problem.  With him being a senior it affects the team's attitude as a whole.

But I've also talked about his strengths, and, as I've said, I think Ky could be a very big part of us being the basketball team we believe it can be.

Critical, yes, but not bashing.  At least not IMO.

Wasn't necessarily referring to you, or you only. I don't see an attitude problem, I see a player that gets frustrated (for whatever reason), and yes I would prefer he temper it better, but I don't see it as being out of the ordinary for today's athlete (which includes many on this team as well as other teams).

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: hogfan10 on January 20, 2015, 04:27:50 pm
but I don't see it as being out of the ordinary for today's athlete (which includes many on this team as well as other teams).

That's for sure.  You just don't seem to see it as much on the teams that are doing the lion's share of the winning.

hogfan10

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on January 20, 2015, 04:30:49 pm
That's for sure.  You just don't seem to see it as much on the teams that are doing the lion's share of the winning.

Well, losing is frustrating!

bigdaddyhawg

I see a team of Guys that aren't afraid to play their game as they see it.  Want to play with hustle, in position, in the best place to help the Team, well, OK, I will.  But if I don't wish to do that, so what, I just won't. 

We have Guys sitting up on both ends where they prefer to play, not where the team needs them.

Bet if you took each Arkansas players stats and sized them up against the player whom they should be manning up on and then take away that players stats from our players stats, you might be surprised who isn't paying their dues.

These players, for the most part, are not afraid to give 100 percent about 10 percent of the time.  By games end, we are getting about 70 percent of what these players could offer in any game. Its nearly team wide in my opinion.  Unfortunately, some of the players willing to give nearly all they got don't have much to give while great talent wastes in many games.