Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bill Self of Kansas would have been our Basketball Coach

Started by Westcoasthog, January 17, 2015, 11:40:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Westcoasthog

Bill Self of Kansas would have been our Basketball Coachafter Nolan Richardson was fired.  But the MEDDLOR JOHN WHITE THE THEN CHANCELLOR TOLD FRANK BROYLES YOU HAVE TO HIRE A BLACK COACH SINCE THE FIASCO WITH NOLAN RICHARDSON.

HognitiveDissonance

Totally agree.
John White was essentially running the athletic dept in the last few years. Broyles was really handcuffed. We are still suffering.

WilsonHog

HOGINTENNESSEE

Sedatedhog

passinghog

Give it a rest. He's not the coach, will never be here either.

Hogfaniam

Fire up the DeLorean.  Call Doc and Marty.  Sounds like it's time for Back To The Future IV
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Rooster Hogburn

I wish we could've done something to salvage the Altman situation. We were so close.
To forgive is to set a pisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.-Lewis B. Smedes

HognitiveDissonance

True, ship sailed 12 years ago, but it should be brought up occasionally to remind people how much damage a bad administrator can do to an athletic program. It might be an AD, or in that case, a chancellor. The hiring/firing decisions these people make can be felt for years to come.

hogwild6700

Haha. After several years on Hogville-I have learned that nearly every coach out there wanted the Arkansas job (Football and Basketball) and apparently we were just too dumb to hire them.  ::)
Two little mice fell in a bucket of cream. The first mouse quickly gave up and drowned. The second mouse, wouldn't quit. He struggled so hard that eventually he churned that cream into butter and crawled out. Gentlemen, as of this moment, I am that second mouse.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Rooster Hogburn on January 18, 2015, 12:55:54 am
I wish we could've done something to salvage the Altman situation. We were so close.
yup because he has turned out great
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

hoglady

Quote from: hogwild6700 on January 18, 2015, 03:37:13 am
Haha. After several years on Hogville-I have learned that nearly every coach out there wanted the Arkansas job (Football and Basketball) and apparently we were just too dumb to hire them.  ::)

At that time Arkansas was one the premiere basketball programs in the country. This was truly an "A list" job.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

HogsBalls

Even if Self would have come who says he would of continued success. He wouldn't have gotten the recruits he has now that's for sure. I could go coach Kansas and be over .500 every year.

waphill

Quote from: HogsBalls on January 18, 2015, 07:10:19 am
Even if Self would have come who says he would of continued success. He wouldn't have gotten the recruits he has now that's for sure. I could go coach Kansas and be over .500 every year.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/coaches/bill-self-1.html

He recruited to Tulsa.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: HogsBalls on January 18, 2015, 07:10:19 am

Did you see the recruits Heath was getting here? We would have been like 5 years removed from an NC. Self would have been able to recruit and coach here.

The Boar War

I remember when people used a similar argument with Mike Anderson.

Adam Stokes

If only coach had put me in during the 4th quarter...

popcornhog

Quote from: Westcoasthog on January 17, 2015, 11:40:51 pm
     Bill Self of Kansas would have been our Basketball Coachafter Nolan Richardson was fired.  But the MEDDLOR JOHN WHITE THE THEN CHANCELLOR TOLD FRANK BROYLES YOU HAVE TO HIRE A BLACK COACH SINCE THE FIASCO WITH NOLAN RICHARDSON.

Sweet sKillZ BRO.
WPS

tusksincolorado

Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

tusksincolorado

They want the job.....just not the fans that go with the program.

pignparadise

January 18, 2015, 01:28:00 pm #20 Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 01:53:58 pm by pignparadise
While it doesn't really matter, Bill Self wanted the Arkansas job. I had supper with him in Cushing OK in May of 1997. He explained that Arkansas was his dream job but that Nolan would probably be there forever.
"The race is long.. and in the end it's only with yourself.....", Baz Luhrman "Sunscreen"

Danny J

Quote from: hoglady on January 18, 2015, 07:04:25 am
At that time Arkansas was one the premiere basketball programs in the country. This was truly an "A list" job.
If it was once(usually within last 20 years) it can be that way again. Once you show the ability to be able to get the fan support and financial support with a state that does produce some high D1 talent then that will attract coaches. We have 3 final fours in the last 25 years with a national title and runner-up trophy. It is all about timing when hiring coaches. The timing must be right.

Coondog Hog

And he probably would have went to Kansas when they called him at Bud Walton and we'd still be virtually where we are today
'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan
Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 08, 2011, 11:02:18 pm
I've had alot of things in and out of my butt, but never Monkeys..

rude1

LMAO, yeah and let's just ignore the fact that even if Bill Self had come, he was leaving the moment KU came a calling.

Atlhogfan1

2000 - end of the regular season the Hogs had no chance at the NCAAT.  If not for the SECT run, would Frank have been allowed to have fired Nolan?

Self had just taken TU to the E8.  That would have been the better time to have hired Self.  Yes, he may have only coached the Hogs for 3 seasons but the program would not have had the turmoil and turnover it did and when he left for KU, it would have likely been in a much better hiring position than Heath and then Pelphrey.  The job was even somewhat attractive before Altman got the look behind the scenes. 

If Self had been hired for the 2002-3 season, maybe he would have left for KU after only one season.  Or maybe he would have felt that after just one season at Arkansas the timing wouldn't have been right to leave so soon. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

pignparadise

Quote from: rude1 on January 18, 2015, 03:39:57 pm
LMAO, yeah and let's just ignore the fact that even if Bill Self had come, he was leaving the moment KU came a calling.
I don't know that. Arkansas was a destination job at the time. Bill is from Okmulgee OK and played at OSU. If he had been successful at Arkansas I doubt he would have left for Kansas.
"The race is long.. and in the end it's only with yourself.....", Baz Luhrman "Sunscreen"

rude1

Quote from: pignparadise on January 18, 2015, 04:02:02 pm
I don't know that. Arkansas was a destination job at the time. Bill is from Okmulgee OK and played at OSU. If he had been successful at Arkansas I doubt he would have left for Kansas.
Please stop kidding yourself, Arkansas is NOT and never will be a destination job over a program like KU. If KU came offering Self was excepting.

Sivad

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on January 17, 2015, 11:43:08 pm
Totally agree.
John White was essentially running the athletic dept in the last few years. Broyles was really handcuffed. We are still suffering.
A special place in Hog Hell reserved for John White.

pignparadise

Quote from: rude1 on January 18, 2015, 04:28:00 pm
Please stop kidding yourself, Arkansas is NOT and never will be a destination job over a program like KU. If KU came offering Self was excepting.
so if Kansas had come after Nolan, by your way of thinking he would have left. Not so fast

Knot2brite

The rumor I always heard was that Self was approached and blanched at the offer because of some reason and we went elsewhere....it may be BS but I don't know
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

pignparadise

In the 20 years before I talked to Self in 1997, both Kansas (86,88,91,93) and Arkansas (77,90,94,95) had been to 4 Final Fours and both had one championship (88 and 94) with Arkansas being the most recent. Don't confuse what has happened since.

The_Iceman

tusksincolorado

Another "crawl to Kentucky situation"?

HogMantheIntruder

Arkansas was still one of the best basketball programs in the country at that time.  This wasn't a destination job?  We were a few years removed from a national title and back to back trips to the championship game.  I don't think it's a given, or even likely, that a coach who was having the type of success we had become accustomed to, would be ACCEPTING another offer from any school.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

rude1

Quote from: pignparadise on January 18, 2015, 04:45:36 pm
so if Kansas had come after Nolan, by your way of thinking he would have left. Not so fast
Nolan isn't Bill Self, Nolan had his dream job, Self was an up and comer looking to end up at the best program he could. I have no doubts he would leave Arkansas to go to KU as he did Illinois.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Knot2brite on January 18, 2015, 04:49:10 pm
The rumor I always heard was that Self was approached and blanched at the offer because of some reason and we went elsewhere....it may be BS but I don't know
White was insisting that coaches come to campus and interview for the job.
Uh...higher profile coaches just don't do that, John.
Only guys with nothing to lose at their current employer(Heath: Kent St) can afford to do that and not lose face with their current team. Nobody of Bill Self's stature is ever going to do that. He already had a good job at Illinois. The AD has to work the back channels.
All indications were that Self was interested in the job, and was from the area. I personally feel we would have got him.
Tommy Boyer basically laid all this out years later. He didn't throw White under the bus but it wasn't hard to figure out what happened.

HogFoo

Self was coming.  JW screwed it up like he did lots of things with golden handcuffs. What a complete moron! 

And had Self came at the time I doubt he'd of left. Hogs were a destination job. And were the winningest team in college basketball at one point in the 90s.   It would have worked out well.  But. That's just not how it was meant to be.  It couldn't happen after nolan got fired.  I wish nolan could have just taken a break and then returned. After a season or two. He was burnt out. He didn't want to recruit anymore. When he finally did realize he needed to recruit it was too late.  That last class of nolan would have been pretty dang good.  Especially the kid that went to Arizona.  Him with sullinger. And then sullinger s younger brother who went to Ohio st. Wed of had th3m and would have gotten Greg Oden and Mike Conley jr. Wed of gotten all those guys that Mike Anderson had at UAB and at mizzery.   All th3 former players kids.  Anyways. That's a big can of worms of what ifs.

If we play what ifs. Imagine had we got Othello Harrington.   Or penny Hardaway like we all thought we were gonna get.  Imagine had Oliver miller not ate 50 lbs of food before every game.  Imagine had nolan not got mad at Ron mercer wanting to wait on his commitment and took Derek hood which made Ron mercer mad so he went with Kentucky.   Imagine had all the guys nolan signed for that 95 class that were supposed to be at the time the greatest college class of all time. Imagine if they had all qualified.   

Go further into it..  imagine passed the nolan years to heath.  What if osu famatimi had not tore his knee up before the McDonald's all American game.  Dudley used to talk about being at the game where Olu put up 37 points on LeBron James  guarding h8m and he was the best on the floor. Until he tore his knee. He never was the same.  Imagine had AL Jefferson came to Arkansas.   We had the #1 recruiting class counting him.  Stan heath would still be the coach here and we'd all be bored to death with big10 ball. 

Imagine had Patrick Beverly come back to school the summer he left in John pelfrey era. That team would have been pretty damn good too.  Pelfrey would probably still be th3 coach.

We can go back to a lot of what ifs over the years. They all suck.  I mean what if corliss and Scott stayed one more year or if k.reid was eligible his first year.  We'd probably beat ucla for back to back NCs and then played for our 3rd in a row. 

But now it's the present.   Hopefully we've had so much negative in the past that it's about to turn positive.   Ole miss was a good team.  Tenner was average.  Clemson bad. Iowa st. Pretty good.    We have a decent team. I th8nk the hogs will still make the tournament.   I don't th8nk that too many teams will shoot like ole miss did the rest of the year  with exception to UK.  They may beat us by 40+  especially if they play zone defense.   :(  other than that we should be able to compete with everyone else. Hopefully we will.  I'm hoping mike gets this thing fixed. I want him to win. I do not want to hire another coach because that will only set us back another 3or4yrs. Mike can do it. ..... hopefully. .
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

Hog1952

Quote from: pignparadise on January 18, 2015, 01:28:00 pm
While it doesn't really matter, Bill Self wanted the Arkansas job. I had supper with him in Cushing OK in May of 1997. He explained that Arkansas was his dream job but that Nolan would probably be there forever.
Please take him out to eat and buy him a two lb ribeye and a jar of moonshine!  :D

WarPig88

Self was never coming despite all the rumor mongering about it.

Broyles and White believed that they could win here with an "up and comer" type coach. Nearly every coach that they interviewed was an up and comer.

Any run made at Self was for show only. The committee at the time was impressed with the likes of Porter Moser from UALR.

It was a bonus that Heath was black, but he was also the hottest name amongst the up and comers in the collegiate game at the time.

What they did in committing to hire an up and comer was the equivalent of giving a 14 year old kid with a drivers permit a new lambo.

Total negligence on the part of Broyles and White.