What DO You Think of Coach Anderson?

Started by revolution, January 17, 2015, 11:30:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

What's your assessment right now?

I support him without reservation.
55 (15.9%)
I'm starting to have some doubts.
88 (25.4%)
I think he deserves this year and next to get us to the tourney.
42 (12.1%)
I think he should not be retained if we miss the Dance this year.
104 (30%)
I never wanted him and still don't.
58 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 336

HawgTrough

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on January 18, 2015, 09:37:58 am
Disagree, 100%.

" GO HOGS "
Lol. What have you seen in the last 15 years of below average play that gives you hope?
WPS

ChicoHog

Quote from: Kevin on January 17, 2015, 11:36:46 pm
didn't want him, still don't.

we are getting the program i figured we would get.
Ditto. 

10yrsofhell

My question is, why did the ad give him a 2 year extension? What's the rush? Those kind of decisions need to be made after the season. CMA has assembled some talented players, Qualls and Portis are better now than when they got here offensively. CMA's defense and rebounding and player toughness are a train wreck and that is why he will never consistently win on the road.

I don't understand why anyone would want to keep this guy if he doesn't make the tourney this year with the talent he has. I feel sorry for the players, especially Portis. Its not their fault.
"Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past."
― George Orwell, 1984
"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."
― George Orwell, 1984

porkinsons disease

"he punkin' us. Settle in guys, he will be here for quite a while longer
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

harrisburghog

Does Jeff Long want to win? Sure. Is it a top priority with him? No.

hobhog

MA has lost the fan base this season. He turns it around and makes he dance, fine. Otherwise he is toast. Probably stay another year but no one will care. I don't and will not support him any longer.

HiggiePiggy

I am a fan of Mike Anderson.   I was happy when he was hired.  Now I am ready for him to go if he can't make the dance this year.    This conference has been bad his entire time here and we still continue to look like a crap team on the road and the defense this year has been very disturbing. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

jkstock04

Quote from: TrueBlue on January 18, 2015, 09:05:11 am
Two years into the CBB era and our football team (which was a dumpster fire), is a top 25-30 team.

Four years into the CMA era and our basketball team might not be a top 60-70 team at the end of the year. (I know we are technically #19 now, but that won't last especially if we keep playing like the last two games.)

Last time I looked, it only takes five players and good coaching for a decent basketball team......takes many more for a football team which was in a mess when CBB took over.

How long do we have to make amends to Nolan? If there was not the connection with Nolan, would we continually give a "pass" to CMA?
Zero doubt that if it weren't for the Nolan Richardson connection, the leash wouldn't be so long. He can thank Nolan Richardson for that. In fact, I would go as far to say that if it weren't for this connection...he would without a doubt be on the hot seat this year....NCAA's or bust.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Kevin

If it was not for 1994, he would not be here
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

The Hogfather

My 1st choice was Marshall, but I still liked the Anderson hire.  He's been successful at two worse programs.  He's proven he can turn around programs in the dumps.  I really thought he'd do it here.  Looking less and less likely, for whatever reason.

The Hogfather

Kevin--That's not necessarily true.  He is a proven coach.

Kevin

Quote from: The Hogfather on January 18, 2015, 10:43:54 am

He would not have left mizzuo, with no ties here.

With no ties here, there would not have been a public outcry for him to come
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

RussVegas Hawg

Quote from: HawgTrough on January 18, 2015, 09:07:37 am
Arkansas will never be relevant again. No big time coach will take this job. Nolan set the bar too high

Disagree 1000%

As far as MA he's starting to lose me after last night. You can't lose at home to an avg at best ole piss team the way we did and be ok with it.

Porcine Coprolite

My opinion of MA hasn't changed since he was hired by the UoA.  He's not a great coach.  He's not a terrible coach.  He's average, maybe slightly above average.  The only objection I have is that he is being paid like he's an exceptional coach.

The Hogfather

His record shows him to be a good coach.  I'm just shocked we're not better than we are right now.

Albert Einswine

I think he's an average/good coach, not elite and not made up of the same ingredients to replicate Nolan, or even Sutton.

But I think he's a nice guy and a good man.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Breems

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 18, 2015, 08:50:57 am
I quit watching. When I know we're going to lose to Tennessee, and when I know we're going to lose to Ole Miss, it's done. I hate this style, I hate this waste of talent, I hate watching an incompetent coach grope for answers. This looks exactly like Nolan did in his first season, when he had Eddie's mess. Nolan couldn't coach Eddie's style, and his players couldn't play his, and part of his team had serious off-court issues. That = this. Problem is, Nolan could take this team and beat Tennessee and Ole Miss by 30. MA's done.

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 19, 2014, 06:29:52 pm
In conference play especially on the road, I can't see much happening that is planned. Not much forethought. A lot of hoping and wishing, and afterwards, blaming. Coaches are throwing players out there and asking them to "play gud." I cannot stand it any longer.

Being a Razorback fan is a waste of time and money, at least during the seasons. You are fine with football from now until the end of August. In the basketball offseason, you can find lots of offseason stories about how Anthlon Bell is being coached up, or Michael Qualls, or about how this team is so much more together. Blah. Blah blah. I surrender. They can win. They can lose. I do not care.

I thought you were done last year. Fo real this year?

Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

elksnort

Quote from: Kevin on January 18, 2015, 09:35:30 am
This tweet from a guy who just charged people $20 to take a picture with the bowl trophy
I heard this the other day.  What's more pathetic asking $20 to get your picture taken with the bowl trophy or the person pays for it??

TeedupHigh

Jeff had to pay and extend MA in order to justify the football coach's pay raises!  Can't have a double standard, would not look good.

RazorPiggie

No tourney this year he should be gone because if we lose Qualls and Portis we aren't making it next year.

popcornhog

Quote from: elksnort on January 18, 2015, 11:39:35 am
I heard this the other day.  What's more pathetic asking $20 to get your picture taken with the bowl trophy or the person pays for it??

I agree that it was silly, but you're mischaracterizing it.

I just went back and looked at the email. The $20 included a ticket to the game as well. It sounds like it may have contributed to the first sellout of the year.
WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: TeedupHigh on January 18, 2015, 11:56:36 am
Jeff had to pay and extend MA in order to justify the football coach's pay raises!  Can't have a double standard, would not look good.

Mike didn't get a raise.
WPS

Großer Kriegschwein

System doesn't look close enough to Nolan's for my liking. Zero points in transition against Ole Miss would have caused Nolan to have a conniption fit.

But my liking isn't what matters.
This is my non-signature signature.

Pork Twain

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 18, 2015, 10:40:25 am
Just for the fun of it, what do you base that observation on?
There is nothing to support that stance at all
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Hedgehog79

I never wanted him and still don't    :puke:

elkhog

Four years is plenty of time to make the tourney.  My tentative optimism balloon was popped last night. 
If you can't get it done by year four, you ain't the man for the job.
GO HOGS!!!

hogsanity

We have gotten exactly what those of us who were not excited about MA thought we would get: minimal yearly improvement, huge doses of nostalgia, & a coach that will be here until he doesn't want to be. 

Now he is faced with his best two players and top 3 scorers all leaving after this season. And pinning all hope on Whitt next year & praying he can get Monk for 1 season in 2 years.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

GuvHog

Bull. Truth be told If it weren't for Mike's connection to Nolan, he would not have been offered the head Hog job. He wouldn't have even been on the list of possible hires.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: OTR on January 18, 2015, 08:28:18 am
He's not going anywhere after getting an extension.  Too much egg on long's face.  He will be here a minimum of two years after this one and more than likely do just enough to stay here until he is ready to retire.

Anyone who thinks we are going to be a top ten program again is delusional.  It isn't going to happen.  We will be above average and might make the tournament once in a while.  His players are here, his system is in place.  And we're still inconsistent and play like we are playing pick up games way too often.  This is his system.  Let the players with great athletic ability go out and either win or lose based on whether or not we can out athlete the other team.  If we catch a team shooting lights out we do not have the ability to change defenses to disrupt their tempo and have them play our styke, even at home. 

On another note Ole miss, when they are on their game, is a whole lot better than most teams. 

Fcj....I read his posts.  Is he leaving the door cracked slightly to turn on mike if we keep losing and don't make the tourney...them we lose portis to the nba...wait another year and don't get monk...could be a fascinating case study if he turns.  I for one want a front row seat for that.

Jeff Long may not be making that decision. Never, EVER underestimate the power of the BOT and their willingness to force Long's hand.

The NewEra

It's year four and he hasn't proven himself to be a really good coach here. This is a what have you done for me lately business and I hope he makes some significant strides very soon.

arcowboy

I hear almost every game the announcers will say Anderson is a good coach, has won everywhere he has been. then the very next sentence say he had always had a problem with winning on the road.   Duh!  That is not a good coach.

Overtheroadtruckdriver

Quote from: GuvHog on January 18, 2015, 01:29:22 pm
Jeff Long may not be making that decision. Never, EVER underestimate the power of the BOT and their willingness to force Long's hand.

I completely underestimate the BOT as long as Long is the ad.  He is calling the shots and is more powerful than anyone at the University for better or worse.  He gave the extension and he will stay as long as we win 20 or so most years.  A national championship or even a  final four seems impossible.  We are no closer to that than we were under 40 minutes of Pel. 

GuvHog

Quote from: OTR on January 18, 2015, 02:26:46 pm
I completely underestimate the BOT as long as Long is the ad.  He is calling the shots and is more powerful than anyone at the University for better or worse.  He gave the extension and he will stay as long as we win 20 or so most years.  A national championship or even a  final four seems impossible.  We are no closer to that than we were under 40 minutes of Pel. 

Wrong. The BOT has the most power. They can terminate Long if they want to.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on January 18, 2015, 08:28:59 am
I like the Hogs so I will keep watching. Pretty sure you will too. We are 13-4 right now. Only two losses where we were never really in the game this year were to Ole miss and Iowa State. Neither one of those teams suck.

Still on track to get to the tourney but there are some glaring problems that need to be fixed.

Sorry TimBee, but Arkansas should never lose at home to Ile Piss. Quit acting as if Ole Piss is great.

Overtheroadtruckdriver

Quote from: GuvHog on January 18, 2015, 02:30:02 pm
Wrong. The BOT has the most power. They can terminate Long if they want to.

It is more likely that forrest city joe turns on mike Anderson THIS WEEK than the BOT to fire Long.  He may walk away or take another position but the petrino episode and his position on the committee makes him as untouchable as Broyles at the height of his power. 

PLUS forrest city joe himself is starting to like long more and more.  That ought to tell you all you need to know.

WilsonHog

Quote from: jkstock04 on January 18, 2015, 10:41:10 am
Zero doubt that if it weren't for the Nolan Richardson connection, the leash wouldn't be so long. He can thank Nolan Richardson for that. In fact, I would go as far to say that if it weren't for this connection...he would without a doubt be on the hot seat this year....NCAA's or bust.

Completely accurate. He has a safety net built largely on the accomplishments of someone else, but the ropes are fraying.

Atlhogfan1

Attendance for OM:  19,200
Attendance isn't what it once was but is still very good relative to college basketball.
APR is fixed.
Off the field seems under control.
Team is competitive.
Program has given the appearance it is slightly improving.

An AD of an SEC program other than UK will know that football is #1 even if your football program faces an uphill battle your basketball program shouldn't and knows baseball can bring in some revenue too especially one with a venue like ours.  He doesn't want to spend energy, time, effort or risk in having to find another basketball coach.  Reserve that for football.   

In our very unique case that we chose to get into with a "personal" coach for basketball, Long doesn't want to have to deal with considering having to making a change.  The odds of this ending well were never good.  It would require we have a high level of sustained success and Coach A retires. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Sivad

Nice guy.
Protected by nostalgia.
Overpaid.
Below average basketball coach.
No other schools will try to hire him.
Will be at Arkansas as long as he wants no matter his win/loss record.

Maddhog

This forum was barely tolerable during Pel's final year.  We all knew it was time for a change but the majority of the fans on here were absolutely convinced that we HAD to have Mike Anderson, HAD to return to Hawgball.   I was not violently opposed but I was not comfortable with the idea - to put it mildly.   In all honesty, we are getting about what I expected - enough wins to satisfy the AD and keep the extensions coming but not enough wins to make the fans happy.   I doubt we make the tournament this year and would be stunned if we make it next year.  People won't invest their hard earned money in a program that continues to be nationally irrelevant.   

I take NO joy in being right.  I am sad.

"He hits from both sides of the plate.  He's amphibious."

Maddhog

To be fair, I do commend Coach Anderson for getting the APR issue fixed.   Coach Anderson is also a decent man and is doing an admirable job of keeping his players' behavior under control.   

The big crowd yesterday was, for the most part, due to honoring the football team and recognizing the bowl victory.
"He hits from both sides of the plate.  He's amphibious."

HogBreath

I think Coach Anderson is good at rasslin bars, probably a better bar rassler than he is basketball coach.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

hogs25

Quote from: OTR on January 18, 2015, 08:28:18 am
He's not going anywhere after getting an extension.  Too much egg on long's face.  He will be here a minimum of two years after this one and more than likely do just enough to stay here until he is ready to retire.

Anyone who thinks we are going to be a top ten program again is delusional.  It isn't going to happen.  We will be above average and might make the tournament once in a while.  His players are here, his system is in place.  And we're still inconsistent and play like we are playing pick up games way too often.  This is his system.  Let the players with great athletic ability go out and either win or lose based on whether or not we can out athlete the other team.  If we catch a team shooting lights out we do not have the ability to change defenses to disrupt their tempo and have them play our styke, even at home. 

On another note Ole miss, when they are on their game, is a whole lot better than most teams. 

Fcj....I read his posts.  Is he leaving the door cracked slightly to turn on mike if we keep losing and don't make the tourney...them we lose portis to the nba...wait another year and don't get monk...could be a fascinating case study if he turns.  I for one want a front row seat for that.

Isn't the buyout only a million?  Hence the reason for drafting up new papers. 

hellwonthaveme

Quote from: jkstock04 on January 18, 2015, 10:41:10 am

He has fixed a horrible APR situation. That gives Mike a long leash.

But Mike is coaching like he is comfortable....

PRJ

WilsonHog

Quote from: Porkrind Jimmy on January 18, 2015, 04:41:05 pm

But Mike is coaching like he is comfortable....

PRJ

He likely is. Nolan had something to prove, and he was going to do it. Mike is where he wants to be, nearing the end of the ride. Has his dream job, living and working where he has always wanted to.

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: HawgTrough on January 18, 2015, 09:48:10 am
Lol. What have you seen in the last 15 years of below average play that gives you hope?

I see Bud Walton arena, I see an AD willing to pay for the correct coach (and if MA were to not work out I'm confident he, JL, would make every effort to make the correct hire) and a fan base that supports The Hogs.
Arkansas has played basketball since 1924 and our record is 1581-886 for a total of 2467 games. During the last 15 years we have played 456 of that 2467 (18%) so to think that our last 15 years of basketball success predetermines our future basketball success, as we move forward, is inaccurate.

" GO HOGS "

hellwonthaveme

Quote from: WilsonHog on January 18, 2015, 04:43:48 pm
He likely is. Nolan had something to prove, and he was going to do it. Mike is where he wants to be, nearing the end of the ride. Has his dream job, living and working where he has always wanted to.

I agree and unless he totally tanks....a couple of years where we get 11, 12 wins....Mike will be here till he doesn't want to be....

I love Mike and wanted him here but I also agree 4 years in, and we get this week? Disappointing and unacceptable.

PRJ

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Porkrind Jimmy on January 18, 2015, 04:41:05 pm

MA just happened to be coach when the 2007-08 single year 755 score rolled off the four-year average APR score (the one that counts). It was getting fixed before MA got here.

MA's most recent single year APR score was a disappointing 902. The NCAA's four year benchmark/requirement score is 930. Our four-year WAS 951, but it's now just 937.

"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 18, 2015, 04:53:55 pm
I've wondered about this for some time - what exactly has MA done to fix this AND why is the University so indebted to MA for this? 

I recall the APR situation was very serious at one point but it's not like MA sat the players down individually to tutor them.  Can someone please point out an article or a thread that discusses this situation and MA's role in it?

Signed players like Wagner who did not belong at this level.  Didn't chase players off to make room to bring in his own players faster. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HSVhogfan2

I thought he would get the job done and he still may, but I would bet he gets this year and one more, maybe two. Hell, give him an office in the new Basketball (non)Performance center with a flat screen on his wall to watch replays of the 94 season.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

Pig Worshipper

Personally, I like Mike Anderson and wanted him to get his chance at coaching the Razorbacks but he has done a much worse job than I expected. I didn't expect to hang any more NCAA championship banners but I expected to be much more competitive and among the top college basketball programs. Obviously this hasn't happened. He should be given one more year to perform and then be let go if the mediocrity continues.

He had it all - excitement of the fan base, strong support from the athletic director and great good will from Arkansans. So far, he appears to have squandered it. Maybe he'll do better with his back against the wall. I certainly hope so, for his sake AND ours. Changing coaches again will set the program back once more but it seems it may be necessary.